Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anyone else brave enough to step up the challenge?

Iron Chef Journal #10.1
October 10, 2015, 9:47 pm, GMT +8

Chef Nightingales is the first challenger to issue a challenge against me. The team that he made has greater potential than his teams in the previous rounds (and it contained one of my favorite Pokemon), but that fell short with all those series of unfortunate events. [[tl;dr: won vs. Nightingales; GG.]]

Chef LetMeShine- issued a challenge against me. He made a team with great potential, but pressured too much by Fire spam in which I managed to exploit through my Rotom-Heat. Alongside Shedinja, I managed to win that game against him. [[tl;dr: won vs. LetMeShine-; GG.]]

Chef Mahmudkipz issued a challenge against me. One Pokemon in his team really scared me; but he didn't get the opportunity to switch that in which consequently won me the game. If he had that opportunity, he will manage to 6-0 that team. [[tl;dr: won vs. MahMudkipz; GG.]]

Chef newfren issued a challenge against me. Early-game mind games and my Espeon's frightening presence dismantled his team throughout the game, thus he decided to withdraw from the challenge. [[tl;dr: won vs. newfren; GG.]]

The Chairman Hogg issued a challenge to me in a surprising fashion (and it is understandable with the round being so quiet). While he feared that he doesn't want to face my very old team, he still managed to pull off the win against me in nearly a hundred turns of action! [[tl;dr: lost vs. Hogg; GG.]]

Chef Lixx issued a challenge against me. My Whimsicott managed to trigger the Linoone sweep (though I thought one of his Pokemon can survive a +6 Extreme Speed, so I have to tread carefully). Ultimately, I managed to execute that sweep with the right circumstances. [[tl;dr: won vs. Lixx; GG.]]

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alright, it is time for the reveal!

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor

Infernape @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- Confide

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Poison Fang

Iron Chef Replays:

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
Happiness: 0
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Here is my team for the iron chef round 10. It's a fighting spam with Pangoro+Meleotta-p, With these two i've paired futur-sight Reuniclus to pressure the ghosts/flying type they can't come in easily. With that, Heliolisk scarfed is here as a revenge killer because my team have a huge lack of speed (unless meloetta). Gligar is here because i really need the stealth rock to do more damages on the team of the opponent, and Doublade is here to having a priority user, and cover the weakness.

Iron Chef Replays:

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Frustration
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Venomoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Iron Chef Replays:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 52 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

My goal here was to build a bulky balance team around the defensive backbone of Mega-Aggron and Umbreon, with Specs Heliolisk to provide speed, momentum and power. MAggron and Umbreon wall everything in the tier that isn't a fighting type and provide a metric craptop of utility with Heal Bell, hazards and Roar, so I made sure that my remaining three 'mons could all use Fighting types as setup bait. Since I lacked Defog, I went for Defog Gligar, who could also form a little mini-VoltTurn core with Heliolisk and give me a slow U-turn to get my sweepers in. For those sweepers, I went with bulky Bulk Up Tornadus and DD MoxieMence. Tornadus is a nice revenge killer in general, with solid bulk and enough Speed with this spread to outpace base 85s. With RestTalk and a powerful Acrobatics, Tornadus can set up on a wide variety of 'mons, doing especially well against fighting types. DD MoxieMence is just a monster and a half, and the popularity of special Salamence means that a lot of teams just aren't prepared for it.

I've been pretty successful with the team overall. Though I lost to two of my Iron Chefs (though the game against LilOu could have easily gone a very different direction), I also used the team in two roomtours and won one and came in second in the other.

Regarding the theme, while I didn't go for any of the cuter sound moves like Relic Song or Parting Shot, this team was definitely built around the power of Heliolisk's Specs-boosted Hyper Voice, which is just an incredibly spammable move. While this is also backed up with reliable utility moves like Roar and Heal Bell (whyyyy isn't Heal Bell a sound move wtf), Specs Heliolisk is definitely the real hero of the team.

Iron Chef Replays:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grass Whistle
- Outrage
- Leaf Blade

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Earthquake

Chatot @ Salac Berry
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Chatter
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Echoed Voice
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Shadow Ball

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Iron Chef Replays:

We had two additional competitors, newfren and Lixx, but both decided to withdraw their submission this round. However, since you did submit teams and challenge an Iron Chef, let me know if you change your mind in the next 24 hours or so and I'll add you back in.

Also, Nightingales, please submit your teams to me ASAP!

Judging will remain open until Sunday, October 18, 2015!

Last edited:
Alright, it is time for the reveal!

Nightingales - please submit your team to me ASAP!

Iron Chef Replays:

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Heliolisk @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Here is my team for the iron chef round 10. It's a fighting spam with Pangoro+Meleotta-p, With these two i've paired futur-sight Reuniclus to pressure the ghosts/flying type they can't come in easily. With that, Heliolisk scarfed is here as a revenge killer because my team have a huge lack of speed (unless meloetta). Gligar is here because i really need the stealth rock to do more damages on the team of the opponent, and Doublade is here to having a priority user, and cover the weakness.

Iron Chef Replays:

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Frustration
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Venomoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Iron Chef Replays:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tornadus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 52 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

My goal here was to build a bulky balance team around the defensive backbone of Mega-Aggron and Umbreon, with Specs Heliolisk to provide speed, momentum and power. MAggron and Umbreon wall everything in the tier that isn't a fighting type and provide a metric craptop of utility with Heal Bell, hazards and Roar, so I made sure that my remaining three 'mons could all use Fighting types as setup bait. Since I lacked Defog, I went for Defog Gligar, who could also form a little mini-VoltTurn core with Heliolisk and give me a slow U-turn to get my sweepers in. For those sweepers, I went with bulky Bulk Up Tornadus and DD MoxieMence. Tornadus is a nice revenge killer in general, with solid bulk and enough Speed with this spread to outpace base 85s. With RestTalk and a powerful Acrobatics, Tornadus can set up on a wide variety of 'mons, doing especially well against fighting types. DD MoxieMence is just a monster and a half, and the popularity of special Salamence means that a lot of teams just aren't prepared for it.

I've been pretty successful with the team overall. Though I lost to two of my Iron Chefs (though the game against LilOu could have easily gone a very different direction), I also used the team in two roomtours and won one and came in second in the other.

Regarding the theme, while I didn't go for any of the cuter sound moves like Relic Song or Parting Shot, this team was definitely built around the power of Heliolisk's Specs-boosted Hyper Voice, which is just an incredibly spammable move. While this is also backed up with reliable utility moves like Roar and Heal Bell (whyyyy isn't Heal Bell a sound move wtf), Specs Heliolisk is definitely the real hero of the team.

Iron Chef Replays:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grass Whistle
- Outrage
- Leaf Blade

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Earthquake

Chatot @ Salac Berry
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Chatter
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Echoed Voice
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Shadow Ball

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Iron Chef Replays:

We had two additional competitors, newfren and Lixx, but both decided to withdraw their submission this round. However, since you did submit teams and challenge an Iron Chef, let me know if you change your mind in the next 24 hours or so and I'll add you back in.

Also, Nightingales, please submit your teams to me ASAP!

Judging will remain open until Sunday, October 18, 2015!
In it soon as I get home.

Euphonos

Wow. The Chairman is the only one who won an Iron Chef match. This round is quite tough, isn't it?

Iron Chef Euphonos here rating teams as promised!

CREATIVITY: 4 / 5
Ahhhh. I have never seen a team incorporating a Shedinja in any Iron Chef team. You had a unconventional choices in Nasty Plot Infernape, a Rough Skin Mega Sharpedo with Poison Fang and Aqua Jet, and Crobat with Confide that would warrant you high creativity points here.

USE OF THEME: 3.5 / 5
Roar on Suicune is standard and is very helpful to your team. While Confide on Crobat seems interesting, I feel like it's "slapped" to fulfill the quota. Therefore, I'd give a fairly average score here.

EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5 / 10
Finally, I can see greater potential in your team this time. Flying attacks could seriously overwhelm your team; that is the biggest flaw I could pinpoint there. In particular, a well-played Tornadus and/or Fletchinder could damage this team so bad. Also, you had a teambuilder error wherein Sharpedo had Rough Skin by default due to submitting Mega Sharpedo immediately. Otherwise, it's a very solid team that could reach to great heights.
TOTAL SCORE: 13.5 / 20

CREATIVITY: 4.5 / 5
You had great choices in your team such as Relic Song Meloetta, Future Sight Reuniclus with Leftovers (that was a bold move right there; not gonna lie about it), and finally, Pangoro. In all seriousness, I wanted to have a team with Pangoro in it. With your team, I felt more jealous but I have this motivation to build a team with it. As such, you have a considerably high score in this criterion.

Despite somehow "predictable" choices of the Pokemon you have with sound moves, they are enough to fulfill their roles very well, hence a fairly average score here.

Your team had amazing potential, but what held back from fully realizing that potential is the lack of Fire resists (notably Special ones) which I have exploited in our Iron Chef battle. I'd give a little bonus for not having a Bulky Water (or a Fire resist) in your team, but I find it more necessary to have one here. I would seriously consider replacing Reuniclus with Slowking to remedy that situation (and Assault Vest is a better option, too).
TOTAL SCORE: 14.5 / 20

CREATIVITY: 2 / 5
Here's a pretty generic offensive team. Aside from putting Bullet Punch on Lucario, the rest is bog standard.

Despite somehow "predictable" choices of the Pokemon you have with sound moves, they are enough to fulfill their roles very well, hence a fairly average score here.
This is, no doubt, an offensive team with great potential, because two-thirds of your team contains set-up sweepers. You just have to make sure that you shouldn't provide any free turn from your opponent, lest a well-played set-up Pokemon will decimate your whole team.
TOTAL SCORE: 12 / 20

CREATIVITY: 3 / 5
I was actually expecting more from you as the Chairman of Iron Chef in terms of creativity. Although the team is solid, the creativity part is quite disappointing, apart from holding Heliolisk with Choice Specs (which is rather uncommon) and using Bulk Up Tornadus (one of my favorite sets). As such, I give you a fairly average score in this criterion.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8 / 10
This is one of the most solid teams I've ever encountered this round. While there were some flaws in the team (which consequently did not help in two of those Iron Chef matches), notably the massive Ice weakness, I can see the direction where this team is going, and as such, I find it very effective.
TOTAL SCORE: 14.5 / 20

CREATIVITY: 4.5 / 5
While you have some pretty standard sets, you never fail to impress me with some of your unconventional choices--notably, for this round, Grass Whistle Mega Sceptile (which I used to some extent), SubSalac Chatot, and Echoed Voice Blissey.

USE OF THEME: 4.5 / 5
I'd put a 3.5 here due to the "predictable" choices of the Pokemon you have with sound moves; however, majority of your team has at least one sound move in it, and you managed to incorporate most of those sound moves to your advantage (like, Grass Whistle on Mega Sceptile to set up Swords Dance; incorporating Thunder Wave on Blissey to execute Echoed Voice, and such).

EFFECTIVENESS: 7 / 10
While you managed to defeat me in the special Iron Chef match, there were some flaws I could exploit in the duration of the match. First of all, you lack something to switch into (physical) Dragon attacks. If it were a very standard Dragon Dance Salamence set, you'll be in for some trouble. However, I could actually see the direction where your team is going based on the build, so I find this quite effective in retrospect.
TOTAL SCORE: 16 / 20

Last edited:

Euphonos

vexyyyy, I have one little request.

Since your Iron Chef replay with LilOu didn't work, I wanted to battle you for the sake of your team's EFFECTIVENESS. Maybe it could be a chance of redemption from your loss earlier, so count this as one of your Iron Chef matches once we meet each other. I will do my best to make a comment on its effectiveness immediately after the match.

Tagging Hogg about this request.

vexyyyy, I have one little request.

Since your Iron Chef replay with LilOu didn't work, I wanted to battle you for the sake of your team's EFFECTIVENESS. Maybe it could be a chance of redemption from your loss earlier, so count this as one of your Iron Chef matches once we meet each other. I will do my best to make a comment on its effectiveness immediately after the match.

Tagging Hogg about this request.
sure, it was rather unfortunate ;-; i would of won but i missed with a compound eyes thunder

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
when is this round over? XD
You've won this round! I'll do an official write-up with all the scores later today.

I've been thinking about some big changes to the competition to keep it more relevant, as I feel like both interest and quality have been declining a bit in the last few rounds. Expect some big changes soon!

Last edited:
You've won this round! I'll do an official write-up with all the scores later today.

I've been thinking about some big changes to the competition to keep it more relevant, as I feel like both interest and quality have been declining a bit in the last few rounds. Expect some big changes soon!
Maybe starting a new thread with your big changes will bring some of the hype back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)