Invisible Shoddy Files

I use a mac, first off. I also know next to nothing about computers. Hopefully this is a stupidly easy question that can be effortlessly solved by someone here.

Shoddy worked just fine the first time I downloaded it, and even provided a shortcut that I placed in my applications folder. This problem started after I deleted it the first time.

This has been a mystery to me for a while. Whenever I download the shoddy battle program from the 'download here' link on the page, a java icon file comes up on my download window but then immediately disappears. My saved teams remain in my documents folder and can be used each time.

When this happens with anything else I download, the file usually ends up being displayed on my desktop, but shoddy battle is nowhere to be seen. I am still able to play the game, because the program opens as soon as I download it. The problem is, I have to download a new program each time I want to play, because the old one disappears completely as soon as I close out of the window. I even tried searching with the 'Finder' application all over my computer for a shoddy related file, but there is none.

Normally, I would not care about this, but I started noticing that each time I download shoddy again in order to play it (the old file is nowhere to be found), my disk loses some space, meaning these files are being stuffed somewhere where I am unable to detect them--garbage that piles up but is invisible. I imagine there are over seventy shoddy files stashed in some hidden place on my computer. I want to know where to find them all and how to delete them. I only need one shoddy file, after all, and believe it or not, my laptop will eventually run out of disk space.

Where can I find these sneaky files? What is going on here? Has anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon?

I use a mac as well, and I had a similar problem. The difference was my applications shortcut kept disappearing. I don't know about finding your files, but you can try my solution. Go to the download page of Shoddy Battle (http://shoddybattle.com/downloads) and copy that one line of code. Then open Terminal (Applications>Utilities>Terminal) and paste that code there. Terminal should find the file and start up Shoddy.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Try typing "Java Preferences" into Finder. Open the file that appears from the search. Go to the "Network" tab and click "Delete files...". Answer "Ok" to the prompt that appears. Redownload shoddy battle from http://shoddybattle.com/downloads and run shoddybattle.jnlp. You should be prompted to verify a signature. Click Ok. It should display a "downloading application" window. After the application is finished downloading, a prompt asking you were to save ShoddyBattle.app should appear. Change the 'save to' directory to your applications folder and click "Ok". After this, the Shoddy Battle icon should always appear in your applications folder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)