Other Inverse Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it'd make sense if Dark didn't affect Psychic, while Psychic is super effective against Dark.
Using the same logic, Ground wouldn't affect Electric, Flying wouldn't affect Ground, Ghost wouldn't affect Fighting...

Nah.. looking at it again, sounds too complicated.

Thrash is what I believe is meant. And yes, it would be just as good as Outrage has been in previous years, only nothing can switch into it safely unless they are incredibly physically bulky.

Shoot, I said what I meant wrong. Thanks for correcting me though.

I'm pretty sure Stealth Rock would work inversely as well, since the damage it outputs takes type resistance into account.
As luck would have it my first inverse battle was against a rhyperior who used stealth rock, and I can confirm it works inversely as well. Talonflame took almost nothing from it while Chesnaught lost 25% of its health.

Thrash is a legitimately competitive move now. Resisted by NOTHING (not even Outrage in its prime could claim that) and SE on Rock, Steel, and Ghost. I can see Thrash becoming a game breaker in this metagame. How does SR work? Is it standard or do you flip the multiplier?

EDIT: So Stealth Rock is confirmed inverse. Cool. Pokemon with a SR resistance in IBs that also get Thrash are Dodrio, Pinsir (especially Mega Pinsir with that 4x resistance), non-Mega Gyarados, Darmanitan, Archeops, Beartic, Braviary, Volcarona, Tornadus, Thundurus, Arcanine, Rapidash, Typhlosion, Salamence, and any Gen VI Pokemon (not listed on Bulbapedia) that meet the requirements.

The idea of Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Jirachi losing 1/4 health on switching in is so bizarre, also Rhyperior losing 1/2 of its health is just wat. Most good defensive Pokemon resist rocks, so this may really help offense in this meta, on the other hand Zapdos just got much better.

Last edited:
The idea of Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Jirachi losing 1/4 health on switching in is so bizarre, also Rhyperior losing 1/2 of its health is just wat. Most good defensive Pokemon resist rocks, so this may really help offense in this meta, on the other hand Zapdos just got much better.
But tyranitar doesn't resist rock......

Return will be ridiculous in Inverse. Thrash is an 18 BP increase in exchange for locking yourself in. Not worth it.
"locking in"
Dude
Its a 120bp unresisted attack, that is hardly a lock.

Normal types are unresisted. They can afford to run mono-attacking sets. They can run Thrash. Normal is awesome. I'm thinking Choice Band Thrash Ursaring and RestTalk CurseLax.
Grass and Bug now hit 7 types SE. And since Normal now guarantees perfect neutral coverage, they can probably afford to use a Grass/Bug STAB and a Normal Coverage move, then two status moves. It's powerful stuff!
Fighting picks up an extra SE too.
Dragon Returns to its Gen 4 status but with slightly more weaknesses.
Ice becomes a killer Defensive type.
Ghost, Steel and Fire become defensively awful. Ghost's only redeeming factor is being able to hit Normal Types SE.
Poison loses its defensive capabilities but picks up some SE power.

It's an interesting game to be sure. You don't wanna be weak to Normal, Grass, Bug or Fighting, since they're probably the top tier types.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
You know what I find ironic about this meta? Gengar stays just as threatening as ever.

Ghost/Fighting is STILL perfect coverage. You know a Pokemon is good when it can stay OU for 6 Gens straight AND when the type chart is flipped on its head.

You know what I find ironic about this meta? Gengar stays just as threatening as ever.

Ghost/Fighting is STILL perfect coverage. You know a Pokemon is good when it can stay OU for 6 Gens straight AND when the type chart is flipped on its head.
That poison typing of his does become more of a liability. It also becomes 4X weak to fighting because of it. Still, he never was good at taking hits that much. Just dishing them out.

Speaking of Fighting, I think even in inverse it'd be a hugely valuable attacking type. for its spread of coverage.

Yeah, as I said Fighting actually gets better in inverse. At least, from a numerical perspective.

Gengar also picks up a buttload of weaknesses. Normal, Bug, Fighting and Grass all hit him Super Effectively. 2 of them 4x. It's going to be very hard for Gengar to switch in.

Also, Breloom and Chesnaut are awesome in this with their Grass/Fighting typing. So is Sawsbuck for that matter.

Maybe an actual fighting type with ghost coverage added would be a better employment of the type combo of Ghost/Fighting then. I wanted to say Lucario with Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball but then I realized that Lucario gets the shaft because he's got that liability of a Steel type.

I know Steel became a terrible defensive type, but it actually gained some cool coverage offensively, hitting Fire, Water, Electric, and other Steel types super effectively. If the flying types took off in the meta, they might have a reason to run Steel Wing.

Gengar also picks up a buttload of weaknesses. Normal, Bug, Fighting and Grass all hit him Super Effectively. 2 of them 4x. It's going to be very hard for Gengar to switch in.
The thing about Gengar is if you ain't stoppin, and ya ain't killin, then you ain't usin him right.

Well, it also picked up weaknesses to Quick Attack, Extremespeed, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave. That's a lot of anti-gengar priority.
I know Steel became a terrible defensive type, but it actually gained some cool coverage offensively, hitting Fire, Water, Electric, and other Steel types super effectively. If the flying types took off in the meta, they might have a reason to run Steel Wing.
Possibly, but most of those types get nerfed in Inverse. Water gets 4 weakness and only 2 resists, with no net offensive gain (though they can check Grass types). Fire types have 6 weaknesses and only half as many resists, again with no net offensive gain. And steels beating steels is just... self-defeating really. So you get some offensive coveage, but its against types who will probably be relatively unused, while leaving you vulnerable to most everything else.

That's not to say all pokemon of thise types are immediately condemned of course. Lucario might actually be usable - as you said, it gets Ghost/Fighting coverage and a now unresisted Extremespeed.

Holy shit, anyone who still has an extremespeed Linoone around can really clean up.

FakeOut/LastResort is now not only a viable strategy, but incredibly powerful.

Also fast Guts users, thanks to Facade being a 140 attack before STAB boosts. Guts Ursaring with Facade/QuickAttack/SwordsDance and laugh all day.

Normal-types will be insanely broken in Inverse. It'll be like the good ol' days of Outrage spam in Gen V, except there's not even a Steel-type you can wall Thrash with. And seeing as how Normal-types, especially early Normal-types, have movepools out the arse...

EDIT: And now Bug is a potent attacking type that resists SR. Oh, the Beemanity!

Holy shit, anyone who still has an extremespeed Linoone around can really clean up.
Belly Drum Extremespeed Linoone has waited 8 years for a metagame that he can call home. He has found one. And now, he doesn't even NEED to rely on crap coverage to begin the slaughter (though IIRC Seed Bomb should have some cool SEs.)

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I find it sad how abomnasnow and aurora thing have the best defensive and offensive typing in game lol

oh god, Guts Swellow with Facade... D:
Is this a bad time to mention that Swellow is my favorite pokemon, playing mostly UU in Gen 4 just to use him (And still fitting him on all of my OU teams)?

Really I'm just worried that Ursaring can do the Facade user schtick better. Don't know if Quick Feet Ursaring or Guts Swellow is stronger (I'm assuming Swellow), but even then you can run Guts Ursaring if you pass him a speed boost or something. Or you could just run both even, because why would you run anything but 6 Normals with some 120+ STAB attack or another (Surprising number of them in existence, Thrash, DoubleEdge, Facade, that new move that Noivern/Exploud get). The only weakness on a pure Normal type is Ghost, who themselves are weak to STAB Quick Attack and ExtremeSpeeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)