General Introduce yourself!

My favorite part is actually building the teams. It's almost like my desired field of study: engineering. You build it, test it, observe, make tweeks, test, and repeat. Most of my teams actually end up pretty well. I usually go 15 battles with each and my worst was 13-2 (win-lose). Other than that I just build and battle for fun, nothing too serious.

On a tangent, how do you change your profile pic. I don't like Emolga very much. It never stuck with me.
I really enjoy the teambuilding concept as well, to the point where I wish there was an unrated ladder on PS where we could just test teams and play some casual matches. Coincidentally, I'm actually studying engineering at the moment! Do you have your mind set on a particular field?

I really enjoy the teambuilding concept as well, to the point where I wish there was an unrated ladder on PS where we could just test teams and play some casual matches. Coincidentally, I'm actually studying engineering at the moment! Do you have your mind set on a particular field?
Yes, actually I do. Aerospace Engineering is really turning my wheels right now. Aircraft, spacecraft, astronomy. It's great! I'm planning to attend Stanford or GA Tech as soon as I graduate HS. What about you?

Hello everybody, I'm Lucas and I'm from Brazil, I am 24 years old. I Watch Pokemon since I was a kid, my favorite generation is Johto, and my favorite Pokemon is Typhlosion, I really love Fire-Type Pokemon.
Not long ago I came back and started playing Pokemon at Pokemon XY and then after ORAS. I had never played Pokemon in competitive and would like to learn a lot from you.

And I'm sorry if my english is bad
hahahaha :)
Your english isn't a problem man. Nice to meet you! I agree fire types are pretty nice. My favorite fire type would be Heatran just because I've been submerged in competitive battling for quite some time now. He's got so many resistances and minor weaknesses with Air Balloon. But yeah, competitive is like the next level of Pokemon and it's so fun! You should check out more of Smogon whenever you have time. This place is nearly devoted to all sorts of competitive stuff. A good way for you to learn is also through the Rate My Team forums where you see how people build there competitive teams and any other advice people have on it. It's how I taught myself to play competitively.

Anyhow, nice meeting you! I hope you're successful in learning more about competitive!

I'm curious, anyone feel free to answer. What is your favorite kind of team? Is it weather (if so, what weather?), stall, sweep, balance, or storyline. My favorite team would be a tie between a rain team and storyline team. Rain has always been my favorite ever since I went into competitive, when I read all the perks it had (100% Thunder, 50% boost to water, 50% decrease to fire, etc.). Rain teams also allow to use some of my favorite pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, and my beloved Swampert who finally got his deserved Mega in ORAS. On the other hand, storyline teams allow me to experience Pokemon that I never would really choose, even when not playing a nuzlocke. It gives me an appreciation for some underdog Pokemon yet it's so much fun!

So, how about you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious, anyone feel free to answer. What is your favorite kind of team? Is it weather (if so, what weather?), stall, sweep, balance, or storyline. My favorite team would be a tie between a rain team and storyline team. Rain has always been my favorite ever since I went into competitive, when I read all the perks it had (100% Thunder, 50% boost to water, 50% decrease to fire, etc.). Rain teams also allow to use some of my favorite pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, and my beloved Swampert who finally got his deserved Mega in ORAS. On the other hand, storyline teams allow me to experience Pokemon that I never would really choose, even when not playing a nuzlocke. It gives me an appreciation for some underdog Pokemon yet it's so much fun!

So, how about you guys?
There are so many kind of teams that exist. From the ones you mentioned, my favorite would be a storyline team. But that concept can also be very broad. Especially because of the reasons you mentioned; it gives appreciation for underdog Pokemon and it really catches people off guard. Most people don't know what to expect when they see something that doesn't fit in the meta. I like monotype teams as well. It makes me feel like a mini gym leader. I don't like weather teams too much because you're so reliant. Same goes for Tailwind/TR teams. But they're really good nonetheless.

Last edited:
Yes, actually I do. Aerospace Engineering is really turning my wheels right now. Aircraft, spacecraft, astronomy. It's great! I'm planning to attend Stanford or GA Tech as soon as I graduate HS. What about you?
I'm currently studying Biomedical Engineering at the moment. I'd always thought I would end up studying Electrical, but my research experiences during my summers really reawoke my passion for biology.

That's awesome. Personally I plan on persuing Manufacturing Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. They both intrigue me a lot. I plan on going to OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology).

Hello everyone! I'm Cory, nice to meet you. I really don't know what to say in here, so maybe the original post can help me out...

I am on Showdown, and that is the main reason I am here. I'm largely a Little Cup player, and I am hoping that being on the forums will help me sharpen my skills a bit. If the people on the forums are even half as nice as on Showdown, I think I will like talking with everyone in general too, so I might just talk as well.

I'm just a 17 year-old kid who lives in Canada and spends way too much time playing video games. Not a lot to it, but it explains where the bulk of my spare times goes when I can afford it.

My favorite Pokémon game was probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team. I own some of the more traditional games, but I never really got into them because I'd either wipe the floor with whatever Pokémon I decided to catch or I would just get stuck and stop. I got into Showdown after many instances of Googling a Pokémon and reading its Smogon analysis, wondering "What is this about? How could someone be so in-depth about a specific Pokémon?". Eventually I did decide to cut my teeth on OU, but when I tried Little Cup it was sort of on and off for a while.

I hope that I can become a positive member of the Smogon community! I'm glad to be here.

Hello everyone! I'm Cory, nice to meet you. I really don't know what to say in here, so maybe the original post can help me out...

I am on Showdown, and that is the main reason I am here. I'm largely a Little Cup player, and I am hoping that being on the forums will help me sharpen my skills a bit. If the people on the forums are even half as nice as on Showdown, I think I will like talking with everyone in general too, so I might just talk as well.

I'm just a 17 year-old kid who lives in Canada and spends way too much time playing video games. Not a lot to it, but it explains where the bulk of my spare times goes when I can afford it.

My favorite Pokémon game was probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team. I own some of the more traditional games, but I never really got into them because I'd either wipe the floor with whatever Pokémon I decided to catch or I would just get stuck and stop. I got into Showdown after many instances of Googling a Pokémon and reading its Smogon analysis, wondering "What is this about? How could someone be so in-depth about a specific Pokémon?". Eventually I did decide to cut my teeth on OU, but when I tried Little Cup it was sort of on and off for a while.

I hope that I can become a positive member of the Smogon community! I'm glad to be here.
Hey Cory, welcome to the site! Nice to meet you too. I also play Little Cup from time to time on Pokémon Showdown! I want to play LC on Wi-Fi too, but I never really got to it. I think the animations of those NFE Pokemon are really cute. My favorite spin-off is probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue team. I recently did a playthrough on my DS again and I freaking loved it. Still playing, trying to recruit Groudon with the Friend Bow in my pocket.

I personally don't play too much videogames anymore, besides Pokémon. I put a lot of time into Smogon though. But I can manage everything and it doesn't cause problems, so I guess it's alright. When it comes down to it, I have my priorities straight. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, Chesty, Dr Ciel, Erai14, QueBien, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer. We are gladly willing to help you with your questions, if you have them :)

Hope to see you around!

Hey Cory, welcome to the site! Nice to meet you too. I also play Little Cup from time to time on Pokémon Showdown! I want to play LC on Wi-Fi too, but I never really got to it. I think the animations of those NFE Pokemon are really cute. My favorite spin-off is probably Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue team. I recently did a playthrough on my DS again and I freaking loved it. Still playing, trying to recruit Groudon with the Friend Bow in my pocket.

I personally don't play too much videogames anymore, besides Pokémon. I put a lot of time into Smogon though. But I can manage everything and it doesn't cause problems, so I guess it's alright. When it comes down to it, I have my priorities straight. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, Chesty, Dr Ciel, Erai14, QueBien, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer. We are gladly willing to help you with your questions, if you have them :)

Hope to see you around!
Thanks! I will if I think I need the help.

Yeah, the recruitment rates on some of the Pokémon is ridiculous; like Mew, go in with the Music Box and cross over halfway and leave again when you don't find it... For me that was the real goal of the game after a while. I did manage to recruit almost all of the other legendary Pokémon though.

Thanks! I will if I think I need the help.

Yeah, the recruitment rates on some of the Pokémon is ridiculous; like Mew, go in with the Music Box and cross over halfway and leave again when you don't find it... For me that was the real goal of the game after a while. I did manage to recruit almost all of the other legendary Pokémon though.
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. The base recruit rate of certain Pokémon, most notably Kecleon, is below zero. Which means these recruitment chance upping items are necessary. It's the main reason I'm having trouble with concentrating on the game at the moment. It really frustrates me when I go to a freaking tower that has 40 floors, with no result.

Hello, I'm Mewtwo Chainz

You can call me mew2, Chainz, but my friends call me Orryn (it isn't my real name tho that's a secret!) I've been in and out of competitive Pokemon, but I'm trying to stick through to it. Though Pokemon pearl isn't my first video game ever, it's the first game I ever played that really captivated me. I owe Pokemon a lot for all the experiences and friends it gave me back in the day :) As you can see, Mewtwo is my favorite Pokemon. He's just so much more different than the other Pokemon. He feels more like a person than a Pokemon if anything. If I'm not playing Pokemon, I'm playing Smash Bros. I main Mewtwo and greninja, along with a pocket (Dark) Pit, Lucario, and Charizard. And if I'm not playing either of those, I'm playing Monster Hunter! That game is super fun, but I probably burning out on it after 400+ hours.

So....now what? Where should I start? I don't want to go in a thread sounding like an idiot.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hello, I'm Mewtwo Chainz

You can call me mew2, Chainz, but my friends call me Orryn (it isn't my real name tho that's a secret!) I've been in and out of competitive Pokemon, but I'm trying to stick through to it. Though Pokemon pearl isn't my first video game ever, it's the first game I ever played that really captivated me. I owe Pokemon a lot for all the experiences and friends it gave me back in the day :) As you can see, Mewtwo is my favorite Pokemon. He's just so much more different than the other Pokemon. He feels more like a person than a Pokemon if anything. If I'm not playing Pokemon, I'm playing Smash Bros. I main Mewtwo and greninja, along with a pocket (Dark) Pit, Lucario, and Charizard. And if I'm not playing either of those, I'm playing Monster Hunter! That game is super fun, but I probably burning out on it after 400+ hours.

So....now what? Where should I start? I don't want to go in a thread sounding like an idiot.
What's up mew02Chainz, welcome to Smogon ! Mewtw has also been a favourite of mine as it was the first legendary I ever caught. If you're really into Smash Bros, you can discuss more about it in the Super Smash Bros thread, where you can pick up a ton of information on the game. You can start in any forum / thread that seems interesting to you. Lurking is an excellent way to get a good idea of what you can or can't post in a particular forum or thread. If you any questions, feel free to PM myself, QueBien, Chesty, Erai14, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer. Enjoy your stay and we hope to see you around the forum !

Hai everyone, Toni Chopper here (yes it is a One Piece reference)
I've been playing showdown since early XY but have only recently started to hang out in the Forums. I run either by the name of GentleSwalot or GrumpyGulpin depending on whether I'm testing teams or laddering.
Fav poke is Swalot for personal reasons competitive I'd say my fav is Mega-Beedrill.
I love the hyper offensive playstyle and mostly play lower tiers (NU / PU) I made my first RMT today and well I'll probably mostly do things there.
Ummm...Idk what else to say I'm a 17-year-old male from Hungary been playing Pokémon since I was 5 (though I only started playing competitive in XY) fav game is Emerald and yeah, have a good day everybody :)

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hai everyone, Toni Chopper here (yes it is a One Piece reference)
I've been playing showdown since early XY but have only recently started to hang out in the Forums. I run either by the name of GentleSwalot or GrumpyGulpin depending on whether I'm testing teams or laddering.
Fav poke is Swalot for personal reasons competitive I'd say my fav is Mega-Beedrill.
I love the hyper offensive playstyle and mostly play lower tiers (NU / PU) I made my first RMT today and well I'll probably mostly do things there.
Ummm...Idk what else to say I'm a 17-year-old male from Hungary been playing Pokémon since I was 5 (though I only started playing competitive in XY) fav game is Emerald and yeah, have a good day everybody :)
Hey there Toni Chopper!
How's it going? I also joined Showdown a little while after X and Y were released, but I've been playing casually since a few years before that. Showdown really helped me to become a better player and enjoy the franchise more. My favorite Pokemon is Bisharp, but the Pokemon I use most competitively is probably Mega Charizard Y. Since you like the NU and PU tiers, I recommend visiting the NeverUsed and PU chatrooms in Showdown, if you want to get involved with the community and learn more about the tiers. Check out the Competitive Discussion subforums too, if you're interested in that. My favorite tier is Monotype, because I enjoy the idea of specializing in a type. Emerald is also my favorite game, mostly due to the fact that it was the first game I played, but also because I like the Hoenn region and its Pokemon. Well, if you need anything during your time here, feel free to start a conversation with me, Chesty, Erai14, Fluke, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer. You can also use the Simple Questions threads if you want. Have a great day! :)

Hi everyone! My name is Cody, but I go by PROJECT Black.

I've been playing Pokemon since Silver/Gold, but I went back to play the originals as well! My favorites by far are HG/SS.
I'm 17, and graduating high school relatively soon.
I kind of just want to be around a community of Pokemon lovers, like yourselves! I love playing on the sim, so that's where I'll probably be most of the time. I really like NU and UU at the moment, in terms of tiers.

Nice to meet you all!

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hi everyone! My name is Cody, but I go by PROJECT Black.

I've been playing Pokemon since Silver/Gold, but I went back to play the originals as well! My favorites by far are HG/SS.
I'm 17, and graduating high school relatively soon.
I kind of just want to be around a community of Pokemon lovers, like yourselves! I love playing on the sim, so that's where I'll probably be most of the time. I really like NU and UU at the moment, in terms of tiers.

Nice to meet you all!
Hi PROJECT Black!
How are you? I've been playing since Generation 3, but unfortunately I haven't had time to play the originals yet. :( Emerald has been and most likely will continue to be my favorite, because it was the game that really got me hooked to the franchise. Since you like NU and UU, I would advise you (have you not already) to look over the NU Viability Rankings thread and the UU Viability Rankings thread, so you can gain a better understanding of the tiers. In addition, if you would like to meet other players who play NU and UU, visit the NeverUsed and UnderUsed rooms in Pokemon Showdown if you want to get involved with the community. Check out the Simple Questions Simple Answers threads if you need help, or PM me, Chesty, Dr Ciel, Erai14, Fluke, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer if you want. Have a great time here!

Hello, My username is KentaZX. I've head about this website after researching about Effort values and I've decided to try EV training on a new game on Pokemon Ruby. Though I wasn't sure where to ask my question so I figured I asked here since I just signed up here just now.

My question is that I was thinking of starting with mudkip and to EV train him into a standard EV trained Marshstomp (OU). Now I just started a new game So I want to know when I should start EV training him and which pokemon i can use to EV train the mudkip's HP defense and special attack. I know how EV works and how to use the pokerus, vitamins and macho brace, and the 510 EV limit as well. Im just asking for tips on how to do it very early in the beginning before I level it up a lot.

Hello, My username is KentaZX. I've head about this website after researching about Effort values and I've decided to try EV training on a new game on Pokemon Ruby. Though I wasn't sure where to ask my question so I figured I asked here since I just signed up here just now.

My question is that I was thinking of starting with mudkip and to EV train him into a standard EV trained Marshstomp (OU). Now I just started a new game So I want to know when I should start EV training him and which pokemon i can use to EV train the mudkip's HP defense and special attack. I know how EV works and how to use the pokerus, vitamins and macho brace, and the 510 EV limit as well. Im just asking for tips on how to do it very early in the beginning before I level it up a lot.
Hey KetaZX. Welcome to the site! I remember the first time I learned about EVs and IVs.. it was such an eye opener.

Regarding your question.. it's hard what you're trying to achieve here. You have to progress the story in order to get to certain locations, which means your Mudkip is going to get unwanted EVs regardless. You should check out this page and you should see for youtself. I will just name my favorite EV training spots for you. For HP, the waters on Route 117 (the one between Verdanturf and Mauville) are full of fat Marill which give out 2 HP effort points each. There are many other places where Marill can be found, but that place is conveniently close to a Pokémon Center. For Attack…, gaining Attack is easy if you battle the wild Nuzleaf and Zangoose on Route 114 for two effort points each. The underwater Clamperl gives one Defense effort point. Just stay away from the Chinchou and Relicanth. The grass on Route 118 is THE best place to earn effort points for Speed. All wild Pokémon there give you either one or two points (except for the Kecleon that show up on occasion, but they're extremely rare). The Spinda on Route 113 all give one effort point for Special Attack each. If you want to boost your Special Defense only, look toward the sea and all those Tentacool living in it.

Hope this helps a bit. EV training as early as possible isn't really doable, especially with your starter. If you have any other questions, just ask me, Chesty, Dr Ciel, Erai14, QueBien, InfernapeTropius11, or TheHoodedGamer. These people can most probably help you with anything regarding your in-game questions.

Last edited:
Training that early isnt doable eh? So im guessing ill just have to get those berries to reduce those unwanted evs right? In that case, got another one. Can i still ev train my pokemon properly even if i level up my pokemon around 80 to 100? Or would that just make thing difficult?

Last edited:
Training that early usnt doable eh? So im guessing ill just have to get those berries to reduce those unwanted evs right? In that case, got another one. Can i still ev train my pokemon properly even if i level up my pokemon around 80 to 100? Or would that just make thing difficult?
Level doesn't matter, just don't train them all the way up to level 100. Those EV reducing berries are indeed your best option here. Just make sure your Mudkip has the right Nature to start with.

Hello everyone! My name is Miyami! I play RU on showdown and joined the forums to learn more about RU and try to help it in the best way I can!

Hello everyone! My name is Miyami! I play RU on showdown and joined the forums to learn more about RU and try to help it in the best way I can!
Hello Miyami, welcome to Smogon. I also used to like RU a lot, but I don't really play it anymore.. It's a shame though, because I really like the Pokemon used in those tiers. I should really get back to it. What's your name on Pokémon Showdown!? Maybe we can do a battle or two, so you can kick my butt!

If you're willing to learn more about RU you should check this subforum. It's a place to discuss all generations of competitive Pokémon, with the emphasis on the RU tier. For now, another helpful place would be the Smogon Simple Questions thread. You can go there for all you forum related questions. If you need help with anything else, just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly answer your questions.

See you around :)

Yo! I've been on showdown for a while, with the same username on the vgc and Ou rooms.
(One thing, the mods in the vgc room started a cmon spam, which lead to the room owner locking the room down, which lead to chaos and shaymin and all the global mods joining the room.)
(You can "roomban" chaos, but it won't stop him from talking. He also promoted himself to admin.)

Yo! I've been on showdown for a while, with the same username on the vgc and Ou rooms.
(One thing, the mods in the vgc room started a cmon spam, which lead to the room owner locking the room down, which lead to chaos and shaymin and all the global mods joining the room.)
(You can "roomban" chaos, but it won't stop him from talking. He also promoted himself to admin.)
Hey RedBlueYellow12, welcome to Smogon. Is your name referring to the Pokémon game Red, Blue and Yellow? I freaking love 'em.

Anyhow, I don't really get your introduction. What's exactly the reason you joined Smogon? Let me know what you're looking for on these forums and I'll gladly show you some cool places :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)