Metagame Inheritance

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
On the subject of Ubers being banned, it 100% is justified. There are some Pokemon that make it in Ubers on the basis of their typing and BST, like Giratina, or Dialga. Then there are so many more that have incredibly broken moveset/Ability combinations and Inheritance has been far far far more balanced because of it than it was last generation.

Let's pretend for a minute that user X wants Blaziken because of the combination of Brave Bird and Stone Edge, and not Speed Boost. Because Toucannon exists, and it is a straight upgrade for that coverage over Blaziken, except for Speed Boost. Blaziken was broken with base 120 Attack, 110 SpA, and 80 Speed. What do you think Mega Metagross will do with HJK/Flare Blitz/filler/SD? What did we all SEE Water Spout Keldeo do before Ubers were rebanned? Did you ever face down Mega Pinsir carrying Dragon Dance, Extreme Speed, and V-Create? Ubers DO have broken movepools (alternately, Ho-oh on Mega Aero. It gets Brave Bird, EQ, AND Sacred Fire), and pretending that they don't is begging for a horribly broken metagame that we got away from.

An Ubers version of Inheritance might be something cool to play, but don't fuck up a good metagame that's getting a second chance.
That's the problem, Inheritance last generation focused in on banning individual donors rather than entire tiers. It makes sense that stuff like Kyogre, Xerneas, and others would be broken to inherit from, but we can't prohibit an entire tier because of it.
As I've said many times in the OM room chat, inheriting from ubers doesn't pass down their broken stats or good typing, so why prevent them from being allowed? We all know many of the donors we use today in inheritance would be Ubers if the setup were on better mons, so why prevent us from inheriting from the 80% of Ubers who don't even have broken sets?

Well, I've been a long-time lurker in this metagame, so why not dump some joy from last Gen's PU?! There are some powerful things down there after all, like Spinda, Sudowoodo, Corsola, Mothim, Masquerain and more! If only they were... other Pokémon...

(From Sudowoodo)
Sawsbuck @Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head (aww yeeeeaaaahh)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Double-Edge
- Head Smash (lol)
- Earthquake/Explosion/Stealth Rock/Counter etc. etc.

Not really much to say here, just great 120BP STAB moves with no negative side effects! Good coverage in a bonus recoil-free Head Smash and EQ, can even set up rocks, or nuke something with a STAB Explosion. Dank.

(From Probopass)
Stunfisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ground and Fire coverage is something that Magnezone would die for - now you can revenge kill Heatran and Scizor very reliably! Of course, Magnezone or anything else can inherit from this too. But STAB Ground with a resistance to Steel is quite nice indeed and allows it to muscle its way through Flash Fire Ferrothorn more reliably.

(From Alolan Persian)
Clamperl @ DeepSeaScale
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Foul Play
- Parting Shot

Hitting defensive stats of 274/414/458, this stupid little clam can actually be quite hard to take out - even if you knock if off, its physical bulk stays the same! Deepseascale is the preferred item for that reason and so balance out its defences, but Eviolite is always viable of course. Works as an excellent Parting Shot pivot. Feel free to put Toxic or Taunt over Foul Play.

(From Volcanion)
Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption
- Roar

Don't you wish Camerupt was less awful? Well now it is! Inspired by Daddy Groudon's neat water immunity, this thing does the same and can take on a lot of Water-types reasonably well! The only reason you'd run Water Absorb over Desolate Land is because it is less of a give away and for Steam Eruption. It loses rocks, unfortunately, but can phase and tank on the special side. Grassium Z Solar Beam/AV/Specs/Cameruptite(when it comes out) sets all very viable.

(From Honchkrow)
Rek'd (Farfetch'd) @ Stick
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Double-Edge

C R I T I C A L H I T !
Super Luck + Stick + high BP moves = 100% Crit Rate = GG. You don't even care about the Attack drops from Superpower! Only counters are anything faster, bulky or with some sort of priority move.

(From Lanturn)
Chippy 3.0 (Dedenne) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Makes a very nice counter to Water-types not named Quagsire, Gastrodon, Swampert or Seismitoad, but especially ones named Kingdra! STAB Dazzling Meme (finally!) and BoltBeam can hit pretty much everything (except Rotom-Heat). It has very usable speed too, tying with Thundurus-Therian.

(From Spinda)
Mega Spinda (Pangoro) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Contrary
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch/filler

Well, this thing got good! Max Atk and Speed, because this thing doesn't have great bulk anyway. You're pretty much unstoppable after one or two Superpowers; Sucker Punch is for anything faster (and that's going to be a lot of things) but Darkinium Z lets you use it to nail anything slower that might try to stop you - Cofagrigus or Dusknoir are good examples. It also gives you a nice nuke. Use wisely and don't leave in on Fairy-types.
(Yeah, it's not PU, I know)

Volbeat (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Can anyone explain why this set is considered illegal? There is nothing about it in the first post.

Volbeat (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Can anyone explain why this set is considered illegal? There is nothing about it in the first post.
As of right now, Inheritance does not allow baton pass on the server. scpinion / The Immortal is this intended, or is this a glitch (Possibly related to it being banned MnM, which is where I assume the indicator is from?).

Garchomp @ Metronome
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Extreme Speed

i like metronome + Thousand Arrows.. its a fun sweeper. the metronome boost ignores unaware which i suppose is its main niche. but its awesome.
after 5 turns metronome boosts garchomp's attack x2. substitute to avoid status. DD is great, i appreciate the speed boost much more than the power boost to be honest. which is why i wouldnt run coil. metronome is no joke. its harder and harder. its great when you face a defensive wall who continuously recovers, because once metronome gets you past 50% damage, your golden.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dear everyone that hates Sableye x Chansey

Tsareena (Toxicroak) @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Trop Kick
- U-turn

252+ Atk Choice Band Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 804-948 (125.2 - 147.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Band, Adamant)
252 Atk Choice Band Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 728-860 (113.3 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Band, Jolly)
252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 697-821 (108.5 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Life Orb, Adamant)
252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 634-749 (98.7 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (Life Orb, Jolly)
252+ Atk Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 536-632 (83.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Scarf, Adamant)
252 Atk Toxicroak High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 488-576 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Scarf, Jolly)

honestly about inheriting from ubers and megas no one complained about it last gen and it wasn't subject to the whims of ou bans as much while still being fun (the only complaint was the introduction of move+ability illegalities that were previously ignored, rip regen + defog)

but for some reason when the meta was submitted for gen 7 the core concept was changed for no reason, other than to make the threats less versatile and powerful

when we tried to revert it back, we were met with severe backlash by OU players that don't even care about OMs and TI threatened the meta being put down, so now here we are....

There was no complaining last gen because it was all anyone had know and we had Ubers hiding behind OU skins, so we thought it was fine.

But between playing on the start of Inheritance's ladder and now, this metagame is infinitely more balanced. Stall has an actual fighting chance now. Keldeo on the opposite team isn't a death sentence for Offense not carrying a Water immunity. We went from Pheromosa being one of six different threats that could instantly break a team that had even one flaw (still with Kecleon, mind you) to the thing overshadowing every other problem, all because we banned Ubers.

I don't know what the was intention behind banning Ubers, possibly for balance reasons. However, I say that I support it because if something is banned then it should be completely banned. It shouldn't be "Yveltal is banned... but you can inherit from it!" That's complex and unnecessary. In any case, if you want to discuss the policies of this OM then you should pm scpinion. If you, however, think that a specific Uber should be unbanned, so that it can both be used and be a donor, feel free to bring that up. Other than that, please use this thread to continue to discuss the metagame and not the policies of the concept.

Aegislash was legal last generation without issue (and worked as a wall and pivot on many teams), and I can't actually think of an enticing use for its movepool. I see no particular reason to leave it or its movepool banned.

Landorus-Incarnate isn't special in any respect other than having the strongest Earth Power available (its Speed tier is underwhelming here), and while its movepool does give things like Knock Off, U-Turn, Psychic, Calm Mind, and Rock Polish, it is also missing common coverage moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Shadow Ball that serve inheritors from Nidoking/Queen well. It was legal last generation without complaint. I think it could be unbanned as both a donor and an inheritor.

There's nothing else I would consider unbanning as both a donor and an inheritor.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I don't know what the was intention behind banning Ubers, possibly for balance reasons. However, I say that I support it because if something is banned then it should be completely banned. It shouldn't be "Yveltal is banned... but you can inherit from it!" That's complex and unnecessary. In any case, if you want to discuss the policies of this OM then you should pm scpinion. If you, however, think that a specific Uber should be unbanned, so that it can both be used and be a donor, feel free to bring that up. Other than that, please use this thread to continue to discuss the metagame and not the policies of the concept.
First, scpinion has been gone all week despite allegedly volunteering to lead the meta. I suggest we find a replacement at this point as he shows no signs of coming back before inheritance either dies down as omotm or disappears completely.

Second, Isn't it more complex the way it is? Currently, we have the meta as "You can inherit from anything except broken mons and ubers" whereas if we unban ubers, it would simplify into "You can inherit from anything except broken mons". Oms are meant to have their own distinguished tiers of viability rather than using the actual tiers, which is why several OMs have weaker Ubers unbanned and most OMs have the big two PU mons banned.

Here's a Pokémon that can counter Pheromosa:

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Play Rough
- Feint/U-turn

It can guaranteed OHKO Pheromosa, and most versions of Pheromosa can't 2HKO it without either a Choice Band/Specs or a critical hit, which means it can safely switch in and then get the KO.

Here are the calcs:
0 Atk Muk-Alola Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 286-338 (101 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Muk-Alola Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 285-336 (100.7 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Assuming Pheromosa has 31 IVs and 0 EVs in Atk and is not currently Fighting or Dark type. It's probably best to lead with Fake Out in case Pheromosa happens to have 0 IVs in Atk. And if for some reason Pheromosa uses Knock Off/Drain Punch the turn you use Foul Play, you can finish it off with Feint; worst case scenario, Pheromosa survives the Feint, kills you, and then dies from Life Orb recoil.

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Pheromosa Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 126-149 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- 48.1% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Pheromosa Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 164-195 (39.6 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 169-200 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Guts Pheromosa Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 162-192 (39.1 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Pheromosa Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 161-192 (38.8 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Pheromosa Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 169-200 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 165-195 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The only way Pheromosa wins is with Hustle+Earthquake (from Corsola), Stakeout+Earthquake (from Gumshoos), or Sheer Force+Earth Power (several possible donors), and even then only if Muk gets hit with Earthquake/Earth Power on the switchin; the first two are pretty terrible options, and while the latter does have some potential, it's probably not the best choice for Pheromosa, and I have never seen it used.

Edit: I forgot about Contrary Pheromosa.
0 Atk Muk-Alola Fake Out vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 43-51 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO
0 Atk Muk-Alola Play Rough vs. +2 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 144-170 (50.8 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 Atk Muk-Alola Foul Play vs. +2 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 171-202 (60.4 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Muk-Alola Aerial Ace vs. +2 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 192-228 (67.8 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Muk-Alola Hidden Power Flying vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pheromosa: 260-308 (91.8 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Muk-Alola Feint vs. +2 0 HP / 4 Def Pheromosa: 24-29 (8.4 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Total (Fake Out + Foul Play + Feint): 238-282 (84.1 - 99.6%)
Total (Fake Out + Aerial Ace + Feint): 259-308 (91.5 - 108.8%)
Total (Fake Out + Hidden Power Flying): 303-359 (107.1 – 126.9%)

252 Atk Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 97-115 (23.4 - 27.7%) -- 81.3% chance to 4HKO
+1 252 Atk Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 145-172 (35 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 193-228 (46.6 - 55%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 126-149 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- 48.1% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola: 188-224 (45.4 - 54.1%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO

Life Orb Contrary Pheromosa loses: it can’t 2HKO Muk, but after Life Orb recoil, Muk can guaranteed KO it with Fake Out+Foul Play+Feint.
Contrary Pheromosa without a Life Orb wins: it is powerful enough to 3HKO Muk, and Muk can’t quite KO it fast enough. But if you replace Play Rough with Aerial Ace, Muk has roughly a 50% chance (I think; I haven’t actually done the math) of winning, and if you change Muk’s nature from Careful to Sassy and replace Play Rough (or Feint) with Hidden Power Flying, Muk is guaranteed to win; either of those changes will still allow Muk to beat all the other Pheromosa variants, but will make it less useful against other opponents.

And, as an added bonus, this Muk can also counter Grassy Surge Kartana if necessary:
252+ Atk Kartana Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Muk-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 99-117 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 Atk Muk-Alola Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Kartana: 174-205 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
can Punishment be a good choice for this set? it can severely punish (really bad pun) Shell Smash users, like Heatran or Gengar, and if combined with stealth rock, can be scary. there's a problem: getting rid of one of the other moves is bad, it is better to get rid of fake out or feint?

First, scpinion has been gone all week despite allegedly volunteering to lead the meta. I suggest we find a replacement at this point as he shows no signs of coming back before inheritance either dies down as omotm or disappears completely.

Second, Isn't it more complex the way it is? Currently, we have the meta as "You can inherit from anything except broken mons and ubers" whereas if we unban ubers, it would simplify into "You can inherit from anything except broken mons". Oms are meant to have their own distinguished tiers of viability rather than using the actual tiers, which is why several OMs have weaker Ubers unbanned and most OMs have the big two PU mons banned.
That would involve making this an Ubers-based Metagame. By what I think is still definition, "broken mons" and "Ubers" are one and the same. Unless a BL0 is made for Pokemon that are banned from OU but fall below Ubers cut-off, that's a meaningless distinction and STILL relies on a prior OU banlist. The metagame you're describing would be true in spirit and practice if an Uber had to be entirely dropped to be used in Inheritance. For example, if we can inherit from Giratina, Giratina is fully legal in OU.

If we had to start dropping Ubers (and I'm still against it), that's the only way in your terms that would keep the spirit of "You can inherit form anything except broken mons."

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
That would involve making this an Ubers-based Metagame. By what I think is still definition, "broken mons" and "Ubers" are one and the same. Unless a BL0 is made for Pokemon that are banned from OU but fall below Ubers cut-off, that's a meaningless distinction and STILL relies on a prior OU banlist. The metagame you're describing would be true in spirit and practice if an Uber had to be entirely dropped to be used in Inheritance. For example, if we can inherit from Giratina, Giratina is fully legal in OU.

If we had to start dropping Ubers (and I'm still against it), that's the only way in your terms that would keep the spirit of "You can inherit form anything except broken mons."
I'm not talking about unbanning ubers to be used, I mean as donors. There are no rules against using Primordial-Sea in AAA or Sacred Fire in Sketchmons, so why should there be restrictions on things that only ubers get in Inheritance?

Dragonite (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Linoone (Registeel) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

EDIT: Had a response typed up but I'm dropping it here. I'm not opposed to Ubers dropping, but dropping just donations seems both disingenuous and unbalanced. Let's get rid of Pheromosa (a suspect ladder with Pheromosa gone but Kecleon still legal sounds good), see if Protean is also broken, and then address dropping Ubers and how if we do.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Dragonite (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Linoone (Registeel) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb

Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Dragonite -> Garchomp: I'd suggest Zygarde as a donor; although it doesn't have Multiscale, it does get Thousand Arrows, which gets STAB and hits Flying-types and Levitate users such as Heatran and Muk-Alola.

Linoone -> Registeel: Registeel, although it is bulky, is not a very good receiver because it doesn't get any STAB from Linoone's moves; I'd suggest Ursaring, Silvally, or Snorlax. Also you need Pickup to use BellySpeed, so replace Aguav Berry with a Sitrus Berry.

Dragonite -> Garchomp: I'd suggest Zygarde as a donor; although it doesn't have Multiscale, it does get Thousand Arrows, which gets STAB and hits Flying-types and Levitate users such as Heatran and Muk-Alola.

Linoone -> Registeel: Registeel, although it is bulky, is not a very good receiver because it doesn't get any STAB from Linoone's moves; I'd suggest Ursaring, Silvally, or Snorlax. Also you need Pickup to use BellySpeed, so replace Aguav Berry with a Sitrus Berry.
You don't need pickup, I just queued with a gluttony bellyspeed linoone in standard OU to test it

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have been wandering around this tiers possibilities and have stumbled upon a few sets and Pokémon I think work really well or can work really well.
Time for a set dump! Feel free to use any of these if you feel like it.

The name of the Pokémon in the importable is the Pokémon it is inheriting from.

Druddigon (Garchomp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

-------------------------------------------

Description:
I noticed that a lot of people started using random Magic Bouncers and Levitate users and a Mold Breaker Garchomp just punishes these by being able to scare them out or just set up Stealth Rocks while your opponent might be expecting a Rocky Helmet Rough Skin set. Druddigon functions as a donor very well for Garchomp as it gets a lot of moves that would help out Garchomp.

Moves:
Earthquake
- is the STAB move of choice which hits hard and punishes Levitate users.
Dragon Claw - is another STAB move which provides pretty good neutral coverage on a Pokémon that gains STAB from both. Dragon Tail could be an option as well to rack up hazard damage.
Stealth Rock - is a self explanatory move, it breaks potential Sturdy or Focus Sash users and causes residual damage to punish switching out. Mold Breaker allows Garchomp to set up Stealth Rock through Magic Bounce which have been running around occasionally.
Taunt - is the last move to prevent set up or hazards from going up on your side.

Notes:
Druddigon also has access to Draco Meteor, Flamethrower, Glare, Roar which might suit your team better.
This specific Garchomp functions very well on Hyper Offensive teams. As it can set up hazards and prevent them at the same time.

Drampa (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Ice Beam

Description:
This is probably one of my favorite sets that I came up with. This is a bit unexpected and works surprisingly well. The point of this set was to gain a Special Attack boost by switching in on Stealth Rocks which will bring Charizard down to 50% because of the 4 HP EVs that I put in. Charizard being 4× weak to Stealth Rocks will be brought down or lose 50% of its health.

Moves:
Fire Blast
- Fire Blast is the STAB move of choice which benefits from the Special Attack boost Berserk provides it with and also gets boosted by the sun that gets brought up once Charizard mega evolves into Mega Charizard Y which has Drought.
Roost - Roost is used for reliable recovery and getting above 50% to possibly gain yet another Berserk boost.
Solar Beam - Solar Beam allows Charizard to hit the bulky Water types that a running around in the tier. Due to the Drought Solar Beam is a one-turn move.
Ice Beam - Ice Beam provides great coverage for Charizard seeing as it can hit the bulky Dragon types that resist both Fire and Grass type moves such as Dragonite, Salamence, Goodra, Lati@s etc.

Notes:
Drampa is one of my favorite Gen 7 Pokémon and this meta only boosted my liking towards it. It has a unique typing, amazing movepool and a unique ability in Berserk which makes Drampa an amazing donor for Inheritance.

Clawitzer (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- U-turn

Description:
If we're talking about a good Pokémon with a useless ability and a mediocre movepool, Keldeo is probably what you are thinking of. Thanks to Inheritance you can expand its somewhat limited movepool and provide it with a useful ability on top of that. I decided to go with Clawitzer. Clawitzer is an OK Pokémon itself but it lacks the speed to be better than it is.

Moves:
Scald
- Due to the lack of Hydro Pump on Clawitzer, the decision was between Scald, Water Pulse or Surf. I decided to go with Scald because for the trade of 10 extra Base Power you have a 30% chance to burn and I think that's way more useful and even limits switch ins because of that.
Ice Beam - Ice Beam was an easy choice, because I have noticed quite a bit of Dragonites on the ladder. It also hits the occasional Grass / Poison types.
Aura Sphere - Aura Sphere is the reason I decided to look up how I could boost Keldeo. Backed by a Mega Launcher boost Aura Sphere reaches a whopping base 120 move that can not miss. Goodbye, Focus Blast!
U-Turn - Obviously the one move a lot of Pokémon wish they had and Keldeo is one of them. It allows Keldeo to do damage and also switching out. This is useful because Keldeo is still relatively weak without a Choice Specs and thus it can not wallbreak really well at all. Therefor you can U-turn out on your checks and counters.

Notes:
Other notable moves that might help are: Sludge Bomb, Flash Cannon and Dark Pulse. Depending on what bothers your team more, these could be substituted as well.

Clefable (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind

Description:
This is a Pokémon I made just to counter, what I think is, the biggest threat in the format being Kartana. The Choice Banded set has little to no switch ins on a regular team and Zapdos seems to wall it. I decided on making it inherit from Clefable as it would make it immune to Stealth Rock damage as well as having reliable recover, STAB, coverage and even a set up move.

Moves:
Thunderbolt
- Of course I had to have a STAB move and luckily Clefable is blessed with a wide variety of moves and Thunderbolt was one of them which Zapdos gets STAB on.
Soft-Boiled - For something that is supposed to wall certain Pokémon I wanted recovery and Soft-Boiled is reliable recovery.
Flamethrower - Flamethrower is the coverage I went for because it flat out OHKOs Kartana and actually hits the occasional Volt Absorb Celesteela's you see running around. Ice Beam can be substituted for this but my team preferred the Fire type coverage.
Calm Mind - Calm Mind allows this Zapdos to function as a sweeper as well. Zapdos also finds a lot of set up opportunities I have noticed because of it's typing it can wall a lot of common type combinations.

Notes:
Like I mentioned before, Zapdos also benefits from Ice Beam over Flamethrower because Ice / Electric is great neutral coverage but I personally preferred Fire coverage because of a lot of Kartana's that flat out swept my team.

Other notable moves consist of:
Aromatherapy, Counter, Fire Blast, Healing wish, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Seismic Toss and Wish.
These can all be run if you want a more defensive approach rather than a set up sweeper.

Crawdaunt (Golisopod) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- X-Scissor
- Switcheroo

Description:
I always thought Golisopod had a cool design and a nice typing. Sadly its ability is a big let down for it. Luckily we can work around that with Inheritance by making Golisopod inherit from Crawdaunt which has priority and powerful STAB moves to boost the viability of a Choiced set.

Moves:
Aqua Jet
- Priority on a slow Pokémon such as Golisopod is always appreciated. Aqua Jet is arguably the best Water type priority move in Pokémon so therefor this was a no brainer.
Crabhammer - I decided to go with Crabhammer over Waterfall just for the sheer power it has. If you dislike the chances of you missing, you can always replace Crabhammer with Waterfall for a more reliable STAB move.
X-Scissor - Luckily for us, Crawdaunt has access to X-Scissor which gives Golisopod a secondary STAB move that is boosted by Adaptability.
Switcheroo - Switcheroo was my last move of choice because crippling switch ins is always nice and allows Golisopod to switch up moves when necessary.

Notes:
Even though I think this is the optimal set for a Golisopod in Inheritance, there are moves that would expand its coverage. For example; Knock Off, Superpower and Rock Slide can allow Golisopod to hit more things than its STAB moves can. The most notable Pokémon that resist these moves are Keldeo, Gyarados, Tapu Fini and Toxapex. Not like the other moves would do more damage but I guess it could net some unexpected KOs.

Aurorus (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Description:
Aurorus was waiting to be inherited from because of the amazing ability in Refrigerate, set up moves, solid coverage and even the supporting movepool help it out a lot. Sadly Aurorus' typing and speed don't go really well together. Due to the typing Aurorus does not see many set up opportunities. However, Kyurem does. Kyurem has been around for a long time and a common set it ran was Substitue + Roost. Aurorus allows Kyurem to run this set, but with Calm Mind over Roost. Which I think makes Kyurem more threatening.

Moves:
Hyper Voice - Hyper Voice turns into a base 108 Ice type move before calculating STAB. This is a very reliable move that Kyurem can use which even bypasses Substitutes.
Earth Power - Ground and Ice are really good neutral coverage that Aurorus has access to. Only a hand full of Pokémon can safely switch into this type of coverage.
Calm Mind - Calm Mind is there to boost Kyurem's offensive presence as well as it making it's Substitute harder to break.
Substitute - Substitute allows Kyurem to dodge priority as well as status and makes it easier to set up.

Notes:
If you dislike Substitute, you could consider Freeze-Dry which also hits Water types for super effective damage.

Drampa (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Roost

Description:
Again, Drampa is the best Pokémon from Generation 7 in my opinion. It has so many good moves, recovery and coverage with a solid ability in Berserk. This Zapdos is something you'd use on a Rain team. It now has access to 2 STAB moves with insane power that do not miss in the rain. Backed by a Water type move that hits the Pokémon that its dual stab either resist or is immune to.
Moves:
Thunder - Thunder is a 110 base power Electric type move with a 30% chance to paralyze which is 100% accurate in the rain. Zapdos makes great use out of this because it's not necessarily weak and is relatively bulky as well.
Hurricane - Zapdos never had access to a Flying type STAB move which didn't rely on a critical hit to do damage. In rain Zapdos can use a 110 base power Flying type move which can not miss in the rain which Zapdos appreciates a lot.
Surf - Surf allows Zapdos to hit Pokémon such as Excadrill and Magnezone. And also hitting the Ground / Rock and Electric types that would resist both of the other moves.
Roost - Roost provides a bit of longevity and can bring Zapdos above 50% of its health and possibly reactivating the Berserk ability it got from Drampa.
Notes:
A set like this would also compliment Pokémon such as Thundurus and Thundurus-Therian. I decided to go with Zapdos because Zapdos is bulkier than both Pokémon which gives Roost more of a purpose to me. If you want, you could run a Thundurus form and substitute Roost for something like Ice Beam or Energy Ball to expand the coverage.

Tsareena (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

Description:
If you played OU while Mega Mawile came out, you will know how good Fairy / Steel is as a typing, both offensively and defensively. Magearna is a rather bulky Fairy / Steel type that kinda lacks recovery and has the stats to run a defensive spread. Therefor I wanted to test it out and it is pretty effective most of the time. By inheriting from Tsareena you gain an immunity to priority moves and even momentum and recovery.

Moves:
Rapid Spin
- Rapid Spin is there to remove hazards from your side of the field.
Synthesis - Synthesis gives Magearna reliable recovery which sadly is dependent on the weather. This is not a set you'd want to run on a Rain team.
Dazzling Gleam - Dazzling Gleam is put on the set to give Magearna a STAB move and not make it complete set up fodder.
U-turn - U-turn provides much needed momentum coming from a bulky and slow Pokémon and usually gets in a Pokémon of yours safely.

Notes:
It might not be the best set, but it definitely does work. Like I said before, this is not a set you'd want to run on a rain team. Synthesis will only recover 25% if you use it in the rain.

Cradily (Nidoqueen) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Stealth Rock

Description:
Nidoqueen is a really bulky Pokémon that sadly lacks recovery. It can function as a wall rather well once you inherit from Cradily. It now gets both the STAB moves it had previously and also Stealth Rock, but now it even has recovery on top of that which makes Nidoqueen a really reliable wall.
Moves:
Recover -
Nidoqueen never had reliable recovery but Cradily has and thus Nidoqueen does as well now.
Earth Power - A reliable STAB move in the form of Earth Power is never a bad idea. Sadly it loses out on the Sheer Force boost, but it should still do respectable damage.
Sludge Bomb - Sludge Bomb has the 30% chance to poison its opponent which can help Nidoqueen wear down a Pokémon.
Stealth Rock - Stealth Rock is used to get residual damage on opponents that have a habit of switching out a lot as well as breaking Focus Sashes or Sturdy abilities.
Notes:
I have messed around with Gastro Acid as well and it caught people off guard rather easily. Mainly the Toxic Orb Cresselia that things they can take on a Nidoqueen and then seen them fall to their own poison damage is just hilarious. I admit it's a bit of a gimmick, but hey, it works!

Mawile (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

Description:
You probably know Weavile by now. It's that one Pokémon that people slap on to stall teams to Pursuit kill things such as Latios and Latias. Well, now Weavile can do even more damage and function as a set up sweeper because inheriting from Mawile gives Weavile set up, dual STAB boosted by Sheer Force and priority. It is hard to set up, but it does a lot of damage once you do.

Moves:
Swords Dance
- Swords Dance gives Weavile that deadly +2 boost that allow it to break through walls rather easily.
Ice Punch - Ice Punch is Weavile's STAB move of choice on this set, since nothing has the combination of Sheer Force and Icicle Crash. Ice Punch is 100% accurate so I guess it works as well.
Crunch - Crunch is used over Knock Off since Crunch is stronger once it's boosted by Sheer Force.
Sucker Punch - Priority in the form of Sucker Punch is really nice for Weavile. Even though it was nerfed this generation, it will still allow Weavile to punch holes in walls and even revenge kill Pokémon such as Alakazam.

Notes:
Weavile is rather hard to set up because of how frail it is so you can consider running 4 moves on it. Notable moves that Weavile can inherit from Mawile are; Iron Head, Play Rough, Rock Slide and Thunder Punch. You might even find a place for Taunt or Super Fang.

I am enjoying this format a lot! The creativity people show with meta games such as this just blow my mind! I have a lot of other sets but I think those are more 'expected' or 'common' than these ones. Hopefully you guys like my ideas and give them a shot. I'd love to see the success you had with my sets. Keep inheriting!

Big thanks to AlexAKSD for playing and testing this format and those sets with me! :]

Last edited:
Just theorymonning here, but what about fell stinger scizor? With his mega, if he gets a KO andhas the +3 with fell stinger,he could easily ohko anything, but the one problem I see is no good donors of fell stinger. One posibility is qwilfish to donate aqua jet, but that leaves no room for coverage. If anyone has any ideas please share, this is something I think has actual potential.

Just theorymonning here, but what about fell stinger scizor? With his mega, if he gets a KO andhas the +3 with fell stinger,he could easily ohko anything, but the one problem I see is no good donors of fell stinger. One posibility is qwilfish to donate aqua jet, but that leaves no room for coverage. If anyone has any ideas please share, this is something I think has actual potential.
I'm a noob, and I threw this together in about 20 mins, but here you go:
Parasect (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Effect Spore
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Metal Claw
- Fell Stinger
- Brick Break/pursuit/swords dance/spore?/idk
- Synthesis/aromatherapy?/idk

Parasect is the donator of choice due to getting technician boosted steel stab in metal claw, I don't think any other fell stinger mons get that, but if you don't really want technician boosted, leavanny might work? or even ariados. (it gets smart strike for stab and shadow sneak for priority, if you're interested in that.) if you don't mind losing steel stab, buzzwole or vespiquen might work. some pokemon get gyro ball, but we all know that's not really worth using. 8 pp and unreliable power makes it eh for a poke that has 75 base speed. anyway, this is what I would and probably will use. sucks that nothing gets fell stinger and bullet punch, but you don't NEED bullet punch, right?

Adamant Nature
- Metal Claw
- Fell Stinger

Parasect is the donator of choice due to getting technician boosted steel stab in metal claw, I don't think any other fell stinger mons get that, but if you don't really want technician boosted, leavanny might work? or even ariados. (it gets smart strike for stab and shadow sneak for priority, if you're interested in that.) if you don't mind losing steel stab, buzzwole or vespiquen might work. some pokemon get gyro ball, but we all know that's not really worth using. 8 pp and unreliable power makes it eh for a poke that has 75 base speed. anyway, this is what I would and probably will use. sucks that nothing gets fell stinger and bullet punch, but you don't NEED bullet punch, right?
I actually really like this set, but minor nitpicks. First, for moveslot 4, I see you thinking about recover, and I think that leech seed would be best for that. Second, spore is definitely the way to go for slot 3. Bug/steel is usually good coverage. Also, I think dry skin might be a better ability, granting a water immunity and not caring about fire because you die anyway.

Adamant Nature
- Metal Claw
- Fell Stinger

I would go with Cacturne:

Cacturne (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Fell Stinger
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Sucker Punch/Drain Punch/Thunder Punch/Superpower

Setting up a +3 Atk boost is an invitation for your opponent to send in an Unaware wall, and the Parasect version loses to all the common Unaware mons (except possibly Cresselia, if you have Spore). Thanks to Technician, Bullet Seed and Pin Missile can 2HKO Unaware Suicune and Cresselia respectively. Unfortunately, Unaware Celesteela is still a problem (Thunder Punch can't 2HKO if it's physically defensive).

Never mind, apparently Cacturne can't have Fell Stinger and Bullet Seed at the same time, and neither can Parasect. So you'll have to get rid of your opponent's Unaware mons (and anything with Fire attacks) before attempting to sweep with Scizor.

I've had some success with Larvitar as a donor. It gets Guts, Dragon Dance, and a broad physical movepool. Some sets:

Larvitar (Landorus-T) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Lando-T has a massive Attack after the Guts boost and a Dragon Dance, and at +1 outspeeds everything bar Max Speed Ninjask and scarfed mons. Edgequake is good coverage and Pursuit is there to punish switches.

Larvitar (Stoutland) @ Flame Orb
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Stoutland's STAB Facade hits incredibly hard, and the Guts boost allows heavy damage even on Unaware sets.

Larvitar (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Facade
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

If you opponent doesn't have any ghost types remaining, RestTalk recovery and Curse-boosted Facades will put a dent in their team.

I'd like to bring some attention to Victini as a donor, and Charizard X as its inheritor. Shoutouts to Why Nerdy for including CharX in the CLC to make me aware of it.

The set so far:
Victini (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break

Someone mentioned Marowak as a superior user of the set, but I've used it before and found it a little lacking. Charizard's better bulk and good typing post-Mega really give it a niche, especially since you're not instagibbed by Knock Off. I haven't run into any Swamperts or other extremely bulky Water-types yet since using this set, but you could also leverage Charizard's base 130 special attack given Victini's enormous movepool. Positive-natured Marowak is only about 10% stronger than Charizard with the same investment and nature, so I think (if nothing else) the ability to go mixed gives it ground on which to stand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)