In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to stay on topic: I'm defo starting with Osha, then Scrafty, Reuniclus, maybe Simisage if I can get him. I love his hair. Braviary, Chandelure. You may tell I'm planning on whiting it. And I agree with many of the previous posts, in-game it's all about getting the job done with your favourites.
Did you even read his post?

I'm sure he's aware of that, but is using those pokemon regardless.

On topic, why are Tornadus and Thundurus not listed? They come before the E4 around the same level your team is at, and since they are the only roaming legend, there is no problem using the Master Ball on them. Thundurus is generally better, but Tornadus does get actual Flying STAB for the Fighting-type E4 member.

(1000th post :D)

Braviary comes late in the game. There's no point in Simisage(unless you want the hair), Levanny pretty much outclasses him, and there's also stuff like Liligant which you DO get in the same forest >_>

It's such an annoyance that Braviary (and, respectively, Mandibuzz) come so late in game. Braviary fills a great role in being both an effective scouter (with both whirlwind and tailwind), and a strong attacker (with superpower and brave bird), while at the same time able to handle the Fly HM (though I appreciate not all those moves together). It's a role that easier to catch choices, such as Unfezant, just aren't as good at, and as such you really have to wait in this game to catch one of the more deserving flying types. There's some direct in-game tier discussion for ya.

As for Simisage, I do. Dear lord I do love the hair.

It's such an annoyance that Braviary (and, respectively, Mandibuzz) come so late in game. Braviary fills a great role in being both an effective scouter (with both whirlwind and tailwind), and a strong attacker (with superpower and brave bird), while at the same time able to handle the Fly HM (though I appreciate not all those moves together). It's a role that easier to catch choices, such as Unfezant, just aren't as good at, and as such you really have to wait in this game to catch one of the more deserving flying types. There's some direct in-game tier discussion for ya.

As for Simisage, I do. Dear lord I do love the hair.
Clueless Morgan speaks the truth. Braviary is a irritatingly late arrival, but well-worth the grind for the the E4 and beyond if you're willing to go through it. I wasn't disappointed when I used him in my first playthrough, and as my favorite mon he will be present for all subsequent playthroughs as well.

And Simisage's hair is pretty awesome.

Well this was the team I did for my Japanese White:

It was probably my ideal team, the only major change I would make if I were to play through for the first time again is that Jellicent really didn't pull his weight, so I think Carracosta would've been the better choice there. I had started with Oshawott, but I had found his final form so unappealing I dropped him off as soon as I caught my Drilbur.

And this is going to my my next team, American Black:

In the event that Serperior doesn't pull his weight, I'm prepared to drop him for Leavanny or Virizion. I'm usually such a bulky offense player we'll have to see how his fast defense spread sits with me. Other than that, a lot of representation from the desert here which has a great selection of pokemon (you could pretty easily build a whole team there adding some combination of Scrafty, Cofagrigus, or Crustle). I like that I'll have my team pretty set by such an early point in the game. And the final addition will be Axew. I'm actually thinking about breeding some eggs prior to grabbing the game and sending them over so I have him the entire game.

And this is going to be my American White team:

Again, I'm going to send over a dragon egg to start the game with, along with a Litwick egg to immediately replace Tepig with. I just honestly have zero interest in playing with the third fire/fighting starter in a row - I was honestly shocked that Gamefreak thought that was an appropriate idea. Additionally, I think the Litwick line will be far more bearable if you have access to him early. Ferroseed will be the last team catch for this run, which isn't too bad at all.

Holy crap there's indeed a typo in my sig. Also @Kitsunine, I'm really surprised you'd say that about Serperior. Bias completely aside, the snake has never let me down after a single Growth. The only place I've had issues before was the Dragon Gym. Even ice-types were usually downed by boosted Leaf Blades.

So far, haven't decided which version do get.

I do have this much so far though:

(Temporarily)

Any recommendations for alternative mons? Take postgame into account.

Well this was the team I did for my Japanese White:

It was probably my ideal team, the only major change I would make if I were to play through for the first time again is that Jellicent really didn't pull his weight, so I think Carracosta would've been the better choice there. I had started with Oshawott, but I had found his final form so unappealing I dropped him off as soon as I caught my Drilbur.
Can you explain what it was like obtaining and using Victini a little more? I know you've answered this already a few pages ago, but I'm really stuck between him and Simisage and a little more information about what the Victini event is like will really help me. Awesome team btw.

And has anyone else used Zorua in-game?

Can you explain what it was like obtaining and using Victini a little more? I know you've answered this already a few pages ago, but I'm really stuck between him and Simisage and a little more information about what the Victini event is like will really help me. Awesome team btw.
Obtaining him wasn't overly easy, and I found that surprising. That's probably do to the fact that I wasn't used to having a difficult catch that early in the game. He is a legendary Pokemon. I do think he's definitely worth it though. You can get to him as soon as you get to Castelia City (the big one), before the third gym. You hop on a boat, go to an island, and knock out a few Plasma grunts to get to him. His stats at that point are far beyond the rest of your team probably, and the third gym is bug - so fire weak.

By the Elite 4 you'll have Quick Attack, Flame Charge, Flame Burst, and Zen Headbutt learnable by level, and all the extra powerful/inaccurate attacks by TM (Focus Blast, Thunder, Fireblast). For most of my run, up until I taught it Thunder, I had it have Charge Beam as well, and because of its great bulk it could stat up and sweep really well. The best part was that it was doing that against water pokemon.

If you're chosing between Victini and any of the elemental monkeys, I'd really push for Victini. Victini has a better movepool, essentally equivalent attack, special attack, and speed, while SIGNIFICANT more bulk, and a resistance to fighting attacks which are relatively common in-game.

Here's Marriland's ingame review of Victini if you want their opinion as well:
Marriland said:
If you're savvy enough to have gotten the Liberty Pass and caught Victini right away rather than waiting until later, you'll find no better Pokemon to use on your team for most all of the game. There's a reason that Victini is considered a legendary Pokemon, and its fantastic stats and great arsenal of moves is the result of that status.

It starts off at level 15 with Confusion, Incinerate, Quick Attack, and Endure (sadly you need to wait until later to reteach Searing Shot, which is an amazing attack). Confusion is Victini's main attack, since Incinerate is notoriously weak. At level 17, it learns Headbutt, which is nice and strong at this point in the game. It learns Flame Charge at level 25, which raises Victini's Speed afterwards and should replace Incinerate. At level 33, it learns Reversal, but that's hard to pull off with Endure and vulnerable to random Quick Attacks. It picks up a fairly strong Flame Burst at level 41, Zen Headbutt at level 49, and then the Zap Cannon of Burn at level 57: Inferno. It learns moves all the way up to level 97, where it learns Overheat (hardly worth the hassle). Flare Blitz is alright at level 73, but that's still such a long way away you can't even look at it.

One problem you may notice in looking at those moves are that it only learns its better moves way later in the game. That's why you need to be savvy with investing some TM moves into Victini's movepool! Some of the helpful TMs you have access to right now are Retaliate, Grass Knot, Thief, and Rock Smash. Switch them around to your liking, but definitely keep its default Confusion. Later on in the game, some good offense moves are Fire Blast (definitely, although lack of PP hurts), Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Charge Beam, and Focus Blast, while some good defensive or support moves to consider are Sunny Day (works great if you throw in SolarBeam!), Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Substitute.

Victini has access to its better moves like Psychic, Flamethrower, and Psyshock after you've beaten the game.

Victini's stats and diverse movepool make it an incredible Pokemon throughout the game. Though it does level up rather slowly, it can fall behind in levels and still be more effective than probably any of your Pokemon, particularly early on in the game. It's arguably too good to use in-game, and some people have a stigma about using legendary Pokemon while playing through the game, so consider that before considering whether or not you want to let Victini pave your way to victory.

Holy shit that's the first and only pixie that needs that much exp. Jirachi, Mew, Celebi..they all need the same amount as the starters. edit: apparently manaphy's on that boat too
Don't let that scare you though. Just by catching and training the different species in the game (I already have a complete pokedex), my Victini's already in the mid-80s if I remember correctly. That free Lucky Egg is obscene, really. Experience really isn't an issue in these games at all.

You guys telling that to someone that has run through the game 11+ times and has leveled up at least 10 pokes to 100.
Dem Audinos in the Great Hall are love. <3

I know that I already saw Archen's and Tirtouga's in-game tierings, but how do they compare to each other in-game in terms of performance?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Be nike and just do it. Nuzlocke difficulty almost ensured.
Changed my mind. I'll evolve Gothorita in my JP Black, but I'm going to do a NFE-only run in my US Black; I'll have a main team already set but, until I get them, I'll catch every "secondary" pokémon I find and train/use them until I find another one and have to swap them out. I just have to decide my starter... I guess I'll go with Oshawott, evolve it and them send it to the box once I get my first primary pokémon (Gothita/Gothorita).

Ghetsis's Hydreigon will fuck me sideways but that's fine.

Changed my mind. I'll evolve Gothorita in my JP Black, but I'm going to do a NFE-only run in my US Black; I'll have a main team already set but, until I get them, I'll catch every "secondary" pokémon I find and train/use them until I find another one and have to swap them out. I just have to decide my starter... I guess I'll go with Oshawott, evolve it and them send it to the box once I get my first primary pokémon (Gothita/Gothorita).

Ghetsis's Hydreigon will fuck me sideways but that's fine.
If you manage to land a sleeping move or spam x-(status) items against cophagrigus, you can actually win. I spammed coil + x speed on my Snivy and actually outran and OHKO'd with critical return. Next thing I know, the fucking Red Ranger survives and crits me back with Night Slash.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If you manage to land a sleeping move or spam x-(status) items against cophagrigus, you can actually win. I spammed coil + x speed on my Snivy and actually outran and OHKO'd with critical return. Next thing I know, the fucking Red Ranger survives and crits me back with Night Slash.
I'm planning on using Toxic with one of my Frillish (yeah I might use both of them, you jelly) and hope Cursed Body activates on Dragon Pulse, then sit there all day with Recover+Blizzard+Protect. Toxic will be stronger than Blizzard but that's fine too.

I also need an anti-Ghost/Dark pokémon too; one Psychic and possibly two Ghosts is just too much and I don't think Larvesta and Joltik can really stop any Ghosts in-game nor take Scrafty and Sandile's STABs. Guess I'll try Ferroseed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)