SS OU I'm new to showdown and this is my team after refining for 50 or so games.

Harold (Hippowdon) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Superpower
I chose Hippowdon because he is a good physical wall and a decent lead. He gives me a rock resistance which is a type my team struggles with. I have stealth rock in case I decide to lead with him. I have whirlwind so I can switch out of bad matchups and get more stealth rock damage. I took slack off so I can heal up while stalling. I have superpower so I can do some decent damage with Hippowdon's good attack stat, and people usually don't expect it out of a Hippowdon. I brought Rocky Helmet because he is a physical so I can get a lot of use out of it.

Condom (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Foul Play
I chose Rotom-Heat because he is a good pivot pokemon, he hits hard, and he has good typing. He is usually my lead if I think hippowdon might get countered. I start with trick to force a choice scarf on the opponent. I usually try to overheat volt switch out after that if I can, or I just instantly volt switch to rotate out. I have foul play for the dark typing that many people don't expect.

lamp (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
I chose Chandelure because it a good sweeper and it is my favorite pokemon. It is very unpredictable because there are many weird things you can do with it. It has a very high special attack stat, and I use it mainly for that. It has excellent typing with a fire immunity with Flash Fire. I take Dark Pulse because it is a decent special dark type attack. I chose fire blast because it is a super powerful fire attack. I chose energy ball because I can suprise people's water types by going first with Choice Scarf and one shotting them. It is shiny because it looks WAY better .

THY BILLY SHERLOW (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Facade
I chose cokeldurr because I like its unique playstyle and it is my special wall breaker. I use drain punch as my sustain and main fighting attack. I use Mach punch because conkeldurr often lacks the ability to one shot opposing pokemon and mach punches priority helps me secure kills. I bring knock off to get rid of items and for a different typing move. I bring facade because of the flame orb guts combo which makes it hit like a truck. I split the speed and HP evs so that he can outspeed some other bruisers while still being big enough to take a hit.

Winston (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
Serious Nature
- Spit Up
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker
Toxapex is my tanky staller. He is a safe switch in and he has absolutely overpowered stats that help him stall. I stockpile thrice and get the 300 power spit up while im stalling. Baneful bunker is for getting the poison and for stalling for more black sludge. Recover is for healing a stupid amount of HP. He has really good defensive typing which i use as a safe switch in if I can predict what move is coming. I usually use him as a block between switching pokemon, or as just a balanced wall. I maxed specail defense because hippowdon is my physical wall.

Borküs III (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Superpower
Azumarill is the most recent member of my team. I wanted some more offensive threat and I thought azumarill would do the trick. The HP evs give me the abillity to take a hit so I can get 2 attacks in, and the choice band gives me a ridiculous 606 attack. I usually pick superpower because of how high the power is and the fighting type. I bring play rough for the anti dragon, and because fairy is really good in general. I bring knock off for a dark move and to remove items. I bring aqua jet to finish some pokemon with priority.
What i want to know
I am only a few days into pokemon showdown, and all of my pokemon experience comes from black 2 and from pixelmon. Im sure my team has many weakpoints im unsure about and I would like to know those. I would also like to know if all of my pokemon are viable and if there are any switches I should make. The final thing I want to know is what "type" of team is this. Is it a balanced? a stall? an attacking team? Im not sure and would like as much feedback as possible.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
First off, welcome to smogon! It's a great place to learn, improve at battling, and just have a good time. So looking into the team, it's got some holes and sets that need fixing, but it's not a bad start, there are some strong mons in the current meta on here. I'm aiming to keep as much of the team structure the same while fixing it, but anyone with a bit more ou meta knowledge might have some other opinions since this isn't my main tier, although I do play a lot and try to keep up with the meta.

Hippowdon as a start is good, it's a really solid physical tank, one of the best right now for beating things like non grass knot zeraora, excadrill, urshifu-s, and whirlwinding physical attackers like hawlucha, dd dragapult, etc. I would say to put earthquake over superpower, as with same type attack bonus it's stronger, and you will likely be whirlwinding flying mons that set up like hawlucha anyway. The mixed defensive spread with ev's in sp.def but a nature in physical defense is a little akward, hippowdon can go either way, just should focus on one, and if you want this to be the physical wall and pex to be the special one, make it full phys.def.

Without a defogger as well as having another stealth rock weak mon in chandelure right now, I'd suggest making rotom heat a support variant with hazard removal.
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpD / 168 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic
- Pain Split
This is the standard on smogon right now as it helps with certain special attackers like volcarona, as well as being a very risky pivot on specs kyurem as draco does a lot but ice moves and earth power are not doing much if anything. Toxapex loses 1v1 to volcarona sets with psychic, so this isn't overlapping in terms of bulk since they cover different things from the looks of it.

Chandelure I feel like can be changed, but I get where you're coming from. You have 2 strong breakers later on in conkeldurr and azumarill which are physical, so a special one balances it out. I think if you change the toxapex set to toxic spikes which I will recommend later, a change to hex dragapult will provide a ton of pressure combined with toxic rotom.
Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hex
- U-turn
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
This is the standard hex dragapult, it excels in cleaning when teams are low with their pivots and status has been spread through toxic on the team. Dragon darts helps break a lower health blissey and overall pressure special walls, while uturn provides pivoting, will o wisp spreads more status and can help mix up urshifu trying to sucker punch you, and hex has that cleaning power I mentioned. It's still a strong ghost breaker which is similar to chandelure in that aspect.

Conkeldurr is a really solid pokemon, it is able to 2hko a lot of things coming in on it due to it's insane strength when boosted by flame orb. The moveset is standard and very solid, just the ev's are not correct. Typically conkeldurr runs max speed adamant nature with max attack to outrun slower bulky mons and deal with them. Your spread outruns clefable, but misses out on existing things such as min speed base 65's like scizor and pelipper. Max speed max attack adamant should be a good spread here. Refer to this thread to see speed tiers and what relevant benchmarks you can hit if you want to get more complex spreads.

Toxapex is one of the most solid pokemon in the tier right now, arguably up there for the best due to it's insane walling capabilities, but the set you gave actually limits it. Stockpile is a fairly bad move on a mon with already such insane defenses, and spit up isn't going to do much even with the power due to it's low attacking stats. Serious nature has no benefit, and you want a beneficial one always really. Regenerator is always the ability to use since you regain health for switching out which is extremely valuable for a defensive pivot. If you want a defensive wall, use this set.
Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
I took the existing physically defensive set and just edited it into a specially defensive one since you said that was what you wanted out of toxapex in comparison to hippowdon the physical wall.

Lastly, azumarill. Strong pokemon, however choice banded is not recommended right now. Knock off does okay damage to things like toxapex the first time, but it can easily pivot with regenerator and wall you indefinitely. Other mons such as ferrothorn, corviknight, amoongus, and tangrowth also easily take this set on. If you want to keep azumarill, belly drum is likely the way to go, it adds pressure to opposing toxapex and tangrowth which can break for a conkeldurr late game.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

With this last change, the team is more suited for play in basically every case imo. I really wanted to keep the team close to the same as what you wanted rated, since it was a fine base for someone just coming into the tier, so I kept most of the components the same and standardized it more for what's used right now. Here is an updated pokepaste of the changes that I recommend. https://pokepast.es/0844354dd7d09100

EDIT: So earlier on I mentioned that toxapex was supposed to have toxic spikes support, but I forgot to check that the standard defensive set had it. It's a simple fix, just putting tspikes over knock off and removing the attack iv's for a bit weaker foul plays. I edited the paste to have toxic spikes, but if you prefer knock off either work fine.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! It will help me a lot. RIP the main man chandelure.
Chandelure is such a cool Pokemon, but I think it's just not in a good spot right now. It can occasionally put in work, especially when you can bring it in safely. But it won't work as consistently and as well as the main man pult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)