ORAS LC I'm Good (LC Baton Pass)

gali

I just wanna grill, man!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

If you’ve been playing LC for a while, chances are you’ve battled this team, or at least heard it talked about. Full Baton Pass first popped up relatively early with teams made by people such as ZoroarkForever and Splashyship. While they won easily, they never gained much traction. This team came up much later and is actually a highly edited and optimized version of a team created by Infamy (rip). Its proliferation (mostly due to it being spammed by me and others) even led to Baton Pass being suspected but ultimately left alone. It has proven capable of holding its own and winning against many of LC’s top players, so I decided with encouragement from others in the LC community to formally bring it out into the open.

At A Glance

Torchic @ Berry Juice
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Torchic is the lead for the team about 99% of the time. Its sole purpose is to pass Speed boosts to the rest of the team, and its moveset is tailored to that end. Will-O-Wisp is incredibly useful for neutering physical attackers (Torchic lives almost any physical attack if the attacker is burned) and breaking sashes/Sturdy. Substitute and Protect allow it to stall for more boosts and potentially get the next mon in the chain in unscathed. The EVs give it decent 21/14/12 bulk and 14 Speed, the benchmark number to outspeed the unboosted meta at +1.

Mime Jr. @ Berry Juice
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Encore
- Baton Pass

Mime Jr. is the team’s primary booster, capable of quickly boosting the chain’s Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. It excels at this job due to its naturally high special bulk and x4 Fighting resistance. The most important asset it has, however, is Encore. Encore gives it free turns galore to set up more boosts in addition to blocking setup sweepers who want to setup alongside the chain. Its EV spread lets it live a +4 burned Fletchling Acrobatics (Yes that sounds weirdly specific but it’s a common scenario).

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

Mienfoo is a secondary Calm Mind booster and provides a lot of utility to the team. Knock Off is extremely useful for crippling Magnemite and other Sturdy mons and makes Mienfoo the team’s only answer to Gastly early-game. Taunt is also very useful for blocking status moves and other Taunts. The EVs give it 22/14/14 bulk and 14 speed.

Munna @ Eviolite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 236 Def / 60 SpA / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Barrier / Lucky Chant
- Stored Power
- Baton Pass

Munna is the team’s primary sweeper. Once enough boosts are accumulated, Stored Power can OHKO the vast majority of the tier easily. Moonlight gives recovery and lets Munna deal more easily with stuff like Leech Seed and Toxic. Lucky Chant is an insurance policy, blocking untimely crits (which I have lost to on many occasions), while Barrier provides useful redundancy. The EVs give it 24/14/14 bulk and even numbers in Special Attack and Speed.

Togepi @ Berry Juice
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 160 Def / 120 SpA / 80 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
- Baton Pass

Togepi is the team’s second sweeper as well as its method of dealing with Dark-types. Hidden Power Fighting OHKOes Pawniard at +2, while all other Dark-types are dealt with by Dazzling Gleam. Stored Power, while noticeably weaker than Munna’s, can still run through teams with enough boosts. The EVs give it 20/15/15 bulk and even numbers in Special Attack and Speed.

Gothita @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Gothita, while it rarely comes into play, serves a very important function: trapping and KOing Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team. I chose Choice Specs over the standard Choice Scarf since it’s easy to quickpass +1 Speed to Goth with Torchic, and Specs nets certain KOes that Scarf doesn’t. Psychic OHKOes Mienfoo, the most common Taunt user, as well as various Poison-types that threaten the team. Energy Ball smacks Drilbur and bulky Waters. HP Poison OHKOes Cottonee, one of the biggest threats to Baton pass. Trick is useful as a sort of pseudo-Encore to give you a free turn, while Thunderbolt does a lot to Vullaby and Fletchling.

Conclusion

This team is fun to play with and infuriating to play against. I still think it’s broken and should have been banned but w/e I can still get free wins.

BP nerds tazz and mad0ka
The Lego fan club
LC council for not banning this shit
OP for his constant support

Torchic @ Berry Juice
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Mime Jr. @ Berry Juice
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Encore
- Baton Pass

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

Munna @ Eviolite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 236 Def / 60 SpA / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Lucky Chant
- Stored Power
- Baton Pass

Togepi @ Berry Juice
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 160 Def / 120 SpA / 80 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
- Baton Pass

Gothita @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Trick

Last edited:
quick nitpick: I would slash barrier over lucky chant on munna. While blocking crits can be rewarding, getting munna in every 5 turns is really too burdensome and you usually end the match asap anyway. Having only one defense boost that also boosts special defense in such a physically oriented meta is really unreliable.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hello, I can't help but notice that your team has a crippling weakness to Belly Drum Flare Blitz Magby. It counterleads anything on your team, including Gothita most of the time, and cannot be stopped by will-o-wisp. If Cottonee support is added Magby destroys your entire team.

236 Atk Magby Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gothita: 19-24 (90.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

I hope this was helpful! :):):):):)

gali

I just wanna grill, man!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
You lose to CritHorsea; 0/10 team.
pass to mime t1->encore->win

quick nitpick: I would slash barrier over lucky chant on munna. While blocking crits can be rewarding, getting munna in every 5 turns is really too burdensome and you usually end the match asap anyway. Having only one defense boost that also boosts special defense in such a physically oriented meta is really unreliable.
Changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)