SM OU i tried to make a Moxy Salamence team (1st time pls don't call me names)

so this is the first time i've tried making an OU team, here's the team
and here's my thought process in making it :

Salamence is the main sweeper. i gave it Dragonium z instead of Flynium z because fly is a bad move and dragon doesn't have very many types that resist it. dragon claw is there for stab + zmove, dragon dance is there so i can try and outspeed, earthquake is there to hit steal types (especially heatran) and Iron tail is there to kill fairy types (if i really need to), the EVs are smogon standard but their for mega salamence instead of their normal salamence because their normal salamence seemed to not be fully thought through.

Heatran is my stealth rock setter, on top of generally being one of the best pokemon in the tier it also has a 4x resistance to ice (salamence's biggest weakness), fairy (another one of salamences's weaknesses and one of mega lopbunnys weaknesses) and grass (gastrodon's only weakness) on top of that it has regular resistance to dragon(another one of salamence's weaknesses), flying and psychic (two of mega lopunny's weaknesses). the moves and EV's are smogon standard because they seemed well researched.

Xatu is kind of an odd pick considering it's an NU pokemon but on top of being like, my favorite pokemon at this point, its and its pre-evolution are the only 2 pokemon in the game with access to both u turn and magic bounce and on top of that it also boasts a 4x resistance to fighting which is a weakness for both lopunny and heatran as well as a regular resistance to psychic and grass one of which is a loppuny weakness and the other is gastrodon's only weakness AND it also has the normal flying immunity to ground which is a 4x weakness of Heatran and a normal weakness for magearna (yes salamence has this too but we wan't to keep him safe until he can sweep). in addition you can swap out roost and toxic for wish and protect and be one of the very few pokemon in the game with access to wish, protect and u turn (although it doesn't have the best stats so this could be a bad idea). with both builds Xatu functions as a defensive support/pivot

Gastrodon is my bulky water type who has 2 immunities 1 to water (one of heatran's weaknesses) and one to electric (one of Xatu's weaknesses) in addition to this it has a resistance to rock (one of salamence's weaknesses) and a resistance to fire (one of magearna's weaknesses) i didn't use the smogon set for this pokemon because it recommended special defense with earthquake, i already had 2 specially defensive pokemon in magearna and heatran i made it physically defensive and since it had more sp attack than physical attack AND storm drain raises that special attack even further i used earth power instead of earthquake

Mega lopbunny is a revenge killer type thing as well as a secondary sweeper if needed. i picked lopbunny as my mega pokemon because it had an immunity to ghost and a resistance to dark (two of Xatu's weakness's) as well as the fact as well as it generally having its weaknesses covered pretty well by my team (note: this member is probably the most iffy one on the team).

Magearna is a specially defensive revenge killer type deal it has an immunity to dragon (salamence's final weakness) and resistances to dark, rock, ice, flying, psychic and grass (which are good for reasons already specified) and it can make a good volt switch core with xatu as xatu is immune to one of its weaknesses and Magearna is immune to 3 of xatu's in addition to this it has stab iron head to help kill other fairies. i wanted to give this pokemon more special attack but that looked like it would upset some very precise calculations so i didn't.

TLDR: salamence sweeper team with some unorthodox/sets picks. lopunny is the most iffy pick on the team and im not sure about magearna's stats. missing a special attacker but most of my defensive pokemon do special damage.

Hey Antisquidburp, I do believe flyinium Salamence is Salamence best offensive set in ou and I think that a lot of other people would agree. Dragon type attack aren’t too great in the meta because of the amount of fairy types that are in the tier such as Fini, Clefable and Bulu. This is why some dragon dance Charizard X don’t carry dragon claw and why Zygarde doesn’t run outrage as much. The purpose of flyinium z is that it nukes fairy types while also doing great damage to walls like Latias and Ferrothorn which is something that steelium z can’t do because of how it’s not stab and that steel isn’t as great of an offensive typing as flying is.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)