[I require assistance!] Nightmare: Spriters/Artists Needed

Hello there, Smogon. You've gained weight.

Since I got bored with waiting for Black and White to come out in the US (you know, the usual seven-month period to translate basic Japanese dialogue), I started writing a script for what I thought would be an epic Pokémon game. Then, after writing pretty much the entire game, I realized that I had just done the hard part, and started writing a game engine in Java, too. And, well.

(This is an animated PNG of the title screen. If you don't see movement, try upgrading to a browser that supports useful new tech.)

However, after interface design and a lot of work on the engine, I remembered that I hadn't done the hard part after all -- with my hands made of spoiled jello and my factory-default cheapo laser mouse, I can't sprite or draw. Or, more accurately, I can, but it would only be recognized as art by the kind of critics that liked Picasso, eg. those that appreciate drawings of faces even when they were supposed to be drawings of houses.

That's where I can only hope that the many talented spriters and artists of the community may come in. Just as non-programmers think computers are magical, I will never be convinced that artistry is anything short of witchcraft, but I'm no less accepting of mages if they feel like helping me out here and there.

The main things that I need are some custom overworlds and 96x96 trainer sprites for battle scenes. However, I'm also hoping to add "emotion portraits" to the game -- sort of like what Phoenix Wright games have, half-screen-filling (128x192) representations of a character's current appearance and emotional state.

If anyone feels like helping, I've got a few simple tasks to help me judge who's the best witch or wizard among you. Choose any or all of the following if you feel up to the task:

-A basic overworld sheet of Jovi from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, including standing still, walking, and running in all four directions. These should be in B/W style.
-Back and front battle sprites of the same Jovi, in Black/White style (full body backsprites and 96x96 canvas). You don't need to do the Ball-throwing animation, though, just the two static sprites.
-Phoenix Wright-style "emotion" portraits of Jovi as she appeared in XD. These should be facing left, and the following emotions should be accounted for: Happy, sad, and irritated. Canvas restriction: 128x192.

Additional information (applies to all of the above): No limit on colors (no palette necessary, have fun shading if you wish), PNG format with proper alpha channeling preferred but not required (just anything but JPEG, please!).

These sprites aren't the main character or anything, but since Jovi is a good reference (you can find a picture of her just by Googling it) that I doubt anyone has tried to sprite before, I figured it would be a good way to judge skill. Hats-off to any of you brave enough to attempt this life-threatening feat of artistry. I will leave you to your arcane tablet scrawlings and await the fantastical results that somehow follow.

(Hello, moderators. You may or may not look quite dashing today. If this is in the wrong section, my apologies, but with Smogon's layout the way it is, it's hard to pin down where to put requests if not in the appropriate topic-based forum.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)