SM UU HO Omastar and friends

Introduction

And we're back. I have been looking into OU and RU, but quickly returned back to UU, where I had a lot of fun playing stallish teams. Now on my journey to learn the game more I am trying to get a good grasp of Hyper Offense, so hopefully you can help improve this team.
It used to be a Zoroark Team (with the changes Zoroark for Bisharp and Infernape for Rotom-H), that puts up hazards, switches into a thread for the opponent, who then switches himself, only to recognize that this is not special-Celebi but a sword dancing Zoroark (or comparable scenario). It went well til around 1400 Elo, when people got better and Zoroark was gimmicky again. So here we are with a new iteration.

Teambuilding Process

Suicide Lead that tries to get up SR and at least a layer of spikes with the help of weak armor. Also carries double attack to punish Mamoswine Lead or taunt users.

First Z-Move User, sets up when it can and punches holes, especially versus bulky water types.

Punishes Defog-Users, knocks off stuff and is annoying with sucker punch.

Gives (former) needed pursuit access for Lati, outspeeds Beedrill, Zeraora and company and is basically the only answer for Infernape.

Rotom-H is the clue that holds the team together. Pivots in and out and Overheats threats from the grassy type.

NP Lucario cleans up often. He also deals with the common scarf users like Krook or Hydreigon and holds the second Z-Chrystal to nuke something.

The Team

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Basic Suicide Lead. Sets up Rocks, hopefully gets a speed boost from Weak Armor, and sets up at least one layer of spikes. Against taunt users Omastar packs double attack to punish the likes of Crobat, Kommo-o and others. In the lead matchup Scald also punishes Mamoswine who otherwise is annoying for this team.

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
Sweeper and stallbreaker. Gets rid of bulky water/ground types, forces a lot of switches that can be punished. Natural bulk also lets it take a hit and retaliate on threats liek Hydreigon. Was debating to switch this to Shadow Ball + Ghostium Z... (?)

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
Bisharp came in for the former Zoroark on this team. I also tested Honchkrow in this spot, but this basically made the team too SR-weak. Bisharp tries to punish Defog attempts, very important since we rely on hazards and give up a teammate to set them. Set is standard. Can work as a wallbreaker or sweeper, knocks off stuff. Especially needed to revengekill threats like Beedrill, Manectric and sucker punch holes into the opponents squad.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang
Aerodactyl is one of the best pursuit trappers in the tier and can reliably remove pesky mons like Latias, Moltres, Celebi, etc. for Lucario. Now with Bisharp in the team this is less important but still appreciated. With its speed tier MAero also threatens Zeraora, Mane, Beedrill etc. who otherwise plow through the team. MAero is also the only option against Infernape's SD variant who screws us up big time. Ice Fang also is a remnant from the earlier time where Mega-Altaria was an annoyance to the squad.

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Defog
Pivot that holds the team together. Gives a second and needed EQ resist, removes mons like Celebi, Chesnaught and Scizor to some extent. Also provides valuable volt switching to get other mons in with momentum. The fourth moveslot changed a lot through this teambuilding process. I stuck with the rarely used Defog to keep Rotom and MAero healthy in games where our hazards are already removed.

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
Since MAero is speedy but not scarfed-speedy Lucario threatens the common scarfers (Krookodile and Hydreigon) with +2 vacuum wave and defeats priory users that can kill Maero (scizor and crawdaunt). Flash Cannon is also a very needed attack on this squad since Bisharp rarely gets an option to kill Mega-Altaria for example.
Luke is commonly the main sweeper to the team and cleans up the game, or cleans all but one that dies to the last member of the team.

Conclusion

Currently sitting at 1450 on the ladder I feel this squad is alright. I want to stick to the HO theme, since I am trying to learn more about it. I am debating to switch Omastar, since as a lead it does not prevent rocks from the opponent. The spike is awesome though.
SD Infernape is a problem, so is every form of set-up Kommo-o. Especially substitutes or setup on Bisharp's sucker punch lost me half a dozen games.
I am not really sold on any part of the team, feel free to switch up whatever you like.
Thank you for your time and help.

DarwYyn

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Defog

Lucario @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Hi @DarwYyn, this is a pretty dope build you got based around Omastar spikes. Got some tips I wanna to go over along with some changes I made to the OG version.

Tips
  • Defog + Spikes: So this is pretty big, and I'm sure you're familiar with how counter-intuitive Defog + Hazard stacking is. Defog should only be used in case of an emergency but you should always commit to hazard stacking on these types of teams, unless you're ultimately losing the hazard war to another spike-stacking team (by a large margin) or whenever you need hazards off to let a 'mon back in i.e. m-Aero is at 23% but cleans versus a properly-chipped team.
  • Keeping up Hazards: I feel like this is another big one --- basically, even with Bisharp sometimes your main priority is to keep hazards up in the event that Bish cannot beat the removal reliably, so an example here would be Tentacruel or a Z-Hydreigon variant. Letting removers that the team struggles versus in for free is never optimal on hazard-stacking builds, and you lose a lot of momentum if you cannot profit off of it with Bisharp or keep them up.
Changes
Zeraora gives you a couple of things that Rotom-H could not. It gives you a dumb fast Taunter that can beat most of the tier's removal / force them to attack into it and an Electric immunity. If you ever face a Forretress it also spin-blocks thanks to Volt Absorb + Plasma Fists (which is pretty damn funny when you're not expecting it).

Without Celebi holdin' it down versus the bulky Water-types of the tier, I opted for Infernape as a substitute for Lucario. Thanks to Grass Knot, it can still reliably hit the likes of Slowbro-Mega and Primarina at +2, while reserving its Z-Move versus stall teams with Quagsire. Not having Vacuum Wave is fairly annoying, but the team has more than enough ways to deal with fast Dark-Types (excluding Mega Sharpedo). I'm gonna leave this one to you.

Pretty simple, a means of reliable speed control and a fantastic partner for your breakers thanks to Healing Wish. As a cleaner, it's outclassed by UU's other Scarfers but the support it offers to HO builds is invaluable. Note: I'd like to mention that Lati gives a couple of common Defoggers good opportunities so when playing make sure you keep that in mind when playing in those MU's.

[Ice Beam to Earth Power]
A minor change here on the Omastar set, but I feel like EP would come in handy versus Empoleon/Tentacruel as they are common forms of Hazard Control. Ice Beam did hit a couple of things but your team is more than capable of taking advantage of Dragon-types such as Kommo-o, Lati, and Hydreigon as well as threatening the common Grass and Flying-types of the tier.

-----------------------------

This is a pretty dope team, I like the whole Omastar spikes idea. If you do end up using the team I hope you enjoy it, but more importantly, you should see what coverage works with Infernape the best --- whether it needs Vacuum Wave or not is entirely up to you through testing. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing what you can cook up in the future.​

Last edited:
Hey really cool squad you have here dude especially because you are using Omaster. Ofc there is the issue with keeping hazards up as the Mon lacks Taunt but because this is the lead you chose I'll stick with it and try my best to support it. Anyway lets get into it:

Major Changes:

- I dropped Maero for Mega-Shark which can easily clean up late game and abuse the spikes + SR that Omaster sets. The main goal is to just weaken the opposing teams bulky walls for Shark to easily sweep. I opted for Earthquake to better handle Cobalion, Klefki and Bisharp.

- Next I replaced Lucario with Kommo-o as your breaker. Kommo-o helps break through Pokemon like Hippo, Chesanught etc while maintaining a solid answer to Bisharp. Seing as Omaster has SR this opens up the door for you to run Taunt to potentially screw over some of the walls trying to set their own hazards or trying to remove yours. And in the final slot I chose P-Jab to chip down Primarina, Togekiss etc.

- Just like 'sei. I added Scarf Latias over Celebi for some speed control. It has a much easier time preventing hazard removal also. I opted for Thunderbolt in the last slot to neutrally hit steel types and punish Empoleon. Healing Wish is really nice in the back for healing up Bisharp or Shark. It also stops you losing to Ape and Lucario.

Minor Changes:

- I gave Bisharp Darkinium-Z to better break MegaLix and Aggron for your Sharpedo to put in work.

- Adjusted your Rotom moveset because yeah Defog + Spike stacking is counter productive. For this reason I gave it Toxic + Pain Split over T-Bolt and Defog. Also gave it Lefties over Iapapa. Rotom-H should mainly be used as a pivot for the team while checking Scizor.

- Just like Sei I would opt for Earth Power over Ice Beam incase your opponent leads Empoleon or Tenta which can remove your hazards and beat them 1 on 1.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like the suggestions and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Honestly props for getting high on ladder with Omastar + Zoroark, I respect that. The team has no electric immunity but the combination of Rotom-H, Kommo-o and Latias keep Zeraora and Manectric in check. You only need minimal chip for Shark to just sweep through them also. I look forward to more heat you come up with and I hope this version of the team works well for you.

Thank you both!
Now with you two adding Lati and Healing Wish support, I am debating to put LO Honchkrow in the Bisharp spot again. We lose Defiant as the Defog block option, but gain hard hitting Brave Bird to break through the opp. team (could also put taunt on it, too annoy stallish teams even more). After the change we would lose the steel type and put another SR weak pokemon on the squad though and have no spammable Knock Off left...
Your take?

Thank you both!
Now with you two adding Lati and Healing Wish support, I am debating to put LO Honchkrow in the Bisharp spot again. We lose Defiant as the Defog block option, but gain hard hitting Brave Bird to break through the opp. team (could also put taunt on it, too annoy stallish teams even more). After the change we would lose the steel type and put another SR weak pokemon on the squad though and have no spammable Knock Off left...
Your take?
I would advice against this as your team is pretty reliant on Bisharp to deter hazard removal, at least for my variation anyways. Sei has fast Taunt Zera which helps with it too. Bisharp also adds valuable defensive utility thanks to its typing unlike Honchkrow. If you wanted a hard hitting bird I'd use Talonflame but that requires a lot more team support like a spinner etc. So i wouldnt say Honchkrow does much for you, as it is very niche in general. Hope this answers your question ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)