Help a VGC Beginner

Hey. I'm fairly experienced with smogon 6v6 but I'm a complete beginner at VGC and I'm hoping y'all can help me out. I know very little about double strategies/methodologies. Anyway, here's the first team that has ever had any sort of success for me, and even then only very low on the ladder.

Bisharp (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Protect
I got fed up with intimidators, so here he is. I like to send him out with Amoongus or Chandelure because Amoongus can rage powder fighting moves away from him, and Chandelure can discourage heat wave at the very least. Amoongus can also give him free swords dances at times, and sucker punches great especially if I can do something like Fake Out with Khan to deal with the other pokemon. Air Balloon so he's not easily taken down by E/Q, which is the only common spread move he's afraid of that isn't, say, discouraged by another teammate (i.e., heat wave because of Chandelure).

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Rage powder FTW. Although, I just recently discovered it doesn't affect grass types, so that's a bummer. Anyway, mainly support and to give other things free moves, especially to lure away fighting moves and WoW's from Bisharp so he can get up free Swords Dances. Spore because sleep OP, giga drain and protect because giga drain and protect. Can pair with Chandelure to take things like sucker punches from things or shadow balls from MGars, and to discourage heat waves. Occa berry so I can take a fire move if I really need to.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
As described above, this is to discourage heat waves, which much of my team really hates. I just really wish it was faster, because it goes down so easily to the most common moves (rock slide and e/q) and I'm pretty sure I need the air balloon for Bisharp. But I don't really know what I would replace this with because without it people can pretty much spam Heat Wave on me. Once it has a flash fire boost (which it can fairly frequently get if I e.g. swap it and gyarados for bisharp and amoongus) it deals some pretty nice damage, though.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch
I wanted a good fake-outer as well as something to hurt Mega Gengar so it can't as easily perish trap. Also, it's friggin' Megakhan, man. Why wouldn't I use it? The sole fighting weakness is very well covered by Gyarados and Amoongus, as well as Chandelure. Also helps against Tyranitar who otherwise does a number on me, since Amoongus is too weak to deal much damage with giga drain and Gyara is of course afraid of stone edge.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
Since I hated intimidators so much, I decided to just use them myself. Gyarados and Manectric form a double intimidate lead, or Manectric can stay non-mega to protect Gyara from volt switches. Though of course, discharge still sucks. But I guess that's why I have a Wacan berry? Though I debated going leftovers instead, since I haven't used that on anything. Anyway, more protection against heat wave. But, I might give it EQ over ice fang since it can't learn rock slide. It IS nice being able to 1-shot Garchomps, though.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Protect
Forms the other half of a double intimidate lead, and synergizes with Gyarados by deflecting electric moves like volt switch and thunderbolt (but darn you, discharge) before mega evolving. Thunderbolt because I need the other coverage moves and protect, and I can't discharge because I want to send this out with Gyarados. It's really an all-around awesome pokemon and I really like having something that fast. Protect really helps too because if I haven't mega evolved, I can do so while protecting, and then outspeed stuff. The coverage is fantastic to have especially since the rest of my team is so generally afraid of garchomp.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Importable:
Code:
Bisharp (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Occa Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)