Helena Beat (OU Drizzle)

I've been lurking in Smogon for almost two years now and this is my first time to post anything on the forums. To make my first post somewhat momentous, I made this RMT of my team that allowed me to reach as high as #19 on the ladderboard.

This team's primary goal is to suprise the opponents with unorthodox yet powerful sets - mainly from Ferrothorn and Gastrodon. Both are usually defensive Pokemon with enormous offensive potential, as this team proves. Of course, the surprise factor is not too great now because of this RMT.

This team does not have any particular name, I just got the title from a Foster The People song. Anyway, I've gotten tired of this team and I plan to retire it soon. Enjoy reading!

Teambuilding Process

Upon the arrival of the 5th generation, Storm Drain Gastrodon is one of the few Pokemon that captured my interest. But since it had no boosting moves apart from its ability, I slapped on a Choice Specs to amplify the innumerable boosts it gets.

A Specs'd Water Pokemon needs eternal rain to break through its foes. Politoed answers that call.

With the glaring Grass weakness, the assistance of a grass resist was needed. I chose Ferrothorn because of its other vital resistances, including Dragon. Ferro was Banded from the start just because I'm a fan of Choice items.

Choosing Ferrothorn gave me a Virizion + Breloom weakness. I needed a Flying type to resist both their STABs. I chose a Specs Tornadus to destroy the opposition.

Specs Tornadus would be constantly switching in and out with all the weather wars so a spinner was needed to remove entry hazards. I chose Starmie since it can damage spinblockers like Gengar and Jellicent.

60% of the team is now choiced. I figured that prediction could defeat me in the long run after the sets have been discovered so I opted for a set-up Dragon-type sweeper.

This team scored me high on the ladder but I still had trouble with stall teams. Although I miss Tornadus and his last-minute Tailwinds, I needed to deal with Skarmory and the pink blobs. A Fighting-type was my main candidate. Machamp fit that bill perfectly and his arrival on the team was all for the better.

Team In-Depth

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Of course, what would a rain team be if it didn't have a rain inducer. Honestly, if not for rain's absolute importance to this team, Politoed would not be in here. But I tried to make the most out of its bulk and this was the result. Perish Song is the most important move here, letting me escape DDNite, CM Latias and Baton Pass teams looking to set-up on Politoed. Protect helps me stack Leftovers recovery and avoid getting Tricked by annoying Rotoms.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is the glue to this team as it is my revenge killer, rapid spinner and occasional sweeper. I run Leftovers instead of LO to spin for the team much longer until the SR Poke is out of the game. Stamie is my answer to Tornadus and CB Terrakion, things that would otherwise sweep me with impunity. Hydro Pump also lets me severely dent CB Scizor after SR. The LO variant OHKO'd it though.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

This team has trouble with SkarmBliss and stall teams in general so Machamp kinda addresses that problem. Because of Substitute and its low speed, Machamp is almost always the first casualty. Despite that, it hurts and confuses Skarmory, Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn and Gastrodon - defensive Pokes that gives this team trouble.

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Stealth Rock

LOL CB Ferro. Anyone who has seen this thing in action could testify to the power of a Choice Banded Ferrothorn. Gyro Ball has amazing neutral coverage and is my main weapon against common Ferro switch-ins like Latios, Latias, Landorus, Haxorus, Dragonite, Gliscor, Toxicroak and Lucario. Power Whip is obligatory stab and SR is for feigning a defensive set. Credits to shofu for this idea. Finally, things like Magnezone and Heatran, expecting the defensive set, are destroyed by Bulldoze on the switch.

Gastrodon-Ea @ Choice Specs
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

The other half of my team's surprise duo and its most valuable player. This is my answer to Rotom-W - a thing I hate with utmost passion. Gastro just fucks Rotom up so bad, even with a resisted Surf and save for the rare HP Grass, the only thing it can do is burn me. Gastrodon is also one of the best Choice Specs users ever, only behind Latios and Tornadus. With Specs + rain + Storm Drain factored in, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is in for serious damage. In rain, Blissey and Ferrothorn are 2HKO'd by this monster after Storm Drain. 'Nuff said.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

The late-game cleaner/end game sweeper. After Gastrodon and Ferrothorn has softened the opponent's team, it's Dragonite's turn on the spotlight. I usually don't bring it out until I feel the game needs to be ended. ExtremeSpeed was better than Fire Punch in most situations and generally won me more games. Lum Berry gives me more opportunities to set-up and to capitalize on Will-O-Wisp and Toxic miss.

Former member:

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- Tailwind

Importable:
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

Conclusion

The two "gimmick" sets I used are amazingly consistent and effective. However, the team still has trouble with CB Terrakion and SD Scizor. When my opponents outpredict me, its usually gg. Other than that though, Ferrothorn and Gastrodon always make me proud, especially when I get a 6-0 with their help. :naughty:

Great team!
I'd suggest bulk up breloom over machamp.
Breloom @ toxic orb
Nature: careful
Ability: poison heal (duh)
236 HP, 212 Sp. Def, 60 Spe.
Moves:
Bulk up
Spore
Seed bomb
Drain punch
Breloom, when at +6, takes nothing from both skarm and gliscor, its primary counters. Breloom also destroys stall, something you'd have trouble with. Spore allows you to cripple switch ins, and set up. Rain helps you sponge fire attacks, though you must be careful of chandelure.
Hope this helped!

I fought you with this team the other day in a Tour. Crushed me. That banded Ferro trolled me so hard. I had nothing for it. Really good team man. I like it a lot. As far as I can tell you got most things covered. No suggestions I can think of as of now :D

Ooo, a banded Ferrothorn! It's definitely a very underrated threat because no one uses it, and the opponents are usually astonished when Ferrothorn tears through their Darmanitan and Politoed. This is a pretty solid looking team, although I really suck at teambuilding, so I really don't know what to suggest. :o

Was I the one who helped you with this lol :P
Don't remember, helped a lot.
But nevertheless, fantastic team, and great use of Specs Gastrodon and Band Ferrothorn. I thought'd they'd never be used..
Only thing I saw was that since you were using a Machamp, para support would benefit this team greatly since you don't have too many fast 'mons.
I would suggest a Jirachi over Ferrthorn (:/) or even change your Ferrothorn set.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Speed 4 Def
Timid
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Water Pulse

This is the classic Sub CM Rachi set.. 60% chance of paralysis is very frustrating for opponents, and lets Machamp do it's thing a lot easier. This is also a Gastrodon lure, which makes your own Gastrodon great cause you can get a Storm Drain boost and destroy things with HP Grass and rain boosted attacks. Also keeps offensive momentum going so.

Here's the other set.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP, 86 Def, 176 SpDef
Sassy
-Stealth Rocks
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip

Dual hazards Ferro. I love CB Ferro as well, but this set also helps your team out a lot sooo. It provides paralysis support, as well as additional hazards since your Gastrodon and Dragonite are definitely going to be causing a lot of switches.

Well that's all I got, hope I helped :)

did you get the idea of this team from shofu by any chance? i love using unorthodox sets. overall good team with surprise factor!

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, cool team.

Anyways, I can definitely see the Terrakion weakness. If Dragonite/Starmie ever end up switching into SR, then Terrakion can pretty much tear through the team with Close Combat alone. Hazards+CB Terrakion can prove even more fatal, as they tack on more damage to Terrakion's already strong move in Close Combat. After a few layers of hazards, Close Combat can pretty much score an OHKO on anything that doesn't resist it. While you do have a Spinner, it's a Life Orb variant, meaning that there's a pretty big possibility that Starmie would already be in range for Close Combat to KO, or fainted by the time Terrakion comes in. Again, Dragonite is hardly a check either, as it will fall if the opponent makes just one good prediction and takes it out with Stone Edge. Your team is also a bit weak to SD Lucario, if Dragonite's Multiscale has been broken. Dragonite is a decent means of beating Lucario, but has a 50% chance of being OHKO'd by +2 Extremespeed if it switches into Stealth Rock or has taken a good amount of prior damage. +2 Close Combat is also pretty threatening, scoring OHKOs 100% of the time on Gastrodon, Politoed and Lucario. Starmie would be a decent revenge killer otherwise, but sadly, it takes 108.78% - 127.86% from +2 Extremespeed. Anyways, I think you can definitely fix your weakness to Lucario and Terrakion. First, you could probably try a Defensive Tentacruel over Starmie, which also does a pretty decent job at handling the threat of SD Scizor; 2HKOing in the Rain whereas Scizor can't 2HKO back. Tentacruel and Ferrothorn collectively make a core that CB Terrakion has a hard time breaking; Tentacruel takes Close Combats while Ferrothorn takes Stone Edges. Finally, Tentacruel is a pretty nice check to Lucario, as it deals a ton of damage with Scald and Protect to take Extremespeed better. I also think your team would benefit a lot more from using CB Terrakion over Machamp. CB Terrakion is able to reliably revenge any Lucario lacking Bullet Punch and also has much better offensive presence than Machamp. Terrakion is able to crush Blissey, and also do 49.7% - 58.68% to 252 HP / 252 Def Skarmory; which nearly guarantees you a 2HKO on Skarmory. Terrakion is a much better stallbreaker than Machamp and can decimate entire stall teams with proper prediction. Finally, Terrakion's Speed Tier also allows it to act as a revenge killer to many Pokemon other than Lucario, such as Hydreigon, Celebi, etc.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Scald

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Additionally, I think you could make a few smaller changes to your team. I can see Trick Room Reuniclus as a pretty big threat if Dragonite's Multiscale happens to be broken. Trick Room Reuniclus is 2HKOing every one of your team members [save Dragonite with an active Multiscale] with its excellent Psychic/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast coverage. While you'll probably be able to deal with Reuniclus in the end, there's no doubt that it's able to tear a huge whole in your team, and under the right situations, possibly sweep. SubDisable Gengar is another thread in the same vein as Trick Room Reuniclus almost. If it can set up a sub, it can cause some heavy damage to your team when behind one; provided Multiscale is broken. While these two Pokemon aren't major threats, they can certainly damage it, which can facilitate a sweep for another one of your opponent's Pokemon. Anyways, to alleviate this weakness of your team's, I think you could revert back to Defensive Gastrodon. It's still quite powerful in rain and helps the team out by checking a plethora of powerful threats. You could also potentially change your Politoed's EV Spread to M Dragon's variant: 248 HP | 156 Def | 64 SAtk | 40 Spd. The 40 Speed allows you to outspeed and Toxic/Scald Pokemon like Skarmory, Jellicent and CB Tyranitar, which hang around the 180 Speed tier, before they can hurt you. This can often come in useful, as Jellicent is a major means of beating Rain; so obviously getting Toxic on it would be huge. The Special Attack EVs are to net OHKOs on most Gliscor and Landorus in Rain, but you could probably dumb them into Def or SpDef if you so choose.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Change Summary:

Politoed:
Current EVs->248 HP | 156 Def | 64 SAtk | 40 Spd

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Hey...I battled you on ladder...and you lost horribly to me! Cuz seriously dude, you are soooo weak to sun of any kind, it buttrapes you and then goes in for the kill.

:I

I suggest...moar CB Dnite.

@DuckTux: Banded Ferro is just the ultimate troll. By the time the opponent discovers it, it's usually too late. lol

@APimpNamedSlickback: Thanks for the suggestion man! I would try those two sets and I'll update you soon :D

did you get the idea of this team from shofu by any chance? i love using unorthodox sets. overall good team with surprise factor!
shofu got it from me, actually. I never knew he did until I ran across his TM87 video and ended up in his Wi-Fi battles. He said he liked my team and he used it in two of his videos.

To everyone, thanks for the rates and comments! Everything is appreciated.

Hey there, cool team.

Anyways, I can definitely see the Terrakion weakness. If Dragonite/Starmie ever end up switching into SR, then Terrakion can pretty much tear through the team with Close Combat alone. Hazards+CB Terrakion can prove even more fatal, as they tack on more damage to Terrakion's already strong move in Close Combat. After a few layers of hazards, Close Combat can pretty much score an OHKO on anything that doesn't resist it. While you do have a Spinner, it's a Life Orb variant, meaning that there's a pretty big possibility that Starmie would already be in range for Close Combat to KO, or fainted by the time Terrakion comes in. Again, Dragonite is hardly a check either, as it will fall if the opponent makes just one good prediction and takes it out with Stone Edge. Your team is also a bit weak to SD Lucario, if Dragonite's Multiscale has been broken. Dragonite is a decent means of beating Lucario, but has a 50% chance of being OHKO'd by +2 Extremespeed if it switches into Stealth Rock or has taken a good amount of prior damage. +2 Close Combat is also pretty threatening, scoring OHKOs 100% of the time on Gastrodon, Politoed and Lucario. Starmie would be a decent revenge killer otherwise, but sadly, it takes 108.78% - 127.86% from +2 Extremespeed. Anyways, I think you can definitely fix your weakness to Lucario and Terrakion. First, you could probably try a Defensive Tentacruel over Starmie, which also does a pretty decent job at handling the threat of SD Scizor; 2HKOing in the Rain whereas Scizor can't 2HKO back. Tentacruel and Ferrothorn collectively make a core that CB Terrakion has a hard time breaking; Tentacruel takes Close Combats while Ferrothorn takes Stone Edges. Finally, Tentacruel is a pretty nice check to Lucario, as it deals a ton of damage with Scald and Protect to take Extremespeed better. I also think your team would benefit a lot more from using CB Terrakion over Machamp. CB Terrakion is able to reliably revenge any Lucario lacking Bullet Punch and also has much better offensive presence than Machamp. Terrakion is able to crush Blissey, and also do 49.7% - 58.68% to 252 HP / 252 Def Skarmory; which nearly guarantees you a 2HKO on Skarmory. Terrakion is a much better stallbreaker than Machamp and can decimate entire stall teams with proper prediction. Finally, Terrakion's Speed Tier also allows it to act as a revenge killer to many Pokemon other than Lucario, such as Hydreigon, Celebi, etc.

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Scald

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Additionally, I think you could make a few smaller changes to your team. I can see Trick Room Reuniclus as a pretty big threat if Dragonite's Multiscale happens to be broken. Trick Room Reuniclus is 2HKOing every one of your team members [save Dragonite with an active Multiscale] with its excellent Psychic/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast coverage. While you'll probably be able to deal with Reuniclus in the end, there's no doubt that it's able to tear a huge whole in your team, and under the right situations, possibly sweep. SubDisable Gengar is another thread in the same vein as Trick Room Reuniclus almost. If it can set up a sub, it can cause some heavy damage to your team when behind one; provided Multiscale is broken. While these two Pokemon aren't major threats, they can certainly damage it, which can facilitate a sweep for another one of your opponent's Pokemon. Anyways, to alleviate this weakness of your team's, I think you could revert back to Defensive Gastrodon. It's still quite powerful in rain and helps the team out by checking a plethora of powerful threats. You could also potentially change your Politoed's EV Spread to M Dragon's variant: 248 HP | 156 Def | 64 SAtk | 40 Spd. The 40 Speed allows you to outspeed and Toxic/Scald Pokemon like Skarmory, Jellicent and CB Tyranitar, which hang around the 180 Speed tier, before they can hurt you. This can often come in useful, as Jellicent is a major means of beating Rain; so obviously getting Toxic on it would be huge. The Special Attack EVs are to net OHKOs on most Gliscor and Landorus in Rain, but you could probably dumb them into Def or SpDef if you so choose.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Change Summary:

Politoed:
Current EVs->248 HP | 156 Def | 64 SAtk | 40 Spd
Hey man! Great suggestion. My current Starmie is a Leftovers variant because it died too quickly with LO. It didn't have Recover though so it was hard to keep it alive. I'm actually still having a hard time choosing between recovery and coverage.

Anyway, I used Tentacruel and Terrakion and they're both working great. Tenta survives longer with Rain Dish but it becomes set-up fodder most of the time though :/ I'm thinking of Ice Beam over Protect. CB Terrakion works wonders, too. I'm also trying a Sub-SD variant since I suck at prediction. For Gastrodon, Specs is just too good to pass up. But I'll definitely try a defensive set sooner or later.

Thanks again!

@StallMandibuzz: Thank you!

@Max212: Thanks for answering for me. lol

@Lavos Spawn: I don't remember you. Lol. But yeah I agree, this team is just so rain-dependent that it's gg without Politoed. Hmmm, CBNite. Three choiced Pokemon was my problem before so I guess that's counter-productive. Still, thank you for the suggestion! Appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)