XY OU Heart of Mist, Soul of Steel [CobaLias Core]

Hey nerds - I recently started work on a new team for ORAS, and I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on it - I've included a threats list down below to provide some context on issues my team's facing, and provide a starting point for feedback ^^

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion was the starting point for this team - With its impressive physical bulk, wide movepool, and immodest speed, it functions as an effective late game sweeper. Chose it over the more popular Terrakion due to its ability to take a physical hit better if I need to Swords Dance in a 1v1 situation, as well as provide more opportunities to set up rocks against physical attackers. Combined with the Lum Berry, this provides plenty of opportunities for setup and allows it to also act as a scout against pokemon that can carry several status moves, such as Chansey.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Roost

The CobaLias core has lost some effectiveness since Steel losing its resistance to Ghost, but still has great synnergy as they cover one another's weaknesses near perfectly, and Latias' Psychic typing can be used to bait Dark type moves to give Cobalion a nice attack boost. Latias' good special defense also combines well with Cobalion's physical defense to ensure that they can even take neutral hits for one another in a pinch. Defog seals Latias' spot on the team, as it allows her to fully utilize her ability to switch in on Cobalion's weaknesses by clearing away hazards which are a big threat for the other members of the party.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dual Chop

Some testing revealed a crippling weakness to Charizard X on my team, and Scarfchomp was implimented as a counter-measure. Thanks to its blistering speed, it can switch in on a Charizard as it Dragon Dances, outspeed the next turn, and OHKO it with Earthquake. In case of a misprediction, it also has enough bulk to survive a single hit from Charizard Y, and can oneshot it in return with Rock Slide. Although it shares the same Fairy weakness as Latias, Garchomp has excellent synnergy with Scizor, the team's go-to Fairy killer, as it resists Scizor's only weakness, and is in turn protected from the likes of Clefable by Scizor's access to Bullet Punch. It also effectively deals with the likes of Volcarona, being able to switch in on Quiver Dance and wipe it out with Rock Slide. Finally, Rock Slide was chosen over Stone Edge as it provides more reliable damage, and the extra power on Stone Edge wasn't necessary for checking any of the threats Garchomp was chosen to deal with.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Stockpile
- Scald

Quagsire has become my team's tank after a weakness to physically defensive stat boosting pokemon became apparent. It's grass type weakness is all but neutralised by the typing of several other members of the team, and Unaware+Stockpile provides an excellent method of bolstering Quagsire's defenses. Despite this, however, Quagsire hasn't quite been pulling its weight - its defenses pre-stockpile are kitten poor for a dedicated tank, which means that it is unable to switch in on heavy-hitting attackers and wall them from the get-go, instead being two-shotted by hard-hitters such as Latios. This weakness is accented by Unaware, meaning that pokemon locked in to Draco Meteor can continue to pound Quagsire with no repecussions due to the Special Attack drop. The final nail in the Axolotl's coffin is the weakness to Toxic, and the fact that, unlike Crocune, cannot be used to scout status moves, as it has no method of cleansing itself.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

My team's lack of quick-response physical attackers made Scizor a logical choice for the fifth slot. Latias and Suicune take high-power Fire moves for Scizor, who in return, acts as my team's main revenge killer and tears through annoying Fairy types with Bullet Punch. This is where the U-Turn core on my team also begins to take form, as Scizor can hit offensive switch-ins like Charizard-X with a well-timed U-Turn, then tag out with Landorus to cripple them with an Intimidate.

Manectric (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

With two effective U-Turners already on the team, I decided to continue the trend by throwing in Manectric. Forming a strong double-intimidate core with Landorus-T and adding the finishing touches to the hit n' run combo my team has, Manectric acts as a secondary lead for my team, getting an easy Mega Evo on common leads such as Ferrothorn and Forretress, and OHKO'ing them with Overheat before they get a chance to set up too many hazards. Lightningrod also gives Manectric more opportunities to switch in, and helps to cover Cobalion's low Sp.Def and Suicune's natural Electric weakness. I chose to take some EV's out of speed and put them into HP to aid in survivability - this gives Meganectric 396 speed, beating the entire 130 speed tier and outspeeding Adamant Mega-Gyara after a DD, and has a good chance to OHKO it after Stealth Rock damage.

I've had a good deal of success with this team since its inception, and I feel that each member of the team synnergises well with the others, either by covering weaknesses or emphasising strengths. I have had some problems however, which are listed below.

Oh wow, Rotom-W's a problem, what's new? The main issue here is predictability - tanky variants cripple Latias with T-Wave and Trick, preventing her from Defogging away the ever-threatening rocks. More offensive variants can survive hits from Cobalion and exploit its low SpDef. Finally, it's STABS tear up Lando and Suicune, and it resists Scizor's main revenge kill move. Not exactly an 'I will sweep your team' threat, but still a real headache.

Conkeldurr's versatility is also an issue for me - whatever my team does, Conkeldurr has an answer to it. While Latias can OHKO Assault Vest variants with Psyshock, she can't switch in due to Knock Off doing massive damage and losing the Life Orb. Cobalion can't eat Knock Off's due to Mach Punch, Ice/Fire Punch cause big problems for Landorus and Scizor respectively, and Suicune although Suicune takes Thunderpunches well, Scald runs the huge risk of burning it, which would allow it to go on a hair-glowing, boulder-tossing rampage through the rest of my team.

While Greninja is a threat, it's not nearly as bad as the previously mentioned offenders - That is, if Manectric's managed to Mega Evolve. Low Kick prevents Cobalion from coming in on it, Ice Beam deals with Landorus and Latias, and HP Fire can OHKO Scizor. Suicune can deal with it, but can't switch in on Grass Knot sets, and really needs to get at least one CM up before it can effectively wall it.

Thoughts:
- I am currently not thinking. Durrrrr.

Last edited:
Hey there darkumbreon13,
First of all, I love the creative idea of incorporating a Cobias (I think that's what it is) core. It's interesting and unique, and it could catch opponents off guard.

Going through your RMT, I can understand your trouble with Char X (the thing's a monster), Rotom-W, and Conk. Greninja is currently being tested as to whether or not it becomes banned, so I'll get back to you on that as the time comes. However, I have noticed this team is a little risky going up against mons like Thundurus-I as well, who could go about wreaking havoc. Personally, I would recommend an Offensive Swords Dance Cobalion, with SD, Close Combat, Iron Head, and SR. This helps keep the idea you are going for, while also giving Cobalion the versatility to serve as a potential lead with SR. By using it as your lead, Cobalion can also be easily crippled by status, specifically a Prankster T-Wave or Will-O-Wisp. To deal with that, I would recommend using a Lum Berry.

No matter what Cobalion set you run, Conk, Char X, Thundurus, and definitely Rotom-W are still gonna be giving you trouble. I feel something on the lines of a Scarf Garchomp/Excadrill/Landorus-T could patch a few of these holes. Garchomp is your best solution to Char X and Thundurus, but it lacks the movepool to conveniently deal with Conk's bulk and Rotom-W. Excadrill, on the other hand, has access to Mold Breaker and a fairly good attack stat. It will conveniently deal with Rotom-W and Thundurus (and somewhat dent Char X), but Conk's Mach Punch and Char X w/ Roost are trouble. Finally, there is Scarf Landorus-T, which somewhat solves all your problems outside of Rotom-W. I would personally suggest some kind of bulky grass, such as Amoonguss, to serve as a specific check for Rotom-W, but that's your discression.

That's all I have for now. I'll get back to you with more feedback when it comes. Ciao

Thanks for the reply!

I really like the set you've suggested for Cobalion - Landorus has been doing its job as a Stealth Rocker, but its low speed is somewhat of an issue later on in the match if I need to set up rocks again after a Defog, and having a fast rocker like Cobalion would certainly be an asset.

I'll give Scarfchomp a shot later on today in place of Scizor - I've heard the legends about how it deals with Charizard, and the reisistance to fire is certainly helpful. With rocks on Cobalion, I'll probably give Landorus a scarf and change it to a more offensive set as well, since it won't be necessary for setting up anymore.

Hi there! I have noticed that your team has a pretty big weakness to Mega-Slowbro. Once it has set up a few Calm Minds, Suicune will not be able to handle it if it runs Psyshock. To avoid this, I would run Unaware Quagsire. Quagsire will be able to play the Stall role that your Suicune played. Your opponent can set up, but Unaware will cancel that out. Here is the set you should use.....

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

This is just a WIP, I will work on it some more later. Hope I helped!

I actually ran an Unaware Quagsire back in gen 5, and it worked wonders for me back then! I used to run one with the same set, except it had Stockpile over Scald. How effective do you think Stockpile would be on it? Is it worth losing an attack move for?
If you want, replace EQ with stockpile so that thew burn does not do sins for you.

Little update here:

- Put Scarfchomp on the team in place of Landorus-T, and it's been working out really well. Excellent lategame sweeper and a hard counter to Mega Zard X, giving me a much needed switch-in against it. Deals well with Zard Y and Volcarona too, who could be somewhat problematic.
- Not finding many opportunities for Cobalion to set up rocks, mainly due to his poor special defense and lack of healing moves, but I can see the merit in it, and I'm confident that further practice will provide better results.
- Not such good news regarding Quagsire. In every situation I've needed a reliable tank, it's failed me. Outside of Toxicing 1-2 members of the enemy team, it's died spectacularly quick due to its poor defenses, and provides only semi-reliable tanking on one side of the spectrum, depending on where I invest the EV's, which isn't good given it's my team's only puretank. Are there any more reliably tanky pokemon that can check mega slowbro?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)