ORAS OU Hail is grey (Aboma+M-Diancie hail team Peaked #65)

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
HAIL IS GREY

Hi everybody!

I'm Katutverde, the only player using non-mega Abomasnow in OU! Yeah this seems silly, but honestly what I like in pokemon is having fun competitively ("wh.... what?"). Yeah there is already loads of good players who builded strong teams around weird mons. I'm not incredibly good, and I feel bored when using "standard" teams. But I thought that, since I'm the only one playing Hail without mega Abo, I could show what I do to the community .

In fact what I like the most in pokemon is watching RMT's and I decided to make some team showcase, since I'm sure most of you will like this. Giving to hail a place in the ORAS OU meta is my dream. It's been hard because I was trying to turn something "bad" into good, while improving my own skill (I'm a quite recent player). I started pokemon too late to do it in DPP and BW, anyway there is already good players who did it during past gens : my favourite ones are Emeral and Lady Bug. Even before starting playing online I knew by heart Emeral's teams and everything about Hail. I will give you links to RMT's after my own RMT.

Today I consider I've got a hail team enough solid to be presented (just for team showcase). It works fairly well against the meta, abomasnow is necessary for it to work, and is sooo funny to use!

So now let's dive into a white and misty world!!!

First of all I decided to pair Abo with a strong mon sharing good synergy (I decided to stop putting bad mons in my teams, which often happen to me^^) : Diancie! Abo RK's serperior, and LandorusT, walls manaphy, in return Diancie counters/checks heatran, zardY, ZadX, and most importantly Talonflame and birds. I noticed that everybody use to predict diancie switch and send a manaphy, so adding an Abomasnow sounded great.

Since the two previous members either counter, check or weaken on the switch talonflame's counters, I decided to focus the whole team on a talonflame. Manaphy goes down after repeated hits, rotom can't recover thanks to hail and wOw on the switch, Heatran can't regain health because of hail, the same for Lando-T.... In return, Talon counters scizor, zardY, gengar which cause problems to Abo and Diancie.

But now there is a big weakness to thundurus, manectric, raikou freely voltswitches, and Ttar does huge damge : a rock resist is mandatory in a hail team! So came gastrodon. In fact, this slug perfectly fits in the team. I've builded enough bad hail teams to see that pure bulky water don't really work, because hail and rocks do too much damage, and Ttar is able to punch through them. I really like bulky water/ground mons in hail teams! Moreover gastro+talon+abo is an awesome core: bye electrics, bye bulky waters, manaphy, please don't try to set up on gastro since abo will take care of you!!

Ok, Diancie has magic bounce, but using it to block rocks is quite risky : Hippo EQ's, LandoT EQ's, Ferro Gyro's, Heatran prays for lavaplume burn, Clefa just moonblasts, Excadrill just ignores magic bounce and on and on. So I need a spinner. Who? Skarm! Defog! A solid mon.

What could I add next? I don't see any big flaw. Oh. I see. Let's add a RK. Alakazam sash. Speed, guaranteed RK on DD mons and SD ones.

Here we have a pretty good team at first glance!!

But after some battles I noticed that Alakazam was... useless. He was walled by steels and most importantly clefable; since abo, diancie and gastro can't beat clefa, alakazam wasn't a good idea. So I added Reuniclus which walled medicham lopunny CM keldeo, venusaur ferro rotom, and could set up against clefa (I gave him a Flame Orb so as to avoid paralysis haxx and always win 1v1. He also had magic guard. Skarm was changed to forretress because of overcoat, ability to hit bisharp with EQ, and for spin/SR. He was less passive than skarm, and was able to check/counter the same things : lopunny bisharp metagross.

Here I didn't really know what to do : reuniclus literrally annihilates semistall and provides a solid switch-in to certain threats, but needs a support that my team can't provide : he's too slow paced and can be killed by repeated strong hits (you don't even need to counter it). Ferro was also a pain to deal with : he keeped rocks up against my team. I ran trick Flame Orb reuniclus so as to whether burn ferro and allow forretress to spin or to steal heatran leftovers and therefore blocking his recovery, but he was finally unable to sweep most of the time, and was slowing the team down.

So I decided : I want this team to fully support talonflame and if some threats can become dangerous without reuniclus, too bad ! I must focus on my win condition and not only counter the meta. So I happily added Xatu after a lot of thought. Bye ferro, hippo rocks, Xatu also checks mega zor who can plow through my team if talon is under 50%. It's funny to play mindgames with lopunny : HJK or return/forre or xatu ? The point with Xatu is to be able to switch talonflame freely.

So this is the final result !

Team in-depth analysis

This team is based on very solid cores, and works very well because the whole team totally supports talonflame. My playstyle is weird indeed, but I didn't throw Abomasnow with random mons. This is the team I spent the most time on, and I needed loads of battles to see what I had to change. All the movesets are different from the beginning, and spreads too. The first goal was to use Abo+Diancie, but quickly turned to "Supporting Talonflame thanks to hail".
If you like original teams and details, here you will find as much information as you can hope for! Let's goooo!

Jiratwo (Diancie) @ Dianciite
Pre-mega ability: Clearbody / Mega ability: Magic Bounce
Naive nature (+spe -spDef)
Spread: 32 Atk ; 224 spA ; 252 speed
-Moonblast
-Diamond Storm
-Heal Bell
-Protect

Diancie is arguably a frightening mon. Even if underrated, he can wreck teams by just clicking 160BS moonblast. I'm not a fan of such « brainless » strategies, and I added Diancie for specific reasons. I noticed that most of my hail teams hadn't real talonflame counter. Rotom ? No, bad under hail. Slowbro ? Mmmh no time to lose with stupid mindgames with spDef talon. Ttar ? Lol this is hail ! I tried weather ball raikou, and then dicovered Diancie, which entered this new team at the beginning.

Diancie walls spDef talon (which is almost the only talon I met when I builded the team, and which is by far the most annoying).

He is the second most dangerous member of the team after Talon. Diancie can freely launch moonblasts since even if a scizor or ferro comes the rest of the team renders them unable to bother me. Diancie is also my only counter to Sableye, my switch in to zardX, he can almost always get a kill against sand offense when he comes. I usually use Diancie as a revenge killer against offensive teams since they have no switch in, keeping it is essential against such teams. Against balance he is almost deadweight unless I manage to ko scizor, ferro, or put hippo and clefa in KO range. That's why he brings heal bell so that he can cure my talonflame from a paralysis (from clefa) and gastrodon or himself from a lavaplume burn. Heal bell is crucial because my only way of killing clefable is Talonflame; usually I bring gastro and double switch to Talon to avoid paralysis, but Heal Bell saved me many times.

I tried HP fire and earthpower, but since my opponents scout they are quite useless; anyway healbell is much more useful, and ferro/scizor are dealt bye talonflame/xatu; excadrill, magnezone and hetran are walled bye forre/gastro.

It's crucial to keep him healthy to RK a +2 bisharp (who would manage to beat forre) with moonblast and to beat Pinsir (sacking sth instead of taking heavy stab return on the switch).

To put in in a nutshell Diancie puts pressure and supports/RK before the late game where Talon cleans.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 152-179 (63 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

224 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 238-282 (87.8 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

32 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

224 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 118-140 (35.3 - 41.9%) -- 87.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 157-186 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 76-90 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 84% chance to 3HKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 89-105 (36.9 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Haymitch (Abomasnow) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
Adamant nature (+atk -spA)
Spread: 128 HP ; 252 Atk ; 128 spe
-Ice shard
-Wood Hammer
-Leech seed
-Protect

Abomasnow is a pokemon I like a lot, because of Hail. I use it for hail only : I call it Abo-support. It's important to see the difference with mega Abo, who is a wallbreaker and which benefits from Hail damage as a « little plus ». That's why I often sack abo, or let him take unnecessary damage just to keep hail up (only against stall and balance which rely on leftovers, moreover many smogon movesets present spreads like « to avoid 2hko after SR », but hail changes everything when it comes to Ohko or 2hko.

Abomasnow must be kept healthy if your opponent has BD azumarill or manaphy. The spread allows to hit as hard possible (ohko manaphy easily, 2hko serperior with hail damage, one ice shard + 2 turns of hail or one lifeorb recoil puts thundy in KO range for Talonflame, ice shard one shots dragonite and offensive chomp/landoT..).

Leech seed is a key move to heal any damage and at the same time weakening Heatran, Scizor, metagross... NEVER use it against a +3 manaphy, because it's GG if manaphy stays (+3 ice beam = 65.7-77.6%).

The speed EVs allow Abo to outspeed BD azu with weird spreads (loads of people run more than 164 speed EVs; I put 128 since it outspeeds the fastest azu I found on the ladder XD. Abo doesn't really need HP EVs, and putting enough hp to tank +3 icebeam after SR is imposible since otherwise standard azu outspeeds Abo (anyway SR is never up with my team). So even if I had put 252 speed Abo would work as well.

I use Protect on Abomasnow since it is very useful in tandem with Leech seed and against Specs Keldeo. When I was running Reuniclus it was not a big issue to mispredict and sending Reuniclus on a scald: he avoids 2hko. But now I have Xatu which is almost Ko'd. So it's important to avoid risky plays against Specs Keldeo: Talon outspeeds, Diancie too, Xatu force him to scald, Gastro forces him to secret sword. I already have forretress which attracts keldeo without knowing what he'll do; no need to do the same with Abo: I run Protect.
A weird option is possible over Protect : Swords Dance. I would use it for stall : my team just can't beat stall if Diancie doesn't crit Chansey. I noticed that Abomasnow Leechseed+SD wrecks quagsire, clefable, Sableye, mega Slowbro, and beats a weakened amoonguss. But as long as Skarm is above 20%... If I manage to outsmart my opponent and force him to send Skarmory on Diancie, or even to lure it with Xatu, then Abo can sweep. I didn't try it (stall is very rare, and so anti-meta that I hate playing against it), but I think SD could save me in a tournament. Will put a replay if I get one with SD sweep. SD is also my last hope against MagicGuard clefa if ever Talon faints. But as said before Protect is very important to scout Keldeo and quicly weaken steels.

It's important to notice that I he doesn't have Icy Rock. In fact leftovers are very useful, and since Abo works in a FWG core (apart of the pseudo Abo-Diancie core, pseudo since steels beat both of them), he usually comes and brings hail, switches out and comes back approximately at the moment where hail stops.

252+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 338-402 (99.1 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Manaphy: 246-290 (61.3 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

burned 252+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 116-140 (38.2 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 152-182 (50.8 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 120-144 (41.2 - 49.4%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after hail damage

252+ Atk Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 240-288 (74.3 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 187-220 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 240-288 (67.2 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

Skyliner (Talonflame) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant nature (+Atk -spA)
Spread: 248 HP ; 204 Atk ; 56 spD
-Brave Bird
-Will-O-Wisp
-Taunt
-Roost

Talonflame : The god. If ever Talon dies I just can forfeit (never happened (almsot) yet). Talon is bye far the best partner for Abomasnow in ORAS OU. The whole team is builded around Talonflame + hail since it shuts rotom and heatran down, and Abo eats hippowdon for breakfast, same for Manaphy. Since the stallbreaker version lacks a bit of offensive pressure hail is a real gift so as not to see Heatran and friends recovering health via Lefties after a brave bird on the switch. Hail also allowed me to get Kos on Slowbro with Bbird.

At the beginning Talon was Banded, cuz the standard stallbreaker was too weak (I've no real RK). So I tweaked the set : 204+ atk for RevengeKilling purpose, 248 hp to deal more easily with zardY, SD scizor (56 evs in spD) allow Talon to avoid 2hko from timid zardY flamethrower (so instead of being forced to roost, I can wOw a Ttar on the switch). Yeah, I don't run 60 speed since burning jolly exca isn't a very good idea when rock slides LO remain supereffective, and such a situation will never happen.

Talonflame usually gets from 4 to 6 kills per battle. He just wOws his counters, waits said counters and checks to fall in KO range thx to hail and other members, and then just stallbreaks. Talonflame is one of the pokemons I like the most in ORAS since he has « decent, humble stats » and is however very hard to counter. Since building around Abo is hard, having a strong mon like Talon helps me to stand up against this Metagame.

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 105-123 (35.1 - 41.1%) -- 73.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 189-223 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 144-171 (43.2 - 51.3%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 192-226 (64.6 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 212-250 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 157-186 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 237-280 (91.5 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 256-303 (71.3 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Matelas (Gastrodon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Sassy nature (+spD -spe)
Spread: 252 HP ; 112 Def ; 144 spD
-Scald
-Earthquake
-Clearsmog
-Recover

Gastrodon has an official niche in ORAS. I know it since I looked at the teambuilding compendium once in my life and saw it. That's why I wonder why nobody uses it. Whatever. I use it since I enjoy using underrated mons which have potential, and also because I needed a special wall, electric absorber. Gastrodon beats Alakazam, KyuremB, Diancie, Hoopa-U special most of the time, totally counters manectric, raikou, thundurus, rotom, starmie (beware of psyshock), kingdra, scarf Keldeo, support Ttar...

I use my own spread « specially defensive ». I wonder why Smogon only proposes a « physically defensive » since it's pretty bad : doesn't really counter Keldeo specs, takes huge damge from LandoT... For me Gastro has a niche as a « specially defensive wall ». I choose 144 spDed EVs to avoid 2hko from psychic LO alakazam, even with hail up, which got a kill each time he came in when I was running physically Gastro.

ClearSmog is run over toxic and curse ( yeah I used curse on gastro) since it allows him to completely wall nasty plot Thundy. I also use Clearsmog so as to stop Clefa from CMing : but then I must send Talon to beat it (no need to take +1 or +2 moonblasts eh). Mirror coat allows him to kill clefa after a +6 moonblast, but sacking gastro is a pretty bad idea. If you face heatran don't click scald but EQ, since specially def heatran often takes risks in order to use Toxic or SR. Oh,sure. If the heatran hasn't leftovers nor balloon, then it is magmastrom+solarbeam, so it's necessary to send Gastro against him with Hail UP ! Yeah, solarbeam does half damage under hail, and gastro can easily recover after it.

Try to scaldburn latios since he is very dangerous (no real switch in). Or run mirror coat^^

252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 179-212 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 171-202 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

96 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Psychic vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 195-230 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

96 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Psychic vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 195-230 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa Unbound: 156-184 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 179-212 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 181-214 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon: 253-298 (59.3 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Heatran Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Gastrodon in Hail: 240-284 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Gastrodon: 202-238 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Home (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Relaxed nature (+Def -spe)
Spread: 252 HP ; 252 Def ; 4 Atk
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Volt Switch

Forretress : Forretress is the physical wall who only has one weakness like Gastrodon. He is not that good in OU, but works wonders in my team : Overcoat makes him immune to hail and spore, so he is the best switch in to Breloom ; he laughs at banded Scizor's u-turn, so we can say of metagross' moves. He spins and sets up rocks. EQ is mandatory to weaken bisharp and put it in RK range, and to hit metagross (3hko), it also 2hkos excadrill, and heavily dents heatran and magnezone (KO if they are weakened).

Volt switch is a nice move : for example if you send forre ona scizor who reveals SD, you can use volt switch and bring talonflame safely. I use voltswitch after being swept twice by a scizor setting up on ferro and hitting talonflame on the switch. Forre is also the best weavile counter ever, he can take 2 HJK from lopunny, can be sent on pinsir and Ddnite and then voltswitching to the right counter while breaking multiscale. Voltswitch also allows me to break non-mega gyara substitute without having to sack something.
Gyroball and Toxic can be run on the last slot just to beat DD Defensive MegaAltaria, but this thing is less common that darmanitan and nidoking so you see how useless it is to take altaria in consideration; I got swept by Altaria once, but I think that playing carefully with Talon can stop it.

Forretress easily goes down but never before having done his job (spin, and SR) or having dented something. He is also far funnier than Skarmory and can have both SR and rapidspin while walling lopunny, weavile, sharp, zor, and other physical attackers.

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 114-136 (32.2 - 38.4%) -- 2.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 132-156 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 136-161 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 198-234 (54.8 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 88-104 (24.8 - 29.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 92-110 (30.5 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 252-300 (65.4 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Forretress Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 236-280 (72.8 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aiedail (Xatu) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
Bold nature (+Def -Atk)
Spread: 252 HP ; 160 Def ; 96 spe
-Foul Play
-Heat Wave
-Reflect
-Roost

Xatu : after trying reuniclus, I noticed that his passive nature allowed my opponent to freely SR with ferro, heatran, chomp,... Moreover my team is already weak to scizor, sableye and megagross, so using CM reuniclus was not a good idea. I tried Future Sight LO reunclus but he was not enough bulky. So I added the only psychic type who fitted the team : Xatu. His typing allows him to come on HJK, secret sword ; he is also the only psychic type who can RK +2 adamant mega scizor thanks to heat wave. Foul play force out offensive talonflame, gallade, medicham, and does huge damage to +6 azumarill. Foul play is a key move on xatu so he is not set up fodder. Reflect is the best 4th slot I've found so as to win against defensive landoT ; Reflect also allows him to escape Ttar, and gives 4 turns of doubled defense to the remaining team, which can save games. The first goal of reflect is to beat defensive Lando.

Rocky helmet is arguably the best item for Xatu since he is quite passive, and goes down quite quickly : he can also stall lopunny by clicking roost and waiting him to die of rocky helmet damage, it 's also the only way xatu has to damage TankChomp.

Xatu has only one goal : blocking ferro, skarm, landoT, hippo, chomp, jirachi rocks. He is also my only safe switch in to Keldeo's specs secret sword. If your opponent hasn't said pokemons then Xatu can be sacked without big trouble; you can see that Xatu is the key of the victory against semi-stall and balance. 96 speed EVs in order to outspeed neutral nature 252 speed mega scizor, take a +2 BP and retaliate with heat wave.

Let's make things clear : Diancie can be used to bounce rocks back against Ttar and heatran ; Xatu is the real hazard control pokemon ; and Forretress stops rocks from moldbreaker excadrill ; he has not enough staying power to spin more than twice (sometimes once) in a battle : he also must set up rocks and take strong hits. That's why Xatu is so useful at blocking hazards, and is preferred over Reuniclus.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Xatu: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Xatu: 238-282 (71.2 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Xatu Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (93.9 - 111%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Xatu: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Xatu: 198-234 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Xatu: 234-276 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

THREATLIST

From the most common to the least one (most dangerous in PURPLE, then RED and ORANGE)

Calm-Mind + Magic Guard+T-wave Clefable: this thing is already able to sweep serious OU teams, so defensive Hail teams relying on Abomasnow and residual damge struggle with it. Only one way to beat it: Clearsmog its boosts and send Talonflame, and Heal Bell a paralysis if necessary. Clefa is extremely dangerous: I must play around during the game while weakening Talon checks, and clean late-game with Talon. Clefa isn't very dangerous when Talon cannot be stopped.

SD sharpbeak Talonflame + Pinsir: Diancie can RK +2 talon, and Gastro at full health has 23% chance of surviving. But when paired with Pinsir: Diancie loses to +2 Talon if he had to take a +2 quick attack before. So I have to put pressure aginst birspam and prevent birds from setting up, while keeping Talon at full health to avoid +2 quick attack from killing it.

Sableye + Chansey: Sableye prevents Talonflame stallbreak, blocks rocks, and Chansey walls Diancie. But if I get a Diamond Storm crit...

Sylveon specs: I can only send Talonflame and roost. The best is to hurt sylveon a bit before, and RK with Diancie or Talonflame. The cleric one is very annoying too because of healbell.

BulletPunch+Ice punch megaMedicham : impossible to switch in. I just can get some residual damge with rocky helmet and RK with Talonflame. Gets a kill each time it comes.
if he is paired with clefable or sylveon it's almost gg.
Bulky Excadrill+Sableye: damn GG. Total counterteam, magic bounce his useless, Talon too, and Forre cannot spin. This combo is pretty rare, but means auto lose for me.

Jolly Crawdaunt: outspeeds Abo, ohkos Diancie, Talon. I must weaken it with RockyHelmet and Foul Play of Xatu, voltswitch of Forre, and RK with Talon. Probably the biggest threat.

HP Fire Manaphy: Yes, this thing exist. I don't know why some people use it since it has horrendous coverage, but I got swept once or twice by this thing. The only thing to do is to sack Diancie after a moonblast and to RK with Talonflame. But I lose Abo (lured) and Diance, so it's almost GG.

REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-329861368 : Abo walls manaphy and open holes thanks to Leech Seed+Protect against offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-329873433 : battle against dragon-steel-fairy offensive team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333146967 : I totally counter a zardY + sand team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-332223644 : total counter of an Azelf HO team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330463160 : do you really believe that having excadrill+Ttar+landorusT is enough to stop Talonflame? What seems a bad start turns into a win.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330434527 : battle against venu+heatran balance. Thundy and heatran finally go down and Talon sweeps.

I hope you enjoyed this team and took time to understand the spirit of hail. This is a very serious team which is perfectly adapted to the current meta, and more particularly to Balance, Semi-stall, Offense and Bulky Offense. It perfectly take advantage of Hail residual damage, supporting Talonflame.
I'm very happy to share my unique playstyle and to show that Abomasnow-support bringing hail as many times as possible and walling manaphy and bulkywaters is a very funny pokemon to play, without being outshined by megaAbo who lacks recovery, can't outspeed azumarill, and takes the crucial mega-slot of Diancie !

Just before the end, have a look at these RMT's of really good hail players that I do admire a lot !

Emeral
Freeze ya Ass Up
A BW hail team of Emeral, the hail player that I admire the most !

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/hail-team-freeze-ya-ass-up-peaked-1.3471326/
Here's the french version si vous êtes français comme Emeral et moi :
http://www.pokebip.com/fora/viewtopic.php?t=23090

Highway to Hail
The gen4 Hail team of Emeral ! In french.

http://www.pokebip.com/page__strategie__493__guides__RMT__OU_Hail.html

Lady Bug
Goodbye gen4!
An incredible hail hardstall team of Lady Bug (gen4).
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue12/featured_rmt_ou :

The_Elitist and mien
The Art of Hail Stall

The first competitive Hail team ever (built during gen4 before Garchomp ban by mien and remastered by The_Elitist.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-art-of-hail-stall-ranked-nº1-on-the-smogon-ladder.45149/

It's looking at these incredible RMT's that I became a Hail fan!! I'm happy to present a gen6 Hail team, even if I don't assert to be as good as them (my inability to reach #1 proves it^^).
:)

Now if you've read a bit of my explanations, and understood how the team works, you can try it (honestly I can't guarantee you will manage to win easily since it's not that easy to use^^)

Haymitch (Abomasnow) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Matelas (Gastrodon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

Jiratwo (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Skyliner (Talonflame) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Home (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Earthquake

Aiedail (Xatu) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Reflect

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I feel that people copying the team without reading anything is stealing it. But anyway I'm not going to use it a lot now, so I finally added an importable : I will be happy to see people using it on the ladder (even if they don't understand nothing :') )!

Hey Ktütverde, you've obviously put a significant sum into making this team and I cannot imagine changing any 'mon and not expecting a plethora of consequences as a result. You've obviously posted this to show the product of your effort and optimizations are probably more along the lines what you'd be looking for (More people should read the 'Common rating mistakes' thread).

Firstly, I'd suggest optimizing Talon's EV spread to give you more breathing room around 'Zard Y. You obviously want to keep the offensive power, so I'll go for changing the EVs to 248 HP / 204 Atk / 56 SpD. This allows Talon to avoid the 2HKO from 'Zard Y's Timid Flamethrower after Lefties recovery - if you want to be able to take one after SR then you'd have to go all the way up to 104 SpD EVs - but IMO that's not worth it because you'd get screwed over by Fire Blasts or potentially Modest Flamethrowers. As you said, putting Thundy in BB range with Abombasnow is pretty vital, and after two turns of hail and LO, Aboma does 72.8% - while this amount of attack investment does 33.1% minimum - still more than sufficient. However, Abomasnow doesn't guarantee the OHKO on Manaphy - it comes very close, but not quite. Still, you can reduce its attack investment to 244 Atk, which still has the same chance to get the KO. Where the other EVs go is up to you.

Since you're running a Relaxed Nature on Forretress - presumably for the slow Volt Switch. If so, then why not go straight for the 0 Speed IVs? You may not be running Gyro, but the slow pivot is nice - unless you want to outrun Mega Sableye before it burns you - then you can go with 1 Speed IV. The rest of your team is optimized quite nicely, good job, and I hope I helped!

Ktütverde

of course
Hi Flyogonial! I'm so happy to see that someone took the time to read my RMT!

Your perfectly right in suggesting the spDef boost for Talonflame. It indeeds prevent the 2hKo from flamethrower. I didn't add spDef evs since I just needed to roost fireblats from ZARDY out (I can survive until sun stops, or pp run out), but flamethrower has far more PP and can be troublesome. I also think that avoiding 2hko allow me to 1-Come on a Flamethrower 2-wOw a Ttar on the switch, instead of being forced to roost.
Losing some attck Evs isn't such an issue, as lon as I'm adamant and still have about 200 Evs.

I will test it, and this change will probably become official. Thanks a lot man! :]

Ktütverde

of course
I forgot commenting the LO suggestion (for Abo).
I just won't change leftovers. My abo needs them to last against bulky waters paired with a mon immuned to leech seed. Abo needs to be at full heath to wall manaphy, and doing more damage to serperior and thundy isn't necessary: thundurus can NEVER beat gastrodon, and if he manages to do it, it will only be wit LO and nasty plot : focus blast may miss, LO recoil+scald/clearsmog+hail puts it in Ko range for abomasnow + talonflame. Anyway nastyLO thundy is almost non existent so it's pointless.

If ever I need an iceshard boost I will put EXPERT BELT as I do for my offesnsive hail teams. But this one needs leftovers :]
Another time, thanks a lot for seeing details I didn't even saw before :)

I forgot commenting the LO suggestion (for Abo).
I just won't change leftovers. My abo needs them to last against bulky waters paired with a mon immuned to leech seed. Abo needs to be at full heath to wall manaphy, and doing more damage to serperior and thundy isn't necessary: thundurus can NEVER beat gastrodon, and if he manages to do it, it will only be wit LO and nasty plot : focus blast may miss, LO recoil+scald/clearsmog+hail puts it in Ko range for abomasnow + talonflame. Anyway nastyLO thundy is almost non existent so it's pointless.

If ever I need an iceshard boost I will put EXPERT BELT as I do for my offesnsive hail teams. But this one needs leftovers :]
Another time, thanks a lot for seeing details I didn't even saw before :)
What LO suggestion though? I think you misread the line about Thundy - I meant the Thundy is using LO. The whole point was that Talon could still RK LO Thundy after one round of LO recoil, 2 rounds of hail damage, and one Aboma Ice Shard. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, though.

Ktütverde

of course
I added Flygonial spread for Talonflame in the RMT (204 atk doesn't change anything, but 56 spD do (zardY flamethrower)).
I also added sylveon specs and megamedicham in the Threatlist (the former in orange and the latter in purple).
Thanks Flygo :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)