Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Gyarados is a prominent sweeper in OU, distinguishing itself from other Dragon Dance sweepers and Water-types due to its ability to consistently break through premier Grass-types such as Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, and Ferrothorn with its access to STAB-boosted Supersonic Skystrike. Gyarados is primarily seen on hyper offense builds, where it can exploit its bulk either behind dual screens or Aurora Veil, which grants it more opportunities to freely set up, or behind Sticky Web, where it becomes an increasingly terrifying late-game sweeper. Sticky Web also helps remedy Gyarados's average Speed tier, allowing it to outpace Pokemon such as Mega Alakazam and Tapu Koko without setting up. Gyarados struggles to break past defensive Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W, so Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Zygarde make excellent partners. Gyarados cannot break past Unaware users such as Pyukumuku and Quagsire either, so hard hitters such as Kartana and Kyurem-Bed also make good partners.

Here's a replay from the first cycle of the Official Ladder Tournament, which showcases how easily Gyarados is able to set up and sweep:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-780742938

Last edited:

teachable

Banned deucer.
hiya friend. not qc but feel free to read this over and implement what you want.
Gyarado is a prominent sweeper in the OU tier, distinguishing itself from other Dragon Dance sweepers and Water types thanks to its ability to consistently break the tier's premier Grass Types such as Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu and Ferrothorn thanks to its access to a STAB-boosted Supersonic Skystrike, in addition to having access to an incredible ability in the form of Moxie to aid its sweeping capabilities.

break this into two or 3 sentences, and place some extra emphasis on breaking grasses. I'd also drop something about it being superior to it's mega form and the best DD user Zygarde instead of just "DD users and Water pokemon"
e.g. "bla bla 1 of scariest dd pokemon. distinguished from other blah boosted SS. In addition moxie."

Gyarados is primarily seen on Hyper-Offensive builds, where it can can abuse its bulk behind Dual Screens or Aurora Veil, which grants it more opportunities to freely set up or behind Sticky Webs, where it becomes increasingly terrifying late-game sweeper.

Talk about it's already good bulk becoming great behind. Additionally, how it is supported by webs e.g. mediocre speed tier. Probably mention moxie and the ability to not need many boosts for webs. Again, two sentences.

Unfortunately for Gyarados, electricity is conducted by water, so electric types such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko pose as large threats, meaning that pokemon such as Landorus and Zygarde make excellent partners for Gyarados.

These pokemon are a problem because they're bulky, the electric typing just means they can ohko you back. Fit that in somewhere imo.

♥♥♥

For curiosity
Landorus is banned. I assume you meant to say Landorus-T.
where it can can abuse its bulk behind Dual Screens or Aurora Veil, which grants it more opportunities to freely set up or behind Sticky Webs
Do here what teachable said on the second point. Specify a bit how these playstyles help it, Facebook audience isn’t the most knowledgeable.
Tapu Koko
Replace this with Rotom-W. Koko is outsped and KOed by a +1 Earthquake. I know Rotom-W is not the very best OU pick out there, but it’s been used considerably in OLT specially for Gyarados.

On another note I’d like to see a replay from OLT or at the very least a mention of the tour somewhere. And finally, you’ve misspelled Gyradaos throughout the whole spotlight, so please fix it before sending to GP :facepalm:

For teachable
break this into two or 3 sentences, and place some extra emphasis on breaking grasses. I'd also drop something about it being superior to it's mega form and the best DD user Zygarde instead of just "DD users and Water pokemon"
e.g. "bla bla 1 of scariest dd pokemon. distinguished from other blah boosted SS. In addition moxie."
I don’t think it should be broken into 3 sentences, as it links to Gyarados being able to beat said Grass-types thanks to SSSS. Also did you say Gyarados is superior to Zygarde or did I misread it?

Happy to see you on OU nonetheless :)

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
fuck lyd who snipes me

u could mentioon typing since u help w gren heatran etc
also maybe mention unaware as an issue in comparison to mega if u can, and then talk abt how zygarde and lando can help reduce pp of muku or weaken w boom maybe too.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Gyarados is a prominent sweeper in the OU tier, distinguishing itself from other Dragon Dance sweepers and Water-types (AH) thanks due to its ability to consistently break through the tier's premier Grass-types (AH, lowercase T) such as Tangrowth, Tapu Bulu, (AC) and Ferrothorn thanks to with its access to a STAB-boosted Supersonic Skystrike, (RC) which allows it to differentiate itself from its mega form. In addition to this, it has access to an incredible ability in the form of Moxie to aid its sweeping capabilities. Gyarados is primarily seen on Hyper-Offensive hyper offense builds, where it can can abuse exploit (abuse is not the same thing as exploit or utilize; there is a key connotation difference) its bulk either behind dual screens or Aurora Veil, which grants it more opportunities to freely set up, (AC) or behind Sticky Webs Web, where it becomes an increasingly terrifying late-game sweeper. Sticky Webs Web also helps remedy its Gyarados's (the subject of the sentence was on Sticky Web, not Gyarados) average Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed outpace Pokemon such as Mega Alakazam and Tapu Koko without a Dragon Dance boost setting up. (remove line break) Gyarados stuggles struggles to break past defensive Electric-types (AH) such as Zapdos and Rotom-Wash, so Pokemon such as Landorus-Therian and Zygarde make excellent partners for Gyarados. Unlike its mega form, (RC) Gyarados cannot break past Unaware users such as Pyukumuku and Quagsire either, meaning that so hard hitters such as Kartana and Kyurem-Black also make good partners.

Unfortunately, there is no replay for us to showcase (unless any notable player participating in the tournament (the word was missing so i assume you meant to say tournament?) would like to contribute); (ASC) however, we can safely report that Gyarados is making waves on the OU ladder, where the Official Ladder Tournament is currently being held! You can find us here If you would like to participate in on the Official Ladder Tournament discussion, (AC) you can find us here!
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/olt-v-discussion-thread.3639258/
I was fairly liberal with my changes in order to get the character count down near the limit, and i ended up getting it down to exactly 1k characters unintentionally. I only counted the first paragraph in the character count too
GP 1/1

(unless any notable player participating in the tournament (the word was missing so i assume you meant to say tournament?) would like to contribute);
this quote was entirely removed as it was a WIP note that I forgot to remove, but other than that, everything has been implemented! Thank you everyone!

Reactions: asa
I'd like to use this post to remember and mourn the loss of the various failed attempts I had at trying to spell "Gyarados". Amen to you, Gyrados and Gyaradaos. Unfortunately, this won't save me from the humiliation i've already seen. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)