Gotta go slow (Trick Room doubles team)

Hello everyone, Recently, after watching the Paul vs. Brandon episode of the anime, I decided to run a status orb Ursaring on my OU team. He had an amazing attack stat and was perfect for the job, but he had one pathetic stat that rendered him almost unusable, speed. I decided to look into double battles and trick room teams, and I realized that Ursaring would be almost beautifully perfect for it. So I whipped up a quick team, made Ursaring the core and started trying it, after about a week of tweaking, this is what I got.
Bear in mind I'm still new to both the strategy and the tier so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
The Team

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch

Ursaring's the main offensive powerhouse on this team, using swords dance on the first turn to get +2 attack, while absorbing the first hit with his 385 HP. His abysmally slow speed stat lets him move first with trick room in play. With swords dance up and flame orb activated he can easily plow through a team OHKOing pretty much everything with Facade. Hammer arm beats lucario, aggron, bronzong, and the few other things that could otherwise survive facade. Crunch deals with ghost types as my other moves wouldn't affect them.

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
Bronzong leads alongside Ursaring, setting up trick room and absorbing whatever damage my opponent can even try to get on this beefy guy. His EV spread makes him the ultimate wall. Sitrus berry works as a security measure against a Fire Blast from a juiced up Blaiziken or the likes. Setting up Stealth rock on the next turn I can secure some decent damage on switch-ins. Explosion is for when my health dwindles and the battle is nearing an end. Gyro Ball takes advantage of Bronzong's base 33 speed. Levitate makes him work well with Dragonite when it's using earthquake.

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

This is the first of the 4 pokemon that aren't usually seen on a trick room team, but definitely get it done. Dragonite is a dynamic pokemon that can deal with pretty much everything and I usually like to save him for emergencies such as having no advantages over my opponents remaining pokemon. He can survive almost any move that isn't ice type with his Defense/SDef stats. Inner Focus prevents Fake Out so I successfully Outrage/Earthquake. Fire Punch deals with Ice type pokemon that try to take it out, and also works against Grass,Bug, etc. when Chandelure can't. Extreme Speed deals with opponent's that have priority.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 180 Def / 220 SAtk / 108 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Chandelure is extremely utilized on my team, he's immune to damage from Bronzong's explosion, he can lay down Trick Room after Bronzong is fainted, heat wave hits all pokemon on the battle field, HP Electric helps me take down Water types if I'm stuck in battle, but I would definitely switch if I could, water and ground types are her bane.

Suicune @ Iron Ball
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 1 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Suicune is a pokemon I've had on almost every team I've made. Being able to set up a calm mind or two he can sweep with ease, Ice Beam deals with Dragonite and friends. Hydro Pump Goes without saying, and HP Electric is waiting for Water Absorb to be released, but rounds off his moveset effectively without it. Iron Ball halves speed as Suicune is not normally a pokemon used in trick room and is therefore fast, but still fares surprisingly well.

Gallade @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Trick Room

Gallade ties off my team and packs a punch as well. Leaf Blade takes care of water types when I don't feel Chandelure can, so always. Close Combat deals with dark types, and stone edge pretty mush overpowers anything that doesn't resist it after swords dance. Iron Ball is used here as well to half speed. I originally planned to use justified with Beat Up but it didn't work on my team the way I wanted it to.

Team Synergy

Bronzong sets up Trick Room for Ursaring... That's pretty much it here. Chandelure works here too.

Bronzong Has levitate so Dragonite is able to use earthquake without hurting my team.

Gallade's got Chandelure's Back. Leaf Blade deals with her water/ground weakness and Close Combat deals with her dark type weakness.

Dragonite covers Suicune's weaknesses. Fire Punch for grass types and Earthquake for Electric types, it's a shame he's part flying.

So that's my team, if you have any suggestions post them below.

Importable:
Ursaring (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Hammer Arm
- Crunch

Bronzong @ Mental Herb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball

Dragonite (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 Def / 220 SAtk / 108 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Suicune @ Iron Ball
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 1 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Gallade @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Trick Room

Last edited:
Hi, looks like you have a decent TR team on your hands. I'd like to suggest some move, EV, item and nature changes.

Regarding moves, you don't have Protect on any mons! Protect is the most important move in Doubles, allowing you to stall, avoid moves, or even get that last point on Sand damage. I'd suggest putting Protect on every mon. However, your TR setters might not be able to fit a moveslot for it. Here are some recommendations as for what move to replace.
Ursaring: over Swords Dance
Bronzong: probably not needed
Dragonite: over EQ
Chandelure: over HP Electric
Suicune: possibly over Protect
Gallade: probably not needed

Here is a list of individual moveslot suggestions:
Chandelure: Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse gives you a strong STAB and better coverage on most things
Gallade Trick Room > Swords Dance probably will help your team a little more with a third setter.

Now onto EVs. I'm not really going to suggest much here, just trying to help you improve the RMT.

If you could explain the reasoning behind Bronzong, Dragonite and Chandelure's EV spreads, that would definitely help other raters. I'd be willing to help improve them in the future.

As for natures, you have a lot of defense-boosting natures on your sweepers. I would change them to offensively-helping natures. Dragonite and Gallade could use some improving. ;) Also, Suicune is Modest-natured and could function more optimally in TR with a Quiet nature.

Hope this rate helps!

Ursaring probably wants Close Combat over Hammer Arm too, just for the extra power. Or he could use Earthquake as a spread move.
At higher levels, Imprison could be a really useful bonus on Chandelure, preventing your opponent from using Trick room to reverse yours, or using Protect to stall it out.

You probably don't need Stealth Rock on Bronzong, but I can see its merits, to net OHKOs that otherwise might elude you. Only use it if you're sure there aren't Fire types or Taunt users to destroy it before it sets up Trick Room. Speaking of Taunt, Mental Herb is probably a better item, maybe not on the ladder because of a lack of Taunt usage. I'd also use Explosion in a different way, use it ASAP after you set up Trick Room to allow Ursaring to come in free of damage and give him as much of a chance to wreck stuff before Trick Room expires. Oh, and from personal experience, you can run 92 attack EVs to OHKO Terrakion if that's important to you (with terracott still proving a menace, it could come in very handy).

I'd lose outrage on Dragonite, since you can't aim it at an opponent. Draco meteor might be better, even though it's coming off an uninvested special attack stat or you could invest in special attack).

More generally, I'd say you seem generally unprepared for anything that will prevent Trick Room going up, so one or two fast mons to keep you in it when Trick Room is not around, especially those with Fake out or Taunt support to help you set it up, could be invaluable. Not sure what you'd repalce though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)