Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodra works insanely well w/ azumarill. Azumarill can deal with physical dragons no sweat. Particulary garchomp, easily absorbing those outrages. Goodra CAN NOT take an outrage. don't waste your goodra people. azumarill's weaknesses are covered by goodra, and Azumarill can switch into those ice shards and outrages. Just make sure its not earthquake incoming. That usually sucks.

Cement Shoes (unable to move under water XD )
Goodra@Leftovers/Damp Rock
Hydration
Sassy 252 HP / 126 SpA / 126 SpD
~ Rain Dance
~ Infestation/Protect/Rest/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Breath
~ Thunder
~ Muddy Water/Aqua Tail

The EVs could use some retooling but I think this is a very good mix of tankiness and utility. I was not impressed with the Assault Vest build, where the damage difference is far better compensated with Leftovers making you overall far bulkier and letting you use certain support or boosting moves because despite coverage power was always wanting. Rain Dance provides three benefits A) it removes status affects B) makes Thunder 100% accurate and C) powers up your water move of choice. Remember, 30% = 100% in pokemon so paralysis from Thunder is a semi-reliable occurance, allowing you to now outspeed pretty much everything now and potentially nab free turns of Leftovers healing. A stronger Muddy Water also has good potential in lowering the opponent's accuracy on top of this, making you extremely hard to hit, and unless you've been boosting, not likely to do much on top of this. Aqua Tail on the other hand gives you some mixed potential in case they send in similarly specially defensive behemoths. You have lots of options for your last move. Infestation traps and gets you the most out of your paralysis and accuracy manipulation, Rest for the immediate mega healing in case of emergencies, Dragon Pulse for more reliable STAB which, when combined with Water and Dragon I believe is unresisted outside of Whimsicott and Ferrothorn (who you will outstall, but Leech Seed is still annoying), or Dragon Breath for less power but additional opportunities of getting that valuable paralysis in.

If Slimer were a Porcupine
Goodra@Rocky Helmet
Gooey
Bold/Calm/Impish/Careful/Sassy 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Infestation/Swagger/Outrage/Captivate/Toxic/Flamethrower/Sludge Bomb/Dragon Tail
~ Infestation/Swagger/Outrage/Captivate/Toxic/Flamethrower/Sludge Bomb/Dragon Tail

Goodra's natural special bulk is to the point where physical attacks and status become necessary, and this set handles both. Physical attackers risk Rocky Helmet damage on top of a speed drop, and Resttalk handles status as well as keeping you overall very healthy. Your last two options are far too numerous. Sludge Bomb is a decent attack that has a fair chance of Poison which makes it a huge battle of attrition for your opponent, or you could outright Toxic. Combined with Flamethrower you can handle steels barring Heatran, or you could simply use a Dragon move instead. With hazards Dragon Tail becomes very annoying where with Sleep Talk and Gooey you can go first far more often and phaze them through hazards. Brutal with Toxic Spikes. Captivate and Infestation relegate mixed walls to hitting you physically but relying on Infestation damage alone isn't a great idea. Swagger is a double edged sword, encouraging the attacks on the physical side which put you at bigger risk against certain things, or just makes it a hair pulling nightmare for your opponent.

Salty Sailor
Goodra@Leftovers
Sap Sipper
Sassy 252 HP / 4 Df / 252 SpD
Sassy 252 HP / 252 Df / 4 SpD
~ Substitute
~ Curse
~ Body Slam
~ Dragon Tail/Outrage

A single Curse puts you at Garchomp level attack and defense while maintaining your special bulk and having far better defensive typing. Substitute protects you from status and after a Curse or two can actually be hard to break. Body Slam is a reliable move with that oh so valuable paralysis chance that will allow you to maintain a speed advantage against many things even after Cursing. ****! Dragon Tail allows for powerful parashuffling, making it hard for the enemy to boost or reliably break your sub while Leftovers replenishes health. Or you could simply ****ing Outrage.

There, a great set for each of his abilities.

The thing about Garchomp is, it has a hard time coming in on Goodra, since unless you have a Fairy-type, Goodra can just fire off Draco Meteor or Dragon Tail on expected switches to mess things up one way or another, and Garchomp definitely doesn't want to take those.

*Raises hand*

I noticed Goodra can be egg bred counter. I want to run this. What do I chan breed in order to make this possible?
There is probably an easier way but I see this one works:

Lucario onto Rhyhorn -> Rhyhorn onto Axew or Charmander -> Axew/Charmander onto Goomy

That doesn't sound right...

252 SpA LO Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Goodra: 212 - 249 (55.3 - 65.0%)
252 SpA LO Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD AV Goodra: 143 - 168 (37.3 - 43.9%)

These are the sorts of numbers I've gotten when using Goodra on Showdown, as well, so I'm confident they're the right ones. Even with no EVs, it takes about 40% with AV and 60% without.
I dunno then, either the calc I used isn't updated or showdown isn't. Maybe I used Modest Greninja by accident?

I dunno then, either the calc I used isn't updated or showdown isn't. Maybe I used Modest Greninja by accident?
Modest wouldn't cover the difference; the second calc still would still max out below 50%. Although 50% isn't too important of a threshold anyway because it's pretty easy to switch Goodra into a Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse it can shrug off so it only needs to eat one Ice Beam before incinerating Greninja.

"I noticed Goodra can be egg bred counter. I want to run this."

This is interesting, as Assault Vest doesn't prevent Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst, as they aren't status moves. Plus Goodra can act as a lure to physical attackers due to having weaker physical bulk, and his Gooey ability would be icing on the cake. It could also potentially use Infestation with this somehow.

Last edited:
"I noticed Goodra can be egg bred counter. I want to run this."

This is interesting, as Assault Vest doesn't prevent Counter/Mirror Coat/Metal Burst, as they aren't status moves. Plus Goodra can act as a lure to physical attackers due to having weaker physical bulk, and his Gooey ability would be icing on the cake.
Not exactly the best plan. Goodra has terrible Defense, and without any form of recovery, you'd want Goodra to only tank Special hits.Sure, you can Counter one physical attacker, but even if you don't die, now you have a horribly damaged wall that's useless to you except for death fodder.

Has anyone tried a set with acid armor? I can see a utility set with max hp/def and acid armor on it for insane bulk. Not sure what I would run on the as the other three moves though. Probably something like thunder wave+dragon tail.

Well, seems like my set crumbled lately. If you remember, I make sets for doubles, which are all about coming up with strategies to sweep through opponents. Goodra is good at pummeling through the competition and taking hits. But the mechanics flopped recently and nothing applies anymore, so he's useless
Just saying guys, he used to be good in doubles, but now his only hope is singles

Goodra works insanely well w/ azumarill. Azumarill can deal with physical dragons no sweat. Particulary garchomp, easily absorbing those outrages. Goodra CAN NOT take an outrage. don't waste your goodra people. azumarill's weaknesses are covered by goodra, and Azumarill can switch into those ice shards and outrages. Just make sure its not earthquake incoming. That usually sucks.
I've been using this duo with great success. They're an excellent bulky offensive core.

Goodra as a special tank is so good. I think its been so underrated.

I've been running Special Wall yield with Draco, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Dragon Pulse. I've debated on whether i should run Choice Specs or Leftovers but i ran Spec for a while and while I had great success, he is much better having leftovers because its ability to switch attacks

Goodra as a special tank is so good. I think its been so underrated.

I've been running Special Wall yield with Draco, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Dragon Pulse. I've debated on whether i should run Choice Specs or Leftovers but i ran Spec for a while and while I had great success, he is much better having leftovers because its ability to switch attacks
But special tank is the only set it runs, so how can it be underrated?

I've been thinking of using the AV set with Sassy, 252hp/40def/216spatk as ev spread, is this a good idea or just all 252hp/4atk/252spatk would be better?

Last edited:
I've been thinking of using the AV set with Sassy, 252hp/40def/216spatk as ev spread, is this a good idea or just all 252hp/4atk/252spatk would be better?
Do you have anything in mind for those 40 EVs to do? If not, just go full SpA.

Don't use Sassy, though; there's no sense in wasting Goodra's Spe.

I have had moderate success with this set. Main weakness is Periodic Damage, but I run it with a Clefable (immune to periodic damage + dragon moves, wishpassing)

Swag Wagon Assault Tank Dragon (S.W.A.T.)
Goodra @ Assault Vest
Sap Sipper
Relaxed (+DEF, -SPE)
252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SpA
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

This set's damage output is based around hitting for SE damage as often as possible. Everyone know Earthquake has massive coverage. Because he walls Grass Types so easily using Sap Sipper, Fire Blast is key to killing them back, or at least letting them know you are not to be trifled with. Power Whip hits those pesky bulky Water/Ground types, and it gets a few neutral 2HKOs and 3HKOs that Earthquake does not. Draco Meteor is what you use when a) they resist the rest/have low special bulk or b) they are switching and you want to punish them for it.

I am considering making a fully special tanking variant, but that has the downside of being wrecked by Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Breloom's Mach Punch and physical Venusaur variants, among others. This mixed defense setup lets him deal with these threats more easily, but makes him slightly worse at just switching in to special hits.

Hey guys I have tank goodra that very good at walling
Goodra
252 def /252 hp/ 4 SD- EV
ability gooey
item leftovers
toxic
rest
flamethrower
infestation
this set is good because most the time when the know I have tank toxic goodra the next thing I know they send steel type 7/10 to have free turn their u can use flamethrower could use fire blast but flamethrower for accuracy

Hey guys I have tank goodra that very good at walling
Goodra
252 def /252 hp/ 4 SD- EV
ability gooey
item leftovers
toxic
rest
flamethrower
infestation
this set is good because most the time when the know I have tank toxic goodra the next thing I know they send steel type 7/10 to have free turn their u can use flamethrower could use fire blast but flamethrower for accuracy
Slightly iffy. You could catch someone pretty good if they weren't expecting the flamethrower, but you'd have to predict the switch. Scizor is a near-guaranteed 1HKO, guaranteed if it hits any kind of entry hazard, so you've got that going for you, but a lot of other Steels are barely even 2HKOs with Flamethrower and can seriously wreck Goodra's day, thanks to that type being so physically-oriented. Excadrill can damn near 1HKO with an Earthquake.

Generally speaking I'd personally say it'd be better to just get the Goodra out unless you've eliminated any existing Special threats. Losing your special wall in a bid to sucker-punch someone is probably not worth it, especially when it's so heavily based on being able to predict the switch; if they outguess you, you've shown your hand.

It's also worthless against Heatran, which is likely to be a crucial point once the Pokebank opens up. Ferrothorn lost a little of his luster with losing two resists and the emergence of Talonflame as a massive offensive threat, and Heatran is poised to emerge as one of the OU tier's mainstays, as it's one of the only Pokemon in the game that can completely wall Talonflame.

I went with this set:

Goodra@Leftovers
Sassy Nature / Careful
Sap Sipper
252 HP/ 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def.

- Curse
- Substitute
- Iron Tail / Aqua Tail
- Dragon Tail / Outrage

Still working on the kinks of this set to see how it should be EVd and Natured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)