Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the official OU tier list out, it seems that Blaziken is back in OU. What are some cores that work well with him?
Off the top of my head, Pursuit Ttar can be a good partner as it destroys Ghost and Psychic types by itself. It also somewhat counters Talonflame, which otherwise has a field day with Blaziken.

EDIT: ninja'd.

Assault Vest TTar + Garchomp, totally shuts down the already nerfed weather teams + makes CharY cry.

Only question is to whether go SD Mega Chomp or Choice Scarf Chomp?

Couple this with Rotom and Ferrothorn Support :)

Cores seem much more difficult thanks to the ghost buff, but I'm probably still sticking with heatran/celebi/hydreigon. Outside of mega evolutions, there aren't any 6th gen pokemon worth considering replacing my old core.

The only issue is celebi; psychics are now more of a liability than ever in my opinion. Heatran cannot just come in and rape ghosts anymore. Ghost or Dark + Fighting seems pretty hard to wall this gen.

Hi guys, I'm new to pokemon when it comes to playing with real people. Played on emulator all the while. Please help me to decide my last pokemon. I'm currently running a
Greninja lead spiker
Assault vest goodra
Megamawile
Life orb aegislash
Belly jet azumarill...

Do I need a spinner or some pokemon to stall?

How about this core?

Mega-Gengar - Tentacruel - Hydreigon - Aegislash

I'm quite newish to competitive battling so want an opinion on what I could improve with this core.

How about this core?

Mega-Gengar - Tentacruel - Hydreigon - Aegislash

I'm quite newish to competitive battling so want an opinion on what I could improve with this core.
3 pokemon here are weak to ground - with only Hydreigon covering them and then only due to levitate so something with Mold Breaker (most likely Excadrill) could rip through them. This becomes a bigger problem when EQ users like coming in on Aegislash in the first place, due to it countering his Kings Shield. Also, Hydreigon isn't good to like taking on the "tanking" role too much.

Adding a Gliscor could help. Being flying, he covers the ground weakness and he already has great coverage with Tentacruel (everything but psychic, which is rare in attacking types and covered by Hydreigon anyway) and Aegislash (fire/water heading to the other two).

So I'll admit this is closer to a team than a core, but seeing as how there are just so many options for additional teammates and since the metagame is still in its infancy therefore I'm having to predict threats from last gen/obvious threats from this gen (Greninja, Aegislash) I've got a core four I feel really good going forward with

Mega Charizard Y @Charizardite Y
Naïve Nature
252SPA/252 SPEED/6ATT
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Focus Blast
Flamecharge

YZard suffers badly from 4MSS, so its very important to decide what threats you will be build around and which threats you want him to take care off. I decided that Dragons would be the type I'd trade off for a speed boosting move (Flamecharge) and I'd risk Focus Miss to hit Heatran and Tyranitar.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Chlorophyll
252SPA/252SPEED/6SPD
Leaf Storm
Growth
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

Covers YZards weakness' well, being able to remove Water and Rock types as well as being resistant to Electric. The idea is simple. Saur can either revenge kill w.e knocked out YZard, or hit TTar or the other weather inducers hard with LO Leaf Storm. Ideally he'd have a turn or two of Drought leftover to ensure either a +2 Growth or at least to outspeed w.e. comes in. If something Saur struggles with comes in, try to predict it with Sleep Powder and bring someone else in.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Thick Fat
252ATT/252SPD/6HP
Earthquake
Pursuit
Return
Wild Charge/Thunder Punch
With Thick Fat, he resist two things that Saur is weak to, Fire and Ice. The EV spread ensures he can tank some heavy special attacks from Psychic types that also hurt Saur and then Pursuit trap them. EQ is there as coverage for Heatran if YZards Focus Miss doesn't do the trick, and just to generally remove opposing Fires. Wild Charge is just to round out coverage for Water and Flying types, although this is more of a last resort type of move since I can't get the Psuedo STAB Fire Punch until Pokebank (Note, Thunderpunch is also an option that can be added after pokebank).

Klefki Leftovers
Prankster
252HP/252SPD/6DEF
0ATT IV's
Thunder Wave
Substitute
Swagger/Draining Kiss
Foul Play
By far, my favorite monster of Gen 6. This guy is as hilarious as he is effective. I slashed the Swag set, partly because as fun as SwagKi is, it's entirely luck based, and Draining Kiss, while weak, does recover good bits of health when it SE hits Dragons. This guy is mostly here for said Dragons, as well as to help slow down potential sweeps. Until I'm entirely positive who else will round out the team, I will continue to alternate between SwagKi and StallKi.

I've mostly battled over WiFi and not on Showdown so the core isn't tested against quality opponents, but I'm fairly confident in this core as long as I round out the remaining weakness'.
Moving onto said weakness', the PinkBlobs and Special Walls will give this core some trouble, as well as entry hazards. For spinners, I've had a tough time deciding between Donphan, Starmie, or Tentacruel. Out of the three, Phan is in the lead due to being able to hit Ghost types with Assurance, resisting Rock, and additional EQ support which is always nice, although with the weather nerf, his weakness to Water is highlighted since Drought won't keep that at bay. As for the other entry remove option, Defog, I don't have any idea who would be a good teammate for this core that has access to that move, so input on that end would be appreciated.
For physical attackers, I'm pretty much in the same boat of lack of ideas. Conkeldurr seems like a solid choice, but he really only serves to remove the two blobs and doesn't add much from there. Any ideas on that end would also be appreciated.

Seriously, I've made a new core that wrecks everyone on WiFi and Showdown. Its the common SD Aegislash paired up with my very own Assault Vest Togekiss. You wouldn't believe how effective they are together, what with the synergy and all. The Assault Vest and defensive investment makes Togekiss bulky on both sides, and any physical hit (besides Earthquake) is walled by Slash thanks to King's Shield. The Earthquake, of course, it walled by Togekiss.

I suspect that other people have come up with this core, but it makes me happy to know that I can crush teams with a posessed sword and a spotted fairy bird. :D

AegiKiss! YEAH!

Running Hydreigon at all in this Gen is pretty much suicide. That x4 fairy weakness is really gonna put a dent in it's relavence. Fairies will be roaming this meta game like mans business.
Tyranitar and his x4 fighting weakness in a fighting plagued metagame... Mmm...
Or Heatran and the least used move ever: Earthquake...
Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn were NU last generation... damn you, x4 fire weakness.
You get my drift...

If Hydreigon drops, I doubt is ONLY for that x4 fairy weakness (Fairies are WAAAAAAAY overrated, anyway).

By far, my favorite monster of Gen 6. This guy is as hilarious as he is effective. I slashed the Swag set, partly because as fun as SwagKi is, it's entirely luck based, and Draining Kiss, while weak, does recover good bits of health when it SE hits Dragons. This guy is mostly here for said Dragons, as well as to help slow down potential sweeps.
Good luck taking Fire Blasts and Earthquakes of said dragons... (you know, Dragon Pokémon never liked the steel...)

No offense ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking of an offensive "core" of a Blazeekin with speed boost, swords dance and baton pass. Then passing it to a Garchomp who i mega evolve and just destroy everything with. Any thoughts on a deffence core to go with it?

New cores? Mega Charizard Y and Venusaur. Seriously, they work so well together. They cover each other's weaknesses so well, and not only that, but Mega Charizard Y providing Sun for a Chlorophyll Venusaur... The chaos that ensues. The Kanto starters can be on the same team again, and it is wonderful.

Hey guys what do you think of my team so far i have a lead galvantula, greninja, mawile(mega), salemence, chandelure (infiltrator), and maybe (bulky) starmie, I'm not so so sure with my starmie yet I'm thinking of changing it to something specially defensive like togekiss or goodra or something

I know it's been said before, and it's not really my place to repeat it, but to those asking for advice on your cores please try to give us more than the Pokemon you're running. It's hard for us to help you without all the proper info, i.e. Natures, items, Abilities, EV spread, etc. etc.

I like this as a core
Azumarill@ Splash plate
Huge power
Adament 168HP/252Att/4Def/84Speed
Bellydrum
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Playrough

Ferrothorn@ leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
Relaxed 252HP/48Def/208SpDef
Leech seed/TWave
protect/Power whip/Bulldoze (For Magnezone on the switch)
Stealth rock
Gyro ball

Ferrothorn resists Poison, Electric and Grass attacks heading Azumarill's way, and sets up SR/TWave or LSeed. Then when the inevitable Fire/Fighting attack comes his way Azumarill switches in, sets up Belly drum and sweeps. They resist each other's weaknesses perfectly, only having neutral hits from Ground, Flying and Ghost to deal with.
Some problem pokemon would include Infernape and Charizard X with Thunderpunch, Charizard Y and Breloom, but it still looks pretty solid.

Last edited:
I was thinking of an offensive "core" of a Blazeekin with speed boost, swords dance and baton pass. Then passing it to a Garchomp who i mega evolve and just destroy everything with. Any thoughts on a defence core to go with it?
Ice Shard. So I'm thinking an Ice type or Steel type. Avalugg or Scizor?

Ice Shard. So I'm thinking an Ice type or Steel type. Avalugg or Scizor?
I have a ferrothorn. Personally i dont really want more physical pokemon since most of the ones on my team are right now. But maby scizor for taking care of the faries

Edit 1: Through testing it seems that mega garchomp dont really need that attack boost or speed since i have sticky web. Something that i Really need is a defensive core and a rapid spinner. Is there a topic more for team disussion? I get the feeling that this is slightly of topic. Essencially what Im looking for is something that pairs nicely with mega Garchomp. Something like a wall or two

Edit 2: After getting off a succesfull baton pass I can say it is very deadly

Last edited:
I've been thinking about what the coolest disguise for Zoroark would be, and I was thinking -- Gengar. Zoroark's big weaknesses are in fighting, bug, and fairy, all of which Gengar resist. Meanwhile, Gengar is weak to ghost and psychic, which have little effect on Zoroark.

Zoroark using Taunt, shadow ball, and dark pulse can make him really look like Gengar, since Gengar can learn these moves himself. It's really fun when your opponent lands the wrong move on Zoro, especially psychic!

For the moment, my favorite core is Shuckle, Mega Medicham and Volcarona supported with mons with mass burn or paralysis induction. I don't think extolling it as particularly great is wise- but it has quite a bit of play.

Zoroark using Taunt, shadow ball, and dark pulse can make him really look like Gengar, since Gengar can learn these moves himself. It's really fun when your opponent lands the wrong move on Zoro, especially psychic!
Assuming that the opponent is not a five year old, he'll easily figure out Illusion when a Gengar, a Ghost Type, uses Dark Pulse instead of Shadow Ball, which has the same offenses (Ghost and Psychic) anyway. Adding to this would be Team Preview.

Good luck taking Fire Blasts and Earthquakes of said dragons... (you know, Dragon Pokémon never liked the steel...)

No offense ;)
That's the beauty of prankster. Setup sub first then scout opponents movepool. EQ really can't get handled by this set, but you'd be surprised at the fireblast Klefki has survived through from the likes of Dragonite and Goodra.

i'm pretty new to the online battling, and i'm building my first core, i want to start with singles battles, 3v3, and then expand my core to six mons, right now i have a slowbro and m mawile , slowbro with oblivius and trick room, what could be a nice third addition?

Here's one I've come up with while at work overnight:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

It's kind of like an inner core with an outer shell. The inner core is the offensive combination of Zygarde and Kyurem-b. they have few common weaknesses and can check most of the ones they don't. To wit: Mamoswine can check Zygarde with Ice Shard, but Kyurem doesn't care about that one bit. Whereas Zygarde struggles against Skarmory, Kyurem-b fires off a Fusion Bolt and calls it a day (allegedly). Fighting and Steel priority such as Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Bullet Punch from Scizor are bad for Kyurem, but Zygarde can take those hits all day, every day. Zygarde also probably doesn't particularly care about Focus Blasts from Alakazam or Thundurus (although I don't know what the calcs are - how do you do that?). Finally, Togekiss and Azumarill can be a problem for Zygarde, but not for Kyurem as they both carry types that are weak to Fusion Bolt. So by my (admittedly limited) scope that looks good.

The outer shell supports the chewy center with entry hazards, Rapid Spin, revenge killing, and a Swords Dance-boosted STAB Earthquake to soften your opponents up with. My hazards of choice are Sticky Web and Stealth Rock. Sticky Web, I think, is important for any Zygarde team because with it up Zygarde and Kyurem's ostensibly sub-par base 95 speed are improved dramatically. Stealth Rock does what Stealth Rock does: softens up your opponents so that a later sweep is more likely to succeed. Sticky Web also helps Galvantula function as a revenge killer with 91% accurate Thunder. I came up with a max Speed of essentially 613 calculating the -1 to Speed from Web as a +1 for Galvantula. Did I do that right? Exadrill's Rapid Spin is essential to keep Kyurem and Zygarde healthy, as I'm not running any recovery on either of them, as well as not fall prey to parity by having Sticky Web on both sides of the field. Finally, Excadrill and Dance up and start firing off Earthquakes, as with Web support it can also reach a fairly impressive speed.

Galvantula can also mitigate the inner core's weakness to Dragon by firing Thunder at Dragonite, Salamence, and Noivern as well as Bug Buzz at Latias, Latios, and Hydreigon. It might be worth it to replace Thunder Wave with Ice Beam to add Garchomp, Goodra, Haxorus, Tyrantrum, and opposing Zygarde as well.

So that's my speculation. I don't know where to go from here. This will be the second time I've put together a good 4-mon core and then couldn't figure out where to go from there.

P.S. Thanks to yamborski for the Zygarde EV spread and Groomsomethingorother for the idea of using Kyurem-b with it.

Last edited:
Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
Loving the Kyu-B Zygarde combo. Personally, I'd run it with SpAtk or Mixed Aegislash. Aegi can take the Special attacks that Zygarde struggles with and that Kyu-B can't handle, like Focus Blasts from Alakazam, and it offers powerful its powerful STABs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)