Ghosts...

Basically, do you believe in ghosts, and other forms of paranormal activity?

If so, have you experienced any?

I, personally do, and I have experienced it several times. My grandparents house is definitely haunted. Their doors sometimes hold themselves shut, for no reason, you can hear arguing in the closet occasionally. I've also heard radios and TV's just turn on. One time in particular, I got super scared when I was trying to sleep and my sisters toy Barbie radio started playing this tape, it was the scariest Barbie song I've ever heard.

Other people who have stayed in the house have claimed to see actual apparitions, but I have not so far.

Just for whatevs, here's a cool video I found on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwjMIt6gM0
Many think it's actually real, I feel it's about 80% real, mostly due to the orb of light that flickers directly afterwards.

Yes, I do believe in ghosts, and I have experienced it before. In fact, there is a show on the scifi channel where people enter a haunted house, record all the crazy shit that happens, and then scientists find a logical explanation for everything that happened. They are able to give logical explanations for most of the things that happen, but a few times they have just been completely stumped.

I don't believe in it...though the house I'm living in is crazy. Like 5 people and a cat have experienced things from random vases breaking, chairs moving to threats in a male voice. Crazy.

I couldn't tell, majesty were you being sarcastic? Because everything you described could easily be caused in such a hectic. One of the 5 of you (or the cat) could have broken the vase, moved a chair, or tried to scare on of the other children by making threats... Logical explanations for each, but like I said, what gets people to believe in ghosts are things that can not be so easily explained.

Believe in ghosts? no, not me im more a man of science, although there are some wierd things that happen I do not for a second believe it is a spirit of the dead. The only thing that completely holds me off from saying its total bull is seeing someone in the Vanderbilt mansion that died a good 80 something years ago. apparently the tour guide has also seen this woman.

I do not believe in ghosts, and I do not believe that anything people see that seems abnormal is anything more than imagination.

In my other house (the house were i grow up), there was this kind of activity, saw lots of things as a kid.

The most frightening were voices and knocking on the window, they called my name and to go out and play... now that i remember about it i feel a bit disturbed again.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I kinda do believe in them. I hear voices in my head quite a bit sometimes, although I don't know if that's just me.

There's also the fact that I really do believe in angels. I just believe that there's not a logical answer for everything that happens in this world, and that there's not a logical explanation for everything that shows up.

Possibly, for me, ghosts and angels will show up in my dreams, and my dreams can be very eerie in the way that sometimes what happens in my dream actually does happen sometimes in my daily life, pretty much a day after I've had the dream...

Plus, there's gotta be something that changes my mood so dramatically sometimes. Seriously, I can be having the worst day ever and be pissed off at everything, but then I get this odd image in my head about an angel and then somehow I feel better.

I'm pretty sure angels would be defined as ghosts as well, but I'm not completely sure, because they aren't alive, but you can still kinda get the feeling that they're there.

Heh, what I said probably didn't make much sense, but oh well. :D

I believe in an afterlife and spirits. I think 99% of the stuff people attributes to ghosts is nonsense, but I do believe it's possible for us to have experiences from the other world. I don't think it's really what people think it is though.

All of these stories are pretty awesome.

Did anyone watch the video? What are your thoughts on that?

Usually, I would take logic over paranormal activity. Paranormal activity brings a deep pit to life's explanations; it claims that life is not unpredictable and malleable and there are those who have a definite answer to all its questions. However, there have been a few things that I have experienced which defy everything. I have met a fortune teller.

Yeah. I've told this to a couple people a few times, and all they've done is laugh; a fortune teller is merely some worthless con artist. And to some extent, it's true. I've to multiple fortune tellers, and the only things I've heard from them are bullshit. However, in one out of millions, there's been one especially unnerving one... he's predicted marriages, careers, personalities, and yes, even death. He's always been precise on the years. There was one instance when my mom's friend and her sister went to see the guy, and he said to both of them that they would die next year unless they take his advice and burn a scroll and sweep its ashes beneath their beds; my mom's friend, a paranoid person, did what he said. However, her sister did not.

Guess what? In 14 months, she was diagnosed with incurable cancer and died in December.

And now, if fortune tellers are real, why aren't ghosts?

It's pretty insane, and so far none of my friends have believed it (they're all atheists or Christians, go figure.) But ever since I've met him, I have gone really insane and look around me for ghosts at night.

I've never witnessed anything "paranormal" and I don't believe there are any paranormal events at all.

First, you have to be really careful about confirmation bias and placebo effect. It's easy to mistake accidents or statistically insignificant events for evidence of paranormal activities. The odds are great that once in your life you'll see something so fucked up that you'll think it is paranormal. That doesn't mean it is. Conversely, if you see X in a dream or somebody predicts X, you might unconsciously make it happen. But then it's the prediction that caused the event and not the event that caused the prediction.

When an event has you stumped, it's probably not because it is supernatural, but rather because you lack the foresight or imagination to think up a natural explanation for it. For instance, the electric activity in our brains can be detected from outside and probably represents a sort of signature that other brains could read. That would allow for a limited form of telepathy or empathy. It is probably not a sound theory (our own brain's activity would probably drown the signal), but it beats supernatural explanations...

Lastly, if there is anything "supernatural" going on, it has to interact with physical matter somehow. Whatever the means of interaction are, they can be discovered and exploited. This means that if ghosts exist it's just a matter of time until we can communicate with them efficiently and give them robotic bodies. If ghosts can slam doors, it's only a matter of time before we find out how they do it and reproduce the mechanism. If souls exist and really go to heaven, they have to be fed observations as input somehow, they have to tell the brain what to do somehow and they have to be able to know when a brain dies. By studying and understanding those mechanisms, it would be possible to engineer a device that fools the soul into believing it is in a human body, while in fact it is trapping it in a machine forever. See? Even the paranormal can't escape science and logic.

As for the video: what the hell was that? If I didn't know what I was supposed to see, I wouldn't even have seen anything.

I dont, but I still wouldnt take a walk in a graveyard alone at night.
This reminds me of a very funny story.

Okay, so basically it's like 3:00 AM, and there's a party going on. It's moved, for the most part, to the massive backyard, which happens to be connected to a cemetery (well, not connected, like there's a fence, but yeah). I forget exactly how it went down, but the party ended up being busted somehow. All I remember seeing is 3 bright flash lights and then a lot of yelling. Naturally, I fucking booked it. My friend and I, for one reason or another, decided we'd hop the fence into the cemetery.

Now, I'm not a very easily scared person, but graveyards at night are spooky no matter who you are. This, combined with the fact that there could be police on our trail translated into us running as fast as we can from one side of the cemetery to the other. When we got to the other side, we climbed over the fence. Now, on the other side of the street, directly opposite the cemetery fence is a bus stop. There was one person (I'd guess between 17 and 24) at this bus stop.

Now, it was dark and he couldn't see us clearly, but when you see two people climbing over the fence of a cemetery, are you going to be like:
"Oh, it must be some kids running from the po-po."
Or are you going to be like:
"Holy shit, the dead walk the earth."

This guy fucking booked it. I have never seen someone run so fast. We were literally crying with laughter for like 2 or 3 minutes.

i don't believe in paranormal activity and i doubt i ever will. people see what they want to see and will believe what they want to believe instead of thinking rationally.

Hahaha, Basics. That's grand.

Anyway, @Brain, take for instance the case where the radio turned on in the middle of the night. I can tell you that no one else was awake in the room besides myself, and I can also tell you that the stuff under the bed was in a secure position, so therefore couldn't have fallen or had something fall onto the play button. It just started playing. That wasn't me thinking that I heard it, or anything else. This has to be paranormal, as no other possible solution exists.

i guess i have to thank you for proving the point i was making. instead of rationally looking for an answer to something that is hard to explain you blindly jump to the conclusion that it HAS to be paranormal because you can't explain it. scientists can hardly explain quantum physics but we know they aren't part of the paranormal. its like closing your eyes and stepping on a tack but because you can't see the tack you blame some non- existing force for something that is easily explainable if you would just open your eyes.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I dont, but I still wouldnt take a walk in a graveyard alone at night.
I'm one of those people that say they don't believe in ghosts or anything but I do freak myself out pretty easily. There's always that thought in the back of my mind that it might in fact be real. One of my close friends used to live in a house she thought was haunted and would tell me about faint music and noise coming from this one room and the door randomly slamming shut or opening. Now the logical part of me writes this off to a number of things like perceived noise on the listener's part because they hear what they want to expect or that there's a draft in the house that moves the door once in a while. Still, I can never shake the feeling that when things like that happen to anyone that it just might not be the imagination running away with the mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)