Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Gen 7 pokemon with the exception of Vikavolt and what I hope is the final grass starter look bloody awful so far. Terrible designs although the fire dragon is a step in the right direction. It's like gamefreak is emptying it's reject basket. I didn't think anything could look crappier than Vanilluxe. With the reveal of the sand castle mon, I was wrong. Lot's of other cutesy/fancy looking mons. Where's the badass pokemon? Where's haxorus, bisharp, mienshao, conkeldurr, terrakion, landorus-t and genies, machamp, arcanine, nido's, aiegis, talonflame, pangoro, scizor, mega's in general and way too many other cool mons to list. Where are those gamefreak? Looks like their targeting even younger children this gen. Huge let down so far.
Most of the mons you mentioned are late game mons, especially Haxorus, Terrakion, Lando-T, etc. I would also say that most of the revealed mons are first or second stage mons, so the Talonflame and Aegislash types probably wouldn't have been revealed anyways. Those mons, early stage ones, also tend to be of the cutemons variety, Nidoran Pancham Fletchling Axew etc probably wouldn't fit you standards for "badass" if I had to guess. No Megas have been revealed period and where it's not a spotlight mechanic this gen it's probably gonna be sparsely revealed before the release if at all. I'm also guessing the marketing strategy probably reveals the most common Pokemon first, rather than the obscure or hard to get to ones, because those are supposed to be surprises or secrets or something.

Bottom line, patience.

Happy Hour Meowth has been confirmed as a distribution event on Serebii, which was predicted in a leak posted on Pokejungle here: http://pokejungle.net/2016/08/13/rumor-new-pokemon-sun-moon-information-leaked/

This gives credibility to the following rumours:
  • Alola is made up of 4 islands, Melemele, Poni, Ula’Ula, and Akala.
  • Post game has 4 “Island Districts” that aren’t viewable on the map. Ekahi Island, Elua Island, Ekolu Island, and Kalola Island.
  • Kalos is not available post-game, but Hoomaka Cave on Kalola Island holds a huge easter egg I believe. Deep inside there is a dark entrance guarded by a backpacker that states the railroad is closed for now and only a Pokémon that emits a special light can ignite the way to the other side. No Pokémon in your party will allow you to enter for now.
  • Rockruff has 3 evolutions similar to Eevee in RBY. All of them require learning “Howl”.
  • Salandit has a split evolution line at level 36, one for Male and one for Female.
  • There are 16 Z-Stones, 18 total, with a Trial Captain for 16 of the types. Guzma and Plumeria are holders of the missing Dark and Poison Z-Stones.
  • Some Pokémon can change shape/stats after they perform a Z-Move. These include Greninja (Rainbow), Solgaleo (Radiant), Lunala (Full Moon), Marshadow (Eclipse), Espeon (Dawn), and Umbreon (Dusk).
  • All 47 Mega Stones are accessible on the island districts. There aren’t any new Mega Evolutions.
  • There are a total of 128 new Pokémon and 23 Alolan forms. These Alolan forms are all Gen 1 exclusive Pokémon.
  • Alolan form Pokémon that are capable of Mega Evolving can do so, Alakazam and Kangaskahn are among these.
  • Marshadow, an extremely gorgeous dolphin, has a jewel on its head that emit sparkles so bright, that its seen as the emissary of light. It’s stats are pretty underwhelming, but it has a cool ability that allows it to have any Psychic type combination. The second type is random every time it enters the battle field. Even switching out causes it to change.
  • The Strange Souvenir item in XY depicts a Ghost/Rock Pokémon from Alola named Gigareki. It’s a giant tiki (different from the Tapu lines) that has an amazing laughing animation when you battle with it. It is said to be the oldest living Pokémon, and seen as a “Teacher” in many ways.
  • The NX will be a dual handheld/console set for release next year. Sept 2017 there will be a parent game that features both regions of XYSM exclusive to this console.
  • Rainbow Greninja will be revealed by TPC on Aug 21.
  • Alolan Alakazam family are fighting type. Alolan Alakazam can mega evolve, keeps the fighting type, and gains No Guard.
  • Yes. The Z-Bracelet is a key item in your backpack. Selecting it allows you to place 1 mega stone and 1 z stone inside of it. This allows for more crazy strategies because your Mega Pokémon can now hold items like Rayquaza due to this.
  • The first district you’re taken too has a slightly upgraded Battle Maison. One of the districts has a Lugia/Ho-Oh depending on your version.
  • All Champions from previous games are able to battled on the S.S. Anne while they’re bored. The S.S. Anne brings you to the districts.
  • Rainbow Greninja is technically Ash Greninja but with a name change. It will be revealed in the closing ceremony at World’s 2016.
  • Meowth that knows “Happy Hour” and OT Alola will be distributed at World’s. Cherish Ball.
  • If you add 128 to our existing 721 roster, that means Generation 8 will only need to introduce 151 Pokemon (like a reboot) to bring our total count to 1000.

MOD EDIT: The "leak" has been confirmed fake by Zowayix (well done!). Please refrain from further discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The Strange Souvenir item in XY depicts a Ghost/Rock Pokémon from Alola named Gigareki.
Nope. The Gigareki trademark was already confirmed to have nothing to do with Nintendo.

From past exposures, I can trust image leaks to some extent when they get backed up by future reveals, but not text leaks. It's certainly possible that a portion of the information is real, but it's also way too easy to mix in false statements and there's no way to tell which is which.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, I deleted a few posts talking about the "leak" Marzbar posted above. Good job catching the Gigareki slip-up, those who did. I decided to keep the post so it's not posted again, as well as the debunk Zowayix posted. Let us just declare it buried and move on.

Once again, this proves that text leaks are extremely easy to create, and spread easily if they manage to land a lucky guess. For those reasons, they are very popular, leading to a great number of fakes being created. Just try to resist the temptation to spread them if you should come across one, and if you really want to post them, ask us mods first.

Dang, I was hoping for an image. But still, this is very interesting. So if this is true, then we can finally lay that damn "no new megas" argument to rest. Even if it's just Magearna, it's still something.
So I guess I'm the only one not entirely excited about the return of Megas then? Alola forms seems like a way better and more interesting alternative Megas but ofc that's just me. It's just such a great way to introduce variety in pokemon without making it overly complicated and temporarily overpowered.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I guess I'm the only one not entirely excited about the return of Megas then? Alola forms seems like a way better and more interesting alternative Megas but ofc that's just me. It's just such a great way to introduce variety in pokemon without making it overly complicated and temporarily overpowered.
What if they give a Pokemon who has an Alolan Form a Mega and reveal the Alolan has a different Mega form than from the normal, an Alolan Mega Form?

I wonder If they'll ever retcon the whole "1 stone per mega" for a general mega-stone for all pokemon or if we'll be stuck with more and more ítems every game
at this point we need a mega pouch

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I wonder If they'll ever retcon the whole "1 stone per mega" for a general mega-stone for all pokemon or if we'll be stuck with more and more ítems every game
at this point we need a mega pouch
It's a necessary evil due to Charizard and Mewtwo having two Mega Evos (and thus possibly future Pokemon to be given multiple Mega Evos).

Mega Magearna seems like a very weird choice for a pokemon to be given a Mega. Shouldn't it have appeared in the recent Pokemon movie to assist promoting the games and build up hype (which is the main purpose of the Pokemon movies in the first place). Diancie had its Mega Evolution shown in its movie so its very weird for Magearna not to have its mega form shown off.

I'm pretty sure that the anime team is given little information about new pokemon, even for movies; see no mega Mewtwo X (or mega evolutions) in the Genesect movie

http://pokejungle.net/2016/08/21/mega-magearna-leaked-japanese-pokemon-site/

Hello there.

Can anybody confirm this before TPCi finds out and decides to cover their tracks?
Looking at it: The section they have Magearna in is titled "mega". The other Pokemon are grouped into similar titled sections: The starters are in one titled "partners", the legendaries are in one title (of course) "Legendary", Tapu koko is in "Guardian Angel" then you have "new" "Regional" and "Founded"

Note: The "Founded" section is the bottom one with Dragonite, Spearow, ect. I'm guessing they may actually be non-Alola Form Pokemon from previous gens that appear in Alola.

EDIT: The japanese text on that line doesn't really seem to reveal much: 'Category Navi', 'picture book', 'Phantom of the Pokemon' is what google translate seems to say, so it's nothing really special. Actually, the similar text for the other divisions say "guardian angel" for Tapu koko and "Legendary Pokemon" for the legendaries... I wonder what the "Phantom of the Pokemon" bit means then? (EDIT: Google translate is silly. Phantom Pokemon instead of Phantom of the Pokemon. This isn't a Musical.)

EDIT2: It's the text above Magearna on the page. Is there something from the movie relating to Magearna in that manner?

Final Edit: Phantom Pokemon are the Mythical ones like Mew and Keldeo. So... Nothing Special. I am really curious as to why the div is named Mega now, though, since the term used is Maboroshi. (As evidenced by Magearna's page being "Maboroshi_01")

Last edited:
So, at least three more Pokemon will get Strong Jaw in Pokemon Sun/Moon but if nothing changes the best abuser will still be Mega-Sharpedo.
The problem is that there are only six biting moves in five types and most are rather weak, trading power for the chance of secondary effects.
Furthermore, Sharpedo is the only Strong Jaw Pokemon that also gets STAB on a biting move and it's the strongest one, Crunch.

The other Strong Jaw Pokemon so far are the Tyrunt and Yungoose lines along with Bruxish.
None of these get STAB on any biting move and it's hard to imagine Bruxish even getting much beyond perhaps Bite/Crunch and (maybe) Ice Fang.
So I've been wondering whether we'll being seeing new moves of this type esp. for Bruxish whose teeth are such a prominent aspect of the design.
You can never be sure with GF but it would make sense to give Bruxish a water-typed Crunch to abuse its ability while fitting its toothy design.
Then there's the chance other Pokemon, like Sharpedo, could get it but I'm getting way ahead of myself...lol

EDIT: Blame ryan's picture of Bruxish for this tangent lol :P

It's a necessary evil due to Charizard and Mewtwo having two Mega Evos (and thus possibly future Pokemon to be given multiple Mega Evos).
Strictly speaking, they're not 100% stuck. If physically biased Fire/Dragon Alolan Charizard and Psychic/Fighting Alolan Mewtwo showed up, a single stone would work perfectly well. Mega Charizard X becomes Alolan Mega Charizard, while Mega Charizard Y becomes classic Mega Charizard, and ditto for Mewtwo. I'm not saying this is going to happen (I'd consider the Mewtwo option particularly tenuous, since I can't see how they'd justify an Alolan Mewtwo), but it is possible for them to eliminate the need for distinct stones to control the separate Mega forms.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Strictly speaking, they're not 100% stuck. If physically biased Fire/Dragon Alolan Charizard and Psychic/Fighting Alolan Mewtwo showed up, a single stone would work perfectly well. Mega Charizard X becomes Alolan Mega Charizard, while Mega Charizard Y becomes classic Mega Charizard, and ditto for Mewtwo. I'm not saying this is going to happen (I'd consider the Mewtwo option particularly tenuous, since I can't see how they'd justify an Alolan Mewtwo), but it is possible for them to eliminate the need for distinct stones to control the separate Mega forms.
I don't think they'd do that as they would make normal Charizards and Mewtwos who were trained to be their Mega X versions now worthless.

Well I'm doubtful of mega evolutions since (anime spoilers)
Charizard freaking winning that league seems to be their final send off.
I know it's just the anime but it seems to be a hint. It seems like the surprise which was equivalent to the mega evolutions this gen is the alola forms. It hit around the same time, too! However if this leak is true then I hope they don't wastefully spent it and give it to Pokemon like Audino and actually remember that Pokemon can just evolve to get buffs too....

Ok so the closing cerimony will have sun and moon news. Is that EST or PSt?

Now Why do people still think they are removing megas? it was too big in the game and popular to just remove. Plus it made some pokemon viable once more.

And you know how many figures and plushies and other merchantise they made of megas? No way they are removing them and thus having those toys fall off.

If its a balance reason, they can just retweek the stats of some of the more broken pokemon.

Well I'm doubtful of mega evolutions since (anime spoilers)
Charizard freaking winning that league seems to be their final send off.
I know it's just the anime but it seems to be a hint.
This is the literal definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel. Please stop assuming every new piece of information - a powerful new Gen 6 form of a popular Pokémon won the Gen 6 league instead of ash. Shock! Horror! - somehow hints at them scrapping Megas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)