Gallade as Anti-Starter?

As I've seen all around, it seems as if Weavile is the most popular starter there is. As such, how would a Gallade fare as a starter? Weavile would most certainly run from it, allowing Gallade a free turn. Which he can then use to Hypnose/Thunder Wave/Will o Wisp anything coming in (Likely, a Dragon will come in on him). If Gallade carries Ice Punch, he can do quite a number on Salamence and friends, even after Intimidate considering his respectable base ATK. With Thunderpunch to boot, any Intimidater that will dare coming in on him will be in for a rude awakening.

As such, Gallade seems almost perfect as a counter starter. While its true that it doesn't really have great speed or anything, it has the power and versatility to hurt/scare the common starts (That also includes Gengar btw, think psycho cut) and disable anything that comes in. What are your thoughts on starting Gallade?

Wouldn't Weavile outspeed it and OHKO it with Night Slash?

I know it's normal effective on Gallade, but still, I think it'd over power it.

he probably could make a decent starter if he is holding a choice band or choice scarf...he definitely has the move pool. i'd say leaf blade/close combat/stone edge/psycho cut or night slash. weavile would NOT stay in because it won't OHKO and it will fear a Choice Banded fighting-type move. Stone Edge would be useful for any gyarados being used as a lead as well as many fliers. it really depends on what you want to do, Gallade's movepool is wide, so you can mix and match to fit your needs. btw he does not learn the elemental punches in DP unless you are using a Kirlia that learned it via Emerald move-tutor.

agreeing with ZT though since Medicham is a LOT stronger, thanks to Pure Power.

Gallade could make an anti-starter, but in terms of hitting counters hard, Choice Scarfed Medicham can sweep much better. With a little prediction, it has the ability to cause havoc.

- Hi Jump Kick for TTar/Weavile.
- Psycho Cut for Gengar.
- Thunderpunch for Gyarados.
- Ice Punch for Salamence.
Medicham doesn't have 110 SDef. Also it lacks the movepool of Gallade. But honestly, besides the somewhat effective options Gallade has, Medicham is superior.

I'm mainly thinking about the fact that Gallade needs less prediction to work. He can go for a Hypnosis/Thunder Wave if you're not sure about your prediction, but he can also immediately attack if your prediction is right. Medicham is less...variable, so to speak, despite the fact that in the attacking department Medicham IS the better choice.

Weavile needs a critical hit or Adamant+Choice Band to OHKO assuming Gallade is 0 HP, 0 Defense.
But by that logic Medicham is superior since it has better defenses on the physical side. That and I think Weaville's Ice Punch does more damage than Night Slash without the crit.

Also Medicham can pretty much 2 round KO Weaville before it even gets a move off using Fake Out + Bullet Punch assuming its +atk, it'd be nicer if it had Mach Punch though.

Problem with Gallade is that it is just too slow to be starting when it can be making better impact mid game.

Sure, Medicham would be effective as a Weavile counter, but assuming the lead pokemon isn't a Weavile but is still a fast pokemon, Medicham is screwed. It needs a Choice Scarf to make it fast enough to outspeed common leads, which means it has to switch out frequently. If you don't give it a Choice Scarf, it doesn't have the defenses to take a super-effective or critical hit.

I'm not sure though, Aerial Ace seems like a waste of moveslot when you could use Pursuit. But then again, it could be better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)