Free MMOs

Haha, no.

I don't think TF2 will run very well on your computer Obssessed =( You could try this web app which will tell you more: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx

If you get some friends to grab it too, Borderlands could be a good choice on PS3.
I wish. All my friends are 360 fanboys.

And well that link is incredibly useful. Thanks for it.

I pass all the minimum requirements.

I even pass all the recommended stuff except for:

Hardware T&L
Vertex Shader version

Maybe it would be worth a go. After all with that deal I get it for a really low price.

waiting for mass effect 2 to come out and very bored on weekdays because my job doesn't give me enough hours I downloaded my first free MMORPG in like four years and its called Dungeon Fighters.

It was a really neat game, it's basically a deep action game that's sort of 2d and has deep combos. You choose from like five characters and choose they're weapon and job advancement. The fact that once you grind it's not that bad because of the fun combat and really easy party management, and that each job played completely different (one job has you up close with these spirit things following you and buffing you as you do combos, another has you doing long range combos). Also the main thing of the game is the PVP which is pretty good in balancing the matches stat wise so its ALL skill based.

So yeah I only played it for a little ( mass effect 2 came out months ago) like up to lvl 25 but I enjoyed it which is different from what I hear of a lot of different games

Any MMO is awesome when you're doing it with friends. You bunch may want to gather up and join a MMO as a group.

See: Smogon RO team, server hopping for maybe a year. It was great fun.

waiting for mass effect 2 to come out and very bored on weekdays because my job doesn't give me enough hours I downloaded my first free MMORPG in like four years and its called Dungeon Fighters.

It was a really neat game, it's basically a deep action game that's sort of 2d and has deep combos. You choose from like five characters and choose they're weapon and job advancement. The fact that once you grind it's not that bad because of the fun combat and really easy party management, and that each job played completely different (one job has you up close with these spirit things following you and buffing you as you do combos, another has you doing long range combos). Also the main thing of the game is the PVP which is pretty good in balancing the matches stat wise so its ALL skill based.
It... actually sounds very interesting. It's worth a download. And since it is from Nexon I can assume that the things you pay for don't really give you that big an edge.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wish. All my friends are 360 fanboys.

And well that link is incredibly useful. Thanks for it.

I pass all the minimum requirements.

I even pass all the recommended stuff except for:

Hardware T&L
Vertex Shader version

Maybe it would be worth a go. After all with that deal I get it for a really low price.
For the second game with the coupon, they have Dead Space and Brutal Legend on PS3 for only $20 so I'd grab one of those.

I played Guild wars solid for a year, its great. However, if you want free, a few of my friends play conquer...haven't played it myself, but they REALLY enjoy it.

Guild wars used to be very good, but it's been going downhill for quite the while now. The 'economy' was thrown completely out of whack by a few events, the game is becoming more grind centred with each update and the playerbase just isn't great anymore (at least from what I've seen in the europe english distracts). The storyline got sillier in the expansions too.

Guild Wars 2 is in devolopment though and it looks amazing. I'd definitely keep an eye on it if you want a great free MMO.
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

The best F2P MMORPG out there is Dungeons and Dragons Online. By far. Yeah, yeah, you have to pay for most of the later dungeons, but playing through 1 character to lvl 8 or so on each server is enough to get you 2-3 dungeons that when played through on those characters get you enough to buy a few more. Only buying when stuff is on sale gives you even more of an advantage.

It's fun because almost everything is soloable at a high level of skill, but grouping is still fun and easy.

The downsides: no real PvP, endgame caps out reeeal fast. But I mean, it's completely Free to Play, so it kinda balances out.

A few MMORPGs to avoid:

Runes of Magic - shit WoW knockoff

Atlantica Online - fun premise at first, strategic grid combat in an MMO, but it's ridiculously grindtastic.

World of Warcraft - fun only if you have a group of friends going in, if not, don't bother and don't even bother trying to get to high level play in PvP as it's imbalanced as fuck anyway. I still bear no shame in saying it is STILL the Best MMORPG out there right now, it's fanbase and rigid structure benefiting only the truly hardcore are the only faults.

Lord of the Rings Online - Their version of PvP is even more ridiculously imbalanced, feels like an inferior WoW otherwise. Tries to focus on story but there really isn't any true depth and they're hamstrung by the established lore.

Shaiya - Everquest knockoff, PvP imbalanced as hell, classes extremely simple which is good for noobs, but not for decent level play.

For MMO competitive games, eh, League of Legends is fun too. It's like DotA if you ever played that...

Its not free per-say, there is no monthly fee but you have to pay for actual game, but you could try Guild Wars 2. I used to play the original Guild Wars for hours on end, its really fun once you get to the low level cap of 20 (saves you days and lives worth of grinding). I think in GW2 they are going to expand the cap (boo) and do some some other mechanical changes you won't recognize unless you played the first games. DON'T BUY THE FIRST GAMES THOUGH. I logged on the other day, and shits dead, it won't give you a good representation. They have a free trial for the originals if you wanna do that though. PVP is pretty fun too, but I've heard its not as good as WoW, but idk.[/salesman] (I will buying this when I get bored of competitive pokemon in the next few weeks when I finally realize I cannot make a team without Scizor and NewMixMence)

I've heard mixed things about LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) basically, its fun if you think you're a hobbit IRL, otherwise, just buy WoW.

I'm sure you know all about WoW, so I won't even expand on that.

All those other games like Envoy and shit that you see spammed on every game site/wiki you ever log onto idk about, look p dumb to me.

Runes of Magic I tried for 10 minutes and said to myself: wow its like someone combined the shitty aspects of runescape with a half-assed WoW copy and decided to market it.

Saved Runescape for last: I used to play this and its p fun for like 10 minutes. Then you realize: wow pokemon has better graphics and less permavirgins running around asking me to cyber. I wouldn't really reccomend it unless you used to play it and just want to go for nostalgia value. Player versus Player in it is shit, actually that might give it credit. Not worth it.

well, I've played quite a lot of MMOs, and I tend to avoid MMORPGs due to the system called "leveling" as they lead to grinding, and that leads to boredom. (yea I played MS for like 2 weeks and I said to myself "holy shit they should name this Grinding Story")

I myself prefer something more casual, a MMOFPS or an Action MMO. You don't need lots of time to get started and nearly all of them are free.

I'd recommend GetAmped 2. Fast gameplay and ridiculously funny characters got me hooked instantly. Lots of weapon varieties ranging from the classic swords to futuristic lightsabers and beamguns. And the best feature of all? Unlimited character customization using the skin system where you can essentially reshape and repaint your character into your liking. There are lots of pokemon skins that you can find on the internet. It's currently still closed in preparation for open beta though...

EDIT : TF2, of course. GRAB IT! DEFINITELY A MUST HAVE!

Any MMO is awesome when you're doing it with friends. You bunch may want to gather up and join a MMO as a group.

See: Smogon RO team, server hopping for maybe a year. It was great fun.
Haha I remember when Smogon had a RO server.

Well, I have the perfect game for you! (Assuming you dig a kick ass pvp game).

It's called Windslayer. Very similar to Maple Story.

Here are the details...

If you are not into PvP... then don't bother reading the rest. PvP is the core of this game.

You can PvP at level 10 in standard fights. (Or fight with your Novices, which is popular actually).

How could a lvl 10 fight against a lvl 99 and win? 2 reasons, this game is based on skill. And the common (there are others) battle mode that people fight in levels off everyone to the same level of 49.

Teamwork is relevant in this game. Or you can solo it out.

Everything else sucks. Bad Quests and the game is somewhat glitchy, but I suppose Leveling isn't terrible.

99 is Max level however lvl 49 is as high as you really need to go.

6 Base Classes
Monk
Warrior
Rogue
Priest
Mage
Archer

12 2nd Classes - I'll bold the class that I recommend...
For example, a Warrior can become a Beserker or Paladin.
Rogues-> Assassins or Trappers
Monk-> Counter or Shaolin
Priest-> Dark Priest or Bishop
Archer-> Beast Master or Sniper
Mage-> Elementalist or Summoner
===
Hover around pvp games to see what class you'd want to become.

To give a summary of leveling; in a 1-1.5 hours you can be level 10 and have your first class change. 1-2 days you can be level 30 which is 2nd class change. In less than a week you can be at 49 (which is the final second class skill).

Have any more questions just ask.

Or if anyone dives into the game let me know and I'll attempt to help yeah out.

I'd give the game 4/5 because it easily becomes addictive and PvP is completely unique. For comparison to other games, Guildwars would be a 4/5 and Diablo 2 would be 5/5.

Well if you like browser based MMOs, maybe try Dead Frontier. In it, you kill zombies and loot money, food, weapons...It's pretty addicting and will soon have a 3d version. (it's top down at the moment)

A couple that hasn't been mentioned:

Guild Wars: Never played, but is free to play, just have to buy the games.
Diablo 2: Again, just buy'n'play. If you are into hack'n'slash, you will be hooked. I had never played when I got this game, and was hooked for 1.5 years straight. And there are still thousands of players who play this game, so the social aspect is there. Should be cheap too: In Norway, the pack with Classic+expansion costs about 250 NOK, which is about 25 euros (don't know about US or other countries).
I second both of these. Even though I don't play Guild Wars much anymore it had me hooked for a while. I have all of them though and if you want the full experience you're gonna want to at least get the trilogy, but even by itself the original (Prophecies) is really nice.

Diablo 2 is probably my favorite game. I play it off and on ever since it was released. You should be able to get the game and the expansion for really cheap nowadays, and they're working on D3 right now as well.

Diablo II is definitely addicting. Leveling up isn't too difficult, the equipment customization is pretty fun and flexible, and there's a lot of replay value for the higher difficulties.
I found my copy for $2.50 at Goodwill :)

Diablo II is definitely addicting. Leveling up isn't too difficult, the equipment customization is pretty fun and flexible, and there's a lot of replay value for the higher difficulties.
I found my copy for $2.50 at Goodwill :)
Adding to that, it takes maybe a day or 2 maximum if you play alot to reach the 80s, which is pretty much high enough for casual playing. Only reason you might want to get to 99 is for having one, since it gives no special benefits, and requires INSANE grinding (we talk about WEEKS of grinding here). Also, Nestle, if you were thinking about ubertrist, it was nerfed and don't work anymore (a small trick that enabled getting to mid-late 80s in couple of hours or so, with preparing).

Also it was recently patched quite alot, so there is probably quite many old players who want to test out; with the ladder-reset there should be plenty of people to play with.

I don't know about after Level 60, since I got bored at that point. Didn't take long to reach 60, though. (I was there halfway through Nightmare Mode, which is unlocked after beating the game once.)

www.synthetic-reality.com

Well Of Souls was one of the first PVP MMO [acronym] games I played. My dad even got into it. It's completely customisable, and you can make your own maps/quests for it. I don't know if the servers are still active, because it's pretty old but I really enjoyed it and there were always loads of people playing when I did. I might play it once more now that I've found it again !

i play kingdom of loathing, browser, text based mmorpg. i dont play it as much for the game, but for the community and hilarious content. it's basically a parody of many RPGs loaded with pop culture references, it's really great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)