ORAS OU First Team - Hyper O I guess? 1597 Peak (so far)

Aight y'all, like the title says, this is my first time posting a team.

I'll be 100 here, most of this team is not mine. I think I took 5/6 or 4/6 from another thread forever ago, but for the life of me I can't find the thread or remember the poster, so all apologies there. The original team was built around Breloom + Mega Gyarados core, I remember that - though it no longer has the Breloom. Anyway, here it is.

Bullet (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Waterfall

As I said, Mega-G here was one of the cores around which the OP built their team. It's a pretty fun set-up set, classic sub-dance, with crunch instead of earthquake for STAB purposes (and I think originally coverage). I've been considering switching to EQ, but I'm undecided. Sub is great for predicting switches or status/stall attempts; sub on wisp then set up as your opponent's tears fall.

Low Key (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Next up is Weavile. Originally, this was Breloom's spot on the team, but apparently I suck at using Breloom. Weavile is just so strong in the meta, with STAB knockoff and priority, plus few and far between are the 'mons who want to switch into an Icicle Crash. Low kick for coverage. I've mostly been using Weavile to force switches, use knock off to predict dangerous switch-ins, and just wear down enemy teams in general. Big damage, much hurt.

Win Con (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

MY MAIN MAN. He truly lives up to his name. My current strategy primarily revolves around using the previous two 'mons to do heavy damage to enemy teams, maybe taking out a threat or two, and then bringing in Win Con here to clean up™. I wasn't sure about acrobatics/no item instead of bravebird at first, but it actually gives a moderately safe switch in to predictable knock offs. 'Wisp is really nice for predicting physical switch-ins. If you get a SD up, and most the enemy team is 50% or below, you're usually in a good spot. I try not to use Talonflame at all until I know I can win with him (or get close enough to win with another).

Tryhard.jpg (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

What's an OU team without Latias/Latios? A defogger is 100% necessary for this team, with weavile, gyarados (pre-mega), and especially talonflame weak to rocks. Keldeo counters are always welcome, as well. Draco just hits everything hard, even steel types for at least noticeable damage. Recover helps keep Latias alive, and psyshock rounds out the set for coverage/STAB.

Stickers (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Jirachi is a decent lead with U-Turn priority, and Serene Grace hax can be suuuuper clutch at times, especially with Iron Head STAB. Healing wish is a great way to make up for this team's weakness to rocks and residual damage. It's a decent pivot all in all, a jack-of-all-trades sort of 'mon.

whump (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Defensive 'Chomp brings up the rear. TBH I don't remember the significance of the 104 speed EVs, but they have come in handy. Great switch in for fake outs, bullet/mach punch, etc. Rocks are nice to have up, although I don't find them absolutely necessary; that said, I still set them up when I can, as they help pave the way for Win Con. Dragon Tail is a useful phaser for setups/stalls; fireblast for coverage on ferro and the like.

WEAKNESSES

A pretty glaring weakness of this team is in handling Rotom-W. The only 2 real switch-ins for will-o-wisp are latias and talonflame. Even if you predict 'wisp and send in talonflame correctly, what then? You have to switch out again, without a real answer.

This team seems to encourage switching in to latias/jirachi a lot to take attacks, pivot, support, etc which leaves a big opening for pursuit uses in general. Ttar is the biggest of these threats, as no one on this team has leftovers and the damage dealers don't like sitting in sand too long. Sand teams in general also seem to do well against this team. Ttar combines the two in to a big threat.

Fairy type isn't HUGELY scary to this team, but it can do some damage. Defensive Clefable is a pretty safe switch in to latias/garchomp, and jolly/scarf jirachi doesn't do quite enough damage with iron head to beat out soft-boiled spam if you get unlucky with serene grace. Plus, once you're locked into iron head, your opponent will have an easier time switching in to jirachi and forcing your own hard switch.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I think I need some grass coverage somewhere, even a 'mon swap or two, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. Ferro instad of garchomp is my current thought, but I'd love to hear other ideas.

As I mentioned above, there are no leftovers on this team, and not a ton of recovery - hazard/status/whittle damage is permanent, more often than not, which complicates stall breaking and setting up. This is another reason I thought of using ferro - for its leech seed.

I hope I've done this thread correctly - please tell me what you think!

Importable:
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Waterfall

Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Tryhard.jpg (Latias) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

whump (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Win Con (Talonflame)
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hey man, nice team and welcome to Smogon.

The threats are shown in the list are controllable in my opinion. Please note if you want to add Azumarrill, your biggest threat is seeing your team thoroughly. Any version of this can open wounds. It is also controllable, you possess that can top Latias if touched, the priority of Talonflame is a viable option. Garchomp defensively speaking can wear with your ability + item pulling Earthquake. Well, I'm not branch out much further. My solution would be to focus on another mega. That is to say; Venusaur-Mega
>
Mega-Gyarados. Thus the presence of Azumarrill and other threats such as the issue disappear. In principle you will cover almost everything. Maybe some Pokemon Charizard-X as hurt a little but you can handle it. You must fear the DD otherwise. If you allow me, I leave here the set I like to MVenusaur and your team fits perfectly.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Good luck. I love this team.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi, pretty interesting build, mega Gyara + Talonflame works really well, despite the whole team seems pretty solid, having a healing wisher to support the sweep of your sweepers, and a solid win conditions, which put pressure on the opponent team; having made more accurate analysis of the team's weaknesses, I noticed that it struggles to deal with defensive cores such as Mega Sableye+ Skarmory , which easily wear out your team, especially Skarmory, which is a pokemon difficult to knock out all your team; Another threat to watch for is Choice Band Azumarill , Azumarill is a powerful Wallbreaker that succeeds thanks to its high attack and good movepool to safely delete your team to eliminate this threat, you should take measures, for example the revenge kill by talonflame, or taking advantage from hazards + indirect damages (rought skin + rocky helmet) to weaken it and make it less dangerous. I find some also diffcult to face teams like Mega Venusaur + sand, they can put pressure on your unique checks Mega Venusaur (talonflame and Latias); Another hard threat to knock out is Mega Slowbro , despite having MGyara and Weavile , mega slowbro can become problematic, the mega Slowbro builds usually have a fight-type to counteract dark spam etc .. so your team can be put under pressure by these pokemon, such as Specs Keldeo, you only having Latias to control it can be difficult to hold the match against this kind of match up. My rate will help to alleviate these threats, trying to make this even more competitive team.

At first, having noticed some flaws against the fairies special, like Will-o-Wisp MGardevoir, which easily Jirachi, and also weakens the lack of a stallbreaker role, I would suggest to use SpD talonflame, Spd talonflame It is a great stallbreaker that thanks to evs in spd can take many special shots, as h.voice mega Gardevoir, is also an excellent check of Bisharp and Weavile, that not having item takes little damage from stab Knock off, also I would put some evs in Spe them out to overcome and then burn before Sand rush Excadrill without sand, Also is a good counter to mega Scizor, which is a huge threat for Mega Gyara+ Weavile; another good option is to run Bulk Up> SD, Bulk up is a great move, allows Talonflame to check better fat grounds as Landorus-t, Hippo, tankchomp, Bulk up can help your team to deal with Psyschock from mega Garde boosting Talon's defense, finally, this set is very helpful to deal with mega Sableye.

mega Gyarados is excellent pokemon, but has problems with Skarmory, Amoonguss, these can use whirlwind and spores respectively against him, lucky for having Substitute can avoid Spore, but not avoid WW, so I'd suggest to use Taunt>Substitute, Taunt not only helps you to prevent WW or Roar, but also an offensive utility, preventing most defensive Pokemon to heal, for example Skarmory, Quagsire, Alomomola, Mega Sableye, Clefable and mega Slowbro, this replacement increases your match up against stall builds and against balance teams; Another option is to run Earthquake as 4th move slot, it helps to deal better with Rotom-w, it can make a good neutral damage a Azumarill.

Finally, I would suggest to change Weavile's Low kick using Poison jab, Poison jab is a good countermeasure to beat Azumarill, MegaGardevoir and Clefable, I chose to remove Low kick, because I added a better check for Bisharp (defensive Talonflame) and then because the team was already present Tankchomp. Talking about jirachi Scarf, I think Ice punch is redundant, since you Weavile and Gyara for hard hitting bulky ground as Landorus and Garchomp, then I'd suggest you to use Heart stamp, this move helps Jirachi to deal better with Keldeo, Breloom, Mega Venusaur, mega Lopunny etc..

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance/ Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Icicle Crash

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Hope I've helped you, Gl with your team, if you have any question, just pm me :toast:

Thanks a bunch, King Sun - I'll definitely give some of those a try!

Ha In Kang: Thank you as well, but I'm trying to stick with gyarados right now. Ii'll keep your recs in mind for later teams!

Reactions: Sun
yo TruthOrDairy this is an interesting squad and i think mega gyara can do some work in this current metagame. before i start with the threats, though, it makes it easier for people to rate your team if you include an importable of the team - just toss one in hide tags near the bottom so we don't have to copy and paste each mon individually into the teambuilder. if i'm not mistaken though this was a team in the teambuilder's shop w/ lansat loom + mega gyara that jacob made initially but the overall build looks quite different now.

when i was looking at your squad i noticed that the team really didn't enjoy coming in on manectric, thundurus, and offensive electrics, especially given that manectric + pursuit is a common offensive core that handles your latias. i suppose you can sack weav / tflame to get prio damage off with rocks but that's really not an ideal gameplan. sand cores of tyranitar, excadrill, and potentially char-y are threatening for similar reasons, you don't have much to come in on earthquake because chomp is 2hkod and are therefore forced to pivot between unevolved gyarados, talon, and lati against excadrill, which is worsened by the pressure that hazards put on your team. opposing weavile also aren't easy to come in on if gyarados hasn't mega evolved, and charizardx is a threat if it manages to set up on a choice-locked jirachi or the like. rotom-w is also pretty annoying to handle as it's easy to just volt out on a latias and it checks half the squad. mega sab + skarm like king sun outlined above are also tough to handle alongside full stall. straight up ko'ing azumarill is a major pain too as it checks mega gyara and weavile pretty easily. that's enough nitpicking though, let's hop into the rate.

you can use yache berry garchomp to alleviate your team's weakness to offensive electrics by luring out electrics, eating yache berry to survive hp ice, and then ko'ing with either outrage or earthquake. you can also bluff a scarf with the chomp depending on how you use it, force weavile to ice shard, and then live and ko back via yache. offensive rocks chomp also gives you a means of putting more pressure on sand builds via being able to ko tyranitar after rocks and take ice beam, swords dance to chunk landos, etc. all around good mon. sd can also force clefable down to about 10% after a +2 eq which helps, well, everything on your team. however, without tankchomp you're a tad weaker to lop that don't try and ice punch you 1v1. so with that in mind,

->i'd replace talonflame with lansat berry sd breloom again like in the original build. lansat breloom can at the least pressure out mega lop with mach punch, take on excadrill, and lure out amoonguss / tangrowth for mega gyarados at +2 via natural gift flying. additionally, so long as you don't mega evolve gyarados you should be able to take on most mega scizor with it and continual pressure with garchomp. this drastically improves your matchup against common stall. breloom also gives you a means of forcing out azumarill, rotom-w, and bisharp which is immensely important for a team like this.

i second king sun's suggestion of taunt mega gyarados to help you beat skarm + sab. it's important to note that if you use taunt over substitute you can lose to amoonguss spamming giga drain if you mega your gyarados. however, w/ breloom's natural gift lure amoonguss or tangrowth should be easily eliminated, leaving gyarados unafraid of setting up with taunt and dd. earthquake is also fine if you desire more rotom coverage.

->with yache garchomp, there's no need to have recover latias to better tank attacks from thundurus and other electrics. i recommend hp fire latios to replace latias. hp fire latios gives you another means to lure out mega scizor and ferrothorn, limiting their time on the field and can potentially take either of them out for mega gyarados. additionally, you can afford to run hp fire defog because jirachi can always healing wish up latios if you need it to attack again or defog.

lastly, i second king sun's recommendation of heart stamp over ice punch on jirachi. another lopunny check is simply too good to pass up here. fire punch can work if you really want another m-metagross and m-scizor check.

so that's all i have today. i think the team functions a lot better against your threatlist with my changes and maintains the initial goal of a mega gyarados sweep. you'll have to play a tad more aggressively against mega lopunny and steels, but that's a worthy change especially given that you have lots of means of pressuring them from sd garchomp to hp fire lati to low kick weavile.

gl broski n_n

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt / Earthquake
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Breloom @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Natural Gift

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp / Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

whump (Garchomp) @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)