first stall team that I've ever made...hope it's good

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
my team is a stall team that is focused around status effects and entry hazards. this is my first stall tactic team, so it may not be perfect.

roserade @focus sash
timid
4 hp, 252 special attack,252 speed
moves: energy ball, toxic spikes, sleep powder, sludge bomb

roserade makes a great lead with toxic spikes and sleep powder. once you sleep powder, you can either switch to a corresponding type, or energy ball/sludge bomb the opponent.

skarmory @shed shell
careful
252 hp, 236 defence, 20 speed
moves: spikes, whirlwind, roost, taunt

with spikes, toxic spikes, status moves, and stealth rock, spam whirlwind to inflict major damage, especially when its a
physical team. although, i feel like i should add an attack... anyway, taunt is for those d-dance gyarados who think they can take down my skarmory.

blissey @leftovers
bold
252 hp, 252 defence, 4 speed
moves: aromatherapy, softboiled, thunder wave, ice beam

stall teams can be DOMINATED by status conditions, but blissey's aromatherapy takes care of that. thunder wave the opposing pokemon to cripple sweepers.

jolteon @leftovers
timid
252 special attack, 4 special defence, 252 speed
moves: thunderbolt, thunder wave, substitute, baton pass

a baton passer with a bit of spice, jolteon first cripples the foe with t-wave, then proceeds to baton pass a substitute to gliscor, who then proceeds to sweep. thunderbolt is there to take out gyarados and vaporeon, usually crippling the team as both are (most of the time) essential to the team, with vaporeon being wish support and gyarados as an essential sweeper.

vaporeon @leftovers
relaxed
248 hp, 224 defence, 36 speed
moves: wish, protect, roar, toxic

gliscor @life orb
jolly
252 hp, 252 s. defence, 4 attack
moves: earthquake, stealth rock, ice fang/aerial ace, taunt

i suppose i should explain the moves: taunt is to prevent stealth rock and to just plain be annoying. aerial ace to take out breloom and hera. earthquake is for STAB and basic coverage, and stealth rock is to...well...stealth rock.

there you have it... my stall team. id like u guys to post:
a) how i can improve it
and...
b) major threats to my team

ive located some threats to my team:
mixed infernape
charizard...
and ingrain resttalk cradily.

any others?

Aquaaa is overreacting a bit, this team isn't that bad, but it does have some pretty glaring flaws.

First off, for a stall team usually you want a lead that can not only set up early game, but also has enough bulk and defense to be able to switch in during the midgame and continue to be a problem. Sadly, Roserade is not this poke. Happily however this is quite an easy fix. Simply by moving Skarmory to the lead position and changing it's item from shed shell to lum berry means that you will be able to stop slower leads from setting up with taunt, as well as beating sleep leads such as opposing roserade and smeargle. Also, the lum berry will help against lead machamp, as although you don't have Brave Bird as an option, you can whirlwind it away, hopefully for it to come back in later in the match and take significant entry hazard damage. Also, you may want to increase Skarms speed EVs up to around 92-96, this allows you to outspeed 4 speed gyara (particularly resttalk versions) and taunt them before they can heal, meaning entry hazard damage will be a lot more effective.

Secondly, Blissey really isn't pulling it's weight. Between Skarms new lum, nature cure on 2 pokes and several pokes being immune to certain status (roserade/skarm for poison, gliscor/jolt for twave) a cleric seems a little redundant. Another wish passer may also seem redundant, but with vaporeon and blissey walling completely different pokes, it isn't such a bad idea, and with wish constantly keeping your team healthy, it will be very difficult to wear down. A moveset of ice beam/twave/wish/protect would be good at stopping special threats, damaging Dragonite switchins that think they can set up, as well as providing a free pivot for one of your team members. Ice beam as your only attack does leave you slightly weak against calm minders, especially those immune to toxic spikes (I'm looking at you, rachi and suicune) so seismic toss may be a better choice, although then you are slightly weak to Subsplit Gengar.

Jolteon really has no place in this team, it has too little defenses to work as a defensive poke, and your description of it is to aid a gliscor sweep, but with no boosting moves gliscor will rarely achieve this. But far more importantly, your stall team lacks 2 arguably key components of a stall team: a spin blocker and a trick absorber. Luckily, we can roll these all into one, whilst keeping a similar typing with choice scarf Rotom-w, specifically bulky scarf Rotom-w. The reason I say bulky as it allows Rotom-w to act as a backup check to a couple of pokes that could be problematic (infernape, gyara w/ taunt, lucario) as well as block rapid spin multiple times throughout a match. He also has great defensive synergy with your wishpassers (it is immune to blisseys fighting weakness and resists vappys electric weakness) meaning you should have little problem keeping him at high health. A moveset of 252 HP/40 Sp.atk/ 216 speed allows you to outspeed +2 Empoleon and everything below, and a moveset of Hydropump/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Trick gives him nice coverage as well as the ability to cripple opposing walls in a stall v stall match. Alternatively, you could run w-o-w over trick to try and catch tyranitar and scizor switch ins, but this is risky as locking yourself into w-o-w can give a lot of pokes a free turn (heatran, an already poisoned breloom etc.).

Vaporeon is a really good choice for this team and has good synergy with the team, just a shame it's moveset is really letting it down. For starters, there is no reason to run a -speed nature, a bold nature is much more beneficial, as vappy won't be using physical attacks anyway. Secondly, a -speed nature with speed evs is a big nono, but shifting them into special defense couldnt hurt, it'll let you take infernapes overheat or heatrans fire blast a little better, not to mention Draco Meteors from Dragonite (mixed variants really trouble this team). Also, the moveset means you are complete tauntbait, which is never a good thing. I would recommend running surf and hidden power electric over roar and toxic, not only does this offer pretty decent coverage, but also hits 3 of the most common taunters super effectively: Gliscor, Gyarados and Skarmory. Hidden power electric also means you can check Gyarados more effectively, which takes some pressure off of Skarmory and Rotom-w, so they can perform their other duties more consistently.

Now, with Skarm possibly being your new lead, roserade needs to find another job to do, or more precisely another way to do the same job, which is set up and absorb toxic spikes. A specially defensive version with 120 speed evs allows it to be a good switchin to LO starmie (because without toxic blissey can only force it into a stalemate unless it lacks recover, even then its not ideal) as well as several special attackers that are designed to beat blissey, such as resttalk calm mind suicune, a.k.a crocune. A movelist of Leaf Storm/ HP Fire/ Toxic Spikes/ Sleep Powder would allow roserade to perform several duties. It would make a solid check to CM suicune if you chose to stick with ice beam on blissey, it can also set up toxic spikes during the number of switches it can force (either through walling special attackers or putting switchins to sleep). The lack of a recovery move is again mitigated by the synergy with vaporeon, as roserade resists both of vaporeons weaknesses.

Finally, Gliscor seems a little out of place on this team as well. He was your only check to SD lucario, but with the addition of Rotom-w, this is no longer true (Timid Rotom-w can even check adamant luke without its scarf, in case you've already tricked it away). Also, with no sandstorm on the team, sand veil isn't active, so you lose out on a bit of luck (read: hax) there. Also, even with the addition of another special wall, the team is very weak to wish calm mind jirachi, who can set up on the majority of your team and your best answer at the moment is tricking it a scarf with rotom-w, which isn't the most reliable answer. A poke that could help alleviate some of these issues, whilst still being able to set up stealth rock is specially defensive heatran. A moveset of lava plume/ stealth rock/ protect/ roar would be able to fill all of these roles as well as having more synergy with the rest of your team, as it is immune to skarmorys and roserades fire weakness, and 4x resists vaporeons grass weakness. It also provides you with another phazer that can rack up more entry hazard damage.

So those are my main suggestions, the inclusion of 3 special walls in a physically oriented metagame may seem a bit odd, but they all wall a variety of very diverse special threats and in reality the combination of vaporeon/skarmory/Rotom-w has the majority of physical threats covered anyway.

A quick glance at the team with those changes implemented, I can see that you would be a little weak to Breloom, who can set up on blissey, even despite having ice beam (he can just spore her and let nature cure de-activate the sleep clause) as well as vaporeon. Both Rotom-w and Skarm do an ok job of walling it, but they're not solid counters. Just something to think about.

But I digress, with these changes you should have a pretty solid stall team on your hand. Good luck in the future

Peace~

P.S sorry for the awful formatting, it didn't look so bad in quick post :P

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ok thx. this team covers infernape and charizard with rotom-w, but it still seems like i have a weakness to breloom, especially poison heal+toxic orb(does he get that in dpp and hgss, or is that his dream world ability?) wut can i do to fix this? skarmory plus aerial ace or brave bird instead of taunt?

btw, props on writing such a long post. must hav took AGES. *clap clap*

offtopic, ik, but im making a rain dance team with jirachi, and wanted a trick lead dancer, so is this a viable set?

jirachi @choice specs
modest
4 hp, 252 s. attack, 252 speed
thunder, rain dance, trick, waterpulse

Ice beam as your only attack does leave you slightly weak against calm minders, especially those immune to toxic spikes (I'm looking at you, rachi and suicune)

btw, how is raichu and suicune immune to toxic spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)