First RMT ever

Since I began battling online in 2004, this is the first time I've put a team up for scrutiny. This is a parahax team that uses paralysis and slow, powerful choicers and sweepers to pick the opponents team apart one pokemon at a time. The idea here is not to paralyze everything at once and then sweep, but paralyze something and then use the para to tutor a slow heavy hitter onto the field, where it will get a chance to take something out before it has to retreat.

Deoxys-e @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/36 Spd/220 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Recover

My new and improved anti-starter. Works very similar to the gallade, but with improved speed and survivability. Keeps stealth rocks, which hurts togekiss a lot, off the field and paralyzes those fast sweepers and sleepers. Can survive most super effective attacks that aren't boosted, and recover keeps him in the game for a while. Kills Gengar in one shot, and surivives attacks from yanmega to paralyze.

This Deoxys has preformed wonderfully for my team, it screws over a lot of leads. The problem I forsee is choiced Ttar leads, in which case I'll have to paralyze and hope that full para lets deoxys escape pursuit.

---

Togekiss (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/6 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

The only true sweeper on the team, Togekiss is my special sponge and my second paralyzer. Body Slam was chosen over Thunder Wave for it's superior coverage, and has rarely let me down. Being able to paralyze Garchomp and Electivire is very much worth the 40% accuracy drop from thunder wave. Not to mention being able to paralyze through taunt. Nasty Plot was chosen over Aura Sphere to beat walls like Blissey and Cresselia, who would wall the whole team without some kind of boosting. Lum Berry to give Togekiss an extra turn against enemy thunder wavers.
---

Torterra (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

My powerhouse physical attacker. Wood Hammer seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it(50% on jumps bulkydos, and 80% on offensive dos'), and prediction helps against the stuff that does. Stealth Rock will usually be torterras first move when coming out to scout whatever pokemon they send in to counter terra, and hides the fact that torterra is banded. This ensures that I know what pokemon they will send out the next time torterra is out, since they will believe I'm using the tankingterra and that they will have a safe switch. I'm still tinkering with this strategy, but stealth rock has proven more useful than the utterly craptastic superpower, which doesn't 2hko anything that earthquake and woodhammer can't hit. stealth rocks are also very useful against yanmegas, which give me a hard time. Torterra also absorbs thunder waves that mess up most of my pokemon.
---

Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/6 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Overheat
- Dragon Pulse

With 2 fire weaks and 3 ice weaks on the team, heatran was a pretty natural choice. Thanks to the parasuport, heatran can afford to use modest with maxed sp atk and hp and not have to worry about speed. The extra attack and staying power has proven very useful. My team already has several ways of dealing with Blissey, so explosion would have been a sub par choice on this set. Originally I used flamethrower, and then I went to lava plume for the burn rate, but now I'm thinking of switching to hidden power electric. If anybody knows the IV spread for heatran to obtain HP Ice I'd be grateful.
---

Porygon2 @ Lum Berry
Ability: Trace
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Where Zapdos and Gyarados failed in the past (Hidden Power Ice too weak to kill garchomp and the latter lacking a recovery move), Porygon2 has proven himself in testing to be a wonderful third para supporter. He is physically bulky enough to switch into physical attacks that aren't fighting, paralyze, and then recover off the damage. Bolt Beam really helps against the big threats like garchomp, mence and gyarados. He lacks the weaknesses that made zapdos a liability on the old team, has a way to deal with pokemon that are immune to thunder wave, and has a solid recovery move to keep him from being slowly worn away.
---

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Focus Punch

Since my team is all about slowing down the opponent and picking off their vulnerable pokemon, the biggest threats to me are walls. Breloom is the greatest anti-wall in the game imo, and deals with the majority of walls in DP. The only things Breloom has trouble with are Gliscor and Cresselia.

Crobat leads are my biggest problem right now. Though I've won a great majority of my battles with this team, I've had to rely on risky predictions and good reads on my opponent more than I like to lately, so I attribute this more to my battling experience than to the team. Thanks for any fixes you guys can give, I'm sure there are a lot of chances for improvement.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
An anti-metagame team already? Sounds nice. I like the idea of the Gallade.

Togekiss, I think Nasty Plot on that kind of Togekiss is overcompensating for a lack of offense; I think Wish might help your entire team better, however, I can see where NP would work for you.

I hesiate to take out Torterra, because it definitely seems to work well for you, but as you said you have problems getting through "great walls".

I kind of like the idea of 2 fire attacks ala Specsmence; are you sure you want Modest though? Realistically, you won't paralyze everything.

Bulky T-Wave Gyara over Zapdos? It sort of fixes your Ice weak, gives you a better sweeper

I would suggest this:
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 106 Def / 188 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -Satk)
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

As few players expect T-Wave from Gyara, and a lot of players try to switch in their Scarfgar or Deoxys-E on a Dragon Dance, a suprise Thunder Wave will cripple them.

Breloom? Er, I dunno. I prefer Leech Seed over Seed Bomb anyway, but I kind of think you should have CB or SD Heracross on your team over it. Sleep is semi-redundant on a paralysis team, and CB or SD Cross will be great at breaking walls, and it can stay alive with Togekiss Wish support.

All in all, the team concept is great though.

EDIT: I'd still like Gyarados > Tangrowth, mainly because Thunder Wave really forces your opponent's hand - they can't keep sending their paralyzed pokemon into a Gyarados that's Dancing in their face, but by sending something else in they risk more paralysis.

Hmm, the thunder waving gyarados is a great idea, I'll try that out over tangrowth. It's kind of ironic that gyarados would come back to me like this, since this is the first time in 3 years that I haven't used gyarados on my main team. I already replaced leech seed over seed bomb on breloom, I realized that if breloom finds itself against something paralyzed that resists focus punch, subseeding will be the superior strategy. I am hesitant to add garchomp to my team, breloom is still very anti-meta thanks to all the stall still present, while the metagame has basically built itself around killing garchomp. Also, breloom has saved my ass on every team I've put it on, I'm usually hard pressed to make a team that doesn't have a slot open for breloom.

Mamoswine and Torterra both have appealing attributes that I want on my team (120 STAB attack and priority Ice move) so I'm kind of torn on which to use. Since I'm adding gyarados I might keep torterra for now and see if I really need that priority Ice Move.

As for being modest, the extra power has proven useful and has actually caught several people off guard by getting 2HKOs on things that should have been 3hkos. You are right about not paralyzing everything, that is not my goal. My goal is to paralyze one thing at a time, and use that paralysis to gain entry for my slower pokemon into battle, so that they don't have to take two attacks before they get a chance to use their own. If Heatran comes in on a paralyzed pokemon, it's guranteed to get an attack before the opponent can strike, either by them switching or through the paralysis.

I think I have fought this team before, and it was extremely annoying. I don't think Heracross will be too much of a problem, as most of the time you're paralyzing it. And if Heracross does become a problem, you can always use Gyarados.

This team obviously relies on status (Paralysis in particular), so lets try and go from there. To be quite honest, I think a Bronzong could fit well on this team over Torterra. You already have a good group of physical attackers in Gyarados, Breloom, and Gallade. Torterra just adds on some weaknesses and Bronzong would just make a so much better counter to pokemon that easily rip you apart such as Garchomp and Gengar. In fact speaking of them, they are the 2 single biggest threats to this team:

Specs Gengar with:
Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Ice

Tears everything apart in this team. In fact every Pokemon except Togekiss will be OHKOed, although with Stealth Rock damage Togekiss now is 2hkoed. Bronzong would make an excellent choice to stop this thing (Although unfortunately you can't switch in on shadow ball or Focus Blast, so wait for thunderbolt or hidden Power). Bronzong provides stealth rock, hypnosis, and gyro ball to easily stop Choice Specs Gengar.
Swords Dance Garchomp also is a huge threat, as it can easily set up on pokemon such as Heatran stuck with Overheat. After a Swords Dance everything will be OHKOed, and you won't have a counter to him. Bronzong is perfect here as he switches into Outrage and delivers Gyro Ball to kill him.

What am I trying to get at here is; You are dangerously weak to the two most common pokemon in the game. Unconventional or not, SpecsGengar will be used because of how common Gengar is anyway.

Now this brings me to point 2. I know you replaced Zapdos for Gyarados, but I think Zapdos could make a re-appearance over Togekiss. Zapdos also counters all varients of Gengar and Garchomp, as well as delivers status through thunder wave and has access to roost. I know Togekiss can paralyze Ground types but to be honest; Is that all that important? Most ground types wont be switching into Togekiss anyway and you wont be guarenteed to paralyze with body slam anyway. Zapdos can kill ground types with Hidden Power Ice/Grass and just do everything kiss is doing better. To be honest, Nasty Plot Kiss just doesnt seem to fit the team.
Zapdos also deals with Crobat but Bronzong does as well. Just insurance because you stated you were weak to crobat.

Don't forget KinglerDude, Body Slam gets through Motor Drive, volt absorb, and taunt, and I do consider that to be important.

As for Bronzong over Torterra, what moveset would you recommend. I had almost put bronzong on the team from the beginning until I learned that it doesn't learn thunder wave. So the only thing I can see it doing is stealth rocking and setting up screens.

Got some testing done, and gyarados wasn't sturdy enough to fill the role I needed. Porygon 2 has done quite well though, it's surprisingly bulky and creates wierd problems for the opponent with trace. Deoxys E has also proven a superior choice to Gallade for the role of anti-starter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)