ORAS OU First Rate: Mega Slowbro and Friends

Background Information
I would like to start off by saying that this is my first RMT on Smogon. I decided to add some of my favorite Pokemon, those being tyranitar and chesnaught. Then decided to add a solid wall core and a pair of scarfers to round out my team.

Teambuilding Process

The first Pokemon I decided to put on this team was mega-slowbro. I wanted to use mega-slowbro, because it can take physical hits for days, and the only physical move that hits it hard would be U-turn, and that can only hit once, so slowbro can recover from the hit thanks to slack off.

I decided to put on landorus-T because it has amazing synergy with slowbro. Landorus-T’s ground typing allows it to be immune to electric moves that wreck slowbro. Landorus can also U-turn on dark types that wreak havoc against slowbro. Landorus is also able to dominate the tier thanks to its great move pool, tremendous attack, and great speed with a scarf.

The third slot of my team is filled by sylveon. Sylveon has great special defense, it can pass wishes, and its fairy typing allows it to be immune to dragons. With toxic ruining slowbro and landorus-T being tremendously weakened by will-o-wisp, sylveon’s ability to heal bell makes it a prime member of the squad.

Tyranitar is on this team for a few very specific reasons. Pursuit trapping the lati twins, setting up hazards, and taking out the most annoying Pokemon in the game- chansey. The only real problem that comes from having tyraintar on the team is that it brings a second weakness of U-turn to the team.

My fifth selection was chesnaught, previously on this rate I had breloom, so there wasn't really a process to adding chesnaught to the mix besides suggestions, and re adding him after switching him out with breloom, because breloom is one of my favorite Pokémon ever. Just to clarify I already was using chesnaught, but wanted to show breloom some love by adding him to the rate.

The final member of the squad is heatran. Heatran has a lot of resistances that help it counter some pretty serious threats in the OU Meta game. Heatran is also rocking a pretty stylish scarf that allows it to out speed and KO some pretty big threats like magnezone, charizard Y, and other defensive heatrans.

In-depth Look
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Mega-slowbro is an amazing mega. It can recover thanks to slack off, scald and psyshock provides it with dual stab, and calm mind lets it boost its special defense so it becomes a truly perfect physical and special wall. Also there are zero Atk evs in order to reduce the damage of foul play. Slowbro is an extremely powerful mega Pokemon, it doesn’t get nearly as much play as it deserves, because it doesn’t have the glitz and the glam of a beedrill or metagross.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Like I said before landorus-T synergizes extremely well with slowbro thanks to its ground typing. Landorus is also a great scarfer, because it hits a lot of Pokemon extremely hard with stab earthquake, access to knock off helps put an end to those pesky eviolite users, and U-turn puts an end to dark types that really put a damper on slowbro’s day.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Toxic
- Wish

Sylveon is on this team, because it is an excellent support mon. Toxic can help derail threats, heal bell keeps the team from suffering major status problems, and wish passing helps keep sweepers in action. I chose not to run protect on this sylveon, because the wishes are supposed to go to other mons, not keep sylveon healthy. I also wanted to run hyper voice so sylveon wasn’t total taunt bait.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

As I said before, tyranitar is on this team for a few very specific reasons. First, tyranitar is on the team to deal with latios and latias who are currently the premier defoggers in OU. Secondly, tyranitar is on the team to set up rocks, which every team needs, in order to break sashes and deal big entry damage to threats like talonflame. The third and final reason for choosing tyranitar is because it has access to superpower, so it can deal major damage to the queen of stall-chansey.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 192 HP / 128 Atk / 96 Def / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb

Chesnaught is great for the team, he provides the team with some solid bulk and his grass and fighting typing allows him to cover some of my teams weaknesses like rain. The combination of spiky shield and leech seed give chesnaught the ability to stall if needed, but drain punch and seed bomb allow chesnaught to KO dark types which hurt mega-slowbro, and deal major damage to bulky water types.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

The sixth and final spot on the team belongs to heatran. Heatran provides the team with some great resistances thanks to its typing, and the scarf allows heatran to out speed and KO many threats in the tier. Powerful fairies like azumarill and mawile were giving my team a decent amount of trouble, but heatrans flamethrower and flash cannon stops them cold.

Threats

RAIN

Rain teams are a threat to my team, chesnaught is the team’s main way of dealing with water types, but when you get two or three water types moving at twice their normal speed you have a problem. The main way to combat this threat is get a KO with chesnaught, but if the opposing swift swimmer is packing an ice move I'm finished, which leaves me hoping slowbro can wall the swift swimmers, also smart tyranitar play can be key to this team’s success against the rain, being able to stop the rain with sand stream kills your opponents’ momentum and could give you an advantage.

Scarfs and Super-Fast Pokemon

Like I’ve said throughout this RMT choice scarf users are currently destroying everything in their sights. With so many hyper offense team out there right now that are chockfull of glass cannons, making scarf users more viable than ever. The main way to combat these speed demons is with your own speed, a super-fast pokemon like greninja can only be stopped by a scarfer, which is why keeping landorus or heatran alive is vital to the team’s success.

Final Thoughts
I would like to say thanks for taking the time to read my first RMT, and apologize if this team doesn’t live up to the Smogon standards, and that I didn't have any sprites. I would also like to thank Questro for some great advice and making me realize that I just can't throw a mon on the team because I like him-this is serious business, this is Smogon.

Last edited:
Hello there,nice team!but I have some suggestion about your team:first,why don't you you using rock slide instead stone edge?30% flinch rate is very helpful,but if you prefer power over secondary effect,that's okay.second,don't forget to give your sylveon 0 atk IVs.third,how about using life orb instead focus sash on your breloom for extra damage?that's all.

thanks for the suggestons, I'm more of a power player so I like stone edge, and I prefer the sash on breloom because it allows me to 1v1 talonflame.
Also I will definitely fix the IV's on sylveon, and heatran to just to be safe.

Hi Friend :)

I'll make a few points here:

First, Sylveon without protect means that it can't reliably heal itself with wish or scout for potentially dangerous coverage moves (for example, Iron Head on Kyurem-B) or choice-locked mons. The easiest fix is simply to replace Toxic with Protect; the things that want to switch into Sylveon are generally steel and poison types anyway so Toxic does no good for you there.

Second, Breloom is one of my favorite 'mons as well, but what it does for your team is very minimal. You mentioned that it allows you to 1v1 Talonflame but the logic there is a bit hampered. Four out of the Six pokes on your team (M-Slowbro, Lando-T, Tyranitar, and Heatran) already handle Talonflame and beat it 1v1 as well, maybe barring a weakened Lando-T. You wouldn't want to 1v1 a Talonflame with your Breloom anyway (I mean unless both Talon and Loom are the lead pokes, but most of them will u-turn out, switch, or wisp); its focus sash is mainly there to ensure that Talonflame (or anything) doesn't sweep your team so wasting it just to show off that you can kill Smogon Bird seems unnatural. Lack of Hazard Control and the addition of sand from Tyranitar also mean Breloom loses its sash very quickly if it's not used as a lead (which you seem to always use, but there should be cases where you shouldn't like against opposing grass types).

I know you don't want to change your favorite mon, but I would seriously consider replacing Breloom with Chesnaught. You retain Breloom's critical typing but add on much needed bulk which allows you to take on threats that you mentioned your team has more easily such as Rain (Swampert/Kabutops/Ferrothorn). You also don't lose a typical lead since Scarf Lando-t can be your go-to first pokemon.

Here's a recommended set:
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed/Synthesis
- Spiky Shield/Spikes
- Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb/Superfang

I like to invest a bit more in special defense to help Chesnaught tank random special attacks. I'll leave the choice of moves up to you, if you opt to change Breloom out.

Also, I would change Heatran's nature to Modest and replace Flamethrower for Fire Blast. Since Scarf Heatran is mostly used as hit-and-run, you want to hit as much as possible before getting out, so these changes will help with that. Modest and max ev's still allow you to outpace Greninja, which is really what you want to hit. I guess if Mega Manectric seems threatening, you could still keep Timid but that's your prerogative.

thanks for the suggestons, I'm more of a power player so I like stone edge, and I prefer the sash on breloom because it allows me to 1v1 talonflame.
Also I will definitely fix the IV's on sylveon, and heatran to just to be safe.
How about knock off on Lando-T?some people like to use that move on him

Here's a recommended set:
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed/Synthesis
- Spiky Shield/Spikes
- Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb/Superfang
Wait,Chestnaught learns super fang?really?

Last edited:
I have to say impressed with the rate, Questro. I actually run chesnaught on my team, but because breloom is my favorite Pokémon I threw him on the team.

I've added the chesnaught I usually use. Any suggestions with the set or the team in general with breloom gone and chesnaught thrown into the mix?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)