Enemies of the metagame - a B2W2 team for OU.

THE REVENGE OF GYARADOS

With the premiere of Pokemon Black and White 2, massive changes came to the metagame: a new pokemon, new formes for old favorites, and new abilities for good (and bad) standards. Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, and Keldeo have given rain a massive boost. Meanwhile, Breloom, Amoongus, and Ditto all got fantastic new abilities. In addition to this, many pokemon got amazing new moves to abuse. Haxorus got Aqua Tail. Hydreigon got superpower and roost. Mienshao got Dual Chop. It's a crazy metagame right now, and it's tough to find something that works consistently. With that in mind, I tried to build a team to contend with threats both new and old. Its goal is to keep offensive pressure off of my team and solidly against my opponent. Without further delay, here is the team:

I want to point out that my entire team runs life orb. I realize this makes my team more fragile, but the idea here is power and momentum. So far, the life orb recoil hasn't been a significant issue for my team. Any suggestions as to ways I can improve this team are greatly anticipated!

MURDERFISH

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Moxie
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD.
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Murderfish lives up to his name. Obviously I won't try to boost with this beast if Ditto is on the opponent's team, but it's not all that hard to nab an opportunity to boost. After a single dragon dance, the atrocious one hits like a freight train and just as fast, and he gets even deadlier with each KO. He is especially deadly late game against a weakened team that has no way to halt his momentum. It doesn't hurt that he resists mach punch, aqua jet, and bullet punch, is neutral to ice shard, and is bulky enough to shrug off most other priority, making his sweep even harder to stop.

TOBACCO JONES

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
4 HP/252 SP. ATK./252 SPD.
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Ice

Much is being made about how dangerous Tornadus-T, but there is a very simple solution: Jolteon. Jolteon is faster than tornadus and can maul him with his STAB attacks. If Thundurus-T thinks about switching in, hidden power Ice is there too. Volt Switch allows for a quick switch to a counter, and hits surprisingly hard. Shadow Ball has limited utility, but it can be effective against stuff like Celebi or Gengar and it's not like he has much else. Jolteon can also take lightning attacks aimed at Tentacruel and Gyarados for free healing. Overall, a very useful momentum grabber and fast attacker.

MR. HUGS

Tentacruel @ Life Orb
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Nature: Timid
252 SP. ATK/4 SP. DEF./252 SPD.
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Giga Drain
Rapid Spin

Here we have the best offensive rapid spinner bar Starmie. Tentacruel is surprisingly fast for such a bulky pokemon, and his EV spread and Timid nature seeks to abuse that. Although he doesn't hit as hard as other offensive threats, his Hydro Pump still hurts, especially if rain is up, and his bulk allows him to outlast many opponents and severely weaken an enemy team. He's not meant to sweep a team on his own...rather, his job is to weaken threats, spin away hazards, and troll opponents who try to giga drain him with liquid ooze.

HALLUCINATION

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly
4 HP/252 ATK./252 SPD.
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Swords Dance
Spore

Here he is, Techniloom! A lot of hype has surrounded this psychedelic shroom! Though he can't possibly live up to all of it, he is still potentially very deadly when used correctly. Spore is part of what makes Breloom so good. A poor prediction on the part of the opponent could mean Breloom puts a counter to sleep and snags a free boost. Technician boosted Mach Punch is even deadlier than Scizor's infamous Bullet Punch, because it has much better coverage. Bullet Seed when boosted by Technician also becomes massively powerful, even moreso if Breloom has snagged a swords dance. Like Gyarados, Breloom dares not boost if Ditto is waiting in the wings, and he is always conscious of the presence of Tornadus-T and Amoongus, two threats he is hard-pressed to overcome. That being said, he functions admirably as a late-game cleaner along with gyarados. It doesn't hurt that they compliment each other beautifuly: Gyarados resists most of Breloom's weaknesses, and vice versa.

TAINTED PORK

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD
Ice Shard
Icicle Crash
Earthquake
Stealth Rock

The current metagame is very kind to Mamoswine. It's only getting better for him now that he has thick fat, giving him resistance to ice and neutrality to fire, slightly boosting his durability. I'll typically lay down rocks if i can force a switch, which Mamoswine does well. His Ice Shard is a solid check to all three of the T-Genies, and does very well against the dragons of OU as well. Icicle Crash pummels slower threats, and the high flinch chance is nice, too. Earthquake is also in high demand with Heatran and Magnezone running around the metagame. Mamoswine is half of my team softening duo, along with Hydreigon.

ANGRY DRAGON

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Naive (+Spe,-SpD)
4 ATK/252 SP. ATK./252 SPD.
Draco Meteor
Superpower
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse

Last but not least, we have the premiere wallbreaker in OU. With the gift of Superpower, Tyranitar and Blissey are no longer safe switch-in's to the Hydra. If Blissey is hit by Superpower on the switch, a subsequent hit will KO her, while Tyranitar is outright OHKO'd by it. Heatran, as well, is 2HKO'd by superpower, as is Magnezone if rain is up. Fire Blast decimates Scizor even if it's raining, while Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd in the rain. Dark Pulse is Hydreigon's best answer to Jellicent, Slowbro, and Reuniclus, and it functions admirably. Hydreigon's best selling point is that it can destroy the popular new core of Amoongus, Slowbro, and Heatran on its own.

Interesting team... with every pokemon using life orb? Umm... I'd suggest going back to the drawing board, because your team lacks a revenge killer. Scarf Latios, the Therian forms, and anything scarfed sweep your whole team 6-0. The pokemon themselves aren't bad, but your item choice is.

The therian forms are all killed by ice shard...tornadus and thundurus both will be lucky to avoid an outright KO, while Landorus is definitely OHKO'd. Jolteon handles Tornadus and Landorus, and to a lesser extent thundurus, too. Ice Shard very nearly OHKO's Scarf Latios after rocks, and definitely if it's taken prior damage, while a +2 Gyarados easily OHKO's Latios with Stone Edge. Even if Latios survives ice shard, mach punch will pick it off. Honestly, those things you list as threats don't seem like major threats to me.

EDIT: I want to add that I have tested this team on Pokemon Showdown, and in its current form it has performed admirably. I originally ran keldeo in place of gyarados, but i found it to be a major liability. I also originally ran Gengar but dropped it in favor of Jolteon because I wanted something that could take out Tornadus-T.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your team is way to reliant on Mamoswine. If Mamoswine dies, you are screwed against so many things, including the extremely prevalent genies. A suggestion:
Use a Scarf Thundurus-T over Jolteon: Your team sorely lacks a proper revenge killer. Scarf Thundurus-T, other than being one of the best Scarfers in the game, has Volt Absorb and an Electric-typing with which it can checks Tornadus-T.

Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Other than that, I figure this team is fine, maybe go defensive on Tentacruel, but other than that, a decent team. Cheers!

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

This team looks pretty solid all around but like mentioned above is way too reliant on Mamoswine to check certain threats, my first change would be to change Jolteon to a Thundurus-T with a unique mixed set I have been running and has been working to great success, it gets you the same KOs as Jolteon but also serves as a great check to +1 Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus and packs enough speed to beat all Scarf Base 100s and less.And the set I have been running does not give Blissey a safe switch in either.Give it a try.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Next, I know Gyarados is a great Pokemon but seeing as this is early BW2 I would suggest replacing Gyarados with a Dragon Dance Kingdra, not only does it have higher base speed right off the bat but will also be able to take advantage of the countless rain teams with Swift Swim and deactivate their offensive cores like Keldeo, Thunudrus, Haxorus and Tornadus.However even when the opposing team is not running rain Kingdra is a very underrated sweeper outside the Rain with Dragon Dance so yeah this change is pretty much optional as I know how good Gyardos but IMO it would be cool take advantage of almost every team being a rain team.

I hope my rate helps, I like this team and good luck with it.

It looks like Thundurus is definitely taking Jolteon's place...having the speed of a choice scarf revenge killer would definitely fill in some holes. As for Kingdra...it's a good idea, too, and I'll consider it. Right now Gyarados is a serious asset in my eyes but if that changes I might use Kingdra in its place. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)