Pokémon Dragonite (Revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Aragorn the King. Original thread located here.

Name: Dragonite
Type: Dragon & Flying
Base Stats: 91 HP/ 134 Atk / 95 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 80 Spe (Total:600)
Tier: OU

Prevalent Moves

Dragon Dance
Extreme Speed
Dragon Claw
Outrage

Earthquake
Fire Punch
Roost
Ice Punch
Superpower
Thunder Punch
Iron Head

Abilities

Inner Focus-
Prevents flinching.

Multiscale- Reduces damage by 50% if the wielder is at full health.

Overview

With a very high base attack stat and excellent typing and coverage, Dragonite is classified as one of the best sweepers in OU. Access to Extreme Speed and Dragon Dance makes Dragonite very effective in the current OU meta. Being able to set up and avoid being killed or revenged with common +1 priorities in the OU meta by using Extreme Speed (+2), can assist in sweeping more efficiently mid/late game. Dragonite's excellent ability in Multiscale also assists in sweeping by being able to live hits it wouldn't normally survive and getting a DD up to kill the next turn. Multiscale turns Lati's Draco, which is normally an OHKO, into a possible live and many more examples. However Dragonite does have its downfalls in the OU meta. There becomes a dilemma on the more popular DD set when you have to choose either Fire Punch or Earthquake to hit either prevalent bulky steel types or Azu/Megagross etc. harder, because either way, you are walled by one or the other,ultimately hindering your sweeping capabilites. Dragonite is also hindered from sweeping by bulky prevalent attackers that it wouldn't be able to wear down without appropriate teammates.

Prevalent/Viable Sets

BandNite

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch / Thunder Punch / Iron Tail
- Earthquake / Superpower

This set takes advantage of the raw power of Dragonite's base attack stat of 134 and the great type coverage of moves that he has access to. Extreme Speed and Outrage are the main moves you would be going for on this set in which they serve the most purpose for Dragonite in the setting. Fire Punch and Earthquake are support/coverage moves for the ever so evident Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc in OU meta. Thunder Punch and Iron Tail are also viable options on CB Dnite just to hit Azumarill, and other fairy types for more damage if your multiscale is still in tact. Adamant is the preferred nature, but you can run Jolly to outpace Jolly Mega Heracross and Adamant Mega Gyarados. You choose one or the other depending on what is necessary for your team.

LumNite

Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake / Fire Punch

This set takes advantage of Dragonite's access to Dragon Dance and excellent move coverage. Lum Berry is the main factor for this set and gives a cushion to Dragonite in the midst of setting up. Naturally one the first things someone wants to do when they see a mon setting up is to status it. Lum Berry allows Dragonite to stack more DDs in the face of a mon you know is going to Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Toxic, etc trying to hinder your sweep. Lum Berry also gives Dragonite a cushion after it has already set up because, if a mon lives a hit from an already set up Dragonite and gets a scald burn or status, Drago is suppported by the Lum Berry. Weakness Policy is also an option for this set instead of Lum Berry for the extra attack raises because of the natural support from Multiscale. However the Weakness Policy is a one trick pony with a low consistency rate battle to battle.
BulkNite

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Dragonite's great defensive stats allow it to pull off a bulkier set that sponges hits better while still dealing decent damage. Roost allows Dragonite to regain health and reactivate Multiscale. Dragon Claw is a STAB attack that is used over Outrage, as any defensive Pokemon does not want to be locked into a move. Extreme Speed finishes off opponents that are weakened by Dragon Claw. Fire Punch hits Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory decently hard. On the other hand, Superpower can hit Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Bisharp harder, but it lowers both Attack and Defense. This set is very useful for countering Zard Y, non-Hp Ice Lando-I, variations of Lando-t, Keldeo and etc.

Conclusion

Dragonite is an excellent mid/late game sweeper and when paired with teammates that can weaken opposing counters to it can do very well and also be very scary in the OU metagame. Thank You :]]]

Last edited:
I don't really think that Weakness Policy Dnite deserves it's own set. It's really similar to lum berry, and I'd probably just slash weakness policy after lum berry. I like lum berry much more, as it allows you to boost in the face of stuff like mega sableye and stops thund-i from messing up a dnite sweep.

Also the leftovers picture for the bulky dnite set looks huge, and I'd probably mention that it counters stuff like zard y and non hp ice lando-i, which is kinda the whole reason to use bulky dnite, and countering most variants of lando-i is actually pretty important considering that it's so common atm. Description for the CB set is also messed up, it says "Extreme Speed and Dragon Claw are the main moves you would be going for on this set", yet dragon claw isn't even on the main set; I'm assuming you meant outrage.

edit: oh wow sanger nice job on the ninja

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Yea, agreeing with Sanger on the removal of the Weakness Policy set.

I'd also make mentions of Thunderpunch & Superpower on the Choice Band sets. Thunderpunch hits Azumarill harder than any move on the set & though Superpower hits the same things as Earthquake / Fire Punch, I still think it's worth a mention.

So, I'll tell you right now that WP Dragonite is not good. It's incredibly easy to play around once you learn to scout for it and has (to my knowledge) ever been accepted for an analysis. It's not quite CP Clefable level, but it is generally considered a bad set.
I don't really think that Weakness Policy Dnite deserves it's own set. It's really similar to lum berry, and I'd probably just slash weakness policy after lum berry. I like lum berry much more, as it allows you to boost in the face of stuff like mega sableye and stops thund-i from messing up a dnite sweep.

Also the leftovers picture for the bulky dnite set looks huge, and I'd probably mention that it counters stuff like zard y and non hp ice lando-i, which is kinda the whole reason to use bulky dnite, and countering most variants of lando-i is actually pretty important considering that it's so common atm. Description for the CB set is also messed up, it says "Extreme Speed and Dragon Claw are the main moves you would be going for on this set", yet dragon claw isn't even on the main set; I'm assuming you meant outrage.

edit: oh wow sanger nice job on the ninja
Alright when i was building the Weakness policy set I had the same inclination as you guys, but its so widely used I assumed it deserved a spot. Also about the leftovers picture, everything is all good on my side, ive refreshed and it seems normally sized to me

edit: i will also mention the stuff you said to mention on the BulkNite set husky, ty for the suggestion

edit: LOL husky i refreshed one more time and the lefties picture was huge, my fault

Alright when i was building the Weakness policy set I had the same inclination as you guys, but its so widely used I assumed it deserved a spot. Also about the leftovers picture, everything is all good on my side, ive refreshed and it seems normally sized to me
Like I said, it's kind of like CP Clefable: a set generally considered bad that's used so often you actually have to take it into account when battling on the lower ladder. Mark my words, someone will come by this thread and ask where it is, and at least 2 users will respond explaining why.

As for the picture, I also see a giant apple core. Did you get the picture from the same source site as the others?

Yea, agreeing with Sanger on the removal of the Weakness Policy set.

I'd also make mentions of Thunderpunch & Superpower on the Choice Band sets. Thunderpunch hits Azumarill harder than any move on the set & though Superpower hits the same things as Earthquake / Fire Punch, I still think it's worth a mention.
alright ciel i will add the suggestion. Keepem coming guys lol

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'd mention Weakness Policy somewhere anyways under the DDance set anyways. It's seen some legitimate use, as in big tours like OST. It's still garbage overall but if it's a factor in important games then you can't really neglect it entirely.

Uh, WP Dragonite isn't widely used at all. It's considered quite gimmicky and hasn't seen much usage in bigger tournaments such as SPL. Lum Berry is basically superior like 99% of the time, because getting to +3 is kinda overkill, as Dragonite really only needs like +1 or +2 to sweep a team.

I'm using google chrome, maybe that's the problem? This is how the leftovers picture looks like to me:

Like I said, it's kind of like CP Clefable: a set generally considered bad that's used so often you actually have to take it into account when battling on the lower ladder. Mark my words, someone will come by this thread and ask where it is, and at least 2 users will respond explaining why.

As for the picture, I also see a giant apple core. Did you get the picture from the same source site as the others?
yea i will get to changing the Weakness policy set to a more general sense under one of the other sets. and i will be fixing the apple core lolol

As for everyone else regarding thunderpunch etc, it will be added soon.

Alright guys all of your suggestions up to this point, have been taken into account and by the request of many people, the weakness policy set was moved to more of a mention rather than a whole separate set in of itself.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Iron Tail>Head imo, and Dragonite can be a good lure for Mega Altaria and Clefable with it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 272-320 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 340-400 (110.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 308-364 (78.1 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 384-454 (97.4 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

As you can see having Iron Tail>Head is pretty important, even though SR might be up, but I guess tail will be more consistent in nagging kills esp for MG clef.

Iron Tail>Head imo, and Dragonite can be a good lure for Mega Altaria and Clefable with it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 272-320 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 340-400 (110.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 308-364 (78.1 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 384-454 (97.4 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

As you can see having Iron Tail>Head is pretty important, even though SR might be up, but I guess tail will be more consistent in nagging kills esp for MG clef.
Tail is awful for it's low accuracy; and your calcs show that Altaria and Clefable still can't come in on Head. Altaria has a very good chance to be OHKO'd, while Clefable is 2HKO'd and cannot outspeed.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
True I guess, I just see more of Iron Tail on dnite than iron head, lol ik that doesn't justify tail's use but w/e.

I just put Jolly/ Adamant nature in and I will add in the description, choose one or the other depending on what your team needs.

Iron Tail has to be slased on CB set imo, helps withy clef, syvelon, and mega diance ( if they dont protect the turn they mega OR if you willing to take a multiscale in tact hit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)