XY OU Dragon/Fairy/Steel The new F/W/G

Introduction:
After reaching a peak of 1750 with my old team, I realized there were quite a few things that could easily threaten my team. I decided to make more teams and try them out without an alt because i prefer to test teams on higher ladder than on lower ladder. This made me lose my peak and i dropped all the way back to 1400. None of the teams really worked and all of them had a lot of problems. So, last night i was just going through the cores thread and found out a pretty interesting offensive core. With the help of a few friends, I decided to make an D/F/S core. This team is probably better than my last ones and i want some help making it more effective and progress to the higher ladder again.
Team building process:

The core i picked was Azumarill, Kyurem-black and Thundurus. It seemed pretty good and so i decided to build around it.

Next i added skarmory for hazard removal and to make a solid D/F/S core.

The next member i chose was scarf landorus-T because of being a pretty good scarfer and i neededan electric immunity.

Mega Venusaur had a good synergy with my team so i picked him.

Onto the details of the sets.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

dat mustache doe. This guy is a major beast. Rips through walls with ease. I was forced to run the mixed set because of focus miss and knock off seemed pretty appealing. With defiant, this guy can take advantage of intimidates and hit back hard with his knock off/superpower. The moves aren't weird and are standard. knock off+ Superpower=#GET REKT CHANSEY. There is only a few sruff that can wall this beast with ease like quagsire which i have venusaur for so thundurus won't be having much trouble on the field. The attack EVs are there to dent chansey. Special attack investment is enough to kill a thing or two. This mixed set is one of the reasons why this beast is S rank in OU viability.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
That is just how azumarill sits in front of dragon types and ground types and a number of threats in the tier. I wanted him to stay in for as long as possible and keep switching in and out for a long time so i chose its AV set which is probably the best set at the moment. This thing can take special hits without a problem and can hit very very very hard. The HP EVs give a lot of special and physical bulk and the 16 in Sp def make it live a lot of special hits. There is not much to say about this because everyone knows what this bunny/rat(I don't know what it is ;_;) can do.The set is standard and again i'm using knock off to hit gengar/dark types very hard.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is such a powerhouse. Its role on my team is to take out slower stuff and it does it very well. There isn't much that can avoid a 2HKO from this thing. It can OhKo azumarill with the LO. This is the standard mixed set and again nothing much needs to be said about it. I don't have to sacrifice my faster things to take out slower stuff because of this monster. Because of teravolt, mega venusaur isn't much of a problem. Ice beam and fusion bolt are usually the ones i spam the most because these moves can cover a lot. Earth Power is used against heatran who otherwise is annoying. I haven't used dragon claw at all since i made this team because many dragons are fast and i don't bring it in on dragons and let azu take care of them. The Max Attack EVs give him a lot of power in fusion bolt. A little EVs are invested in special attack but i haven't felt the need for more investment.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
A flower isn't all this thing has. I swear offensive mega saur is a thing. It is mostly only used on stall and balanced team but after using this guy, i'm loving it. It can do huge amounts of damage to anything not named Heatran. Max special attack investment is to make it as much offensive as possible. HP Fire is for ferro/scizor/skarm and other steel types. Sludge bomb and giga drain are powerful STABs which deal a lot of damage. Giga drain is kind of a second way to heal for me because synthesis only has 8 PP. sludge bomb can take care of fairies who may other wise cause me a lot of trouble. Its my main switching to troublesome fairies like that S Rank rat/bunny. Mega Venusaur is great in offensive teams. Not opting for a grass type on my previous teams was a big mistake and now that i have used this thing, i will probably always use a grass type and mega saur is probably the best of them.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog

This bird isn't as small as it looks in the picture. Its my main switch in to lati@s who threaten mega venusaur with their powerful psyshock. Even though skarmory is a physical wall it can still take resisted special hits very well. The damage can be roosted off after the foe has been forced to switch. Mu team needed hazard removal for which i was running scarf drill but i was VERY weak to sand rush drill so i had to replace it with this guy. He can switch in on drill without a problem. He is my last member of the D/F/S core and holds an important spot on the team. He is also my switch in to a lot of threats in the tier like mega pinsir/mega heracross/mega medicham and a lot more.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

After having removed scarf drill from my team., I felt the need for a scarfer that could revenge kil' with ease. I also needed an electric immunity because electric types give my team HELL. Scarf lando-t was the only and the best mon that came to mind and looking at its great movepool, i decided to use it. This guy does more than people expect from a landorus-t to do. It can cripple greninja with a u turn. It OHKOes gengar with its knock off. It can beat the Lati@s one on one. What else do you need? and there is hell loads of things this guy cad do which i have not stated. He is almost always my lead. Because i don't have a rocks setter, i lead with him because he can u turn very fast and makes me able to bring a good counter/check for the foe. There is not much explanation needed for this beast. He can intimidate and u turn out for me to take advantage of the attack drop of physical attackers.

Importable:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Well, that's all folks. I'm currently aiming for 1750 because as stated in the introduction, i've reached it once and i believe i can do it again. Anything that can help me get there is appreciated. Please ignore my spelling/grammar mistakes because my tablet hates me (;_;) and English is not my first language.

I'll post some replays soon.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hello there Ahabb,

So some things can be changed around a bit to help you out more so let's begin.

Thundurus:

This seems fine but an optional spread of 56 Atk / 200 SpAtk /252 Speed can be used if you want to net you some more power from your special attacks. Generally you hit everything pretty consistently still with the 56 Atk EVs but that's up to you if you want a stronger Knock Off / Superpower or not. HP Flying > HP Ice will give you a better matchup against things like M-Medicham and M-Heracross, cause right now your only answers to them are a bit shaky and matchup reliant. You have answers to what HP Ice would hit so that's another change you can consider. If you do go for HP Flying you'll want 4 EVs to be placed into HP to hit a Life Orb number and reduce Stealth Rock damage. This can be taken from the attack stat.

Azumarill:

I would still probably go 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD since this is generally your more consistent answer to stuff like Thundurus, the Latis, Lando-I, M-Gardevoir, your usual special hitters.

Kyurem-B:

So as you mentioned you literally don't use Dragon Claw considering the coverage you get with the other 3 moves. What I've been personally using on a similar set that you can try is Roost > Dragon Claw. This allows you to not just die from life orb recoil and hazard damage, while being able to consistently keep Kyurem-B going to utilize its wall breaking potential. Use 29 IVs in HP so that you hit a Life Orb number to reduce Life Orb recoil, with your current spread. I would also consider going Naughty Nature > Lonely Nature as Kyurem-B is prone to getting hit with more physical attacks than special ones, and most special ones you still wouldn't handle well in the first place.

M-Venusuar:

Minor change with 0 IVs in Attack, you still maintain HP Fire with this change.

Skarmory:

Your lack of Stealth Rocks I think is kind of holding you back in terms of applying pressure to your opponent and being able to maintain said pressure. You have the option of running Stealth Rock > Whirlwind so that you have this basic necessity at cost of phasing out something things like M-Gyarados or just stuff you generally wouldn't be able to phase out like CM Clefables running Flamethrower. Your team also has a general weakness to Magnezone which by default includes the cores that it resides on, with things like Lando-T and M-Pinsir. I would run Shed Shell > Leftovers as right now Skarmory is your only defensive buffer to not getting swept by things like M-Pinsir. This will allow you to not be trapped by opposing Magnezones and will relieve some of the pressure for Skarmory, as well as giving you the surprise advantage of switching to something like your Lando-T.

Landorus-T:

Your team does have a bit of an M-Ttar weakness, minor M-Gyarados weakness, and a small Greninja one as well. Superpower > Knock Off will allow you to handle these issues more consistently than just relying on U-Turn to pick off damage when you can just heavily damage or outright KO them. With the inclusion of Stealth Rocks added it will be much more easier to net KOs with this particular change. Losing Knock Off isn't detrimental as Thundurus is already occupying the role of handling the Latis and Gengar with Knock Off. 4 Def > 4 HP to reduce the damage you'll be receiving every time you switch into rocks.

That's all I have to say, good luck Ahabb.

Last edited:
Yo Ahabb, looks nice though I would like to recommend a better Kyurem-Black set. Try Substitute | Ice Beam | Earth Power | and Fusion Bolt Hasty/Naive with 52 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpA / 100 Spe as your evs. This set gives you max amount of subs and you can OHKO Char-Y and let you outspeed and substitute on Rotom-W and then Two Hit KO it with Earth Power, And let's not forget the obvious it ignores Thick Fat which is great for you if you encounter another M-Venusaur allowing you to Two Hit KO it with Ice Beam. Other then that I totally agree with AM145.

Edit: Leftovers as item

Proof Of Kyurem-Black's Destruction
104 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 298-352 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 176-208 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 236-282 (64.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)