DPP Machamp (Sub Bulk Up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This is a set for Machamp i have been using in the Standard OU metagame for a while. With the proper support i have found it very lethal to other teams. By using a move which not only boost offense but defense as well behind a sub he has swept countless teams for me.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/machamp

move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Dynamic Punch
move 4: Stone Edge / Payback
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
ability: No Guard
nature: Impish
evs: 252 hp/ 84 atk/174 def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With stall or "semi-stall" being today's most dominant style of play, Machamp is an effective choice for many teams in the current metagame. Add a substitute into the mix, a few attack boosts, some defense boosts, and Machamp becomes a powerful threat.idea of this set is to take powerful hits behind a substitute while attempting to set up at least one Bulk Up, and then sweep. The main method of getting these boosts is to switch in on things that cannot hurt Machamp too badly; Machamp now has at least one safe turn to use Substitute. At this point you can Bulk Up or attack based on what you think the opponent's next move may be Dynamicpunch is extremely useful as 100 base power stab, plus it just about guarntees your opponent will be confused. Stone edge is for perfect type coverage. It is preferred over payback, because it hits Salamence and gyarados harder while still handling ghost types. No Guard is the ability needed so that Stone edge and Dynamicpunch have 100% accurcy. </p>

<p>Item choice is mainly preference for this set. Leftovers will allow you to put up for substitutes, because you will hopefully heal off the 25% sacrifice while behind the sub. Lum Berry can prove versatile though, allowing you to take a sleep inducing move or a Will-o-wisp coming your way from an opponent who might be able to take more than one hit. Since this set packs less punch than your average machamp entry hazards are highly recommended. Great options are steel types that can set up entry hazards. Skarmory, Jirachi, and Forretress are perfect with synergy and tasks for machamp. Jirachi is recommended because he could also wish pass to machamp in case something goes wrong, while setting up stealth rocks, though it is not necessary. Swampert could be considered as a stealth rocker, because he deals with gliscor who gives Machamp problems. </p>

<p>Since some common threats to machamps sweeps include salamence, gyarados, and scizor a good partner could be starmie. He can spin away entry hazards such as toxic spikes which ruin him while having perfect type coverage to deal with Machamps checks and counters. For extra support on his bulk Light Screen and Reflect will allow machamp to get the more than nessicary bulk ups behind a sub to sweep through teams easily. Paralysis is appreciated as well seeing as no speed evs are being invested into this set, not to mention machamp isnt speedy to begin with. Partners that could be added to the team to provide these things are Cresselia, Uxie, or Celebi. Any pokemon that tricks annoys all Machamps and this one is no exclusion. To deal with this it is highly suggested that you carry a pokemon ,which you are not afraid to have a choice item or status inducing items (i.e flame orb), switch on to. A good choice is latias </p>

<p>Really any pokemon that resists fighting and has good physical defenses become an issue to machamp (unless he has sufficent bulk up boosts), so you should make sure you have something to take care of pokemon such as Rotom-A, Dusknoir, Gliscor, etc. Fire punch or Ice punch can be considered for different type coverage. If you want to try and abuse the Guts ability then switch in Close Combat for Dynampich punch though its not recommended. </p>
<p>At this point Impish nature With the given Evs Machamp can take many hits and still dose out good damamge. </p>
<p>Common switch ins and/or checks/counters to machamp are shown below with damage calulations on what their attacks would do with the given EVs.</>

<p>Adamant Scizor Bullet Punch vs. Impish Machamp : 37.5% - 44.5%
Naughty Salamence Outrage vs. Impish Machamp : 66.4% - 78.1%
Mild Salamence Draco Meteor vs. Impish Machamp : 83.9% - 99.2%
Modest Rotom-H Shadow Ball vs. Impish Machamp : 37% - 43.8%
Bold Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. Impish Machamp : 32% - 37.8%
Timid Leftovers Latias Dragon Pulse vs. Impish Machamp : 39.3% - 46.4%
Adamant Gyarados Waterfall vs. Impish Machamp : 32.8% - 38.5%
</p>

<p>After one bulk up though.
Adamant Scizor Bullet Punch vs. Impish Machamp +1 : 25.3% - 29.9%
Naughty Salamence Outrage vs. Impish Machamp +1 : 44% - 51.8%
Adamant Gyarados Waterfall vs. Impish Machamp +1 : 21.9% - 25.8%
</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I only briefly glanced at this, but I can immediately tell you that you aren't following the proper format for these analysises. Take a look at the "Analysis Workshop Rules" thread by Darkie to find the proper format.

EDIT: Well, I'll just keep checking back and when you fix it I would be happy to edit for grammar :)

yond

mitt game strong
Sorry i was not clear on whether it had to be in the exact order or if it just had to include the information. I was looking over other contributions and did not notice it in that format for "New set" threads.

<p> Dynamicpunch as usual is extremly useful with 100 base power stab, plus it just about guarntees your opponent will be confused. Stone edge is for perfect type coverage. It is preferred over payback, because it hits Salamence and gyarados harder while still handling ghost types. No Guard is the ability needed so that Stone edge and Dynamicpunch have 100% accurcy. </p>
I would suggest instead is extremely useful as instead.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a set for Machamp i have been using in the Standard OU metagame for a while. With the proper support i have found it very lethal to other teams. By using a move which not only boost offense but defense as well behind a sub he has swept countless teams for me.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/machamp

move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Dynamic Punch
move 4: Stone Edge / Payback
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
ability: No Guard
nature: Impish
evs: 252 hp/ 84 atk/176 def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With stall or "semi-stall" being today's most dominant style of play, Machamp is an effective choice for many teams in the current metagame. Add a substitute into the mix, a few attack boosts, some defense boosts, and Machamp becomes a powerful threat.</p>

<p>The idea of this set is to take powerful hits behind a substitute while attempting to set up at least one Bulk Up, and then sweep. The main method of getting these boosts is to switch in on things that cannot hurt Machamp too badly; Machamp now has at least one safe turn to use Substitute. At this point you can Bulk Up or attack based on what you think the opponent's next move may be.</p>
I would think about combining some of the paragraphs, as many could go together, and the large amount of short paragraphs this analysis currently has looks sort of messy.

Looking at the extremely large amount of fixes I had to do in just two small paragraphs, I think that you might want to go back and re-read your analysis. Many things are grammatically incorrect and the writing is just plain not too good. I recommend you look at some other analysises in the analysis workshop to see the quality of writing that is expected here; links to ones I have written are in my signature, and there are a large number of other analysises in the forum.

Thank you!

This set has 512 EVs.

Also, I would like to see some logs of this sets effectiveness. What advantage does this set have over the regular bulk up Machamp. The lack of coverage really hurts, as even though you can block status with substitute, you are still outsped by the most common users of status inducing moves (Rotom-A, Celebi ect.) and hurt significantly unless you have payback. Even then you are just setup for flying types like Salamence ect. While this is very situational, it is a really common condition on bulky offense/balanced teams.

Not the best of reasoning... but yeah.

Starmie is not a good partner for the reasons you listed.

Since some common threats to machamps sweeps include salamence, gyarados, and scizor a good partner could be starmie.
DD LO Mence OHKOs Starmie with LO Outrage, Gyarados DDs and OHKOs with Life Orb Stone Edge and Scizor just lols at starmie unless its Life Orb which proves my point of the first two running right through Starmie.

--

Very poor writeup overall.

First of all, you really need to read the "Standards for Grammar, Spelling, etc." thread. As a general rule of thumb, all Pokemon names are capitalized as well as Pokemon terms like "EV", "Def", and move names.

Finally, if you want to suggest a new Machamp set you should do it in this thread (there is already a Machamp revamp open). I'd suggest lurking around a bit to learn the ropes before posting another set.

yond

mitt game strong
That was a typo thanks for catching it.

I can see i did this wrong anyways. If a mod sees this and finds it necessary to delete i understand.

Sorry =/

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll see to incorporate this in my revamp. RL posted something about it (though it was a lead) and it looks fairly solid from my perspective. Payback will likely fall as the first option (Stone Edge is for the Flying-types, but most of them hate Confusion anyway while Rotom-A does not fear such a thing).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Supposedly there's no logs for this. I'll close it and re-open it if someone provides effecient logs via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)