Do You Guys Buy Your Games...

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nah, I buy my games but often, I download a ROM just to play the first part of the game as a preview deciding to whether I should buy the game or not.

The mistake people make when buying games is this.

1) Before a game is released, you are able to pre-order it. At this time the price of the game will be at it's maximum. If you wait for the game to actually be released, the price instore or online will normally reduce up to $10 or £10 less.

2) Most games drop in value very quickly after release. Within 2 weeks to a month, a games value will reduce by around 3rd of it's original price. Instores they won't reduce as much, however you'll find that online, namely amazon.com/co.uk, they do.

3) Don't get caught up in the hype. If you had waited to buy Street Fighter 4 or Halo 3, would it have made that much diffrence? I'm sure you wou'd have been at the same skill level you are right now...

1) If you wait for the game...the price instore or online will normally reduce up to $10 or £10 less.

2) Most games drop in value very quickly after release...you'll find that online, namely amazon.com/co.uk, they do.

3) Don't get caught up in the hype.
This is what I'm doing.

For example, I just bought games such as Battlefield: Bad Company, Bioshock, Orange Box, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and even Mass Effect for under $20 each, or the high budgeted titles such as Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3 at around or under $30. These games has been released for roughly 2-4 years ago, but I guess you could say that I might have bought them when they were at around $30 or $40 too if I hadn't waited to get an Xbox 360 in December of 2009--which also went from $399.99 to $299.99 when they got rid of the Xbox 360 Pro.

That's like $360 shaved off.

When I was a child, I had more time than money. But nowadays, I definitely have more money than time.
^ This is so true. As a kid my only console was a Gameboy Pocket, and my only games were Pokemon Blue and Game & Watch Gallery (I think that's the name?) for about a year. It is ridiculous how may times I played through Pokemon Blue because it was the only game I had (parents didn't like games, I had no money lol)

Now I have ample money to buy games but I hardly have time to play them :(.

My uncle (cool uncle who plays video games!) bought be one of those flashcards with 50 or so DS games on the memory card a few years back for Christmas.

I've downloaded roms for gameboy/gba games that I own though. Not sure if that's legal but I own the game anyway.

The only games I think I've pirated are Earthbound and Mother 3. Would play Earthbound again on VC though :3

I personally have no interest in whether or not pirating is legal and whether there are any loopholes etc; if I would have to pay for something in a shop, then I will pay for it. Otherwise, it's unfair to companies as they have worked hard to develop music/films/games etc but I'm getting the bonus for free. If everyone downloaded, then the games companies would go bankrupt and there'd be nothing to download; it might not bother others to be on the moral low ground but I don't count myself among them. Also, there has been argument about the difference between downloading and shoplifting. My view is that the actual hardware is cheap - the company can easily make more copies. The majority of the price of a game is for the actual game, so there really is a fine line between shoplifting and downloading. You can hardly justify the difference by saying that with shoplifting you get a cartridge and box - those can be cheaply replaced; it's your custom that the company will be losing, and this holds true for downloading as well.

after buying about 15 ds games or so, it's gotten to the point where I don't really care anymore. If a big name game such as pokemon or some sort of 2d side scrolling metroid were to come out, I'd buy it. Anything else that I think looks interesting but I'm not convinced (such as a game like infinite space) I just get my girlfriend to download on her R4 (I'm cheap, shut up) and then I borrow it.

after buying about 15 ds games or so, it's gotten to the point where I don't really care anymore. If a big name game such as pokemon or some sort of 2d side scrolling metroid were to come out, I'd buy it. Anything else that I think looks interesting but I'm not convinced (such as a game like infinite space) I just get my girlfriend to download on her R4 (I'm cheap, shut up) and then I borrow it.
That sounds kind of backwards. It is like refusing to steal from a Walmart, and instead stealing from a mom-and-pop store.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have never downloaded a game before. I buy all of my games, most of them from Gamestop and Best Buy. It's really simple: Buy the game, the company will do well and make more; pirate it, and they will go out of business and there will be no more games.

I either buy my games NEW, or don't buy at all (ROMs). If I like a game enough to buy it, I buy new to support the devs.

I either buy my games NEW, or don't buy at all (ROMs). If I like a game enough to buy it, I buy new to support the devs.
That's a point that hasn't been raised previously actually. I've bought a fair few games second hand. My Pokemon Emerald and Leaf Green are both off eBay (and are genuine, though the first Emerald I got was fake so I returned it). If I want to buy a PS2 game nowadays there are few good new ones (since the console's last-gen) so second-hand is the only way to go. (Few months ago I picked up Half-life, MGS2, and Dragon Quest: JotCK, £10 for the three. Only one I've touched yet is half-life though, I've been playing my DS much more than my PS2 lately).
I've rarely bought a recent release second-hand though. If I'm paying, I may as well pay a bit extra to get new if I can.

Also, does anyone rent? I've never done so, because I tend to play each game for a longer period of time than I could rent for, unless it's awful.

I used to have gamefly but canclled after a few months. Basically I get it every now and then when I have some free time. Then I plow through a bunch of games. Then I cancel .

Pretty much i download it first so if I like the game I buy it to support the devs... as a game developer I know the work they have to do a game and always that is possible I try to pay for them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)