SM OU Decidueye Tho #Peaked 34

Hi everyone ! You probably don’t know me, but I wrote a few months ago my very first RMT around Golisopod, and I was honestly shocked by the positiveness of the returns ! So just for that: thank you guys!
That's really what drove me to write this new RMT today, this time around another gimmick Pokemon which is a personal favorite: Decidueye.

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Knowing that the goal of this team would be to make Decidueye viable in OU, I first tried this mon with many different sets and random teammates in order to see what it was good at. I very soon noticed that Decidueye really excels at trapping/luring some Walls like Toxapex, Skarmory, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Landorus Therian, Magearna, Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, Mega Scizor or Magnezone, by Swords Dancing up on the switch, and then OHKOing them with a Sinister Arrow Raid next turn.

For example:
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 321-378 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

It’s also one of the best Stallbreaker in the game right now, as it can pretty much kill any Pokemon in a Stall team (even Shedinja or the Unaware mons like Quagsire or Clefable) and doesn't fear being trapped by Dugtrio next turn.

With that in mind, I instantly thought about Decidueye when Mega Beedrill was announced, as it really appreciates Landorus, Toxapex or Skarmory being gone for example. Furthermore, now that Beedrill is not forced to run Protect anymore, I thought that it would be able to have its own niche, even if Pheromosa is a thing, as Beedrill can also act as a fantastic « Late Game Tailwind Setter ».

As a result, the synergy between Decidueye and Beedrill is pretty cool, as Decidueye can trap the Walls to let Beedrill sweep, or Beedrill can set the Tailwind up if Decidueye can sweep better. An Adamant nature with max speed enables you to outspeed Pheromosa, but also any scarfed mon that has 95 Speed BS or less under the Tailwind, which includes Tapu Lele, Landorus, Kyurem Black and Excadrill of course.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off / Drill Run
- Tailwind

Mega Beedrill is truly an excellent offensive pivot, that can also Revenge Kill easily some very common threats like Greninja or Tapu Koko. But as I said before, the toy that truly sets him up appart from Pheromosa is Tailwind, so I had to find a real « Tailwind Abuser ».

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Tapu Lele is clearly the best when it comes to abuse Tailwind. Being able to hit harder than a truck with a very decent coverage, while laughing at priority moves, your opponents will always be caught into 3 turns of pure nightmare. However, to do so, you’ll have to kill or severely damage the following mons: Heatran, Celesteela, Skarmory, Magearna, Mega Metagross and Magnezone. And as I previously explained, Decidueye is incredibly good to damage the majority of those Steel Types, but not Heatran and Mega Metagross…

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Against all expectations, I didn’t choose Dugtrio, even if I clearly wanted to trap Heatran and Mega Metagross. Indeed, I opted for Magnezone because Decidueye only has one Z move, and when my opponent has a Skarmory/Celesteela but also a Pokemon like Landorus, I really enjoy being able to keep my Sinister Arrow Raid for the latter, which is the main problem of Beedrill. And by the way, I chose Knock Off over Drill Run on Beedrill as the big majority of the Skarmory that are played in a Stall Team are packing a Shed Shell.
Then, HP Ground is a surprisingly decent option this gen to trap other Magnezones, but also Heatrans, as most of them are not SpeDef anymore, but played more offensively.
But why Choice Scarf ? Simple: just to get all the damage that I need on Mega Metagross, as Volt Switch + Rocky Helmet damage will put them into the KO Range of my Tapu Lele’s HP Fire. Finally, Choice Scarf Mag is also a very good check to Mega Pinsir and Charizard Y, that were both beginning to be a bit frightening.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Once my offensive core was finished, the teambuilding was pretty much over. I needed the Stealth Rocks, but didn’t want to go for an Hyper Offensive lead. Landorus Therian with a Rocky Helmet was a pretty obvious choice, as absolutely any team in the current meta appreciates the support that it brings. HP Ice is also crucial in this set, as it enables me to severely damage my opponent’s Landorus T, which is a must for Beedrill, and I really like using a Relaxed nature in order to get a slower U-Turn versus another Landorus T.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Haze
- Defog

Tapu Fini was also a very obvious Pokemon to add into the team, as I wanted something that would be able to control the Entry Hazards, as well as switching into some mons like Pheromosa, Greninja, Rain Teams’ Kingdra, Keldeo and Gyarados. Once again, the set is very classic, but I chose Haze over Taunt, as my Tapu Lele already packs it, and that I need Haze in order to have a chance to win against Autotomize Celesteela or Volcarona.
Because Volcarona is indeed the biggest threat of this team, and can usually set up very easily a Quiver Dance against Tapu Fini. But once it is at +1, it’s pretty much gg, which means that I am forced to spam Haze until it kills me, and then revenge kill it with Beedrill directly, or by setting up a Tailwind and then sweeping with Tapu Lele the following turns.

So here’s the team. Once again, it’s far from being perfect, and I don’t consider myself a « great player ». I have much less time to dedicate to this game than a few years ago, and I honestly got bored of the « Tryhard Laddering ». Today, my only goal is to have fun with some unusual Pokemons that I love, and I try my best to make them work as much as possible in the OU tier. If you feel the same and wanna have some fun with a surprisingly viable Decidueye in OU, I really couldn’t encourage you enough to give this team at least one single try ! :D

Capture d’écran 2017-03-15 à 22.32.16 - copie.png

Last edited:
And while we’re talking about Decidueye, I just cannot resist to showcase a more personal set that I found both surprisingly fun and effective in OU.

Decidueye @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Spirit Shackle
- Curse
- Roost
- Protect

With this set, Decidueye can very easily trap any wall like Clefable (!!!), Toxapex, Tangrowth, Zygarde, Celesteela, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Venusaur, and Amoongus. They are all some very common switches into Decidueye, and all it will take you is to Spirit Shackle, then click on a «regular» Curse and spam Protect / Roost, knowing that those mons can’t damage you too much.

But thanks to the Z-Move, Decidueye can also trap absolutely any other Pokemon of your choice in the same battle, as long as it doesn’t OHKO you !
For example:
Turn 1: You threaten a mon like Tapu Fini. The guy is more than likely going to switch out if you have something like Ash Greninja in the back for example, so Click Spirit Shackle on the expected switch (which usually does around 25%)
Turn 2: if the opposing Pokemon doesn't OHKO you, you will be able to get your Z-Curse regardless of the damage that it did —> -25%
Turn 3: click Protect —> -25%
Turn 4: Double Protect —> Even if it doesn’t work, your opponent will take 25% again, and will more than likely go down, as he took 75% of curse + Spirit Shackle.

It’s truly an evil set. I’ve tested it into many teams and it works surprisingly well ! The only reason why I’m not using it into this team is that I really appreciate having an extra potential Tailwind abuser, but also getting some crucial damage on Magearna (which is Tapu Lele’s worst nightmare) as it can just Volt Switch versus my Curse set.

Note: Z-Curse goes through Taunt contrary to regular Curse, which is amazing if Fini decides to stay in and taunts you !

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Crunch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Decidueye: 294-348 (81.6 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Decidueye: 208-246 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Decidueye: 170-200 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Decidueye: 258-306 (71.6 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Decidueye: 254-300 (70.5 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Decidueye: 295-348 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Outrage vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Decidueye: 240-283 (66.6 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hey man!

I really like this team since it has decidueye which is very cool and gimmick in my opinion, being able to sweep in lategame thanks to its stabs + swords dance :D sooo lets rate this team!
Firstly, you are very Tapu Koko weak and I suggest you to use Assault Vest Magnezone(
), in order to check koko and pretty much others special attackers such as Tapu Lele, Greninja, Magearna, Tapu Fini and stuff. Also this Zone set won't let you get locked in a move and you can just bluff and Volt Switch into some potential sweepers such as Decidueye and sweep. This helps when it traps Celesteela for example, and lele will appreciate it for sure lol. I really like the Mirror Coat idea, but if you want you can slash it to Thunderbolt n_n. Other moves are basically the same for every Magnezone set, Volt Switch brings momentum, HP Fire is for hitting those steels like Ferrothorn, Forretress (a bit gimmick but worth saying it) and stuff and Flash Cannon is the strongest steel stab for zone :)

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Mirror Coat

Secondly, I suggest you to run Scarf Tapu Lele (
), since now, with AV Zone, you don't have rly much speed and any potential setupper like Mega Charizard X w/ +1 speed, with lando weakened, or just a scarf tapu lele will sweep easily. This will help you to gain more speed and of course to revenge kill threatening mons. Set is very common, there isnt much to say, but you can slash Focus Blast with Psyshock to hit Chansey better.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Fire

Finally, we lost a good stallbreaker and wallbreaker so we gotta add an SD Rocky Helmet Landorus-Therian (
) . So we add a strong wallbreaker being able to weak or kill some threats such as Skarmory in order to let Decidueye sweep. That's pretty much it, you lose the u-turn but still you help some mates to sweep.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

This is all. I hope I helped, good luck with the team!

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi Haken!!!!!!

Your teams reflect my approach to the game and I've really enjoyed looking at your RMTs. The idea of using decidueye and tailwind beedrill+lele is just fantastic!! I can only say congratulations!!

I've imported your team and made some changes because:

-changes like empo's suggestion are not worth in an original team like yours, because mons like lando fini mag work well with other standard stuff. I think that you must build either full tryhard hem standard,or full cool combos. It's definitely not a matter of coolness actually: but some weird mons work well only when paired with another weird mon !! Why? Very simple: if you use lando fini, well not using metagross or pheromosa with them isn't worth it. But now, you decide to use decidueye: think a bit and you discover that it will work well with another weird mon like zapdos

-I feel your team loses momentum with magnezone lando and fini. You should go for some HO, when you have beedrill decidueye and lele!!

So I suggest a team that went almost undefeated! A friend used it in smogon tours and won easily !! Grats To Jinover !! I got lots of wins and friends found it super cool and strong. I've added one more tailwinder.... If you want to use it, it's for you haken^^ guaranteed fun and 0 frustrating battles !!

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Tailwind

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Jinover's battles easy wins:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-259351 : tailwind sweep x))
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-259466 : excadrill sash just wrecks the oppo

me ktutverde:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-549215860 I have the advantage during the whole match
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-549203230 : I beat stall 4-0 decidueye is amazing, excatly as you said (vs unaware clefable)

I decided to use
-static offensive zapdos with tailwind>magnezone
-sash rocks drill >landorus
-scarf keldeo >fini

Zapdos+beedrill is insane ; keldeo RKs everything and takes on greninja, and drill allows to keep rocks on the field for the whole game which allowed me to win many times
It works wonders !!! Give it a try :)

And grats again your teambuilding ideas are genius! I hope I'm not too... invasive with my changes but I did them cuz your team is super interesting, really!

Last edited:
Haha wow thank you sooo much guys, once again I'm absolutely blown away by the positivity of this community !

Empo:
You're right man, an AV Magnezone is really ideal for this team, as Tapu Lele is especially hard to switch into for example. And since Magnezone was my check to Mega Pinsir, Scarf Lele could do the job instead: that really makes sense ! :) The only thing that kinda hurts me is that Tapu Lele's main goal was to sweep under the Tailwind... But I understood with your Landorus part, that we have 2 different and interesting approaches to this team:
- Mine is to Trap/Kill Tapu Lele's counters with Decidueye and Magnezone to let her sweep under the Tailwind at the end of the battle. Which means that Decidueye is not supposed to be the Tailwind sweeper (even if it happens sometimes): it's the Stallbreaker, and that's why I absolutely don't need a SD Landorus if you think about it this way. It's also why I'm using Scarf Mag: to make all the damage I need on Metagross for Lele.
- But your approach is very interesting too, as it seems that you want Decidueye to be the main Tailwind sweeper contrary to me, and Trap/Kill its counters with the help of Magnezone and SD Landorus. And you're right, if you're thinking this way, Scarf Magnezone is really irrelevant as Decidueye can very easily kill Metagross for example.
It's really 2 different playstyles, and I'm sure that your version of the team might also work very well. I've always played this team around Lele but I will try your version which is more focused around Decidueye for sure ! Thanks for your comment sir ! :)

Ktütverde:
Haha thank you for being so supportive with me man, I really appreciate your comments, you're actually the main person I was mentioning in the intro that gave me the motivation to do this second RMT ! :D
It's funny that you're suggesting me to go HO, because this is what this team was supposed to be at first, with a lead Mew with Stealth Rocks, Taunt, Tailwind and Explosion. But sadly, I really suck both at building and playing HO, which is why the team gradually became a Bulky Offense ! x)
That's quite a lot of changes that you're suggesting me, and they honestly make sense, but by doing that, I fear that the team might become a bit too weak to Autotomize Celesteela and Mega Pinsir for example, as Zapdos is offensive and can't really handle the latter at +2. But I will definitely give it a try, it sounds really cool on paper.

Welp, once again, thanks to both of you guys, this is what encourages me to make more RMTs ! :)

Last edited:
Sup Haken!

I really like the idea of your team and I think it works great. Decidueye and Beedrill make a great combo. I really only have one thing that might help, and that is a little bit better of a Decidueye set. I was having troubles with M-Metagross while using your team so I decided that you Decidueye at full health should be able to stop it. Also you didn't really mention speed in your Decidueye desciption so if you want to outspeed something I would edit that too.

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Hey MultiCow, thanks for your rate ! :D

Haha not gonna lie, I'm a bit surprised that you had troubles with Mega Metagross with this team ! :s Idk man, the combo Scarf Mag + Rocky Helmet Lando is deadly if you want to trap it ! For example: hard switch into Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch, then Volt Switch next turn into Lando: Metagross will kill it, but will take 1 or 2 Rocky Helmet damage (it will depend if it has EQ or Hammer Arm). Then you're free to trap it next turn with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch ! :)

On paper, I'm really not against giving Decidueye some more Bulk, but the problem is that, even under the Tailwind, it would be way too slow ! With your set, Decidueye doesn't even outspeed Ash Greninja, and obviously not Mega Zam, Scarf Lele, Scarf Drill, etc...
But I'm more concerned about the Impish nature :S As I explained with my calcs, Decidueye really needs its Adamant nature ! :)

+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 321-378 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Imagine: without the Adamant nature, Toxapex would be able to survive, and then, your opponent is free to switch out (--> Regenerator): Decidueye would suck at Stallbreaking ! So, if you can't sweep under the Tailwind neither because you're too slow, well I don't really get what this Decidueye set is good at honestly ^^

Seriously, I don't think that Metagross is such a huge threat to this team and would force me to run a Bulkier Decidueye set. Try the aforementioned scenario with Mag and Lando man, I've got to say that it's a pretty comfortable way to deal with it !
Thanks again mate, I appreciate the help ! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)