Move Dazzling Gleam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Dazzling Gleam
Type: Fairy
Effect: No secondary effects. Can target multiple foes in a double or triple battle.
10 Power Points
80 Base Power
Accuracy: 100%

First time poster here. Noticed there wasn't a thread for the only Fairy TM move in the game. I think it will replace a ton of coverage moves that were considered nearly essential on some Pokemon. Take Starmie for example. Most builds recommend 1 or 2 coverage moves for it. Dazzling Gleam deals with Dragon types (replacing Ice Beam), Fighting types (replacing Psychic/Psyshock), and it also gives Dark types a new reason to fear Starmie. What do you think? I'm not sure if the full compatibility list for this move is 100% confirmed so this is just an assumption that a lot more mons will benefit from having this move.

Last edited:
This move its low enough in Power that most of the time their STAB move will rival it, like in the Starmie example. It will only be used for fairies that need the stab or as desperate coverage.

tyranitar doesn't give a crap about non-STAB dazzling gleam and neither do dragons (except hydreigon), while fighting types are hit harder by psychic (except the dark/fighting types). starmie would rather be able to cover grass types and hit dnite / chomp / mence for quad damage.

even guys like gengar who would have ghost/fairy coverage with this move prefers focus blast, because again ttar and bisharp don't give a crap about dazzling gleam

Take Starmie for example. Most builds recommend 1 or 2 non-STAB coverage moves for it. Dazzling Gleam cover against Dragon types (replacing Ice Beam), Fighting types (replacing Psychic/Psyshock), and it also gives Dark types a bigger reason to fear Starmie. What do you think? I'm not sure if the full compatibility list for this move is 100% confirmed so this is just an assumption that a lot more mons will benefit from having this move.
252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 106-126 (26.23 - 31.18%) -- possible 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 218-258 (53.96 - 63.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 218-258 (67.28 - 79.62%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 520-612 (160.49 - 188.88%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah um a lot of the time you kinda need the power of the other move...

I've been liking this move as an alternative to Focus Miss on pokes that learn both such as Alakazam and Gengar. It's far more reliable at the cost of damage, and also retains dark coverage.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been liking this move as an alternative to Focus Miss on pokes that learn both such as Alakazam and Gengar. It's far more reliable at the cost of damage, and also retains dark coverage.
Gengar needs Focus Blast to deal with Tyranitar. We're not talking about a tiny bit of damage here, we're talking about a difference of 40 base power and then the whole thing doubled again.

252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 106-126 (26.23 - 31.18%) -- possible 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 218-258 (53.96 - 63.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 218-258 (67.28 - 79.62%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 520-612 (160.49 - 188.88%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah um a lot of the time you kinda need the power of the other move...
For the move, I used 80 BP Dragon Special for use against Dragon Types to simulate Dazzling Gleam. Used Showdown's Damage calculator.

252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 292-344 (69.52 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 252- SpD Salamence: 258-304 (77.94 - 91.84%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite: 184-218 (47.66 - 56.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

While what you said is true for some pokemon, others really enjoy having it as coverage(as shown above). It has its uses, and can be quite strong in the right hands. While Roserade has the option of HP Ice, it really would rather have better coverage with a Fire/Ghost/Fairy/Grass movepool(with specs, at least) or Grass/Fairy/Poison/Ghost. In fact, Poison/Ghost/Fairy offers perfect neutral coverage from what I'm seeing. It certainly helps out on some pokemon. HP Fairy is an option instead, but that kind of depends on the IV spread, as a loss in Speed would not help Roserade that much. Did anyone ever figure that out?

I'm considering swapping Ice Beam for Dazzling Gleam on my Lanturn but I'm not sure how much help this may be since a lot of popular Ice-weak Pokemon are doubly so to it (Salamence and Garchomp for example). It gives a different sort of variety to your coverage but I feel like it doesn't give a lot of focus to particular threats.

I'm considering swapping Ice Beam for Dazzling Gleam on my Lanturn but I'm not sure how much help this may be since a lot of popular Ice-weak Pokemon are doubly so to it (Salamence and Garchomp for example). It gives a different sort of variety to your coverage but I feel like it doesn't give a lot of focus to particular threats.
It leaves you walled by grass-types. BoltBeam has that name because it really is something, the coverage is amazing.

I've always used Lanturn as a pivot with Parafusion. But idk what you are using it for so idk how Dazzling Gleam would work.

Dazzling Gleam is actually really useful for Psychic types. Yes, Dazzling Gleam is useless against T-Tar, but it's much more useful against other Dark types, namely Greninja. Espeon probably benefits the most from it since it can't learn Aura Sphere or Focus Miss, so it has to either rely on Dazzling Gleam or 60BP HP Fight

Gengar needs Focus Blast to deal with Tyranitar. We're not talking about a tiny bit of damage here, we're talking about a difference of 40 base power and then the whole thing doubled again.
Focus Blast doesn't OHKO Tyranitar now anyways, everyone's about to be running Special Wall with Assault Vest...

I've always used Lanturn as a pivot with Parafusion. But idk what you are using it for so idk how Dazzling Gleam would work.

Dazzling Gleam is actually really useful for Psychic types. Yes, Dazzling Gleam is useless against T-Tar, but it's much more useful against other Dark types, namely Greninja. Espeon probably benefits the most from it since it can't learn Aura Sphere or Focus Miss, so it has to either rely on Dazzling Gleam or 60BP HP Fight
Greninja lols at your Dazzling Gleam as it Proteans into something else. True, it might as well just blast you with Dark Pulse, but most Greninja sets barely even carry other STAB outside Hydro Pump due to the sheer power of the move, but Greninja typically carries Shadow Sneak instead of Dark Pulse for STAB Ghost and spinblocking / immunity to normal/fight / avoiding weaknesses.

Fairy is resisted by Fire, Poison and Steel.

All which are hit by Ground super effectively.
Psychic, Fire and Fighting hit one super effectively, one not very effectively and one neutrally.
Water hits one super effectively and two neutrally.

Those are the best combos I can think right now.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I don't see why people are just slapping this move randomly on Pokemon that already have similar and efficient enough attacks (or just plain freaking necessary). It just really bugs me every time I see a Gengar or Alakazam using Dazzling Gleam instead of Focus Miss (disclaimer: I'm using "focus Miss" because I'm perfectly aware of how much this move got you losses, kiddies, so quip up), perhaps in hopes of having a more accurate move to use against Dark-types.

Having used a variety of Dark-types with decent bulk, I sorta just have to go "tsk" when that one Alakazam could have KO'd my Tyranitar after SR instead of having to wait two turns to do it.

Fairy is resisted by Fire, Poison and Steel.

All which are hit by Ground super effectively.
Psychic, Fire and Fighting hit one super effectively, one not very effectively and one neutrally.
Water hits one super effectively and two neutrally.

Those are the best combos I can think right now.
Poison/Ghost/Fairy works, too.

Honestly I don't see why people are just slapping this move randomly on Pokemon that already have similar and efficient enough (or just plain freaking necessary). It just really bugs me every time I see a Gengar or Alakazam using Dazzling Gleam instead of Focus Miss (disclaimer: I'm using "focus Miss" because I'm perfectly aware of how much this move got you losses, kiddies, so quip up), perhaps in hopes of having a more accurate move to use against Dark-types.

Having used a variety of Dark-types with decent bulk, I sorta just have to go "tsk" when that one Alakazam could have KO'd my Tyranitar after SR instead of having to wait two turns to do it.
Yeah using it on Alakazam or Gengar's kind of stupid. But I still think it's the best option for Dark coverage for Espeon. Signal Beam is weaker, HP Fighting is weak, and Grass Knot is unreliable.

Greninja lols at your Dazzling Gleam as it Proteans into something else. True, it might as well just blast you with Dark Pulse, but most Greninja sets barely even carry other STAB outside Hydro Pump due to the sheer power of the move, but Greninja typically carries Shadow Sneak instead of Dark Pulse for STAB Ghost and spinblocking / immunity to normal/fight / avoiding weaknesses.
on that same token why bother ever mentioning Greninja for any move
It can just protean into something else

on that same token why bother ever mentioning Greninja for any move
It can just protean into something else
I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. All I know is that you can't really carry a super effective move for Greninja if it carries the appropriate move and is faster than you.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. All I know is that you can't really carry a super effective move for Greninja if it carries the appropriate move and is faster than you.
Just an idle thought, mostly

I'm one of those guys using it on my Gengar. Honestly, I am enjoying it, but I will be throwing it away in favor of Focus Blast. The amount of times I could have won much faster is beyond count.

For the move, I used 80 BP Dragon Special for use against Dragon Types to simulate Dazzling Gleam. Used Showdown's Damage calculator.

252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 292-344 (69.52 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 252- SpD Salamence: 258-304 (77.94 - 91.84%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Roserade (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite: 184-218 (47.66 - 56.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

While what you said is true for some pokemon, others really enjoy having it as coverage(as shown above). It has its uses, and can be quite strong in the right hands. While Roserade has the option of HP Ice, it really would rather have better coverage with a Fire/Ghost/Fairy/Grass movepool(with specs, at least) or Grass/Fairy/Poison/Ghost. In fact, Poison/Ghost/Fairy offers perfect neutral coverage from what I'm seeing. It certainly helps out on some pokemon. HP Fairy is an option instead, but that kind of depends on the IV spread, as a loss in Speed would not help Roserade that much. Did anyone ever figure that out?
Some people believe that "perfect" coverage on a pokemon is conducive to success. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. HP Ice turns your 2HKOs with Stealth Rocks into OHKOs without Stealth Rocks. There is just no comparison. As for Dazzling Gleam, the move has very little utility on any pokemon. If I HAD to use fairy-type moves, it would only be Play Rough and/or Moonblast (and even then, only on Fairy-type pokemon). Dragon/Ground and Dragon/Flying are such common typings that you would be a fool not to capitalize on the 4x weakness. People will learn very soon that the Fairy-type is a new element, not a substitute for tried and true strategies. Bolt Beam will stay for good.

Some people believe that "perfect" coverage on a pokemon is conducive to success. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. HP Ice turns your 2HKOs with Stealth Rocks into OHKOs without Stealth Rocks. There is just no comparison. As for Dazzling Gleam, the move has very little utility on any pokemon. If I HAD to use fairy-type moves, it would only be Play Rough and/or Moonblast (and even then, only on Fairy-type pokemon). Dragon/Ground and Dragon/Flying are such common typings that you would be a fool not to capitalize on the 4x weakness. People will learn very soon that the Fairy-type is a new element, not a substitute for tried and true strategies. Bolt Beam will stay for good.
Depends on how the metagame turns out. Dragons have way more to fear now, and Fairy is just better coverage in general (Dark and Fighting types are about as common, while still hitting Dragons). Ice is great, but Fairy is legitimate as well. Not saying it's a replacement, but just another option. And it's just as valid, seeing as a Dragon cannot switch in, regardless of either move you carry.

Like I've said in the past, Fairy is very similar to the Water type. It's best qualities are defensive, but it's good offensively as well. And similar to Water, we won't see it used as often as Ice, Fire, Electric, Rock, Ground, and Fighting as non-STAB coverage moves, but it will see usage when there is a lack of a better option (Espeon and Sigilyph come to mind, as they both lack a strong Fighting move. Jumpluff could also use it if you are using it in an offensive role for some reason). The only difference is that Fairy doesn't have weather to back it up offensively or defensively

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)