"Crush them, Crush !" UU Offensive Team

"Bait and.. sweep !" UU Semi-Offensive Team

To be honest building offensive teams most of times give me few troubles as I always prefered to built stall or specialized teams. But sometimes you just get bored of some type of teams so I tried to come back and try my luck in building offensive team again. This one isn't that offensive, but most guys hits hard enough. In the past I had one quite effective OU one, so this time I wanted to built UU one. And for me UU tier is much more interesting then OU, so that was another reason to choose this tier to create team like this. Idea behind this team is simple - lure bulky waters and Registeel and/or Steelix to help Altaria in late-game rape. It works most of times, but I think it needs a bit of improvement. Anyway...

Ladies and gentlemen, take your seats and enjoy presentation ;). First on the stage today is...

Roserade @ Focus Sash

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 SpD
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Spikes
~ Stun Spore
~ Energy Ball
~ Sludge Bomb

I needed something with Spikes to make sure that I kill in one shot some defensive beasts like Milotic or Steelix when Altaria shows up and for some reason they're still alive or at full health. Froslass would be perfect here, but now when Frossy is a limbo something else needs to fit here. Unfortunately, Spikes and Sleep Powder are both illegal on the same set, so I put Stun Spore. Her job is simple - set up hazards, paralyze some foes and attack with her STAB attacks if neccesary. To be honest, I think to put here Drapion on lead and make her a bit more bulky. But as a lead she's quite fine. And it's really a shame that only few pokemon learns Spikes. I think to try here Omastar, as Typhlosion is really a bitch for my team to absorb those Scarfed Eruptions.

Anyway, thank you miss Roserade ;). Now it's time for the next actor of this show. Here it is... Poliwrath !

Poliwrath @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Substitute
~ Focus Punch
~ Toxic
~ Ice Punch

Bulky water bait. When Poliwrath shows up it just screams "Please, switch in, bulky water !" especially Slowbro, which is another quite dangerous opponent for Altaria. That Poliwrath just uses Substitute to check switch on it and from there I use one of this moves. Focus Punch is generally strong STAB which dents anything that doesn't resist it. I chose Ice Punch, as being walled by Roserade, Toxicroak or Venusaur isn't funny and Fight/Ice has better coverage then Fight/Water. And there's one more thing, which makes him effective in his job - Toxic. That Poliwrath works similar to BaitTran, but it's physical. It also absorbs water attacks aimed on Blaziken. You may say that Poliwrath is worse option then Azumarill - true, however... this guy counter better Rain Dance teams and stops probably most dangerous RD sweeper, Kabutops, against which Azumarill isn't the best as STAB Stone Edge will hurt alot. Without it, seeing Kabutops under rain means GG for me. Yeah, Ludicolo is still a bitch and I think it should be suspect.

EDIT: I think that SubPunching Blaziken with Toxic would be an interesting option here with higher speed and attack, but much smaller bulkiness. And it would also lure bulky waters like that Poliwrath.

Thank you for your little show, Poliwrath ;). It's time for another performer. This time something like super-man. Pokemon, which comes when I'm in deep trouble. Here it is... Blaziken !

Blaziken @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 76 Atk / 220 SpA / 212 Spe
Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
~ Superpower
~ Stone Edge
~ Fire Blast
~ Earthquake

Good, old Scarfed Blaziken. It comes when I'm in deep trouble or I need to revenge kill some annoying stuff. SuperPower is for obvious STAB, which hurts quite a bit and it stops most Clefables before they start being just annoying. And Blaziken is probably the only thing which stops Ursaring and Torterra from 6-0 my team. Stone Edge is for flyers, Fire Blast with 1-2 set of Spikes has a chance to 2OHKO most Slowbro. And Earthquake is for opponents like Drapion or Nidoqueen, which may give some troubles in some situations. Anyway, it's pretty standard and it's neccesary to save me from some dangerous stuff. But I'm ready to replace it for faster Scarfer or change his role in my team, probably for pure wall breaking.

Thanks for your speedy show, Blaziken ;). Another actor on the scene, please. This time something which stops stat-uppers from running rampant. I neeed badly phazer and Mismagius counter in one. In other words... Drapion ! Come here, show what you've got ;).

Drapion @ Leftovers

Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Atk
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
~ Knock Off
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Crunch
~ Whirlwind

Drapion is quite solid tank, which helps in taking some hits and support my team with his bulkiness and Toxic Spikes. I had in this spot Registeel, but not having phazer is a really bad idea. Knock Off is helpfull in taking care of some dangerous items from some sweepers and it's usefull in knocking off leftovers from some walls. I would prefer much, much more Stealth Rock, but unfortunately it doesn't learn it. But most of times Poliwrath, Mismagius or Blaziken took care of grounded poison/grass types, which are the most popular to absorb Toxic Spikes. When they're gone, T-Spikes do their job. And in UU flying types/levitators don't run rampant like in OU, so they're not that bad.

When Drapion showed us how to be good supporter for this team, this time something which gets rid of annoying walls and probably the most dangerous Altaria opponent - Registeel. Here it is to show us her great levitating magic. In other words... Mismagius !

Mismagius @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
~ Mean Look
~ Perish Song
~ Protect
~ Substitute

This time something, which lures Registeel like honey baits hungry bears. And many bulky walls doesn't switch out, never expecting Perish Song trapper. It's so rare that catches many people off-guard before it's too late for them. Anyway, her job is simple - lure some annoying walls or sweeper and eliminate them with Perish Song or let poison do it's magic. But I guess I'm ready to replace her - I don't need two phazers now when I have Drapion. But she's quite good in her job and I needed another earth attack absorber and spinner counter, so she do her job.

Thank you for your levitating magic, MissMagius ;). Now it's time for the last member, something which comes late game and eliminates anything that dare to still stay alive. In other words dragon, which looks like a bird. Here it is - Altaria ;).

Altaria @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Dragon Dance
~ Roost

It's my late-game cleaner and star of the show. Alty is so underrated and in UU, where steel types are much more rare, she may be deadly in her job. After one Dragon Dance Physically Defensive Milotic takes 75-80% from Outrage, which with spikes means easy kill. Those Speed EVs are enough to outspeed positive +115 Speed pokemon and those HP EVs gives her a bit of bulk, which helps to absorb some attack, as Altaria is suprisingly bulky on special side. And With Roost she may act like a wall for weaker special attacks. I thought about playing with EVs a bit and put in Roost spot something like Draco Meteor to make her a bit better in mid-game, when I'm in deep situations, but I'm not sure how to put EVs to give her good speed and solid power for her Draco Meteor. But this set is also fine.

Anyway, here's a team. To be honest, the biggest problems are ScarfTyphlosion and Ludicolo, which gives me hard times, so I need help with this the most. Anyway, thanks for all your rates and I hope you like this team. Cheers.

It's a good team, you cover your weakness pretty good. The problem I see though is the lack of firepower on the special side. The thing with Mismagius set, it is really hard to set up on and it looks like the weak link of the team. Changing it to more fire power with standard SubCM set, it could still destroy Registeel which you desire with that set.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid
EV: 108 HP / 180 SpA / 220 Spe

Substitute
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Hp [Fighting]

This is easily one of the solution to your lack of special attacking. It can also beat Registeel and is still one of the more phenomenal sweepers on UU. It's pretty basic - the EV's are ripped from smogon for effectiveness and you could go with a different one for more fire power which would be 252 Speed / 252 SpA / 6 Hp, but the first one should be more effective. Shadow Ball + [Hp Fighting] for good coverage. It's a tough build not having to have SR, but you do have Spikes + Toxic Spikes to make that up. With your description and struggle against Rain Dance teams I really don't know how you could fend with the most common rain dance sweepers, that being Ludicolo, Qwillfish and Kabutops. In all honesty, Poliwrath will do "okay" against them especially having Focus Punch to rely on, you'll probably result to using Toxic more. I think having a taunt user would be best appopriate for this team to stop Rain Dance users.
Consider a Ambipom lead.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Adamant / Jolly
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Speed

Fake Out
Taunt
Return
U-Turn

This guy is pretty good lead and it serves well for your pokemon. Fake Out is an excellent move to damage and stall out rain dance time which is a bothersome if they ever decide to slip in one. Taunt prevents SR users and set-up users e.g Rain Dance Trick Room. With two normal attacks, life orb is no longer needed Silk Scarf will do the trick. U-Turn is to switch out, scout and takes chunks out of Uxie, Claydol leads which would probably the ones who set up. Adamant / Jolly? Adamant can now be used more for fire power ever since the absense on Raikou. Outside that it can really hurt a lot with Adamant not named Mismagius. Shaymin is also outsped which is a +1 because any of Ambipoms attack will do more than Jolly. Jolly is prefered if Mismagius is a bother some - but Drapion does a decent job stopping it. If Drapion can counter Gengar, I'm pretty sure it can handle Mismagius. Plus you have Blaziken to handle it. I don't want to change the outlook of the team now but now you lack entry hazards - you could revert back to Registeel if ya like or Steelix with SR and roar if you prefer using SR over Toxic Spikes some other time. Other than that it's a good team

It's a good team, you cover your weakness pretty good. The problem I see though is the lack of firepower on the special side. The thing with Mismagius set, it is really hard to set up on and it looks like the weak link of the team. Changing it to more fire power with standard SubCM set, it could still destroy Registeel which you desire with that set.
Well, many teams to counter SubCMMagius uses... Registeel. So I thought it's a bad idea to use this set, as it has problems with Registeel. But I need to agree that I lack some power on special side. But if you think that it's okay to use this set, then ok, I'm going to test it.

With your description and struggle against Rain Dance teams I really don't know how you could fend with the most common rain dance sweepers, that being Ludicolo, Qwillfish and Kabutops. In all honesty, Poliwrath will do "okay" against them especially having Focus Punch to rely on, you'll probably result to using Toxic more. I think having a taunt user would be best appopriate for this team to stop Rain Dance users.
Consider a Ambipom lead.
Poliwrath handles fine Qwilfish and Kabutops, Ludicolo is the biggest problem here. Seriously, I hope that at least two of this trio will get banned, as it makes contering Rain Dance teams without huge overspecialization just ridiculous.

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Adamant / Jolly
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Speed

Fake Out
Taunt
Return
U-Turn
Yeah, it would fit fine, but not having Spikes for this team is bad news, so I'm not sure how to fix this problem here. And stayin with only Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock isn't enough for my tastes. But yeah, it would help. It's really a shame that Frossy is banned, it would be perfect. But yeah, I'll think how to change team to try this guy.

And thanks for your rate, it helped. Any other ideas ?

I think what would be ideal for this team is BaitLix. Steelix with Passho Berry and Careful 252 Att/252 Special Defense/4 speed with the moveset Stealth Rock/Iron Head/Earthquake/Explosion. This set accomplishes several things: bulky water lure, Stealth Rock, always useful steel typing, Ambipom counter, all things that your team needs. Takes out bulky waters (and Azumarill!) to allow your Blaziken and Altaria to roam free.

The thing is where do you put it. I really don't think you need Toxic Spikes because the immediate damage from Spikes and SR is more important. With that said, I suggest changing Drapion. With Roserade to absorb T Spikes, Steelix to counter Mismagius pretty well along with a revenging Blaziken, and a set that doesn't really seem to fit an offensive team all that well, Drapion doesn't seem to do much. I strongly recommend putting Steelix over Drapion. It will set a more offensive tempo by putting more pressure on the other team and brings a lot of helpful resists.

Hope I helped. I love the Poliwrath/Mismagius lures.

I think what would be ideal for this team is BaitLix. Steelix with Passho Berry and Careful 252 Att/252 Special Defense/4 speed with the moveset Stealth Rock/Iron Head/Earthquake/Explosion. This set accomplishes several things: bulky water lure, Stealth Rock, always useful steel typing, Ambipom counter, all things that your team needs. Takes out bulky waters (and Azumarill!) to allow your Blaziken and Altaria to roam free.
Yeah, I thought of Steelix (not BaitLix though), but right now many competetive players expect BaitLix. But yeah, you have some good arguments and I think it's the best option. I would only like to put somewhere Roar, but it's hard to find a spot for it. But yeah, it sounds good.

The thing is where do you put it. I really don't think you need Toxic Spikes because the immediate damage from Spikes and SR is more important. With that said, I suggest changing Drapion. With Roserade to absorb T Spikes, Steelix to counter Mismagius pretty well along with a revenging Blaziken, and a set that doesn't really seem to fit an offensive team all that well, Drapion doesn't seem to do much. I strongly recommend putting Steelix over Drapion. It will set a more offensive tempo by putting more pressure on the other team and brings a lot of helpful resists.
Hmmm... yeah, Roserade absorbs Toxic Spikes, but there's a big chance that she may be dead later with this set. The only thing of which I think is to try making Roserade bulkier with Max HP and Leftovers, but I'm not sure about this one though. And maybe I should try pure physical ScarfBlaziken or change some moves on this one. Well, it convinced me enough to try Steelix. It may help.

Thanks for your rates again ;).

You seem to have ignored the threat of Swellow to some extent with this team. Blaziken needs at least 240 speed EVs to have any chance to revenge kill it, but I'd also up the speed on Altaria so that you're not revenged by Swellow yourself after 1 Dragon Dance. I don't really see what the HP EVs are for anyway.

Blaziken's spread looks iffy in general with all that special attack investment for one move. Wouldn't it make sense to invest heavily in Attack instead to boost your three other moves? That Slowbro thing seems way too situational.

And how does Poliwrath handle Qwilfish when it has absolutely no way to hit back with any significant force whatsoever?

You seem to have ignored the threat of Swellow to some extent with this team. Blaziken needs at least 240 speed EVs to have any chance to revenge kill it, but I'd also up the speed on Altaria so that you're not revenged by Swellow yourself after 1 Dragon Dance. I don't really see what the HP EVs are for anyway.
Good point and that's why I thought about using +speed nature on Blaziken. Those HP EVs helps in taking some hits and sometimes they make a bit of difference. But it's true - outspeeding Swellow is worth a shot.

Blaziken's spread looks iffy in general with all that special attack investment for one move. Wouldn't it make sense to invest heavily in Attack instead to boost your three other moves? That Slowbro thing seems way too situational.
That's true, but I found some guys annoying to just use EQ. But yeah, another special move would be nice. Or just change completely those EVs. Anyway, I can't argue with that as it's true.

And how does Poliwrath handle Qwilfish when it has absolutely no way to hit back with any significant force whatsoever?
Hmmm... when I think of it Swords Danced Poison Jab may hurt. Earthquake is also an option, I think it's worth a shot to try. Some flyers may be annoying, but Toxic helps with this.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out some dangerous spots.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This is a very, very good UU team, although I do have some issues with it.

Your lead is my first problem. You can get reliable sleep, spikes, and stealth rocks in one pokemon; Smeargle! Smeargle is a great lead, almost always getting up SR, putting something asleep, and even a layer of spikes. Hell, his Explosion is insane-dealing 66% to a 252/76 Bold Uxie.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

~ Spore
~ SR
~ Spikes
~ Endeavor / Explosion

Easy sleep, SR, and Spikes. Endeavor can get an opponent to 1hp, but Explosion is usually an OHKO.

As Grimmjow already stated, there is zero special firepower. Mismagius is, again as stated, a weak link, carrying no offensive moves. I suggest you replace it for a dangerous mix sweeper.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
(+SpA -Def) 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Atk

~ Fire Blast
~ Substitute
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Punch

With a sub up he can really sweep. with SR he OHKO's Chansey, and 2HKOs all bulky waters regardless of residual damage. Fire Blast from 383 SpA hurts if you don't resist it.

Lastly, change Blaziken to Naughty. 75% of his moves are physical. Swap the Atk and SpA evs too. His 120 attack is the stronger of his offensive stats, and as stated he has mostly physical moves. Why waste it?

Your lead is my first problem. You can get reliable sleep, spikes, and stealth rocks in one pokemon; Smeargle! Smeargle is a great lead, almost always getting up SR, putting something asleep, and even a layer of spikes. Hell, his Explosion is insane-dealing 66% to a 252/76 Bold Uxie.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

~ Spore
~ SR
~ Spikes
~ Endeavor / Explosion

Easy sleep, SR, and Spikes. Endeavor can get an opponent to 1hp, but Explosion is usually an OHKO.

As Grimmjow already stated, there is zero special firepower. Mismagius is, again as stated, a weak link, carrying no offensive moves. I suggest you replace it for a dangerous mix sweeper.
I completely forgot about Smeargle ;). Good point, it's probably something that I was looking for. It's Taunt bait, but on the other hand it may give me some free switch if predicted correctly. I'm not only sure, if it has time to set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes, but it would give me free slot for Roar on Steelix. It's a really good idea and I like it.

About Mismagius - I need to try SubMagius and after that I'll try that Magmortar, but I don't like the idea with using two fire types on one team.

And about Blaziken - true, it needs some fixes, so I agree with all of you here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)