Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avalugg @ Assault Vest
252 S.Def 252 Attack, 4 HP
Brave or Sassy Nature

Avalanche
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rapid Spin

At this point, you will havr dismissed this post with 'lol Avalugg' or 'S.Def and AV on a base 44 S.Def mon? Noob' but don't. I admit I love Avalugg and want to use it, but it can't do much and is outclassed by Skarmory as a defensive hazard remover, but a bulky offense set is really good. This set is very powerful with a good base attack, amazing defence and the investment and AV patching up the awful S.Def. A great TR abuser and works amazing with WishPass.
Avalanche is the main STAB attack, Gyro Ball is amazing due to the awful speed and can cover a good type range including fairy, Earthquake deals with non Skarm steel types and rapid spin is to remove hazards, the main reason you would think of using Avalugg. Stone Edge can be used to nail Zard Y on the switch in.
Overall, Avalugg is hugely underated and deserves more than the lol many people give it, but it has so many spinners to contend with if it's defensive (OU has Skarm, UU has Donphan etc), which is why I came up with this.

Relevant calcs:

-1 252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 180-212 (64 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 240-284 (72.2 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 168-198 (50.6 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
M.Manetric cannot switch into and defeat Avalugg without rocks.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 143-169 (43 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 482-570 (159.6 - 188.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Latios just dies to it.

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 180-212 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 424-500 (110.1 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive Heatran is defeated uless Lava Plume gets a burn.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 281-333 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 303-357 (113 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Factoring in accuracy, there is a tiny chance Gengar can OHKO Avalugg

252+ Atk Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 224-266 (67.4 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 218-258 (65.6 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 298-352 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
No unboosted Lucario will be defeating this guy. I know Lucario isn't common, but still...

Counters:

Unless you are running Stone Edge, Zard Y completely walls this.

252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 123-145 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (60 BP Avalanche for switch in)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg in Sun: 518-612 (156 - 184.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Stone Edge OHKOs on switch in though.

Zard X can also OHKO, but takes more damage if already mega'd on switch:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 338-398 (101.8 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 204-240 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Darmanitan may be OU irrelevant, but checks this set:

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 408-484 (122.8 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 360-424 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To be fair, anything with an SE STAB offensively invested is a check/counter, so I won't waste any more time.
I don't think AV avalugg is that viable. Also your spreads are a little clunky (i would go for 0 hp so you get a rocks number)... Anyway, there are way better offensive assault vest users out there which actually happen to threaten most of the above pokemon mentioned (see: Azumarill) while still having better speed, attack and special defense. Avalugg's typing doesn't do it any favours either; ice is very bad defensively. You'll also notice that on all of those calcs, the AV doesn't reduce enything relevant to a 2hko, most are 50%+ which on top of having a rocks weakness makes this thing pretty bad. Also you'll see that because of the fact that you invested nothing in defense, he doesn't enjoy taking hits physically. I'd say thing thing is much better as a straight physical wall than a cheap AV mon. It has a better wall movepool anyway and can switch in on a few mons with ease (albeit not much), and has access to recover, roar, toxic, all the good things it doesn't have when AV. Look for some more viable users, there are lots that fill better niches than this thing. This thing's niche just isn't relevant and it outclassed heavily by a lot of other pokemon that don't have bad spdef or a bad typing. This thing is just too slow and in conjunction with one of the worst defensive typings, it can be revenged so easily it's disgusting. Even with assault vest. If you were ever to use this, a fully invested physical wall could have potential, but not much that other pokemon can do better. Even as a spinner, it's slow and is weak to every form of hazards. As a physical wall: Skarmory does it better. As an assault vest user: Azumarill does it better. This doesn't mean that it still doesn't have niches over them, but the cons outway the pros by a lot when it comes to him.

tl:dr: Azumarill > AV avalugg. As far as your set set goes, avalugg just isn't viable as an AV user and has almost no (relevant) niches over azumarill.

I don't think AV avalugg is that viable. Also your spreads are a little clunky (i would go for 0 hp so you get a rocks number)... Anyway, there are way better offensive assault vest users out there which actually happen to threaten most of the above pokemon mentioned (see: Azumarill) while still having better speed, attack and special defense. Avalugg's typing doesn't do it any favours either; ice is very bad defensively. You'll also notice that on all of those calcs, the AV doesn't reduce enything relevant to a 2hko, most are 50%+ which on top of having a rocks weakness makes this thing pretty bad. Also you'll see that because of the fact that you invested nothing in defense, he doesn't enjoy taking hits physically. I'd say thing thing is much better as a straight physical wall than a cheap AV mon. It has a better wall movepool anyway and can switch in on a few mons with ease (albeit not much), and has access to recover, roar, toxic, all the good things it doesn't have when AV. Look for some more viable users, there are lots that fill better niches than this thing. This thing's niche just isn't relevant and it outclassed heavily by a lot of other pokemon that don't have bad spdef or a bad typing. This thing is just too slow and in conjunction with one of the worst defensive typings, it can be revenged so easily it's disgusting. Even with assault vest. If you were ever to use this, a fully invested physical wall could have potential, but not much that other pokemon can do better. Even as a spinner, it's slow and is weak to every form of hazards. As a physical wall: Skarmory does it better. As an assault vest user: Azumarill does it better. This doesn't mean that it still doesn't have niches over them, but the cons outway the pros by a lot when it comes to him.

tl:dr: Azumarill > AV avalugg. As far as your set set goes, avalugg just isn't viable as an AV user and has almost no (relevant) niches over azumarill.
Avalugg is really completely different than Azumarill. The only thing to compare is that they use Assault Vest. Azumarill hits harder, has better STAB attacks and has the option to run more than one set.
Avalugg... Well it has reliable recovery. Other than that, it's useless. And this person isn't even using recovery to his / her advantage.
So I agree with you that this set is pretty bad. To the people after me, PLEASE make these sets actually viable in OU. Don't use PU Pokemon unless they're actually used in OU.

The only reason I've even used Avalugg in OU is rapid spin and the fact it's a personal favourite. Yeah, I know it's pretty bad, even Donphan is better unless you value ice STAB>Ice priority coverage for whatever reason. It's pros aren't really played up by an AV, it just attempts to patch up weaknesses. Those calcs aren't really what AValugg's point is to tank, they just happened to be SE attacks it can take. The only reason I even posted it was "creative" sets, and it has some viability, but yeah, it's hugely outclassed.

What about AV arcanine? I know arcanine isn't the most viable pokemon in OU and it faces stiff competition from other physical fire types such as enter, victini, zard x, and darmanitan to some extent but it does have some good niches. For one it has intimidate which can make it all around a very bulky pokemon that can still hit back with some good force. It also has extremespeed something that victini doesn't have and at arcanine has a much better movepool than entei. And it doesn't have a four times stealth rock weakness like charizard in its normal form. I would post more about this but I'm on a mobile right now but I think this is a good set to try out in OU

What about AV arcanine? I know arcanine isn't the most viable pokemon in OU and it faces stiff competition from other physical fire types such as enter, victini, zard x, and darmanitan to some extent but it does have some good niches. For one it has intimidate which can make it all around a very bulky pokemon that can still hit back with some good force. It also has extremespeed something that victini doesn't have and at arcanine has a much better movepool than entei. And it doesn't have a four times stealth rock weakness like charizard in its normal form. I would post more about this but I'm on a mobile right now but I think this is a good set to try out in OU
Nah, defensive Arcanine wants Morning Sun recovery in order to heal off damage from switching in. Arcanine's not all that viable in OU, but Assault Vest isn't a good option.

Here's an idea that I got from a dude (sorry dude forgot your name) in the NU creative sets thread for pyroar which he got from a French battling website:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roar
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Basically, the idea of roar on Mamoswine is supposed to be used in conjunction with hazard stacks to catch popular mamoswine switch-ins like rotom-w or skarmory as they switch in and force them out, causing more damage to the opponent's team and forcing in unexpected and usually unwanted switch-ins. EG: You are up against a Landorus-T and your opponent fears the ice move so he goes into his rotom-w thinking it's all peaches and cream, little does he know you reveal the innovative roar and make him take unnecessary hazard damage and maybe even bring back the landorus, allowing you to get more free hazard damage on the switch in or potentially a kill on the landorus. Of course the moves and items are interchangeable, meaning you can run superpower to hit other mamoswine or hit rotom when it's low or you can run icicle spear, whatever. Note that this isn't a passive phazer like skarmory is, it's used on offense only and is supposed to be for catching switch-ins when you threaten the opposing pokemon.

I just thought this was a really underrated strategy that not many people bother to use or have even heard of and can seriously shift momentum in your favour if used correctly. An interesting take on spikes offense if you ask me, but all credit goes to the Battling website and the guy from the NU forums lol. Feel free to try and use a similar variation of this idea with any other pokemon, but as the site said; it works best with swine.
Oh it was me. :]
what spiker did you use it with ? maybe ferrothorn to pivot on these azumarills trying to beat you 1v1 ?

Oh it was me. :]
what spiker did you use it with ? maybe ferrothorn to pivot on these azumarills trying to beat you 1v1 ?
Oh yeah, usually ferrothorn, but it depends on the style of play and the team. I sometimes went with scolipede to fit a more aggressive role, but ferrothorn works just as well and as better team synergy most of the time.. I was actually thinking of trying out chesnaught when oras arrives since it gets a ton of good moves now.

Oh yeah, usually ferrothorn, but it depends on the style of play and the team. I sometimes went with scolipede to fit a more aggressive role, but ferrothorn works just as well and as better team synergy most of the time.. I was actually thinking of trying out chesnaught when oras arrives since it gets a ton of good moves now.
Chesnaught is already really good, and is usually a more than decent spikes setter !

Hey heres a nice Mega Pidgeot set for making offense cry it's eyes out.
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Agility
Pidgeot lacks a lot of power, but with stab hurricane and modest it can actually garner enough strength to 2HKO the average sylveon set, something which EP landorus i fails to do. it outspeeds and wrecks a lot of the pokemon found on offensive teams such as
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 244-288 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 270-318 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 72 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 162-192 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
theres not many switch ins for this on offense, but it doesn't have that much of advantage over say, rock polish landorus i... the spammable powers of hurricane with confusion is nice though.

Hey heres a nice Mega Pidgeot set for making offense cry it's eyes out.
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Agility
Pidgeot lacks a lot of power, but with stab hurricane and modest it can actually garner enough strength to 2HKO the average sylveon set, something which EP landorus i fails to do. it outspeeds and wrecks a lot of the pokemon found on offensive teams such as
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 244-288 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 270-318 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 72 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 162-192 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
theres not many switch ins for this on offense, but it doesn't have that much of advantage over say, rock polish landorus i... the spammable powers of hurricane with confusion is nice though.
Just for the sake of it, change 4 EVs in HP to 0 and put them somewhere else so you get a nice stealth rock number. Anyway, this set looks alright, but I don't really see speed helping this thing, It is fast enough already. It's not all that powerful either so most things can just come in, take a hit and revenge it. I'd say it's better used as a very late game cleaner or as a kind of hit and run pokemon like mega lopunny is. The only thing it really needs agility for is Greninja, so I don't think one pokemon is worth it. The fact that It's fast from the get go even without agility and can spam hurricanes means it does actually have an advantage over Landorus, and I mean, after it evolves it's faster than pretty much everything relevant that isn't a mega besides greninja so why even bother... I think this thing would work much better with really anything in it's last moveslot like roost, defog, u-turn, etc. (technically your post belongs in the oras version of this thread by the way, but since we're playing in oras I guess it's okay now?)

Sorry for Bump and my English.I found this set is quite neat.here my set,featuring Empoleon:
Empoleon @ Life Orb
Ability : Defiant*
EVs : 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald/Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot/Ice Beam

As we know,Defog is everywhere.so that's why Defiant now is so good.Empoleon has a good physical movepool,adequate Attack stat,and...Defiant.Knock Off is another forgotten move for Empoleon,which is gain a buff.you can lure out Lati@s and Knock Off them,and hoping for using Defog on you.Scald for STAB(you can using Hydro Pump instead for extra power),burn and bolster your defense.Earthquake for Electric-type pokemon.and the last slot is filler moves,like Ice beam/Grass Knot.

Last edited:
Hey,there.I found another interesting set,featuring Sableye-M:
Sableye @ Sablelite(cmiiw)
Ability : Prankster
EVs : 196 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpD 0 Atk IVs
Bold Nature
- Foul Play/Night Shade
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Metal Burst*

So the point of this set is using natural bulk of Sableye-M and priority WoW.Priority WoW for crippling physical attacker,and then you can Mevo or stay to not Mevo.Foul Play/Night Shade for damage dealing move and not become taunt bait.Recover is self-explanatory.your only healing method.And..... Here is the suprising move:Metal Burst! Metal Burst acting as CounterCoat strategy except it deals 1.5x damage instead 2x,but retailate both physical and special attack.with 125/105 defense,it's not a great problem to take a hit and then retailate with Metal Burst.when you're down,just clicking Recover and do this again.so,what do you think?any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)