Ability Competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Competitive: Raises Sp. Atk stat by two stages whenever a stat is lowered

Competitive is basically a Special Attack version of Defiant, raising your Special Attack two stages when any stage is lowered. This makes Competitive a perfect ability for Special Attack based Pokemon, as they can take an Intimidate (which doesn't phase them anyway) and get a tremendous boost from it.

Pokemon that can have Competitive as an Ability:
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Igglybuff
Milotic
Gothita
Gothorita
Gothitelle

Pokemon that can have Competitive as a Hidden Abilty:
Meowstic

Does it have any use whatsoever? Discuss.

Wigglytuff will most likely have good use of it, but that's about it. Milotic prefers Marvel Scale and Gothitelle would much rather prefer Shadow Tag, so it seems that Wigglytuff will likely be the only Pokemon to commonly have it. As far as Meowstic...never used it, so I cannot say.

Offensive bulky Milotic will prefer this ability since it'll hit very hard after switching into Sticky Web or something but in general Milotic is a defensive pokemon so it prefers Marvel Scale. Especially with RestTalk.

This ability will actually give Milotic some use in Doubles, but that's about it. The other uses are either too slow, offensively mediocre without an activatio or with better options all around.

Using Milotic to punish the ever present Intimidators in doubles seems like the way to go. Offensive Milotic might want it in singles, but it's unreliable and predictable most of the time.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Coming in on a predicted defog is also a neat way to get the boost. Works well for Bisharp and his Defiant, at least.

I can see people running offensive Milotic with this. You can switch into a predicted Gyarados switch and proceed to wreck havoc.

This thing pretty much makes offensive Milotic viable again. Slap on an assault vest and you've got a real tank on your hands. I can see something like Scald/Ice Beam/HP Electric/Dragon Tail happening.

I tried it for a little while, and I personally prefer Marvel Scale, but I'm sure others can make it work.

The most notable users of it are arguably Wigglytuff and Meowstic, but Meowstic also has Infiltrator, which allows her to push through Substitutes and Dual Screens, which would, in a way, make her harder to wall.

While this ability may be useful in the current meta with things such as Defog and Intimidate, most of the pokemon with this ability benefit from their other abilities. The goths practically need Shadow Tag to be viable, but Milotic may actually find use for this. If you decided to run a set like Aquaslash suggested above, then Competitive could be useful to switch in on defog, like how Bisharp's defiant is being used with success. This allows you to run Milotic still bulky, but is used for more offensive purposes than the Marvel Scale variants which are used more for bulk. I'm sure Competitive Milotic could possibly be viable if fit onto the right team. As far as Wigglytuff, it probably would benefit from this ability, but it probably has very little to no viability in OU. As far as I'm concerned, I'm sure Prankster Meowstic is much better than competitive meowstic, but is probably still outclassed by other things. So, Competitive probably will have very slight use in OU.

While this ability may be useful in the current meta with things such as Defog and Intimidate, most of the pokemon with this ability benefit from their other abilities. The goths practically need Shadow Tag to be viable, but Milotic may actually find use for this. If you decided to run a set like Aquaslash suggested above, then Competitive could be useful to switch in on defog, like how Bisharp's defiant is being used with success. This allows you to run Milotic still bulky, but is used for more offensive purposes than the Marvel Scale variants which are used more for bulk. I'm sure Competitive Milotic could possibly be viable if fit onto the right team. As far as Wigglytuff, it probably would benefit from this ability, but it probably has very little to no viability in OU. As far as I'm concerned, I'm sure Prankster Meowstic is much better than competitive meowstic, but is probably still outclassed by other things. So, Competitive probably will have very slight use in OU.
prankster is for male meowstic only. female gets competitive

Reactions: tab
I know but he was talking about how female meowstic will never use competitive because it has prankster even though female meowstic doesn't even get prankster
First of all, I never specified which meowstic I was talking about. Does it really matter though? Prankster is probably better on it, so why use female meowstic? Meowstic gets outclassed in its roles by other pokemon, and probably won't be very viable in OU anyway.

I see no use of it in OU but maybe in lower tiers. The pokemon that get it aren't very good in the first place outside of Milotic and Gothitelle. Running it on Gothitelle takes out the entire reason of using it(trapping) and it hurts Milotics main job of being a monster wall with rest. It could though make Milotic into a deadly bulky wall breaker with Sticky Web everywhere. I'm thinking a modest 252HP/252SpATK/4DEF spread could do some work.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
They are basically the same mon.
They have different movepools, different abilities, and different uses. Only thing they share in common is their typing and base stats

otherwise they're as similar as nidoking/queen or solrock/lunatone

They have different movepools, different abilities, and different uses. Only thing they share in common is their typing and base stats

I think he was more going for "why use Female Meowstic when you can use Male Meowstic?"

Female Meowstic as an attacker is ok, but Male Meowstic is pretty much better to run because of Prankster. But I suppose if you really wanted a Psychic type with Infiltrator...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I think he was more going for "why use Female Meowstic when you can use Male Meowstic?"

Female Meowstic as an attacker is ok, but Male Meowstic is pretty much better to run because of Prankster. But I suppose if you really wanted a Psychic type with Infiltrator...
I'm not disagreeing that she's weak, I'm just pointing out that for all intents and purposes they should be treated in a similar way to pokemon with forme differences like the different rotoms or otherwise similar pokemon like the nidos.

If you need a prankster then male meowstic can be useful. If you need an infiltrator/competitive psychic attacker, then the female one might work. But they should not be seen as "basically the same mon".

(I don't even know where I'm going with this .__. )

The only relevant difference in their movepool is Quick Guard and Helping Hand for the male(also both useless in singles) and Stored Power for the female(not bulky enough to pull it off). Their stats spread is the same and the different ability is not enough for considering them separate mons(it would be like do the same with Red and Blue Basculin because one har Reckless and the other Rock Head).

We should probably lock this or turn it into a Milotic thread, because that's the actual topic worthy of discussion here.

Edit: And coming to think of it, Milotic can now make a good use of Scald and Dragon Tail in a Rest/Talk set. That's a decent improvement from previous gen.

Last edited:
I probably know the answer, but does Sticky Web activates Competitive?
Getting in with a free +2 boost is kinda funny, and it would be actually nice on Wigglytuff since it's slow as hell anyway.

We should probably lock this or turn it into a Milotic thread, because that's the actual topic worthy of discussion here.

Edit: And coming to think of it, Milotic can now make a good use of Scald and Dragon Tail in a Rest/Talk set. That's a decent improvement from previous gen.
I dont understand, wasnt this the main milotic set anyway? Its basically the only way to run milotic without getting outclassed by suicune last gen. If you want to use competitive you want to probably use a set with recover Id think.

What about a Special Wall Tank using Assault Vest?

Milotic @ Assault Vest
Trait: Competitive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Mirror Coat / Surf / Scald

EVs to give Milotic an odd # of HP for SR, max SAtk, and a little added bulk to go with it's base 125 SDef. Competitive activates and boosts Milotic's SAtk to a very nice 656. First slot comes down to wanting power, accuracy, or chance to status. Ice Beam for coverage, but can run Blizzard if you want to risk it. HP Fire to cover Steel types that wall this set. Last slot you could either go Mirror Coat (which is a Special Attack) to use your bulk against your opponent, or Surf/Scald if you went Hydro Pump with your first slot for an accurate alternative.
Maybe you could slash Dragon Pulse in there somewhere if you wanted a solid base 90 attack, but I feel with Ice Beam/Blizzard being there to stop Dragons, it's kind of pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)