Gen 6 Community Tournament

What type of tournament would you like to play?

• A seasonal (see Orch's post for more information)

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • An ATP style tournament

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening! As many of you know, Fireburn and I have been discussing a huge tournament for this community for a while now. The one thing giving us pause was interest level: if there were not enough players from within this community willing to play at the tournament level (i don't really care how many outsiders sign up), then there is no point in running an ambitious tournament like this. I steadfastly REFUSE to be Furai 2.0 and run a dead tournament that no one is excited about. Anyway, both weekend tournaments were successful, with each gathering ~48 players (while most of the weekend tournaments for NU, RU, and UU got around 32 players). I give you guys a lot of credit for making those tournaments successful.

You guys will decide exactly what kind of tournament we will have! I have attached a poll to this thread and everyone is encouraged to vote on what you would like to see. You are encouraged to post in this thread explaining your thought process behind your vote, especially if you choose the "other" category: I am all ears to suggestions.

Options:

Seasonal - Basically, what doubles is doing now is a very large double elimination tournament. A double elimination tournament increases the # of games played, which in turn increases the overall odds that the winner is deserving / won because they were one of the best, if not the best players in the entire tournament.

Note: If you guys decide on a seasonal, I'd like to set up one double elimination for the summer, then see how it goes. If it goes well (which I assume it would) we can plan out three more tournaments for the Fall, Winter, and Spring, as well as set up a leaderboard. We would definitely have an invite-only tournament next summer (consisting of the top 8 players on the leaderboard) to determine the overall champion.

ATP style tournament - Alternatively, we can spend the next 6 months or so participating in an ATP style tournament. Basically, an ATP tournament objectively ranks players based on their tournament performance. Ubers tournaments that would be used to rank people include the Lower Tier Tournament, Minority Suspect's tournament, the Ubers Open, and any other Ubers tournament that will take place from now until January of next year. The top 4-8 players in the Ubers ATP rankings will have an opportunity to participate in a Best of 3 single-elimination tournament early next year. See this link for more information on how such a tournament would work: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...system-for-tournaments-updated-01-03.3514900/ Fireburn and I would come up with our own scoring system, likely with the help of TD's.

Other - Any ideas? I don't want to do a team tournament since MUTE and UPL just ended but I'm willing to listen to suggestions.

Time: The tournament will begin ASAP. If the community chooses a seasonal, sign-ups will open next week. If the community chooses an ATP tournament, then we have actually already begun with this past weekend's Live Tournament, The playoffs will probably begin at the end of the year.

Reward: I am currently unsure of the award for the victor, but imagine SS would be alright with me awarding a banner for winning a tournament of this size. The runner-up will have the honor of changing my signature for a week if they so choose.

Purpose: High-level tournaments are known to be exclusive. For example, SPL only has 10 starting Ubers slots, and most of those go to already established players, leaving little room for new blood on a year-to-year basis. There are other tournaments where players can prove their worth -- MUTE, Ubers Premier League, and Ubers Open being prime examples -- but two of these three are team tournaments where you cannot prove yourself that much on an individual level unless you completely dominate, and Ubers Open tends to be watered down with non-Ubers players so it isn't that hard for an above-average player to make a deep run. A large tournament encompassing much of this community (as well as capable players from outside the community) would do wonders for increasing the winner's visibility on this site! Plus, there is no downside to such a tournament now that you guys have proven your interest in it by signing up for the live weekend tournaments and by CONSTANTLY bugging me about it on IRC.

LET'S FUCKING GET IT!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
For a little bit of clarification: the 2015 Doubles Circuit consists of four double elimination tournaments. While they do not feed into an invite-only tournament at the end (which is something I'd like to change), we do keep track of each player's success with the Doubles Power Rankings, which is more or less a glorified leaderboard.

could we have multiple seasonals (just like the one you suggested) to decide top players then put them in a double elim tour. basically a combination of ATP and seasonal. if this is feasible, then this is my preferred method to do this if possible.
Yes; anyone who supports this proposal please vote for the "seasonal" option instead of the "other" option.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Yeah seasonal is by far the best option. I've been playing Doubles seasonals for a while now and they are very fun to play. If we get Ubers seasonals, its gonna be even more fun and I believe that many people who have less interest in ubers will want to learn this tier.

so... how about getting ad support in some way (twitch?) and giving the winner the 15 bucks or so you've made from ads? if you're worried about any kind of interest, this is the be-all end-all fix

Reactions: hyw

hyw

Banned deucer.
Wow what the fuck monetary incentives takes this to a whole new level and gives birth to a whole new meaning maybe we can all do a thing where you pay 10 to play and divy up the prize!

Prizes will not be monetary, sorry. If I win the lottery then this is subject to change.

This is looking like a bloodbath, looks like people want seasonals. Unless something changes with the poll results quickly, sign-ups for this tournament will be up by Friday.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Do something similar to doubles 2014 seasonals where players earned points which led up to some invitationals or whatnot with the prize being a custom banner plz.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Do something similar to doubles 2014 seasonals where players earned points which led up to some invitationals or whatnot with the prize being a custom banner plz.
Fwiw we're probably working some sort of invitationals into 2016. In hindsight not having one this year was dumb, but it's too late to change it because it's unfair to those who have already lost.

But yeah finals are good.

Closing this thread & poll, because you guys have overwhelming chosen to play in a seasonal format. There's no point in leaving this open when it's clear the seasonal option is going to win. If the first seasonal goes well -- which I expect it will -- this tournament could last at least a year. I expect SS will be OK with the winner being awarded a banner, but we will see.

Expect signups for the Summer Seasonal to go up very soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)