Cleric Pokemon

I wanted to discuss the term "Cleric" in Pokemon competitive gaming.
Cleric Pokemon aren't exactly attackers, sweepers or entirely supportive Pokemon.
These Pokemon have 1 role really, and that is to heal, and to pass stats.

Q: Are Cleric Pokemon even that beneficial outside of Umbreon in the UU Tier?

A great example of a Cleric Pokemon is Umbreon. It has many beneficial supportive & clerical uses.
A great common move pool you see on Umbreon would be Wish, Protect and Heal Bell.
It has self beneficial protection and healing qualities (besides Moonlight).
Also, it can Wish and then Hard Switch or Baton Pass into other Pokemon to heal them.
Also, Heal Bell above all else is one of the best supportive Cleric moves in the game.

I don't really know any other good Clerical Pokemon outside of Umbreon or Celebi (in situational events).
Please, anyone reading. Discuss Cleric Pokemon in this thread and stay on topic as much as possible to avoid confusion.
I want to hear from the community about what they think of clerical roles in metagame and competitive play.
Also, I want to hear ideas (outside of Umbreon) on what good Cleric Pokemon there are, and how they in specific would be used.

This thread does not belong in Other Metagames - I'm moving it to the UU forum.

Also Umbreon sucks -.-

Eh.... this thread isn't about UU. It's about clerical pokemon (generalized), so not representing any particular class. I think your location movement is mistaken, but whatever floats your boat.

Also, in UU, Umbreon has saved me too many times to be spoken about in such a way. It's also almost essential in UU, and located in many powerful teams who need a supporter/clerical pokemon. Saying it sucks makes my head spin in confusion because it's usually really bad players who say that about Umbreon (specifically in its UU role.)

What baffles me more is that a "leader" is off topic or posting non-viable or relative material. o.O

Celebi
Sylveon
Blissey
Chansey
Umbreon

Probably more but I can't think of them as I only use those 5. They are all very good @ what they do.

Also he moved it because it did seem, at first glance, that it was meant to be UU.

Regardless, it didn't belong in "Other Metagames."

I'd say Audino. I used to run one before the Weavile ban. I don't have it on text, but it ran Toxic/Trick Room/Protect/Wish, 252 HP/128 Def/128 Spd, Leftovers

With Regenerator it's pretty good. You have more options on a non-Trick Room team, like Healing Wish, Encore and Heal Bell.

Celebi
Sylveon
Blissey
Chansey
Umbreon

Probably more but I can't think of them as I only use those 5. They are all very good @ what they do.

Also he moved it because it did seem, at first glance, that it was meant to be UU.

Regardless, it didn't belong in "Other Metagames."

I understand moving it outside of "Other Meta Game" if it doesn't belong there, but, to say it doesn't belong there and then move it to another spot in which it does not belong is beyond mind bending to me o.O

Anyways onto your initial point.
I like Chancy / Blissy as a SDEF Tank but as far as supportive clerical use, does it really have much supportive use outside of supporting itself?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Eh.... this thread isn't about UU. It's about clerical pokemon (generalized), so not representing any particular class. I think your location movement is mistaken, but whatever floats your boat.

Also, in UU, Umbreon has saved me too many times to be spoken about in such a way. It's also almost essential in UU, and located in many powerful teams who need a supporter/clerical pokemon. Saying it sucks makes my head spin in confusion because it's usually really bad players who say that about Umbreon (specifically in its UU role.)

What baffles me more is that a "leader" is off topic or posting non-viable or relative material. o.O
The only tier you specifically mentioned in your post was UU so I assumed it was meant for that forum. Basically, what PellOfTheTundra said was correct.

In UU, the most relevant "Cleric" is definitely Florges. It is even the highest ranking Pokemon with either Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, besides Celebi. However, Celebi doesn't really popularly use Heal Bell, so it's irrelevant.

Haden & Aria if you read the OP, it's about UU specifically. It's not a general discussion about Clerics in any given meta game, like your post suggested. The OP's thesis statement/question even said "... In the UU tier." This post definitely did not belong in the "Other Metagames" sub-forum.

Last edited:
The only tier you specifically mentioned in your post was UU so I assumed it was meant for that forum. Basically, what PellOfTheTundra said was correct.
I guess it's just a miss read miss understanding then. I mentioned a couple UU Pokemon but it's generalized to Clerical Pokemon in general to metagame and competitive play, if you understand that now?

I understand moving it outside of "Other Meta Game" if it doesn't belong there, but, to say it doesn't belong there and then move it to another spot in which it does not belong is beyond mind bending to me o.O

Anyways onto your initial point.
I like Chancy / Blissy as a SDEF Tank but as far as supportive clerical use, does it really have much supportive use outside of supporting itself?
Chansey and Blissey are both very good at supporting their team. I use them on stall teams to counter opposing stall, and they are rarely dead weight in that case.

Also, Cresselia is nice team support, although idk if I would call it a cleric, persay, although Lunar Dance KINDA counts.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's definitely some good clerics in UU. Florges and Chansey are probably the best ones, but I'll talk about another one:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8SDef
Nature: Bold
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Ultimate team supporter set. This set actually works really well with Mega Aggron and is nice for teams that need a bulky Water-type, but can't afford to give up Wish or Cleric support. The first three moves are basically commonplace on Vaporeon and don't really need any explanation. Heal Bell is a move that is often forgotten about on Vaporeon due to her tendency to run Roar, Toxic, or Ice Beam, but Vaporeon's good defensive typing and mixed defenses allows it to take on the Cleric role quite well. Also, having a Cleric being entirely immune to Scald is amazing.

Granbull (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Play Rough
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Okay, so Granbull was a lot more relevant before a couple of bans, for its notable ability to check Mega-Heracross and Terrakion. Granbull also has a niche in being the only cleric (that I know of) that leans towards physical bulkiness and has a usable physical attack. He's also very good for taking random Knock Offs. Anywho, I haven't used this set recently, but in the past I found it very useful for its ability to check and hard counter several relevant threats, as well as healing the entire team with Heal Bell. Rest + Sleep Talk + Heal Bell doesn't pull of quite as nicely as you'd always want it to, but when it does, it can disrupt the opponent's plans for set up. Fairy typing is also its biggest asset, being able to handle nearly every Dark type (bar Absol and Drapion), Fighting types (aside from Toxicroak -- Cobalion can only 4HKO with Iron Head lol), and any physical Dragon type (you can even handle certain special dragons, like Hydreigon, to an extent).

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4Spa
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

One of the most physically defensive fairies with pretty good 101/72/89 defenses to work with. Not only can it use Aromatherapy and pass massive wishes, it also can't be taunted thanks to Aroma Veil which makes its god awful speed not as much as an issue. Like Vaporeon, it is a good teammate to Mega Aggron while it resists the fighting type moves that Aggron hates. Aggron also resists steel and is immune to the poison attacks that Aromatisse hates so there is good synergy there. Aromatisse is no slouch offensively either with a decent base 99 special attack and powerful STAB in MoonBlast with coverage options such as Thunderbolt, Psyshock and energy ball.

What sets Aromatisse apart from Florges is the much superior Physical bulk, the larger wishes, the inability to be taunted and a few extra coverage options. It sets itself apart from Granbull as a physically defensive fairy as it has reliable recovery. I think it is definitely an underrated Pokemon in general and is one of the better fairies.

Huh. Haven't seen a single Aromatisse and that set looks really good.

I just wanted to pop in and defend Umbreon. Definitely a good poke. My favorite is a curse, payback, wish, protect/heal bell set. It already has great HP and SpD so a single curse makes it ridiculously bulky. It's a fantastic defensive pivot with the threat of boosting and sweeping(I've knocked out entire teams when they underestimated Umbreon).

One of the best things about Umbreon as a cleric is synchronize. Being able to turn a toxic back on your opponent and heal bell it away is invaluable. Umbreon is a huge challenge to stall.

I was using Mew as a cleric in OU with great success...just change the EVs a little and it should be viable in UU as well.

Mew@Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe (Calm)
or 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe (Bold)
Calm/Bold Nature (whatever you need for your team the most)
- Heal Bell
- Roost/Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Stealth Rock/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Hypnosis/Ice Beam

Mew can abuse its ability with this set, bouncing back statuses. You can recklessly switch into Scald for instants and burn the opposing pokemon as well.

Roost/Soft-Boiled is reliable recovery.

One can add Defog to clear hazards and later on if the hazard layer of your opponent is gone, you can set your own one. It is just so useful that you just want to have this move in your set.

Otherwise Will-O-Wisp is there to cripple physical attackers and thanks to defog it might hit much easier whenever your opponent wants to stay in. The same works with Hypnosis which "always" misses. Otherwise Taunt can be used to stop supporters like Chansey or Ice Beam to not be a Taunt Bait.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Another interesting Cleric is Roserade. While Roserade does not have Wish pass it has reliable recovery in Synthesis and Rest (with Natural Cure) as well as the ability to use Sleep Powder + Toxic Spikes/Spikes. I wouldn't honestly recommend using Aromatherapy on this mon, but it does force out certain pokemon like Mega Blastoise and Florges with Sludge Bomb so you can definitely try it out. The best Clerics in UU are definitely Chansey and Florges as previously stated, but I also do like EonX idea of Vaporeon as well!

I been testing lately is Togekiss. Recently it dropped down to UU now for the past few days and makes a nicely fit use. Instead of always the Paraflinch tactic that's supported by Serene Grace, it's provided a more support role. Also it has pretty impressive bulk to stall.

Togekiss@ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm/Bold Nature ( usually prefer Calm )
- Wish/Roost
- Heal Bell/Defog/Protect
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Air Slash/Dazzling Gleam

You'll likely need an attacking move since players like to run Taunt such as Absol and mainly Sableye. Plus they're weak against Fairy moves such as Dazzling Gleam proving coverage over Dark, Fighting, and Dragon. Air Slash can also be used to boost your chances of flinching your foe boosted by Serene Grace. Also in an attempt of dealing with Toxicroak.
Toxic is often overlooked compared to Thunder Wave due to the abuse of Paraflinch and Serene Grace. To be honest due to Togekiss defensive Fairy/Flying typing it can perform the same way as its pre-evolution, Togetic with Eviolite. Defog will help keep Togekiss from losing 25% HP from Stealth Rocks including the other members of the team upon switch ins. Pokemon such as Milotic, Vaporeon, Sableye, etc love to use status moves or Pokemon such as Crocune uses Scald and burns. Heal Bell will really provide use in not only helping Togekiss but help the others inflicted as well. Roost is help to stall and recover HP and continue taking hits. Wish can be used pretty well due to it's bulk as it can utilize this move to support it's members switching in.

Overall, with the kind of Fairy/Flying defensive typing, bulk, and access to healing support moves makes it a great cleric candidate for UU ( unless smogon decides to make fun of Togekiss again and place it back in BL ).

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another interesting Cleric is Roserade. While Roserade does not have Wish pass it has reliable recovery in Synthesis and Rest (with Natural Cure) as well as the ability to use Sleep Powder + Toxic Spikes/Spikes. I wouldn't honestly recommend using Aromatherapy on this mon, but it does force out certain pokemon like Mega Blastoise and Florges with Sludge Bomb so you can definitely try it out. The best Clerics in UU are definitely Chansey and Florges as previously stated, but I also do like EonX idea of Vaporeon as well!
Umbreon is also a very popular cleric in this tier.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm aware
I only brought it up cause you mentioned Florges and *Blissey. Umbreon is worthy of mention in that respect as well. Also, in regards to Vaporeon, Vaporeon has become more of a defensive pivot than a cleric, utilizing wish support w/ baton pass as opposed to heal bell.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I only brought it up cause you mentioned Florges and *Blissey. Umbreon is worthy of mention in that respect as well. Also, in regards to Vaporeon, Vaporeon has become more of a defensive pivot than a cleric, utilizing wish support w/ baton pass as opposed to heal bell.
Haha nah i get you i didn't mention umbreon since it's in the op

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)