Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 262-310 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

196 SpA Mega Charizard Y Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 400-472 (134.2 - 158.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Problem solved, now we just have to get in with 100% hp
Too bad Talonflame always run Adamant and not Jolly:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Too bad Talonflame always run Adamant and not Jolly:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Most talonflames don't use choice bands cause any decent steel type could wall you they usually go with life orb so they can switch between flare blitz and brave bird. so ancient power would be good If you wanted an attacking move instead of roost. Just realized charizard could learn rock tomb so you could use it on char X

more talonflames run bands than life orb, at any rate i dont see why you would stay in to find out or not. if your teams answer to talonflame is zard y with rock tomb then something is wrong. on top of that, if you have ancient power over roost then the chances of you having 100% hp against talonflame are very low

more talonflames run bands than life orb, at any rate i dont see why you would stay in to find out or not. if your teams answer to talonflame is zard y with rock tomb then something is wrong. on top of that, if you have ancient power over roost then the chances of you having 100% hp against talonflame are very low
All you really need for coverage is solarbeam and fire attack of choice, I'm sure you could get away with roost and Ancient power

sure, but i just think its much more situational than focus blast which is fairly essential vs heatran, and a bonus for tyranitar switch-ins who think they can handle the zard. there are better ways to handle talonflame.

on a side note conkeldurr has fantastic synergy with zard y, he can pretty comfortably deal with t-tar (particularly assault vest), goodra, blissey and friends, terrakion, the latis (to a degree), scarfchomp, and plenty more

Charizard isn't my answer for talonflame landorus or T-tar is I lose a lot of momentum when I switch out charizard and there might be rocks.

Anyway I can also vouch for conkeldurr he destroys all the rock and ground pokemon that out speed charizard y and he even takes down garchomps.

The reason it's so common is because it's a top threat. And what's the whole "easy wins" thing you're talking about? To play competitively, you want to use the best tools at your disposal. For example, I don't think any modern army would care to put down their guns and carry swords onto the battlefield in the name of originality and I don't think The Miami Heat would make Lebron sit on the sidelines because he's considered the best basketball player of the time and they don't want easy wins.

In a truly competitive setting, variety is a bad thing. You don't want a metagame with too many things going on, because the game then becomes inconsistent and there is no real team building process at that point. We need common threats like Charizard Y.
this isnt a war this is a video game where first and foremost it has to be entertaining, and unless your playing for money there is no reason to use a cookie cutter team. and saying variety is a bad thing in any game shows a lack of understanding of good game design competitive or not. one of the best things about pokemon is its complexity and when you only ever use the same 6 pokemon out of a possible 716 its gets so simple that turns into Rock,Paper,Scizor .

this isnt a war this is a video game where first and foremost it has to be entertaining, and unless your playing for money there is no reason to use a cookie cutter team. and saying variety is a bad thing in any game shows a lack of understanding of good game design competitive or not. one of the best things about pokemon is its complexity and when you only ever use the same 6 pokemon out of a possible 716 its gets so simple that turns into Rock,Paper,Scizor .
Here is where I am kinda stuck. On one hand, you are always going to have standard. There is a reason they are standard; they are the best tools at your disposal. To deny them just to be original is not competitive, it is not trying to win, it is trying to be stylish. ON THE OTHER HAND, there is something to be said for using nonstandard mons when they suit your needs. Anyone who knows my YouTube knows that I do it quite often as there are just some things that you need in order for your team to work. I used a defensive Carracosta in what was one of my most successful OU teams of generation V, and I don't regret it. The typing and defensive utility was absolutely crucial for my team composition, and he won me a lot of games with SR, Toxic, and Protect combined with Sturdy. Is it always the best option to use nonstandard mons? No. But can it suit your needs in a pinch? Yes.

haunter

Banned deucer.
elitesalamander, you're probably confusing competitiveness with creativity. In a competitive environment, people will usually use the better tools at their disposal to try to win the competition, even if that means sacrificing diversity and creativity. If you're playing the game just for fun, then you're free to build teams around Butterfree, but you clearly can't expect to climb the ladder with such teams.

To deny them just to be original is not competitive, it is not trying to win, it is trying to be stylish
it has nothing to do with being original or stylish its about it not becoming boring because of obsessive repetition and instead of facing the same 6 Pokemon I know I can beat without using any skill because I have a team specifically designed to ripp through the only 6 pokemon I ever see, lets face some pokemon I don't always face. Ones that can counter my team or make me use my brain. (when I win a game I like it to because I out played some one. The last 4 games I played in triple felt like the two players in rock paper scissors who have given up on trying to read each other and were playing purely by chance)

It's Speed stays at 100 on both Megas, so I think a Speed nature is necessity for both of them, Timid especially if you're using Charizard Y.
With that said, I can see Charizard Y and Chlorophyll Venusaur being a deadly combination in Double Battles.

It's Speed stays at 100 on both Megas, so I think a Speed nature is necessity for both of them, Timid especially if you're using Charizard Y.
With that said, I can see Charizard Y and Chlorophyll Venusaur being a deadly combination in Double Battles.
I don't know. The only things you'll be outspeeding with + speed are other base 100s and a few 90s. That includes Kyurem-B, Salamence (tie), and Staraptor (also a tie). The big one was Genesect, but with it gone, neutral speed seems decent now.

Just gonna throw out there I've been running a special attack nature sine poke bank was released.

I haven't had to worry about much. Char y forced a lot of switches making speed almost irrelevant.

Since we are talking about Natures, do you think it's worth it to run an Atk neutral nature if you are running Flame Charge on Zard Y?

Since we are talking about Natures, do you think it's worth it to run an Atk neutral nature if you are running Flame Charge on Zard Y?
I would. I always run hasty when I use Earthquake. Running Modest or Timid wouldn't be bad though since Flame Charge is mainly for the speed boosting effect and minus-natured base 104 attack isn't so bad.

Eeee probably doesn't matter. Charizard has some big attack stats with little defense so foul play will hurt. I personally would just use the charge for the speed and keep the stat values at minimum.

Yes definitely. Mild is good as its defense is already bad.
I wouldn't call 78 bad, just below average. But on that subject, is it really worth reducing your ability to switch into threats or to take priority resisted moves (like Mach Punch or Bullet Punch) just to do a bit more damage with a base 50 attack?

I wouldn't call 78 bad, just below average. But on that subject, is it really worth reducing your ability to switch into threats or to take priority resisted moves (like Mach Punch or Bullet Punch) just to do a bit more damage with a base 50 attack?
Charizard y has base 104 attack... And I prefer the ability to survive the surprise thunderbolt and water moves.

As to if its worth it: that's entirely up to you. If you think it is, then go for it. I personally think it is.

hey im planning on breeding some charmanders that can become either X or Y but im not sure which egg moves to use. which 4 would be best?

You know what would be a really ironic set, if megazard x became a popular defogger
This is the set I plan to test
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Will-o-wisp
- Dragon claw/fire punch

It pains me to say it but charizard Y is probably a better defogger than charizard X. Immune to 3 types of entry hazards, a stronger uninvested attack, and better resistances if you're using it as a special "tank" compared to charizard X's "physical tank".

Might as well use blastoise though...

Maybe it's just me but it seems kind of unproductive to use charizard x for defog support when it is such a great sweeper. I know it forces a lot of switches but it might just be the best sweeper in the game right now so building a team supporting it is probably a better option than it supporting a team built around another sweeper.

But most teams don't carry spikes, on top of that, most of the spikes users are scared of megazard x. So the most likely scenario is switching in where there's only stealth rocks, at which point, megazard x is a better choice. Toxic spikes is pretty much a useless entry hazard now, so no worries about that. Worst case scenario, you take 50% from 3 spikes and stealth rock. Same goes for megazard y, you're taking 50%. For the most part though, you'll be switching on 1 stealth rock. Megazard x also has good typing, leaving it weak to only 3 types, which, for the most part, are physically based. Also, blastoise can't will-o-wisp, or recover reliably.

Maybe it's just me but it seems kind of unproductive to use charizard x for defog support when it is such a great sweeper. I know it forces a lot of switches but it might just be the best sweeper in the game right now so building a team supporting it is probably a better option than it supporting a team built around another sweeper.
While it is true that he is a fantastic sweeper, He may provide good resistances that your team needs. Maybe your team has a serious fire type problem. x4 resists fire. It also resists electric, which many defoggers would like. I don't expect this to be a top tier defogger, but it's an interesting option. As I said in my earlier post, most hazard setters fear a megazard x, which most defoggers can't do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with Roost, using hazard-vulnerable Pokemon for Defog support strikes me as extremely counterproductive. At least Mandibuzz is immune to Spikes without being 4x SR weak like Zard Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)