chaos needs help: IRC client

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Because of the lack of -good- available IRC clients (especially for Linux; at least Windows has mIRC), I am going to write an open source IRC client. I'm hoping to have this project be my senior thesis in college as it will be a massive project ;)

It's called "Bananavine". The name comes from "Grapevine", which would have been an awesome name for an IRC client... except that it was the name of the first Amiga OS IRC client. Steelicks suggested "Bananavine" because he's stupid and everyone liked it... so... yeah. I like it too.

Can someone help me with art? It wouldn't be anything hard, probably just something like a banana on a vine. I need small icons (16x16, 32x32 and 48x48) for the application and a larger logo for the website. (probably ~150x150 or 300x300 or I don't know, we can scale down whatever).

I'm willing to pay a modest sum, like $10 or so... I'm poor. Or, if you love Smogon, you could do it for free and an art badge!!!! Thanks a lot guys.

(Zracknel: don't think I've forgotten about your drawings for Sly! It's turned into my research project for undergrad honors and will probably carry on to PhD research... thanks a lot for your efforts!)

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
heres a quick sketch since my photoshops is lagging like hell

as you can or cant see is a banana and a vine that forms a shape of an ear

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Meh, it's a simple design, but I liked it.

EDIT: Was working out some kinks in the main logo. Still needs some work (even though it's such a simple design)

EDIT2: Working on a new design, might have it up tomorrow or Wednesday...

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
The 48x48 icon isn't a great way to show off the design; I'd prefer seeing the larger version appropriate for a website first.

edit: the ear idea is cool, atlas

Before I actually do it, I want to make sure, is it OK to make it "cartoony" ?
Either way, I'm probably making the large version later on tonight.

Here's what I came up with;

It's a telephone; the banana being the headphone and the vine being the wire.
EDIT: Fixed some things in it.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm horrible at art, so I can't contribute anything except wishing you the best of luck with this project, chaos.

Lol, this is my basic idea in big:

368x368

92x92

It's not just right at the moment but that was just the basic idea I came up with; I will change it later to make it look a bit better (shading on small bananas etc). And I need to redo the vine, and probably make the actual bananas a bit of a darker shade.

If you're able to allow some time to see more results I can give this a stab in the next couple days. I'm working all day long today so no photoshop for me :P

chaos

Owner
that's a nice proof of concept - it'd be nice if there were some "vines" somewhere in it though

the sound waves are a good idea

Concept

Sorry for the horrible quality, but the only tools I have are my notebook, and my computer's built in camera.

Anyway I can't take this concept any further due to a lack of tools/artistic skill.

Anyone can build upon this if they want. It is a Banana with the top of the Banana turning into a vine that forms the word vine. Anyway the part where the Banana starts to become a vine can be colored a yellowish green color. Hopefully I am giving a clear enough picture as to what I mean.

I added a color outline to give a clearer idea. The yellow is the banana, the light green is where it starts to become a vine, and the green is the vine itself.

I like cartoon's and atlas'. they both have a more professional look IMO.

Good luck chaos, I'll try to think of something original.

chaos

Owner
Cartoons, that's a decent idea but it looks far too tame in my opinion - it looks like a logo you'd see on some boring corporate site. I don't want something as "wacky" persay, but it shouldn't look stuffy.

Tracker - IMO, the color scheme is a bit too simplistic, and I don't like the way the writing looks.

Chaos Blade - decent, but I don't like the writing either and the banana looks strange with the vine stripes.

Thanks for everyones effort.

Loosely based off of a circuit board; other, more talented artists have total permission to edit/redo this idea if it holds for you chaos.

I also put the name in both places so you could visualize it either way

Nardd, thats a pretty awesome idea.

Heres my new one:

I don't know if shading is needed. I have no idea how to make it IRC related. Maybe have 2 sets bananas linked together?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)