XY OU Category F5: OU Offensive Balence

Hi Guys! Cruton here, and I'm bringing you my personal favorite team that I use regularly. This team is somewhat... odd, to say the least. It focuses on some less common pokemon and movesets to surprise quite a few teams. Part of this team's potency is due to the fact that it is virtually unhindered by stealth rock, meaning that I need not run a spinner or defogger. The pressure that it puts on teams, especially offensive teams, is enormous. It's reached slightly over the 1700 rank in terms of ranking, though it usually hangs around in the 1500's. Anyway, lets meet Category F5!

Steeler (Skarmory) (M) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

Aside from its nickname, this thing is the balls. Yes, this is a Suiskarm lead-off set, and it performs it's job quite well. Hazard-stacking is extremely underprepared for, and is useful to wear down rock-resistant pokemon, such as Metagross and Garchomp, with spikes. Taunt is useful for stopping leads that are uninvested in speed like Heatran and bulky Lando-T. Whirlwind is for keeping it from being setup bait (which it otherwise would be for virtually every sweeper), and Spikes and Stealth Rock are both there for obvious hazard-stacking purposes. The Custap Berry was chosen to allow Skarm to set up two layers of hazards on pokemon that can KO it without sturdy, such as Mega Manectric.

Deadpool (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Like the actual Deadpool, my Tornadus-T is a sociopathic regenerating killer. Anyway, Tornadus-T is most often found wielding an assault vest, but I went a slightly fore offensive route. Deadpool acts as something of a lure for my team- It easily baits in Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Scizor and can bop them with Heat Wave, usually for the OHKO. Superpower is necessary (I honestly would like to run knock off, but I can't really fit it in.) for scoring KOes on TTar, AV Excadrill, Heatran, and the blobs. The latter two, however need some prior damage to be KOed, but this isn't too difficult to accomplish with my fast playstyle and hazard-stacking ways. Hurricane is the obligatory STAB move, and while it does have accuracy that makes me want to cry, it's power is something to behold. U-Turn is amazing for getting chip damage in, as well as gaining momentum and working amazingly with Regenerator.

Toad (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Rock Tomb

Ah, yes. My little Toad. Breloom is a good pokemon in the current meta, and with the LO a halfway decent stallbreaker. I like Breloom because it is actually quite diverse, being able to threaten stall with bullet seeds that hit at a meaty 112.5 power with three hits, factoring in Technician, and faster offensive teams with a brutally fast and powerful Mach Punch. Spore is guaranteed to put something to sleep so long as the pokemon facing Breloom is slower. (and the opposing team doesn't have any grass types left.) Technician-boosted Rock tomb can hit would-be counters Latios, Gengar, Talonflame, Lando-I and Charizard on the switch, Dropping their speed or just KOing them outright. I chose the LO over the Focus Sash simply because I believe that the sash leaves breloom with an absence of power, hence hindering it's ability to revenge bulkier threats like Megazard X, as well as giving it a better shot against stall.

Chess (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Iron Head

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the main event! Yes, Chess the Bisharp is essentially my ace in the hole. It's extremely efficient at making defoggers think twice about ridding the field of hazards, and can rip through weakened teams like a hot knife through butter. Furthermore, Mega Manectric and Lando-T (two pokemon that my team has trouble with) give Chess a +1 attack boost every single time they come in on him, allowing chess to punch massive holes in their team. It's moveset is straightforward but extremely deadly. Sucker Punch can pick off almost any offensive threat with the slightest bit of damage on it, and can usually deal at least 50% to common setup sweepers. Knock Off packs a major punch coming off of Bisharp's 125 attack, further bolstered by the Life Orb and an adamant nature. Iron Head rarely sees usage, but it's primarily uses to KO Sylveon, as well as Mega Altaria on the switch. It also hits and 2HKOs Azumarril. Finally, a somewhat nonstandard move in low kick. This move, whilst only hitting a few select targets, can be used to blast past Heatran and Ferrothorn, as well as hit other Bisharp for the KO. All in all, Chess is probably the most important member of my team and is good at putting opposing teams into... *Puts on Sunglasses* ...Checkmate. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Spin Cycle (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

You guys might want to take a break. No, truly. Recovering from puns as bad as mine can take time and usually medical attention. Anyway, This is where my team takes a more balanced than offensive tangent, although Spin Cycle is still very efficient at dishing out punishment. As you may have noticed, I use a somewhat unconventional EV spread, investing in HP and Special attack rather than a full-on defensive spread, as well as a moveset that drops rest or pain split for thunderbolt. Anyway, Spin Cycle here is used as a way to completely shut down all forms of talonflame, which my team can also struggle with (though not really that badly). The moveset is slightly tailored as I already previously mentioned. Hydro Pump is there for an outstanding water STAB, being able to wipe anything weak to it off the planet. Volt Switch allows it to form a strong Voltturn core with Deadpool, while thunderbolt is a secondary STAB that's more accurate than Hydro Pump. Finally, Will-o-wisp shuts down any physical attacker that can't OHKO it. Overall, Spin Cycle is basically the glue of my team.

Hank (Aggron-Mega) (M) @ Aggronite

Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Look up there! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, It's Hank the Mega Aggon, falling from the sky to squash everything below it. That's honestly all that it does. It just sits on everything. Now let's get on to the threatlist. What? You want an in-depth explanation? Alright, fine. Mega Aggon is an odd choice, especially since this is an offensive team. Hank the Mega Aggon is my status absorber as well as my main fairy counter. It's the only 'mon on my team able to switch in on Megagarde, Sylveon, and most importantly, Mega Altaria. The set is as straightforward as it comes. Heavy slam, while somewhat inconsistent, packs much more of a punch that Iron head on most occasions. Resttalk allows him to stall out mons, absorb status, and all in all just keep him pounding away. Earthquake is there to take out many other pokemon that resist heavy slam, such as Heatran, Magnezone, and Raikou. (To name just a few.) Ice punch can definitely be used over earthquake to KO the Landorus twins and dragons that are 4x weak to ice. I have tried megagross in this spot, but ti just didn't accomplish what I wanted it to. Anyway, to the threatlist!

Ugh. This thing gives me problems, to say the least. To take it out, I usually have to use Mach Punch, Sacrifice Toad and then sucker punch it to death with Chess. And if it's a substitute varient- well, my situation gets ever worse. Furthermore, even after it's gone, Deadpool's hurricane is at 50% accuracy, and my whole team takes more from fire moves. However, It's outright destroyed by SR, so if I can keep in on the field, it won't completely wreck my team.

While not nearly as big of a threat as Megazard Y, this thing still can give me problems. It can outright outspeed and OHKO half my team. However, it can be wrecked by Toad's mach punch and Hank can tank a High Jump Kick and deal heavy damage back, whilst Spin Cycle can tank a hit and burn or deal heavy damage, so it isn't too much of a problem.

Basically in the same vein as Mlop: Can outspeed and OHKO half the team. However, due to its constant volt switch shenanigans, It easily finds itself wont down and easily KOed by a priority move. Oh, and Chess can take advantage of its Intimidate ability with defiant. Still, a major threat.

Ok, so that's it! I didn't include replays because I don't currently have any at hand, but if it really matters I can include some in an edit. Anyway, tell me what you think and please, offer suggestons. Thank you! <(''<) (>'')> (^'')> <(''^)

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi there, really interesting team you have there with a different approach for offense. I realized your team might be a little weak to a Will-O-Wisp + Taunt Talonflame with SpDef investment because Rotom is apparently your only counter to it which can be worn down rather quickly by Will-O-Wisp. Another weakness might be Mega Gardevoir because even a Mega Aggron gets blown back by Focus Blast

232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 211-250 (61.3 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nothing switches into Mega Gardevoir safely on your team so it can potentially get a kill every time it gets to come in. What I'll like to suggest is actually running a bulky Scizor so that it can help your team deal with Gardevoir better. Not just will it patch up some fairy weakness like Gardevoir and Diancie but it can help against Kyurem-B which is soaring in usage right now. However as for what to replace on your team for the Scizor might be an issue but I am leaning towards Rotom-W and you can run Rock Slide on Mega Aggron so that it acts as your Bird-Spam check instead of Rotom-W however this might aggravate the Mega Charizard-Y weakness further. Another alternative is to run Choice Scarf Tyranitar to help cope with Charizard-Y as it forces a 50/50 on Pursuit or Stone Edge and with Stealth Rocks up on the field, it pressures the Mega Charizard-Y further. This way, Tyranitar can be used as your Bird Spam check instead but you'll have to rely on Mega Aggron more on keeping the Fairies in check. It seems impossible to fix the 2 weakness without changing the structure of your team too much. Apart from that, the team seems really solid. :]

Ok,thanks for the input! Your suggestions seem really solid, but as you somewhat already mentioned, I'm basically having "six teamslot" syndrome. I could run Scarftar over Rotom-W, but then I have no switch in to the stallbreaker talonflame set, which is friggin' everywhere right now. I feel that the only kind of bulky Sciz is Megasciz, which I would be willing to put in face of Hank. In fact, I'm going to try it out right after I'm done typing this post. The most open member of the team I'd be willing to replace is Hank, probably with something more offensive. On second thought, Scarftar would be a great answer to Megazard Y, so Maybe I will include him. Anyone have any more suggestions?

My normal scizor is great with a single swords dance. Make sure it has technician to completely utilize it well.

Your team also has a huge ground type weakness that garchomp can easily come in and wreck due to the amount of steel types on your team.

Mega charizard x can also mess up your team due the amount of steel types. Only rotom it seems can really break him.

Megazard X has never been a problem, or at least not as big of one as you described. Most DD Varients are checked my MAggron, as they will usually DD up, Take an EQ, fail to OHKO with Flare blitz and either die if recoil or to another EQ. Also, there isn't a single member of my team bar skarm that can't do 50%+ to Megazard X before it dies. Bulkychomp can be put to sleep by toad, and scarfchomp can be worn down, picked off, and taken advantage of by various mamber of the team. Thx for the input though!

P.S. Of course you run technician on Sciz. It would be dumb not too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)