Catalonians vote to ban bullfighting

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/28/catalonia-vote-on-bullfighting-ban

The Catalonia parliament in Barcelona has voted to ban bullfighting, a move that rejects a hallmark of traditional Spain in a region with its own language and culture.

The ban approved in the local legislature vote means the wealthy north-east coastal region becomes the first in mainland Spain to outlaw the deadly ballet of sword-wielding matador and charging half-tonne beast.

The practical effect of such a move is likely to be limited: Catalonia has only one functioning bullring, in Barcelona – another disused one is being turned into a shopping mall – and it stages 15 fights a year which are rarely sold out. Nationwide, there are approximately 1,000 a season.

Still, bullfighting buffs and Spanish conservatives are taking the drama very seriously. They see a stinging anti-Spanish rebuke in a grassroots, anti-bullfighting drive that started last year and culminated in the vote in the 135-seat Catalan parliament.

The final result was 68 in favour of prohibition and 55 against. The first Spanish region to outlaw bullfighting was the Canary Islands, in 1991. But fights were never that popular there and when the ban took effect there had not been one for seven years. So Catalonia's is a much more potent case, even if bullfighting is not as popular there as it is in Madrid or Andalusia in the south.

Along with the Basque region, Catalonia has the most self-rule among Spain's semi-autonomous regions, running its own police force and having a say over a wide range of other issues. But many Catalans are angry because Spain's highest court recently trimmed the region's self-rule charter.

Josep Rull, a spokesman for the centre-right Catalan nationalist coalition called Convergence and Union, denied that the drive to do away with bullfighting is anti-Spanish, insisting it is simply a case of a society whose values have evolved. He likened the change to Britain's decision to outlaw fox hunting with hounds in 2004.

"Was that an exercise in rejecting English, British and Scottish roots? No," Rull said from Barcelona.

Bullfighting may have been popular in Catalonia decades ago – Barcelona once boasted three bullrings – but tastes have changed, and for most Catalans today, Rull said, "the suffering and death of a living being cannot be turned into a public spectacle".
It appears the Catalonian region of Spain have narrowly voted in favour of a ban on bullfighting. Personally, as an animal lover I'm in favour of this ban. It's about time this anacronistic and barbaric practise started to come to an end.

At least Spain doesn't allow kids under 16 to bullfight, unlike Mexico. That's good, right?

The ban doesn't affect me at all, though from the standpoint of a human being, I would say that the idea of letting people fight for their lives with against a several-hundred pound bull appalls me. I guess the draw for the matadors is the chance to become wealthy, and I think they should be able to follow their dreams if that's what they want to do, but I can't imagine standing in a ring with a bull while people watch.

On that note, I can't believe that people watch this sport! They are paying to watch the death or severe injury of two living beings, and that is the worst part of it imho.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm guessing the Catalan parliement was mostly motivated by clearly setting itself apart from Spain and its national symbols rather than actually oppose bullfighting because they tought it medievally barbaric.. even if that was likely the first given reason to ban it.

However, it remains pretty typical of the Spanish to see anti-spanish resentment in a decision like that ; ethnic majorities need to appease themselves into believing ethnic minorities' sole motivation for self-determination spawn out of racism towards the dominant nation.

I see this ruling simply as another statement by the Catalans that they aren't Spanish, not being so should not lead to anti-spanish conclusions.

*shrug* sounds like a good ruling to me. I think bullfighting is probably a bit out dated, what with the explicit violence resulting in the death of at least one thing every match and all, so it's kind of about time.

As for the whole "anti-spanish" thing, I think that's just politicians creating their usual mountains out of molehills, and extremists doing the same. These people specifically look for offense in these sorts of things. In the case of the politicians, it likely benefits them politically and in the case of the extremist Spanish conservative citizens, well, they're just being extreme(ly sensitive). It is likely that the politicians in Catalonia had some intention of asserting their self-rule, but unlikely it was formulated as a direct act of rebellion. However if the Spanish government overreacts, then I'd say there's a damn good chance of Catalonia pushing back.

I'm guessing the Catalan parliement was mostly motivated by clearly setting itself apart from Spain and its national symbols rather than actually oppose bullfighting because they tought it medievally barbaric.. even if that was likely the first given reason to ban it.

However, it remains pretty typical of the Spanish to see anti-spanish resentment in a decision like that ; ethnic majorities need to appease themselves into believing ethnic minorities' sole motivation for self-determination spawn out of racism towards the dominant nation.

I see this ruling simply as another statement by the Catalans that they aren't Spanish, not being so should not lead to anti-spanish conclusions.
They seemed pretty Spanish in the world cup. Maybe they feel guilty for supporting Spain and want to reassert their identity.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah I guess.

They also have no FIFA-sanctionned national team of their own, unlike say Scotland and the team had plenty of players from FC Barcelona. I know theres push for them to eventually get their own national team sanctionned (which exists and is even I believe coached by the FC Barcelona coach).

I think 7 or 8 of the Spanish players are Catalonian, like Xavi and Puyol, so they'd be quite a good team. Is there much chance of their team being sanctionned?

I don't know much about bullfighting, but it actually doesn't sound terrible for the animal if you think about it. It's kept alive and I assume well taken care of (unhealthy bulls can't fight well, after all). Better life than being slaughtered for meat, but worse than being kept as a breeder, where he has free roam of pastures and plenty of mates. I guess it depends on if it's killed humanely when it gets seriously injured.

In terms of cruelty to the animal, yes it's probably not as bad as intensive farming. But, firstly "Y is worse than X" is not a valid defense of X (unless X and Y are mutually exclusive). Secondly, farming animals for meat can be seen as "useful", in a way bullfighting is not.

England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are historical exceptions really. It's probably their involvement in IFAB (the rulemakers, older than FIFA) that means they remain four associations. And they were seperate from the start.

There are a few other FIFA Member Associations that aren't fully-independent nations. But they have some degree of autonomy, and also tend to be geographically far from the "parent" nation and thus in different regional Confederations.

I don't know much about bullfighting, but it actually doesn't sound terrible for the animal if you think about it. It's kept alive and I assume well taken care of (unhealthy bulls can't fight well, after all). Better life than being slaughtered for meat, but worse than being kept as a breeder, where he has free roam of pastures and plenty of mates. I guess it depends on if it's killed humanely when it gets seriously injured.
My Spanish teacher explained why its crueler, but I can't remember why =/ In theory the bull is killed instantly if stabbed in the right place but this rarely happens. I think its considered bad taste to watch an animal being killed for entertainment rather than a legitimate purpose ie. food. To me that seems like double standards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)