CaP 24 Prevo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Hey all!

As we move in with our discussions for abilities after deciding to keep Jumbao's typing, let's get all of our wonderfully talented artists involved! You can see the designs and ideas that went into Pipotchi's stellar Jumbao design HERE.

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of the CAP 24. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full-sized image, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
    • The image has a file size of no larger than 200 kB.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists must include a warning when posting links to images with file sizes exceeding 500 kB.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the main design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image must have a file size of no more than 200 kB.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

Our Prevo So far:

Typing: Grass/Fairy

Guess I'll start off with my little WIP (Version 3 now, to avoid double posting)

Front+Back view
smol kodama sprout/twig with Jumbao's mask. Once it evolves into Jumbao, that same mask becomes one with its body.

EDIT2: Fixed the body a little, changed the face and made the leaves sharper again. The sharp leaves vs. round leaves debate was interesting; I made the leaves sharper at first because it's my style and looking up baobab sprouts showed me they mostly had sharper leaves. On observation, sharper leaves give more personality with the new face I made so I'll be going with that.

EDIT: Did some touch ups to make it similar to Jumbao such as rounding leaves, altered palette to be more brighter and fit as a sprout, redid mask

Old version 2
Old version

If there's no more critique, I'll most likely have this as my final submission.

Last edited:

felt like giving it a shot. is kinda like a smaller jumbao, but i dunno. inb4 the image is too big...

Last edited:
WIP

May have to reduce the size for the final pic but here's a fruity babby :D

Based on a baobab fruit and a Roman candle firework! Since Jumbao's got arm cannons, I figured giving the pre-evo a partial basis on fireworks and explosives would be a good way to continue the theme.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

I tried to see how would a baby Jumbao would look like if it walked on four legs, without arms.
EDIT: Fixed a little shading problem

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

This is an old update that I shared on Discord!
Currently, there's complaints that it looks like an old man that would pop out of garden pots and give you the finger before bouncing away, so I'm working on changing it. atm, it's heavily inspired by pikmin and bamboo saplings.

WIP

Certain varieties of the baobab tree actually have very cool-looking blossoms. It can be a bit hard to tell that Jumbao is a Fairy type just by looking at it, so I think a flower-themed prevo might be a good way to bring out that aspect of its typing. I even made a pink version of it, but decided I liked the original coloring better.

I included the shimenawa in its hands because I like the idea the shimenawa grows with Jumbao over time, and its size is related to its age and strength. Sort of like tree rings, but with rope twists.

If anyone has comments on the white vs. pink coloring, or other suggestions on how to improve the design, let me know. :) I did double check all the rules, but I am very new to the forums, so hopefully I did everything right.

EDIT: Cleaned some thicker parts of the outline and added tassels to the end of the rope to make it clearer that it's being held, and not wrapped around it. Sadly, major edits are going to be difficult because even if I were to draw and scan a new outline, I'm still doing the coloring with a trackpad, which is manageable but slow since I'm used to having a tablet.

Last edited:
WIP

Heres mine so far! When I think of fairies I think of bunnies, so I kinda went that route. Size-wise this would have its face about the same size as jumbao, but everything else is naturally shrunk down. I like how the tree mons seem to change from something tiny into something huge.

Some critiques for everyone else:

Felis Licht i really love your first version with the sharper leaves! Its got such a better silhouette, its okay that the leaves change when it evolves. And the old face has so much more expression and fun!

Okamu it looks fun so far. I think what it is missing right now is a lack of a standout feature to guide the whole design. It looks like Jumbao with features removed, which isnt a bad thing but it should also have its own personality and standout "thing". Once you work that out I think itll be in a good place.

ZardX is it a pineapple for real? :D Its kinda confusing to me as to the connection to jumbao. theres nothing wrong with the big change between color of it and jumbao but i more wonder why it has the face of a baobab fruit but then also looks like the body of another fruit.

Squidy822 its cute! id consider removing the bows at the back and see what that silhouette looks like. i generally like the idea of the skinny legs,so you can push forward with that. keep it up!

Falchion this is a really good design, i hope you go with these colors rather than the sharper orange colors shown recently cus these ones look really nice together and match bao.

Gravity Monkey its looking good so far! I think the design is going well. maybe you can experiment with different masks/expressions and try and get one which is the most fun (not necessarily cheerful) but its all pretty cohesive at the moment! you could also try some different arms cus theyre okay right now but worth experimenting with

Sunfished it looks good! i already gave you critique about it looking old but im sure u will make something awesome in the end

SuessMD well this is an interesting take on the prevo that stands out from the others. good job on that. i dont know if the belt looks right at the moment though, but i like the other features. the half-covered face is a good feature that transitions into the mask of the evolution!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Guess I'll start off with my little WIP

Front+Back view

EDIT: Did some touch ups to make it similar to Jumbao such as rounding leaves, altered palette to be more brighter and fit as a sprout, redid mask

smol kodama sprout/twig with Jumbao's mask. Once it evolves into Jumbao, that same mask becomes one with its body.

Old version
Sharp leaf prevo looks buttloads better my friend.

WIP

Decided to go with Jumbao's color scheme but with a slightly brighter shade of red than the bow for some of the accents. I worried a little about it being too much like the evo so I tried a bunch of brighter color palettes like a ripe fruit, but in the end I think this works the best for the lil' guy. Baobab fruit are pretty dull-colored anyways, so if anything it's his overall shape that sets him apart from the Giga Tree.

If nobody else has any other feedback, I think this will be what I'll use for my final sub; comments are still appreciated nonetheless!

Bonus support art:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Decided to go with Jumbao's color scheme but with a slightly brighter shade of red than the bow for some of the accents. I worried a little about it being too much like the evo so I tried a bunch of brighter color palettes like a ripe fruit, but in the end I think this works the best for the lil' guy. Baobab fruit are pretty dull-colored anyways, so if anything it's his overall shape that sets him apart from the Giga Tree.

If nobody else has any other feedback, I think this will be what I'll use for my final sub; comments are still appreciated nonetheless!

Bonus support art:
Can't we make it happy :(

Final Submission (edited)

preevo cap 24.png

Here is the finished result of my pre-evolution for Jumbao! It's feet are too short, which means it has to spin around to move. It absorbs rain and sunlight to help grow legs and increase the hardness of it's body. The reason for the bright color scheme is because it is young.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume its okay for me to have a post for comments separate from my submission post, since they serve different purposes and and were posted at different times.

Falchion I like both color palette you posted here, although I am leaning towards the second one because it matches the original color scheme better while still being sort of unique with the red. I really enjoy the firecracker concept and the art that goes with it. It does look sort of grumpy though.

Pipotchi I do kind of want to see Fairy elements in the prevo, which isn't something I get out of a lot of the submitted designs, but as soon as I read your post I was onboard for the bunny concept. (I always thought Buneary would have been a plausible Normal/Fairy type.) I don't even have any useful comments to make because it's just . . . so cute. Thank you for your feedback on everyone's designs (including mine)! I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

Felis Licht I'm going to take what seems to be a controversial position on the sharp leaf/rounded leaf question - I actually prefer the new design (rounded leaves), because of the friendlier mask. The old design, as posted, looks like a Grass/Fighting type, which has already been a common confusion with Jumbao. The sharp leaves by themselves would probably be okay, but I like the mask with the round eyes much better than the mask with the slit eyes. Maybe you could play around with the mouth (or lack thereof) and see if it can be expressive without looking like it wants to punch something in the face?

Sunfished I don't have much to say about it right now, but I like the Pikmin shape and I'm interested to see where you go with it.

Sorry I'm not going to comment on everyone (I'm not as thorough as Pipotchi, sadly). Most of the other designs I'm just not sure what to say about them right now. It's harder for me to comment on the ones that look very similar to the original. It's a completely reasonable design concept, but as a matter of personal preference I tend to be more interested in the ones that have some distinctly different feature, like a different shape or different use of the color palette.

Good luck everyone! I'm excited to see how the prevo will turn out.

Falchion I like both color palette you posted here, although I am leaning towards the second one because it matches the original color scheme better while still being sort of unique with the red. I really enjoy the firecracker concept and the art that goes with it. It does look sort of grumpy though.
Can't we make it happy :(
The expression on the mask is essentially an inversion of Jumbao's happy mask with the eyes slanting down. I figured such a reversal upon evolving would be fitting, especially since my design is a fruit, meaning everything wants to eat it a la Bounsweet. This is why it uses blasts of fireworks to protect itself, and also why one of my original pitches had it launch itself out of harm's way like a rocket (maybe this design could do the same? IDK).

I'm probably sticking with this color palette and this expression for my final sub, because having it be constantly sad and fearful of being nommed means it wouldn't smile often. That and I like the shade of red I gave it in my previous post.

WIP

Finally got around to finishing up a rendition I was trying. The shading is done now (though I'm still terrible at it), and I've added a headpiece based off of the chonmage and baobab flower.

Felis Licht I absolutely love the rounded leaves. The humor of a tiny leaf spirit evolving into a large sumo tree is just wonderful, and it reminds me of other flip-flop evolutions like Delcatty and Purugly. My only thing is I'd like to see a version with a more rounded look to the feet. The points just seem a bit off for me personally. Still, probably my favorite right now.

Falchion I really want to like this one, because I enjoy the idea of a firework plant. But for some reason, whenever I look at it with the firework art, combined with the red/previously orange colors, I get a fire vibe more than a fairy one. I feel like if the pink of the sap was worked more into the design somehow, that mischaracterization might be better, but at the same time, buying into the cliché isn't something we all want to do.

Sunfished My only suggestion would be maybe making the top stem/leaf more like an actual baobab's top. Bushier greenery and maybe two stems instead of one? Right now I like the style of the design, but the blatant Pikmin-ness makes me a bit hesitant to like it.

Pipotchi This is adorable, but it's either the angle of the mask or the proportions of the head relative to the rest of the design that make me not like this as much as I could. The way it's posed right now makes me think it only ever can face directly upward, which in turn makes the 'ears' jut out diagonally/sideways. And when I think of bunnies, that pose just becomes a bit unnatural.

Aigudot Hi there! You already Final Subbed, so I can't really comment on the art, but based on your PRC Application post, I'm gonna assume you're newer to CAP, so welcome! Just to avoid tagging you in two posts in two threads, I'll quickly mention here that you don't need to apply to the PRC to be an artist! When the art thread pops up during the process, you're just freely able to contribute (as you've done here). On a similar note, since CAP is a community process, and we vote on the different stages, you shouldn't name your creation when you design it (We have a separate name-submission process after art), nor should you indicate stats or stat biases (Stats are decided in their own stage of the process as well). Still, when those stages do come around, you're completely able to participate and submit your ideas at that place and time! Again, no PRC designation required.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Support art

Decided to go with brown spots and red strap/cheeks/feet/top, because it seems the most natural while providing the "pop" I intended. Instead of fireworks, he now shoots pink "fairy dust" made from dried sugars stored inside his pith, which occasionally burst in a fireworks-like dust explosion as a foreshadowing of the Fire-type moves his evo can learn.

Special thanks to everybody on the Discord and this thread who provided their suggestions and feedback! ^v^

Final Submission

I cleaned the lines a little more, but I don't think I'm going to make any more edits, and I want to at least submit this before I go travelling. I enjoyed this process, I hope I can submit more art to CAP in the future (even if it never goes anywhere).

EDIT: My screen is kind of grubby, and I totally didn't notice how much artifacting there was from the scan. So sorry. Hopefully it's legal now, I redid the background fill in white.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)