CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 2 - Typing Poll 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grass/Ghost

A Dragon-type with access to Shell Smash, Tail Glow, Quiver Dance, or Gear Shift? I don't understand how that becomes a bulky attacker "Serperior type spread" we wanted earlier. I don't see how Poison/Dragon is a good idea at all.

OU doesn't need anymore Dragons, with 9 out of 11 of all fully evolved non-uber Dragon types solidly in OU (leaving out only Druggidon and Altaria). Giving it a Dragon with infinite options in regards to boosting or offensive coverage (which, as a Dragon, it will get regardless), excellent Poison type resistances (Fighting, Grass, Bug), and the best offensive STAB in the entire game teaches us next to nothing about our concept, it just teaches us how broken a Dragon can be with almost limitless options and even better defensive typing than Dragon/Ground or Dragon/Flying. I urge everyone to think, and not vote for Poison/Dragon typing. It will be broken.

Poison/Dragon

This type combination would have a fantastic set of resistances, lending itself well to the 'bulky' archetype. As Aldaron pointed out in an earlier thread,
If we're look for effectiveness in BW OU, note that the only Pokemon that resist all of Fighting (for fighting spam and Terrakion / Virizion / Scrafty in general), Water (for Rain), Electric (for Rotom and Thunder spammers in Rain), and Fire (for Sun teams) are Latias and Latios. Both however have the misfortune of being weak to U-turn (Scizor is a top 5 used Pokemon) and Pursuit (Tyranitar is a top 5 used Pokemon), two crippling issues which often prevent players from easily switching either in during competitive play.

A Poison / Dragon gives us the only Pokemon ever that would resist Fighting / Water / Electric / Fire / Bug and be neutral to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock, meaning, in this BW OU metagame, it could switch in much more easily than expected and carry out whatever its Sketch strategy is. The ability to switch in allows it many opportunities to set up should we decide on a defensive or support build.
Aldaron goes on to mention scary things like Draco Meteor combined with a sketched Quiver Dance. For those who are afraid that making it a dragon will be a cop-out offensively (as I do), here's a novel idea: Who says that a Dragon-type CAP2 is automatically going to get Outrage and Draco Meteor as available moves? Making it use its sketch move for a high-powered Dragon-type move would severely limit its ability to abuse STAB. (Of course, this will be determined later. I merely want to point this out as an option.)

Lastly, Poison is my favorite type in the game, and I think a poison dragon would just be freakin' cool.

Grass/Ghost

While I thought Electric/Poison was far and away the best typing for the concept, I'd really have been happy with any of the choices except Poison/Dragon. I think, while it is undoubtedly an effective typing, it won't have many options available to it in terms of sets (basically what bugmaniacbob I think said in the last poll thread.) Grass/Ghost gives us more room to be creative, I think. And, really, I don't want stacking dragons to be any more of a viable strategy in OU than it already is... fuck sake.

Grass/Ghost

Poison / Dragon

I honestly don't see where all the comments about Dragon having an "unlimited movepool" are coming from.
You don't? Take a look at Dragonite's and Latios's movepool. They have about one move EACH (Latios wants Fire Blast... I actually can't think of what Dragonite wants besides an extra moveslot...) that they wish they had, and oh look, this one will have sketch to rectify that problem.
Do NOT go with Dragon on this one. It won't end well.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Poison / Dragon

Aldaron in previous topics said:
If we're look for effectiveness in BW OU, note that the only Pokemon that resist all of Fighting (for fighting spam and Terrakion / Virizion / Scrafty in general), Water (for Rain), Electric (for Rotom and Thunder spammers in Rain), and Fire (for Sun teams) are Latias and Latios. Both however have the misfortune of being weak to U-turn (Scizor is a top 5 used Pokemon) and Pursuit (Tyranitar is a top 5 used Pokemon), two crippling issues which often prevent players from easily switching either in during competitive play.

A Poison / Dragon gives us the only Pokemon ever that would resist Fighting / Water / Electric / Fire / Bug and be neutral to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock, meaning, in this BW OU metagame, it could switch in much more easily than expected and carry out whatever its Sketch strategy is. The ability to switch in allows it many opportunities to set up should we decide on a defensive or support build.

However, Poison / Dragon is additionally attractive in that the Dragon STAB opens up interesting offensive options as well should we decide to go that route; Quiver Dance with Draco Meteor (to OHKO things) or simply Dragon Pulse (to sweep) or Coil with Outrage / Dragon Claw / Dual Chop both would help this remain viable offensively, and an admittedly poor offensive typing in Poison could help us make sure this doesn't sweep with reckless abandon considering a Hidden Power would have to be spent on either Fire or Ground (just don't give it a coverage move).

I think it's important to remind ourselves that this only gets to Sketch once...I'm seeing a lot of questionable "x typing combination will make this broken" posts and with what we have at the moment, this is a really unnecessary fear. Smeargle has access to unlimited sketching and it is only barely UU. I know Smeargle won't have nearly as good a typing combination / stats as we will give this, but it is important to note that even unlimited sketching doesn't break a pokemon (or make it even OU). This is only sketching once; the moves that could potentially break it have to be used in conjunction with other moves, which we can easily take care of in the movepool section (Shell Smash with Baton Pass, Quiver Dance / Coil with too many coverage moves, Spore with all the entry hazards etc.).
Additionally, I'm disappointed to see "too many dragons in ou!!!" as justification for picking Grass / Ghost. Why does that matter?

The only reason you should be picking Grass / Ghost is if you feel Grass / Ghost adheres to the concept in a better manner. Note that Grass / Ghosts resistances are Fighting / Electric / Water / Grass / Normal...the only advantage it has over Poison / Dragon defensively is fighting immunity instead of resist and normal resist (insignificant), whereas Poison / Dragon adds a Fire resistance (useful for sun teams).

Offensively there is nothing Grass / Ghost can do that a Poison / Dragon can't do better.

I really hope all these Grass / Ghost votes are simply due to believing it can be a better sketch-mon design wise and not misinformed thinking that Grass / Ghost can be more effective than a Poison / Dragon defensively or offensively.

Grass / Ghost

I genuinely think that Grass / Ghost allows us the most versatility in Sketch options, offensively, in support, and even defensively. I also feel that Poison / Dragon would be exceptional and is certainly not broken or terrifying offensively even with Sacred Fire and Shell Smash; I merely believe that it is slightly less multifaceted than Grass / Ghost, which is why I am voting as I am. I wouldn't have slated Poison / Dragon if I didn't think it'd make for a stellar and balanced CAP with our concept, and I genuinely am glad that the community has chosen two fantastic typings for this final poll. Either way, this will end well for the CAP.

P.S. I will probably get home from work at roughly the time the poll should close, but if another mod is around before I get here it'd be awesome if they could close it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)