Data Candles of Known Brightness: OU edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cute Charm Moonblast vs. Pixilate Hyper voice on Sylveon?

Technically, Cute Charm can be used to your advantage along with Moonblast's unreliable 30% chance to lower the opponent's SpAtk. However, it seems completely inferior to Hyper Voice which is significantly stronger and hits through subs.
In that case, why not use Surf over Scald's unreliable 30% chance to burn?

That plus Soundproof utterly walling certain Sylveons if they use PixieVoice gives it a niche, and even a little niche is all it takes.

Yeah, remove bite as I mentioned earlier it is used on mega gyrardos

Edit: Antar Apparently the post I was responding to originally has been deleted, causing the confusion. I was responding to a post which included bite and sing by Expulso I think but it was removed

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
What about neutral natures? I think they have no use whatsoever.
Also pokemon that aren't fully EV invested, bar specific exceptions like Shedinja and Ditto.
An argument could be made about IVs too but at this point it's getting a bit too complicated (besides why would anyone want to bother assigning non-competitive IVs)?

In this vain, what about Unnerve Tyranitar, Soundproof Abomasnow, and Flash Fire Ninetales?
In the defense of soundproof abomasnow, it can give him a handful of switch in opportunities, and if you're going to give it a mega stone it can still make use of snow warning when it needs it.

Branflakes325, you basically answered your own question. And if you have to think about it, it's not a candle.

Hidious, you misread my response. I've fixed that post to make it clearer.

dr00, can't do cross-correlations.

Aguav Berry, Figy Berry, Iapapa Berry, Mago Berry, and Wiki Berry. They are all outclassed by Sitrus Berry.
Was gonna say that no one does this, but that's not actually true, for reasons I don't understand. Trick/Pluck?

-Protect found usage on Charizard-X/Y. 1.2%, but usage to show up. Definitely an oddity that is detrimental to Charizard in general.
Explain?
-Synchronize Espeon, used at 3%
I agree that that's a candle.

-Effect spore, Black belt breloom. Registered 3.8 and .8% respectively.
Situational, I'd say.

-Spike Cannon Cloyster? 20 BP normal type move. Yes, hits 5 turns but coverage is awful and no player using cloyster should ever use this. 2.5%
k

Dragonite, Gengar, Togekiss, Infernape, Volcarona all registered actual hits in the item category carrying nothing. Perhaps something to talk about, items and such.
Nothing should ever be carrying nothing in OU. Even Acro users, IMO.

Swarm/Poison Point Scolipede.

| Poison Point 1.290% |
| Swarm 0.396% |

Speed Boost is one of the best abilities in the game, the other two just can't compare; nor do I think Scolipede can effectively use them (they both depend on taking a hit and not dying.)

Yeah, remove bite as I mentioned earlier it is used on mega gyrardos
Does Bite ever do more damage than, say, Return? If not, I say it's still a candle.

What about neutral natures? I think they have no use whatsoever.
Yeah, neutral natures are definitely candles.

Also pokemon that aren't fully EV invested, bar specific exceptions like Shedinja and Ditto.
Let me think on this. There are a few fringe cases.

Quick Claw and Focus Band. No serious battler is going to use an item with a 10% chance of working.
Agreed.

Swarm/Poison Point Scolipede.

| Poison Point 1.290% |
| Swarm 0.396% |

Speed Boost is one of the best abilities in the game, the other two just can't compare; nor do I think Scolipede can effectively use them (they both depend on taking a hit and not dying.)
Any fringe uses?

At the Charizard situation: First, Zard-Y is under sun, meaning it can't waste those turns. You could say it's scouting, but you lose coverage while you do so. What do you reasonably give up, because now you give pokemon counter you with more ease.

On Zard-X's side, this is just more it doesn't benefit you. Roost/Sub does exist, but Protect isn't useful in conjunction. The two best sets, Bulky Zard X and DD Zard X can't afford the spot to protect, and they aren't gaining anything in the turn they're protected.

Honestly, if Flame Body Talonflame is okay just because it has a very small situational use, then Water Absorb Politoed and stuff of that nature should be allowed as well. If the requirement is just that you can come up with an argument for it, then I could honestly BS an argument for just about any Pokemon using a completely outclassed ability (i.e. Water Absorb is Politoed's best chance at recovery and lets it switch into Scald without fear of burns, so it's situationally useful). Literally the only reason Talonflame is even remotely viable in OU is because priority Brave Bird / Roost / Tailwind is so insanely good. Flame Body Talonflame is bad just like Water Absorb Politoed is bad, so if you're going to give Gale Wing-less Talonflame a pass, you might as well give Drizzle-less Politoed a pass too.

Just random stuff I noticed in the moveset stats:
-Shell Bell on anything except Lvl 1 Aron (1.5% on Talonflame) [Not sure if you can check for this]
-Inner Focus Bisharp (2.6%)
-Big Pecks Mandibuzz (8.4%) [I might be missing something here]

This seems like a slippery slope. Most Pokémon don't have the luxury of two/three great abilities - they usually only have one which is really great, such that none of its best sets even incorporate any of the others. The situational-usefulness argument doesn't hold, because all abilities do something - that's the point of abilities. Nobody genuinely interested in competitive play is going to use Water Absorb Politoed for anything (it's not even the best recovery, since Politoed's writeup has RestTalk mentioned in Other Options).

For example, Stall Sableye. Situationally, it ensures Payback will be at its most powerful. Is anyone actually going to use Stall Sableye for Payback damage? No.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Anyone using NFEs that is lacking Eviolite with the exception of P2 (are there any other viable NFEs that don't use it? Pikachu is already on the list of jokemons.) There are a lot of joke teams using Magikarp, Burmy, etc. and with respect to lower tiers, it would be far too chaotic to go out and list every NFE that is completely unviable.

This seems like a slippery slope. Most Pokémon don't have the luxury of two/three great abilities - they usually only have one which is really great, such that none of its best sets even incorporate any of the others. The situational-usefulness argument doesn't hold, because all abilities do something - that's the point of abilities. Nobody genuinely interested in competitive play is going to use Water Absorb Politoed for anything (it's not even the best recovery, since Politoed's writeup has RestTalk mentioned in Other Options).

For example, Stall Sableye. Situationally, it ensures Payback will be at its most powerful. Is anyone actually going to use Stall Sableye for Payback damage? No.
If you can find anything that outdamages a Sableye's Stall Payback, then its niche is worthless.

Water Absorb Politoed is largely outclassed by Vaporeon, but it does have access to Perish Song, and is faster. That's literally it from my reckoning, but there you go.

Any fringe uses?
Poison Point: The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with POISON when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon.
Swarm: When HP is below 1/3rd, Bug’s power increases to 1.5 times.

I honestly can't think of any. Ultra super fringe, maybe, but just comparing it to Speed Boost?
-----------

Thought of a better candle though: abilities that only function in double battles, when a functioning, non-detrimental ability is available (so not Florges.)

| Aromatisse |
| Aroma Veil 65.994% |
| Healer 34.006% |

Healer does not function in single battles. Aroma Veil also gives Taunt immunity. Everything else that gets Healer has a better ability with no drawbacks.

There's also Telepathy, though it is arguably not a candle on Medicham, since it gets Pure Power when Mega Evolving. Gardevoir can actually use its other two abilities, even if it's just for a turn.

Can't think of other doubles-only abilities.

More useless items: Aspear Berry, Cheri Berry, Pecha Berry, Persim Berry, and Rawst Berry which are all outclassed by Lum Berry.
These are all situational if you only care about one type of status.
Just random stuff I noticed in the moveset stats:
-Shell Bell on anything except Lvl 1 Aron (1.5% on Talonflame) [Not sure if you can check for this]
Yeah, I can...
-Inner Focus Bisharp (2.6%)
has a niche
-Big Pecks Mandibuzz (8.4%) [I might be missing something here]
probably has a niche?
Anyone using NFEs that is lacking Eviolite with the exception of P2 (are there any other viable NFEs that don't use it? Pikachu is already on the list of jokemons.) There are a lot of joke teams using Magikarp, Burmy, etc. and with respect to lower tiers, it would be far too chaotic to go out and list every NFE that is completely unviable.
Too hard to measure. Non-Eviolite Chansey I'll give you.

Sergeant Spooky, yeah, Doubles abilities (and moves!) would be good.

Hydro Cannon can be used effectively on Greninja as pseudo-suicide nuke along the same lines of Explosion. Blast Burn seems mostly outclassed by Overheat and Frenzy plant has less viable users (or maybe sceptile/serperior?)

None of them, however, actually have zero competitive use. The only reason I wouldn't actually suggest Hydro Cannon on LO Greninja is that it already has some 4MSS going on, but we're probably not taking 4MSS into consideration with any of these.

Magneton has a niche as a scarfer due to his higher base speed over Magnezone. Scyther can be an effective sweeper with or without Eviolite.

@Payback Sableye, Knock Off comes up 2.5 BP shy with much greater utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)