Calvin and Hobbes: Dear Mr. Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes movie has been made!)

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, you all know as the guy who started the anti-superhero film thread. As a fan of film and Calvin and Hobbes, I'm happy to announce that a film has been made about them! Wait, before you sing praises or curse to the heavens, it's not what you think. It's a documentary about how Calvin and Hobbes legacy and Bill Watterson's struggle to keep it non serialized. This is not an advertisement, I just wanted to share this news and spark discussion. How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a good idea? Will you try to see it?
That's a trailer

Coming out November 15th, and I would just like to say, I'm extremely excited.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This looks really cool. C&H is one of my favorite comic strips. I may try to see this.

what exactly does non-serialized mean? I'd heard it a couple times but never really gave it much thought

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
It means that he didn't want Calvin and Hobbes to become something that could be sold to vendors who would then resell Calvin and Hobbes in the form of novelties such as T-Shirts, Plushies, Coffee Mugs, etc.

That's why when you see Calvin's bumpersticker on trucks/cars that's actually not a legally sold sticker/image of Calvin. If Watterson wanted to I think he could technically sue but I think he doesn't care enough to do so.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Strange, I've seen all kinds of t-shirts fit the strip. Though it would be nice if he could sue to get rid of the ridiculous amounts of bumper stickers I see of Calvin pissing on random stuff

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Strange, I've seen all kinds of t-shirts fit the strip. Though it would be nice if he could sue to get rid of the ridiculous amounts of bumper stickers I see of Calvin pissing on random stuff

All of that must have been illegal. Lots of people have copied calvin onto a t-shirt.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am a big fan of documentaries and Calvin and Hobbes, so I am really looking forward to this. Seems like an interesting subject to base a documentary on.

I'm also impressed that it's going to have a theatrical release. I will definitely check it out if it's near me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)