BW2 Doubles Viability Ranking Thread

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Always watching.

Tip for you guys: do not nominate more than 2 Pokemon at a time, and try to discuss other's nominations, as I will not move anything before at least one agreement (if I don't agree, then at least 2)
Exception: if something is extremely obvious, like moving Arcanine to B ;p

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How is Mew A material? Good movepool isn't everything in Pokemon. If it's a Jack-of-all-trades, but Master-of-none, then it's not qualified to be an A material. To me, Mew does not have the firepower to pull off the offensive Psychic sweeper like Deoxys-A (currently in B) or Latios, and it does not have the bulk to perform the Psychic supporter role like Cresselia. I am always at a loss as to why I would want to use Mew in Doubles - it simply does not have any distinguishing features that sets itself apart, much unlike other pixies, such as Victini, Manaphy, and now Jirachi.

Mew at C rank sounds just about right to me, but it may barely make it to B. Forget about A, though

This is the reason you would want to use Mew:

You are approaching the end of a teambuilding process - you have five teamslots sorted, but you need a glue. You work out two or three key support moves that aren't that well distributed, which would fit your team like a glove. This support is really specific, and absolutely essential to the team. It turns out that Mew has the moves you crave while sporting great bulk. You use Mew. Problem solved.

Because this is the only reason you would ever use Mew, there is not really such a thing as a standard Mew set, which is why it is hard to rate as a Pokemon. It's also probably why nobody has been bold enough to attempt a Mew analysis yet :p.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you be more specific? Have you actually used Mew to back up what you're saying?

Here are the utility moves that Mew learn that Cresselia doesn't: After You, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Snarl, Heal Bell, and Tailwind. I guess if you want to make the most out of Mew, you would be taking advantage of Will-O-Wisp, Snarl, Tailwind, and / or Taunt, but I still don't find it all that appealing.

Can you be more specific? Have you actually used Mew to back up what you're saying?

Here are the utility moves that Mew learn that Cresselia doesn't: After You, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Snarl, Heal Bell, and Tailwind. I guess if you want to make the most out of Mew, you would be taking advantage of Will-O-Wisp, Snarl, Tailwind, and / or Taunt, but I still don't find it all that appealing.
You forgot probably Mew’s best asset in doubles, Fake Out!
Mew is one of the finest fake out supporters in the tier thanks to the fact that he is also a (very good) bulky psychic and has just about any other support move you’d want your team to set up. His typing,speed and will-o-wisp lets him beat many of the other popular fake outers(toxicroak,hitmontop,scrafty,etc.) and he’s one of the only GOOD pokemon with access to fake out and trick room or tailwind or gravity letting him have the option of helping an ally set up or just setting up the condition himself.

His effectiveness as a fake out supporter alone makes Mew much more disruptive to the opposing team than other bulky psychics. This is especially true considering Mew is also very good at spreading burns, making common psychic type checks like bisharp, tyranitar and occa scizor useless (something Cress would kill to be able to do, I seriously couldn’t emphasize enough how amazing will-o-wisp is on a reasonably fast psychic.) Heck, he even gets a fast-ish taunt to stop things like trick room from being set up to add to the disruptive potential.

Mew may not be as bulky as Cresselia, but he has bulk around Musharna’s level and is capable of taking plenty of punishment. Mew still has the bulk and speed to make great use of his more standard support moves like icy wind and helping hand in addition his to his unique moves like the stuff you listed, letting him be a great supporter even after fake out's been used.
I’d personally support Mew for A/B because of his unique blend of fake out and psychic type support with the versatility to fit on most styles of teams. Anything less than B would be kind of a huge understatement to Mew's abilities.

You forgot probably Mew’s best asset in doubles, Fake Out!
Mew is one of the finest fake out supporters in the tier thanks to the fact that he is also a (very good) bulky psychic and has just about any other support move you’d want your team to set up. His typing,speed and will-o-wisp lets him beat many of the other popular fake outers(toxicroak,hitmontop,scrafty,etc.) and he’s one of the only GOOD pokemon with access to fake out and trick room or tailwind or gravity letting him have the option of helping an ally set up or just setting up the condition himself.

His effectiveness as a fake out supporter alone makes Mew much more disruptive to the opposing team than other bulky psychics. This is especially true considering Mew is also very good at spreading burns, making common psychic type checks like bisharp, tyranitar and occa scizor useless (something Cress would kill to be able to do, I seriously couldn’t emphasize enough how amazing will-o-wisp is on a reasonably fast psychic.) Heck, he even gets a fast-ish taunt to stop things like trick room from being set up to add to the disruptive potential.

Mew may not be as bulky as Cresselia, but he has bulk around Musharna’s level and is capable of taking plenty of punishment. Mew still has the bulk and speed to make great use of his more standard support moves like icy wind and helping hand in addition his to his unique moves like the stuff you listed, letting him be a great supporter even after fake out's been used.
I’d personally support Mew for A/B because of his unique blend of fake out and psychic type support with the versatility to fit on most styles of teams. Anything less than B would be kind of a huge understatement to Mew's abilities.
This is actually a pretty damn good argument. I'd say B rank as it gets outclassed in most roles (Attacker, Bulky Support), yet still has an important niche in Doubles that it does very well (WoW Psychic, Fake Out/Taunt, Trick Room and Tailwind, etc) due to its huge Movepool and great base stats.

Lets not forget that Mew was Ubers for a few Gens early on, and for good reason.

ive always kind of wondered at why people haven't been using mew just because of fake out and STAB psychic moves. hell, good STAB and fake out is the reason why people love hitmontop so much.

Alright, so imo, Mew should be A Rank because of a few efficient reasons (most of which Boorego covered; I'm just adding in my own opinions to them):

It has a completely massive support movepool, containing moves such as Fake Out, Thunder Wave, Will O' Wisp, After You, Trick Room, Taunt, Gravity, Hypnosis, Dual Screens, Tailwind, Icy Wind, Role Play, Skill Swap, the ability to set any of the 4 weathers manually, Safeguard, Snarl and Swagger. Nothing else in the metagame has all of these support options. At the same time, it has the biggest offensive movepool in existence as well. I've recently been looking into a moveset of Psyshock, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Protect with an Expert Belt. It shares Cresselia's great super-effective coverage, but with higher BP coverage options, and a higher 100 base SpA. That said, don't expect it to sweep teams, as bulkier threats will usually be knocked down into easy KO range; it generally is just good at softening bulkier threats up for the rest of the team to take out. Mew's typical set that I have seen is Fake Out, Taunt, Will O' Wisp, Filler (sometimes Zen Headbutt, sometimes Gravity, sometimes Tailwind, this slot is always changing). This set capitalizes on Mew's faster Fake Out than Hitmontop, allowing you to stop faster Follow Me users like Togekiss when Top couldn't. It also is great for shutting things down with Taunt, and WoW allows you to cripple physical attackers. Let's be honest here, Mew is glue. You can tailor make its moveset to fit any of your team's needs. Sure, some roles are outclassed, but a ton aren't, such as "Fake Out Lead", "After You Support", etc. Being the only Psychic-type with Snarl is also a pretty big boon too.

From the performances I've seen from it, I would judge it should be A, because you never know exactly what to ext pect, and because its 100/100/100 bulk makes it hard to take down without Ttar, Hydreigon, or others. The additional facts that Mew makes for one of the best Trick Room supporters in existence (ty After You), and that Mew's offensive capabilities are also sufficient, since it has a pseudo-Thunder Wave immunity in Synchronize, make it a very capable Pokemon on the battlefield.

As a final note:

I think we're going a bit overboard here (I also think you are assuming too much, Mew has advantages in attack power and speed over Cress in base stats alone, before we even get to the movepools), Mew can use options Cresselia has WITH options it doesn't. For example, a set like Fake Out, Taunt, WoW, and Sunny Day could efficiently handle various weather teams, especially Sand, which would despise WoW. In terms of usage, I have used After You Mew, and I can confirm that it is amazing at what is does. While I haven't used support Mew, I have played against it various times and can easily back how difficult it is to work around (Fire Gem Overheat off of Rotom-H didn't kill it, and in the meanwhile it WoW'd my poor Hitmontop, putting me in a difficult spot).

So, my summarized conclusion, I am still going for Mew for A.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Let's revive this shit.

Blastoise for B

Two new sets for this thing have made it pretty worthwile in X/Y doubles. Firstly, his biggest change is obviously the mega evolution, giving him far more power, a better movepool and slightly improved bulk. The other, more subtle and possibly overlooked changed, is his new move combinations thanks to breeding mechanics in gen 6.

With Fake Out, Water Spout and acceptable speed, it can work great on a tailwind team, punching holes in general in the enemy team while retaining coverage to hit pokes like jelli and cress hard (Mega launcher dark pulse :]]]]).

As for a non-mega set, breeding mechanics allow it to get passed illegal move sets issues. It now gets access to:
Rain Dish
Fake Out
Icy Wind
Aqua Jet
Mirror Coat
Water Spout
Follow Me
(Credit Chaoswalker )
This allows it to be a great rain supporter.

Thoughts?????

About the above, it is p much theorymonning and we won't be ranking pokes for a meta that hasn't even been completely made yet.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah this is pretty much a done thread. One last move though, unless someone has like super good discussion against it.

Bisharp => B rank

I finally admit that it isn't that amazing...

Bisharp may well end up being better in Gen VI. The introduction of fairies actually gives him a reason to use Iron Head beyond sneaking past Hitmontop, and if Sticky Web gets popular, Bisharp seems perfectly designed to take advantage. He's also less hurt by the Steel-type nerf than others, because he resists Dark and Ghost regardless.

But yeah, Bisharp was pretty one-dimensional and dependent on good prediction. Not as good a Defiant user as Tornadus, not as reliable a priority user as Scizor or Breloom.

Go on, do the honours and close the thread. Hell, you can probably close the whole subforum except for the BH doubles tourney.

Bisharp => B rank

I finally admit that it isn't that amazing...
I agree to this mostly because Conkeldurr has risen in usage and it can completely wipe the floor with Bisharp. Bisharp also doesn't match up as well as you wish it would against common Intimidate users (Hitmontop and Lando-T). I've enjoyed trying out a Focus Sash set on it, though. :>

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, though before it fades into obscurity, I would like to nominate Exeggutor for C-rank. Can set up Trick Room and tank attacks with a bulky EV spread, Harvest and Sitrus Berry. Is not a slouch offensively like Cresselia. It is also great against rain-teams, and can pull off a Chlorophyll set.

The reason for C-rank as opposed to B-rank is that due to its multiple weaknesses that can be easily exploited by some very common Pokemon - Volcarona, Genesect, Scizor, Hydreigon, Tornadus, Salamence, Escavalier, Bisharp, Jirachi (Follow Me), Heatran, Victini and more. It cannot have consistent performance, with it being team-match up dependent and requiring team support to cover its weaknesses.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also if this list is ever updated, move Conkeldurr up to A rank. Deals very high damage, damage which can become incredible with a LO. Strong priority, and great coverage with Fighting- and either Ice- or Rock- type attacks. Great bulk, especially for such a powerhouse, which makes Sitrus Berry viable on it if you don't want LO recoil, or Fist Plate as a compromise between power and bulk. This is only further supported by Drain Punch should you use it, which I personally believe is better than Hammer Arm but it's hard to ignore its raw power. Only 2 weaknesses, making OHKOing it difficult, and with its coverage move, it can actually OHKO a lot of Flying-types in Trick Room. Arguably the best offensive Pokemon in Trick Room and still great outside it. The fact that the #1, #2 and #3 players in VGC Worlds last year had it on their team is a testament as to how good Conkeldurr is.

And now this thread can rest in peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)