Buying a Wii

I was thinking of buying a Wii since it seems so fun... but should I buy it now? How much is it? Should I wait for a special event coming up or anything? Please help! I pretty much have no info.

Well, Im going to wait till the price gets lowered, or Super Smash Bros BRAWL comes out wich ever is first.

But, if theres a cool Special Edition one, I might buy it Before either.

The price isn't dropping for over a year, believe me. The thing is selling like hotcakes, and with Galaxy, Prime 3, Resi Evil 4 Wii ed. and most notably Smash Bros, it's not going anywhere. Smash Bros alone has the potential to equal or best Halo.

Anyway, it's a fun system, although so far most of the games are cheap crappy cash-ins. I wholeheartedly recommend Zelda, Trauma Center, WarioWare and Paper Mario.

Why would the price drop, it's already the cheapest console starting price, 299 is pretty cheap considering your alternative of 600 for a PS3, a 360 isn't even an option, it's 300 and it's obsolete in every way sry microsoft fans

Edit: and another thing, you don't need to buy a game for it right away either, it comes with Wii sports which is entertaining as heck even if you don't rly like sports games, I bought one a few weeks ago along with 4 other games, and I haven't opened a single one yet cause I've been playing Wii sports

Meh I have to disagree, if anything the PS3 is obsolete. Sure it's more powerful than the 360 in theory. In practice though there's not a big enough difference to put them in different leagues, hence virtually all games that come to PS3 will also come to 360, but 360 has more exclusives (Bigger userbase=more games, and 360 has about 10 mil to PS3's 3 mil). It's the PS2 vs Xbox situation all over again, but with role-reversal and PS3 doesn't have Halo to use as a crutch.

Also, IMO, Wii will best them both. As a Nintendo fan I find this great, although right now the quality of most Wii games is atrocious (90% quick cash-ins). The games I mentioned already along with some others will change this. It even has Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, Sadness, Resi Evil 4 and Resi Evil Umbrella Chronicles to shut up anyone who starts with the whole now-archaic "Nintendo is for kids!" argument.

Anyway the Wii is definetly the best bet when it comes to the new systems... hell it costs about half as much as an Xbox360 anyway.

How is the 360 obsolete lol it has Gears of War, Lost Planet, and all sorts of amazing games. not to mention Xbox Live. :s

Wii is more fun if you have people to play with. Zelda and Paper Mario are the only real games you'll be playing, but in June Pokemon Battle Revolution comes out. Then you have Metroid Prime 3 coming out in late August, and by then Fire Emblem 10 and Super Mario Galaxy should be on their way. SSBB is probably the most hyped game for Wii, but there's plenty of other great games coming out. But yeah, so far there's nothing but ports or stupid third party games.

the 360 may have more good games right now, but the same was also true when the last gen came out, but look now. there are like a hundred awesome RPGs for the PS2 and what for the X-box? fable? marrowind? garbage. The 360 is obsolete in every way whereas the PS3 is just having a slow start as always. I am loyal to playstation and nintendo and everyone knows that the PS3 has more capability than both systems. that's all I'll say about it, the point I was trying to make before anyways, is the Wii is the best choice or now

Why would the price drop, it's already the cheapest console starting price, 299 is pretty cheap considering your alternative of 600 for a PS3, a 360 isn't even an option, it's 300 and it's obsolete in every way sry microsoft fans

Edit: and another thing, you don't need to buy a game for it right away either, it comes with Wii sports which is entertaining as heck even if you don't rly like sports games, I bought one a few weeks ago along with 4 other games, and I haven't opened a single one yet cause I've been playing Wii sports
How exactly is the 360 obsolete? I'd love to get a Wii and 360, the games on the 360 look awesome and the Wii is just awesome in general. This is all opinion but saying something is "obsolete" like it is fact is just ignorant. =\

Super Paper Mario owns all! The Wii is very fun, but I haven't played it in awhile. Very good system, can't wait till Battle Rev. comes out.

Actually,the cost is 250 USD,if tat's what you're talking about.

internet, game downloads, news, and a good number of promising titles... i'd say buy one now to get used to it.
(btw, this 'net' thing works pretty well :]... wished it was faster though )

edit: 50-inch screens are great for browsing... it's so big o.o

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Wii60 is the best choice for money, gaming wise, and overall coolness of saying Wii60.

Wii=249.99 USD

DarthMew is a RPG fanboy and thus doesn't care what else the 360 offers in other genres, I was once anti-Microsoft/X-Box but when Sony decided to drop a $600 machine in my lap and say buy it, I decided Microsoft offered the NEAR exact experience for a much lower price, I'll go with Big N and M$ this gen.

And my sig is very funny and applies to this.

I got the Wii around May-time and I'd wholeheartedly recommended it to anyone who can get their hands on it. Zelda alone is very addictive, Wii Sports and WiiPlay are a lot of funs with friends. As was previously mentioned, there's a lot of promising future titles on their way and the over-all money for value is pretty good.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The Wii is my next major purchase, without a doubt. I can't wait to play with Steelicks.*

* not gay**

** maybe a little gay

Wow thanks you guys!~ I might get it when school ends... The good games include: Zelda, Paper Mario, Resident Evil... but those are all single player. I have friends over a lot so are there any good multiplayer games (or is Wii Sports enough?)? Yay I'm so excited now!

Please tell me more good games (those coming out, too).

Wii Sports is fun for multiplayer but a little shallow. ExciteTruck and WarioWare are definite musts for multiplayer, or so I hear from everyone around me.

You have a new Pokemon game coming out this June... and that's pretty much it for now. There's still some cool things to do, especially Virtual Console.

Ahhh there are so many things on the Wii! I am definitely getting it! That virtual console thing looks nice, too! ^.^ How do you get Wii points, though?

And are there any fun co-op games coming out (Gauntlet or Dynasty Warriors style)? Wario Ware is just 1 player switching the control. :P

I haven't used mine in a while... unless you have a lot of friends, I'd wait until better games come out. The price may drop too.

Ahhh there are so many things on the Wii! I am definitely getting it! That virtual console thing looks nice, too! ^.^ How do you get Wii points, though?

And are there any fun co-op games coming out (Gauntlet or Dynasty Warriors style)? Wario Ware is just 1 player switching the control. :P
I'm not sure about co-op yet, but from what I can gather no, I can't really think of any off the top of my head except maybe Super Smash Bros.

You just buy Wii Points at Future Shop/Wal-Mart/EB Games/other stores and insert the card into a slot at the front of your Wii. It'll download the points on the card, and then it'll become worthless. But you have Wii Points now!!!

Oh well, I'll just wait. It looks really fun, though! what should be the first game I get... after WiiSports?

And the Lexx... I can't wait any longer! ^.^;

First game you get should definitely be Zelda Twilight Princess or Super Paper Mario. The former will last you probably 40+ hours of gameplay, and the former is a lot of fun and will last about 20+ hours. Both are excellent games - if you have the cash get them both. Otherwise, Twilight Princess is usually regarded as the better game...

For multiplayer, Wii Sports is quite good on its own, and Wii Play is a must (comes with a controller anyway). Then there's Mario Party 8 which I haven't tried yet but I'm willing to bet it's good despite being similar to the previous 4 or so (if you're like me you stopped paying attention to that series after no. 4, so 8 seems like a good point to get back into it). Mario Strikers is coming too, and later this year we have the end-all multiplayer game, Brawl (and I say this because Melee was IMO the end-all multiplayer game before it). Monkey Ball and Rayman aren't bad either.

As for co-op... Honestly, there's not much on the system itself. Splinter Cell has co-op but it's "OK" at best... Take one look at the VC, though, and you're in co-op heaven. No.1 on your to-buy list should be Gunstar Heroes. Absolutely nothing I can think of is more fun with a friend. Not to mention Streets of Rage 2, Contra, Contra 3, etc. I'm waiting for Secret of Mana though.

So yeah, definetly get:
-The Wii...
-Twilight Princess
-Wii Play (+controller)
-Gunstar Heroes
-Super Smash when that comes out.

Highly consider:
-Trauma Center (I find this to be extremely fun with a friend despite the fact that it doesn't have a multiplayer mode. It's just fun to watch people play, then try to best them. Just an amazing game and the best use of the remote/nunchuck combo yet by far.)
-Paper Mario
-WarioWare
-Mario Strikers when it comes out

The best part of it all is that everything I listed will still run you less than a PS3 and one game.

Wow thanks for all that information! Wii Sports and Wii Play come with the Wii, right? So that's already 2 games! ^.^;

Now... where should I go buy one? Circuit City?

And is Gunstar Heroes co-op?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)