Black Friday Purchases

Hey all, this thread is for the discussion of what deals everyone just got on the recent shopping holiday, black friday. Doesn't have to have been on friday, any black friday deals throughout the week are fine, or anything on cyber monday. I'm pretty interested to see what people buy on black friday.

Anyways I'm not one for crazy crowds on Black friday, so I just ordered a WD 2TB external hard drive for 90$ from amazon, one of the best purchases I have made in a while, seeing as I have the means to fill it up in a few months.

EDIT: My Steam purchases

Indie Pulse Pack - $4.99
KOTOR - $2.50
The Orange Box - $7.50 (Yeah I know its odd to have been on steam for so long and have just bought this)

So what deals did you get?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Steam Thanksgiving Sale
Indie Story Pack - $4.99
Indie Pulse Pack - $4.99
Metro 2033 - $10.00
Secret of Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge - $2.50
Audiosurf 12-Pack - $19.99 (to gift / help anyone who missed it)

Didn't see much else that was very special that I needed. By Boxing Day I might need some winter clothing so I'll look around during that.

46" Apex LCD TV. 1080p resolution and 60Hz refresh rate.

Cost $479 at Target. I originally went to get a 40" for $299 but I saw this and buckled. Waited outside for 3 hours (thank god it wasn't snowing), but the coffee I had pretty much ran right through me and made it a tough time.

I don't regret the purchase but I won't be able to fully abutilize the thing for a few more months (it currently sits like 4 feet from my bed, maybe 7 feet viewing distance). It doesn't seem to want to display in 1080p properly with my Xbox, so I'm going to have to tinker with it some more.

Nothing from any other retailer caught my eye so that was the jist of it.

Gamestop Crap
Playstation Accessory Bundle (PS Controller, HDMI Cable, Wireless Headset) - $29.99
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - $39.99
Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 - $49.99
Killzone 2 - $14.99
Super Street Figher IV - $29.99

Everything here was mainly for my cousins, except for the Accessory Bundle. I really needed a new controller and headset.:D

Steam Sale
Star Wars: KotOR - $2.50
Super Meat Boy - $9.99
Metro 2033 - $10.00

I saw KotOR and Super Meat Boy and HAD to get them. Never played Metro 2033 so I figured, hell, it's discounted, why not.

Figured I'd buy the most expensive shit on Black Friday. I'll play Brotherhood, Super Meat Boy, and Metro 2033 to help me wait for LBP2. :3

Basically, it's an attempt to kick of holiday shopping and is the best and most popular day of the year for discounts.
Retailers open early, shove promotions down your throat.
It's beautiful.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is Black Friday?
In the US, they a holiday have Thanksgiving on the last Thursday of the month. The next day is called Black Friday and is the day that officially kicks off the holiday season with extreme consumerism by the likes of which the rest of the world can only imagine. It's actually kind of disgusting, but yeah. Stores put some things at extreme discounts and people line up to buy those + a bunch of items that aren't on sale but they figure "damn, it's black friday, it must be a great deal!".

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
What is Black Friday?
Speaking as an outsider who saw his first Black Friday last week, it should also be gotten across that you can not imagine the scale of it all: It is amazing (especially when our dollar is really strong and so everything costs half of what it should anyway :)

Also, did anyone else get confused by the two Charmander avatars?

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't know where you get the idea the US dollar is strong. But yes, there are some fantastic deals. We don't have a Black Friday per se in the UK, but there are some early sales promotions around that time to get people shopping, so it's more or less the same. Of course, I can always take advantage of some US deals, since even with the import costs it will still be cheaper than buying local. Sterling is pretty weird for that atm.

Steam Sale

Splinter Cell: Conviction - £10.04 (33% off)
Peggle Deluxe - £3.49 (50% off)
Burnout Paradise - £7.49 (50% off)

That's it, and now I'm out of money.

Never played Metro 2033 so I figured, hell, it's discounted, why not.
The graphics and general atmosphere in Metro 2033 is great, the actual game itself is also good (although I doubt you'll ever play it more than once, I actually got bored before I actually finished it).

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't really get as many Black Friday deals here in the UK as Toothache said, however Amazon.co.uk did have a massive sale running through last week for all 5 days. I managed to score a Nintendo Wii for £50 (roughly $75 I think?) which comes with Wii Sports/Sports Resort and Motion+. Worth £160 apparently and I plan to resell it anyway.

Firestorm

I don't know where you get the idea the US dollar is strong. But yes, there are some fantastic deals. We don't have a Black Friday per se in the UK, but there are some early sales promotions around that time to get people shopping, so it's more or less the same. Of course, I can always take advantage of some US deals, since even with the import costs it will still be cheaper than buying local. Sterling is pretty weird for that atm.
He means the Australian dollar is strong compared to the US dollar and since he's new to the US, everything seems super cheap. The Canadian dollar is basically at par with the US dollar which has been pretty handy as well.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Bought too many clothes to count, but some lady peed on herself waiting in line in Best Buy on an HDTV. Never in my life I had seen something like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)